Magic Weaver

By shellpaperheart

Cedric is the servant of the much hated king, whose popularity is slipping fast while the country seems on th... More

Chapter One(v2)
Chapter Three(v2)
Chapter Four(v2)
Chapter Five(v2)
Chapter Six(v2)
Chapter Seven(v2)
Chapter Eight(v2)
Chapter NIne(v2)
Chapter Ten(v2)
Chapter Eleven(v2)
Chapter Twelve(v2)
Chapter Thirteen(v2)
Chapter Fourteen(v2)
Chapter Fifteen(v2)
Chapter Sixteen(v2)
Chapter Seventeen(v2)
Chapter Eighteen(v2)
Chapter Nineteen(v2)
Chapter Twenty(v2)
Chapter Twenty One(v2)
Chapter Twenty Two(v2)
Chapter Twenty Three(v2)
Chapter Twenty four(v2)
Chapter Twenty Five(v2)
Chapter Twenty Six(v2)
Chapter Twenty Seven(v2)
Chapter Twenty Eight(v2)
Chapter Twenty Nine(v2)
Chapter Thirty(v2)
Chapter Thirty One(v2)
Chapter Thirty Two(v2)
Chapter Thirty Three(v2)
Chapter Thirty Six(v2)
Chapter Thirty Eight(v2)
Chapter Thirty Nine(v2)
Chapter Forty(v2)
Chapter Forty One(v2)
Ghost's Love

Chapter Two(v2)

1.9K 41 3
By shellpaperheart

hey thanks for reading the second chapter hope you like it, and if you do I hope you let me know that(and criticism is always greatly appreciated) 

NOTE: the pic is a black and white of Jack. It was drawn by yours truly, so if you're wondering why it sux so much that's why XD I was having a lot of trouble with Jack's character at first, and it helps me to draw characters out, even if they're bad.

Chapter Two

The City of Yashu

Cedric dipped his mop into a bucket, grinning whilst repressing hysterical laughter, and spread water around the floor. The floor glimmered with wet water, washing away the dirty grim that had settled there. He smiled gleefully, unable to stop himself from expressing his joy. Rafe will have a nasty surprise later. He thought gleefully. Jack really was the perfect partner for mischief, even better than Emily. Unlike Emily, there was no-one constantly over Jack’s shoulder watching him, as the duke hadn’t the time for such nonsense. Nobody could ever believe that Jack was ever responsible for their pranks, and because Jack insisted that Cedric never left his sight, he couldn't be blamed either. Cedric danced around the kitchen, mopping up a bit of pudding that jumped from its plate. The constant rule-breaking made Rafe furious, as he was convinced the criminal was Cedric, and tried to break he and Jack apart, but the duke approved of the relationship and that protected it. Emily was even beginning to trust Jack a bit more, although she still expressed her concerns.  

The floor was now spotless. Cedric lifted the bucket, poured out its contents into the sink, and put the mop and bucket into a corner. Time to accompany Jack. He thought contently.  

"Are you in here Cedric?" the cook asked, ambling in.  

"Yes Cook."  

"Could you pick me up some potatoes? We just ran out and I want to make a stew tonight."  

Cedric groaned. "I went to the market yesterday."  

"I thought you liked getting out of the castle."  

Cedric shrugged in reply. Last time he went shopping the merchant seemed angry with him, his brows knitting together and his mouth forming a rock-hard line. Though he didn’t sat anything against Cedric, Cedric feared what would happen when the shopkeeper finally picked up the courage to express the rage he clearly felt. Not like he could blame him, because, after all, the castle received goods at a ridiculously cheap price, which lost the shopkeeper money. It was strange that the castle even demanded the goods at such a cheap price, as they had more money than all in the entire city, even the wealthiest gentleman. Then, at the same time, the people of the slums starved to death because they had to buy food at the normal price.   

The cook handed Cedric a few strips of paper money and a list. "Ah, could you get the things on this list as well?" Cedric's hand closed around the money in reluctant admittance.  

"Thank you Cedric."  

Cedric nodded while walking out the door. Through the halls Cedric spotted Emily, and even managed a waved before Katherine saw and shooed her back to work, scowling disapprovingly. Cedric kept his eyes on hers, as she stared at him with ugly turn in her mouth. Cedric nodded to her respectfully, hoping that the sign of respect would stop her from lecturing Emily about him, but the frown ceased to fade as Cedric past her. Only when Cedric's back was facing Katherine did he allow a smirk to cross his face. Katherine couldn't stand Cedric, for somehow she could sense his disrespectful nature. He continued on, unhindered, nodding once again to the various nobles that crossed his path, though they didn’t seem to notice him or pay him any mind. Cedric descended the stairs, and landed on the first floor of the castle. 

The first floor was primarily used to entertain guests and host festivities. There was a mammoth room down the stairs, where three thrones stood at the back, for the king, queen, and the prince. Grand tables were displayed in front of them and rugs displaying peacocks led to the front door, a sheet of warped glass, tipped at the top and split down the middle. Cedric went to the side of the main door and behind a curtain to an area carefully concealed. In the area stood a small metal door, and a guard. Cedric gritted his teeth in distaste, for standing in front of the door was none other than Rafe. Below a long narrow nose, Rafe made a slight movement with his thin lips as his eyes locked on Cedric. It looked like a passing snarl, but it was gone before Cedric could be sure. He bowed before Rafe, hoping that the added sign of respect (only a nod was necessary) would keep away any potential difficulties.  

"What do you want?" Rafe snapped impatiently.  

"I need to get out," Cedric explained, and handed Rafe the cook's list. "Sir."  

Rafe looked over the piece of paper, scanning it for any sign of fraud. "Fine." He relented after a moment. He reached into his pocket to fetch something and held out his hand expectedly. Cedric placed his hand in Rafe's and felt as unpleasant shiver run down his spine. His hand felt scaly and slimy, like a cross between a snake and a slug. Rafe pulled out a ring and rolled it onto Cedric's finger. Cedric studied the mysterious ring intently, trying to catch the secret. For some reason Rafe was the only person that could remove the servant's ring. It was a mysterious object; the cook told him that when the ring was on a servant's finger, Rafe always knew where that servant was. It seemed impossible, but Cedric somehow believed it. There had to be something stopping servants from running away, and a reason that a ring was necessary to get outside the castle. As Cedric's attention was elsewhere, Rafe crushed Cedric's wrist and pulled him closer to look Rafe straight in the eye. Cedric cried out but didn't struggle against him, for he knew it was useless.  

"Listen to me, you." He snarled. "I know it was you that messed with my stuff, you stupid troublesome rat. You better not try anything out there."  

"I-I won't. I promise." Cedric stuttered while staring into Rafe's dark eyes. How did Rafe find out it was him? He needed to be more careful next time. But, unlike Rafe was threatening him about, he never pulled stunts outside the castle, as he didn’t want to risk the small freedom he enjoyed so much. "Sir."  

Rafe released Cedric, and Cedric stumbled backward, catching himself right before he fell. His breath was light, frightened, as he looked up at Rafe. He wondered, for the first time in his life, if breaking all these rules was worth it. Rafe was becoming unstable, overly frustrated, and that would come back to bite him eventually. Things were going to spiral out of control if he wasn’t careful.   

"Be back by sunset." Rafe added as an afterthought, though it was unnecessary. The greatest law among servants, the one law that meant automatic death was being out after dark.  

Rafe reluctantly stepped aside to let Cedric pass. "If you try anything, there will be hell to pay." Rafe's fiery eyes assured Cedric the severity of that hell to pay. Any plans or plots washed from his mind, paling away into oblivion. Perhaps it was time he and Jack pulled back a bit from all the trouble. Cedric was dangerously close to being culled. Cedric inched past Rafe, his eyes on Rafe's hand, waiting for that hand to shoot out and grab him by the throat.  

Once past, Cedric rushed down the castle steps and breathed a sigh of satisfied relief. He looked back to the castle door, and pulled on the ring on his finger. As always, it gripped his digit tightly and refused to release. He hated that ring on his finger, that small band that kept him away from his freedom. If it didn’t exist, Cedric could run, run as fast as he could and be gone. Around him in the castle square endless forms swirled about on stone streets and cobblestone sidewalks, below crumbling metal buildings that once rose to the sky. Carriages flocked the streets, led by horses as others walked by foot on the sidewalks. All that passed looked up to the castle with a mixture of awe and envy, the ladies with their dresses that hugged slim waists with a full domed skirt, and the gentlemen that sported shirts with various collars and sometimes neckties tied into a bow underneath black waistcoats. A few especially rich men even wore black top hats upon their heads, which Cedric found ridiculously humorous. Although the city looked marvelously wealthy and fantastic here, the wealthy resided nearest to the castle, in the inner circle. As the city Yashu fanned out, the poverty became immediately apparent. Even here, in the corners of the streets, men with tattered clothes eyed the wealthy sullenly, looking for a victim to pickpocket. In the middle of the square was a magic weaver, moving various objects as a performance while another in the background waited to steal from those that stopped to observe. Cedric shook his head at the chaos, and walked on into a narrow street lined by buildings.  

The sound of clopping hooves drowned most of the human voices, footsteps, yells and laughter, but the loudest sound of all was that of a tram is it passed down the street, its bell ringing and its engine chugging as it moved on a railway in the middle of the boulevard. In the middle of its roof was a chimney that bellowed smoke into the crowd. Inns, bars, and even a few houses of the especially wealthy lined the streets, doors open and signs swinging lazily to welcome customers, but none of these stores carried what Cedric required.  

The constricted street widened out, like a river into a lake, and the carriages and people emptied out into Elephant Square. Clouds hung suspended over the square, threatening to topple onto them, though the people paid them no mind. It was enormous, and radiated screams, shouts, and yells. The sheer madness of the chaos gripped Cedric, though it was an excited sort of madness. They swirled and drifted along so it was impossible to tell where the source of the sound originated. Cedric was jostled along with the crowd, a mere stick amidst the ocean, glancing from one stand to another. They lined the square, standing out in front of the stores like an army before its king. Elephant Square was the only square where wealthy people shopped-it was too dangerous now for the rich to exit the inner circle-so shopkeepers that could not afford a building in the most popular place in the city to shop were forced to sell their goods in a stand instead.  

Cedric spotted the stand that knew about the king's secret 'special deal', where most of the servants shopped for food and pushed against the crowd, stumbling in front of the merchant, who was beginning to gray with age.  

"All these thing please." Cedric requested.  

The shopkeeper grinned quickly under his moustache and turned around. Cedric turned from the stand to watch people scatter about as he waited. They twisted and turned through the streets like a dance, while children ran playing underneath. He scanned everyone’s face that passed by, his attention turning to the next when they failed to possess the features he was looking for. He scrutinized each person, even the children, until Cedric realized he was searching for a face. A face with his brown eyes, his brown hair. His facial structure. Cedric turned his eyes away. Cedric, he knew, was unwittingly searching for his parents. When the castle required servants, a draft was held. Children about the age of four were taken from their parents. Those that held the draft managed to convince parents that their children would have a happier, more complete life with far more opportunities in the castle. Some even envied those that were drafted, hated them and were jealous of their 'perfect' life. And looking at the great elegant structure that overlooked all else, it was easy to believe that everyone, servant and prince alike, were happy there. The thought made Cedric smile wishfully. If only they knew. Sure, Cedric's stomach was always full, but he'd rather be his own person than anything else in the world. Cedric was that free person with real parents a long time ago, until he too was drafted. It was because of this that when Cedric entered the city he searched in a desperate bitter hope to see them. At least catch a glimpse of them, and what his life could have been like. A life without having to worry about Rafe, or getting culled, or having people step on you each and every day. A life where he was free, a life where he could be surrounded by people who loved him. A family, something so alien to Cedric, a term he had only seen from far away, but had never experienced it. He craved that life, a life with a family.   

"Here're your things." The shopkeeper called. Any small hope of seeing his parents died for the moment, and gave the shopkeeper all the money he carried on him.  

"This isn't enough." The shopkeeper stated expectantly.  

Cedric talentedly let his sleeve fall to reveal the king's mark.  

Upon seeing the mark, the shopkeeper appeared immensely displeased. "That isn't enough." He repeated, pronouncing each word with force, daring Cedric to argue.  

"That is all I have." Cedric forcedly hissed. What in the world was this stupid shopkeeper trying to accomplish? Rafe would kill him if he didn’t return with the goods he promised, and would force him to admit the shopkeeper had refused. Then, the shopkeeper would be tried to treason. Didn’t he understand that this was the quickest way to both their deaths? People began to look over curiously, somehow sensing the tense words.  

The merchant took the goods off the counter. "Then I'm afraid I can't sell you these things."  

Cedric gritted his teeth. If he came back without anything, Rafe would have his head, and the shopkeeper’s as well. "Listen to me, please." Cedric begged. "You don't understand. "You can save yourself a lot of pain if you just give me my things. If you refuse me you'll be refusing the king."  

"Don't you try to threaten me!" the shopkeeper snapped loudly. Now most that walked by looked over, and some even stopped to watch the spectacle. Damn. This was attracting more attention than he wanted. "I'm sick you castle people coming down here and cheating me." The old man ranted on. "Listen!" he was now addressing the crowd. "This servant comes every week and ruins me! He demands to pay only a third of the price, and threatens me if I refuse to sell to him!"  

All in the crowd stopped to listen, whispers gathering strength as they rolled through the group, a feeling of rage quickly eclipsing one of curiosity. Not many knew that the king was getting goods for a steal while the rest suffered and the poor starved. Animosity radiated from the crowd, for most hated the king. A group of men shrugged through the crowd and stood in front of Cedric, glaring at him with pure hate. They wore ragged clothes and unshaved faces. Cedric figured they must be beggars, thieves, perhaps even magic weavers. Something of that sort. The people that hated the king the most.   

"I'm sick of this damn king taking whatever he wants and leaving us scraps." One of them proclaimed. "I'm not going to put up with it anymore!"  

The mass of people shouted in agreement, and another yelled, "The king has been treating us like dirt for much too long! It's past time we stop this injustice!"  

"I say we send the king a message." The storekeeper agreed. A look of sudden savagery spread among the multitude. They stepped forward and Cedric tipped back. What were they going to do? Cedric knew how much the poor loathed the king, but how far would they go to send a message? Would they maim him? Beat him? Kill him? Cedric didn’t want to find out.   

Something metal glinted, and Cedric reeled to the side. "I wasn't threatening him!" Cedric argued feebly, but it seemed to only agitate them. He wanted to try and explain further, but had enough sense to hold his tongue. They didn't understand his situation, and trying to reason with them wouldn't help. They were getting closer, much too close. Cedric's mind whirled wildly as he sensed the overwhelming violence among the sea of glittering eyes and smirks that mocked his fear.  

Cedric quickly made up his mind, and shot off in between two building where the crowd hadn't cornered him yet. They went after him, yelling, fueled by adrenaline and each other. Cedric dashed in the allies, taking random rights and lefts, attempting to confuse them as much as possible. He could hear their running footsteps right behind him. Cedric ran and ran and urged his legs on as fast as they could go.  

Finally the sound of the massing mob had dissipated. They had given up. Cedric threw himself on the floor behind a building, heaving and shaking uncontrollably. He had never run that fast for that long in his entire life. He thought the mob might kill him if they managed to catch up with him. There was no telling what their capabilities were. Guess I won't be going back to that stand. He thought humorlessly. But there was still Rafe to worry about. He would be angry if Cedric returned without anything, including money. He would assume Cedric spent it for himself and had a fun day in the city, not that he was almost killed by a band of beggars because of the king. Cedric scoffed at the situation.   

For the first time Cedric looked around at his surroundings to see where he was. And groaned. He had run deep into the slums of Yashu. If the buildings in the inner circle of Yashu were falling apart, these buildings were rubble. Less than half of them still stood, and those that did only rose one or two levels before their open tops gaped at the sky. All the windows were smashed, and doors were primarily nonexistent. Cedric had run much farther than he thought. And he had no idea how to get back to the castle.  

Cedric stood off the ground, onto his toes, and to his surprise, over the tops of the buildings he could see the tip of the castle. At least he knew the general direction that he was supposed to go. He started walking. Cedric hoped that somehow he could get back to the castle in time. He’d have to get there in time, or he was as good as dead.  

At first glance the city seemed deserted, but Cedric knew that the many in Yashu lived in these skeleton structures. They couldn't afford to live anywhere else in the city. Sure enough, as Cedric peered though door less buildings he could see proof of life. Shadows ran across the buildings' sides. This area was well known to harbor criminals, thieves and magic weavers. Cedric was suddenly aware of how he was dressed. Like a servant, with a collared buttoned shirt with a long coat over it, it was obvious that he did not belong in this area. He had nothing that was worth stealing, and Cedric hoped that nothing would happen. These people had a great amount of rage harbored inside because of the rich, and they were naturally violent.  

"Would you like your fortune told?" A woman asked him from her doorway. The home was in relatively good condition relative to the others. There was something knowing in her eyes, a slyness that made Cedric wary. Magic weavers could never be trusted; they used their dark abilities to trick the unfortunate.  

"No thank you." Cedric replied politely, and moved on.  

"I could show you the way you're looking for." She called out.  

Cedric stopped. Did she know that he wanted to find the way back to the castle? Could she really help him? Or was she simply speaking figuratively? He was tempted to go back, but stopped himself at the last minute and kept moving forward. He couldn't let himself be swindled by a magic weaver.  

Red tinted the sky and bounced into the alleyways after some time. Soon it would be dark. Cedric bit his lip nervously. Although he tried to keep in the direction toward the castle, the twisting allies had turned him back and forth, sometimes toward the castle, sometimes away from it. Cedric couldn't tell where he was going anymore. He looked at the king's mark on his hand and snarled. Damn it! That mark was what got him into this trouble. If only he hadn't run, but if he hadn't, who knows what would have happened. The hopelessness of Cedric's situation occurred to him, and he had to stop a small whimper escape. If he couldn't make it back soon, he was dead. There was no question about it. In desperation Cedric walked through the allies, and when he saw a man, approached him, though he looked like a rather untrustworthy individual, to ask which was the castle was. He, as the rest he approached, shed away from him like he was a disease without a word of help.  

Cedric stared up at the sky, watching the dark pierce the waning sunset with surprising force. It was as if in a blink the sun had vanished. Cedric looked up at the starry night, and the moon that declared his crime against the castle. Cedric looked at the ring on his finger. What would happen now? Would Rafe come and find him? Should he continue toward the castle? The thought crossed his mind that if he ever did try to escape, now would be the time. He was dead anyway, so why not try his chance at freedom? There was still that ring to worry about. With it, Rafe could track Cedric down. But maybe the ring didn't actually work. Cedric knew of no technology capable of tracking down a man through a mere band around the finger. Perhaps the ring was simply to make the servants think they had no chance to escape. Cedric glanced toward the castle that rose above all else. It looked closer. Or maybe not. He looked at the path that led away. He was torn. It wasn't fair! He had every intention of returning to the castle, had never even dreamed of breaking this rule. If there was any chance he could go back without being killed, he would take it without a second thought. But it wasn't fair! Why would breaking this rule, the one he had no control over breaking, be the death of him?  

"Rafe," he moaned softly. "help me." He wanted nothing more than to go back and pretend like nothing had ever happened.  

Cedric only had the time to gasp before something exploded over his head, smashing into his brain. Everything ceased in Cedric's consciousness as he fell motionlessly to the ground.  

In love with it? Become a fan so you know the minute I post the next chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.4K 1.1K 56
(Y/N) is the older sister of Princess Sofia. She is a hardworking girl from the village trying to work her way to become a sorceress. But when her mo...
153K 7.5K 33
A foreign headmaster goes to England for a trip. He feels a pull of magic and follows it to a home where he witnesses Harry being horribly abused. Th...
2K 80 42
Aurora hates Cedric. Cedric is in love with Aurora. A misunderstanding caused her to think that he was a horrible person with no redeeming qualities...
132 0 32
The king isn't well loved by the people, and for good reason. Corruption thrives in all ranks of the country, and it suffocates the innocent in its c...