To Live Is To Fight (#2)

Por justanothergirl1314

Second book of 'The Nerd Can Fight' Series *You'll need to read the first book to understand this one* After... Más

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue
Prequel - Bryant's Story

Chapter 21

8.2K 343 60
Por justanothergirl1314

Wow that's 2 months passed already. Not cool J.

~•~•~

"Have fun, sweetie!" I waved over my shoulder at my mom, getting into the car.

I slid the keys in the ignition and turned on the engine before pulling out of the driveway. Switching on the radio, I searched for a good music channel to listen to while i hummed under my breath.

Was I nervous? Kind of. I mean, how different could it be to high school right?

If you can't read between the lines, I'm amusing myself, just FYI.

Ed Sheeran's "Perfect" surrounded my car and I stopped meddling with the radio, to sit back and enjoy the music while driving my way up to the Uni. I tried to refrain from thinking about anything. I tried to keep my mind off Adam, off street-fighting. I'm sorry but I honestly don't have a death wish. I still meed to win that stupid competition to ensure my loved ones' safety.

Well, half safety I guess; with everything going on lately, I don't think the competition is the key to everything. I still need to deal with psycho Dom and that asshole brother-murderer. I can still remember he ugly scowl on his face that made me itch to buy him some princess tiara to make him lose the scowl. In my defense, it was one ugly scowl.

After another 15 minutes of driving, I could finally see the rising building of where I'll be spending the next last 4 years of education in. It looked great, better than my high school at least. I haven't taken a walk around so this will be a first and I hope I'll like it.

I had to drive around the parking lot to find an empty space and when I finally found it, it was a pretty far walk to the building's entrance. The sun was beating against my bared neck, my covered back and the top layer of hair on my head. I didn't want to make a run for it and sweat worse so I tried speed walking instead which didn't work out so well either but unless I want to look like a prissy chink and make a fuss over a little sun, I should deal with it like a man. Ignorant outside, annoyed as hell on the inside.

When I finally went in, I tried to navigate my way through the halls. Using the map they emailed to me to find the room I'm supposed to be in. Aside from the map, they emailed me my schedule too so I simply need to put my scout girl game on and try to not get lost in this forsaken building with its branched out halls. I swear, it feels more like a maze than a university. It felt like whoever designed the place purposely made every turn identical to test the newbie's patience and map reading skills. It's really close to impossible.

Still, I stressed as little as I can and stuck to the plan in trying to not end up in a deserted hallway that turns out to be haunted and get killed by the zombies living along it. Did that make sense? No? Oh well, people did say I have an imagination bigger than what's considered healthy.

Five minutes into trying to make sense out of the drawings on the map, I finally found room 830. I was getting agitated by the second. Why can't this school make up something more creative? Why not use food names rather than numbers to label out the classrooms? Section 'Sweets' has rooms 'candies', 'lollipops' and 'chocolates'. Wouldn't that be much easier to remember? Okay, I may be really bitchy right now but Jesus people, the numbers are driving me to the edge of sanity.

I have a grudge against numbers right now u see. I've seen numbers 947, 805, 532, 490, etc. and I honestly do not see a pattern in the numberings of the rooms. How the hell am I supposed to remember where room 830 is located? Am I supposed to be depending on this overwhelming map?

When I entered the room, there were already a few people inside spread out throughout the room. There were enough sits for around 30 people, it wasn't a hall but it wasn't exactly a small class. I took the seat nearest to the aisle, in the very front of the class and took out my notebook and a pencil case to get ready for the class. Looking around, I set my bag to the space beside my feet. The walls were a pale cream, a projector hung from the ceiling, pointing towards the white board that was attached to the wall. A white screen was rolled up above the white board. The professor's table was clean with no traces of any papers lying around. A desktop, keyboard and a mouse was on the table along with what looked to be two remotes. 2 air conditioner was blasting cold air into the room from the upper side of the right wall, opposite from the door.

The tables for the students to sit at were long. There were 5 chairs at a table and there were 3 rows of tables and 2 columns. The chairs were white and plastic but fairly comfortable.

I finish at 12 today and get to take a look around the campus more after, they supposedly hold up a fair to show the newbies all the sorts of clubs their student body offer. But we all know I got my full plate with off school things to do that are much more interesting than clubs.

Sounds arrogant, yes, I know.

I was fairly confident that I can get through the day without any trouble. Maybe make a few friends. Maybe not. I have this stupid trust instincts that really needs to be handled more carefully. I can't easily trust people in such a huge school compound. You can never know for sure of someone's background.

My main aim is to get through the year without:
a) dying
b) failing / expelled

I guess we're gonna have to tackle things one at a time. Until the next fight schedule comes up, I'll have to focus on Uni life. Yipee.

I just hope that no one picks a fight with me. I don't think I have that good of a grip on my anger with what's been happening lately.

Once the professor came in, there were already more students in the room and the introductions flowed smoothly. The professor was a he, maybe in his mid 40s. He had greying hair, a pair of spectacles perched on the bridge of his nose that had a thin chain connected to it, trailing behind his neck.

After dropping what little things he brought into the class, he took out a board marker and started writing down what I assume to be his name, "Mr. Walter"

The professor taught us the ropes on where to find the things we might need before announcing how the academic semester would go on. When the exams are gonna be given and where he'd be grading us from. All the while, tending to the students' ridiculous remarks from time to time. He doesn't seem to be the teacher that acts like he's being chased by time. He took his sweet time with going through the things that will help us get through the year. He joked about a few things here and there, and in that moment I decided that I like this type of teacher. He's laid back but he gets through the necessary points without boring us to death.

"I won't start teaching today so feel free to look around. There will be stands at the field that'll show you the clubs in this community that you might find interesting. Have fun!" He dismissed with a smile

That was quick, it only took 1/2 of the supposed time and that means it gives me time to stop by the place where the street fight competition is held to check the schedule. Since I don't have Levy to send me texts anymore, it's gonna be up to me to keep track of the fights.

Since I've got another 1 and a half hour to spare, I allowed myself to wander around the school and maybe check out the stands on the field to humor myself. I have no intentions to join any of them since my time's being eaten up by the fights anyways.

Looking at the students in the University, I found myself wishing that maybe one day my life would stop being so fucked up so that I'll get a pinch of normal in my life. The only thing normal right now is my parents and that's because they don't know I've been street fighting. The whole Adam, Dom, Levy, crazy psycho brother thing is far from normal.

But looking at the bright side, at least I shook Sonia away from my hide. Maddison isn't that big of a bitch anymore and no more letting people push me over. I just need to adjust my anger management and not snap at people. I do miss Penelope, Jake and Monic. Penelope got accepted in a Uni in the neighboring town which is around an hour away and as for Jake and Monic, they've been holding on strong, still in high school.

I shook away from my thoughts and tried to find my way to the field which wasn't hard because there were a lot of people walking in one direction so I simply followed the crowd.

I found it much easier to blend in than it was in high school. Most probably no one here labelled me as the cause of my brother's death and that if someone was to go around terrorizing people, they'll be kicked out in a second. Uni implanted a great first impression in me. A calm life, away from the chaos.

There seemed to be dozens of stands, each representing a club run by the students themselves. There were the choir, the crafters, the dancers, the IT geeks, the book club, the divers, the tree huggers, etc.

I walked around while people were standing in front of their respective stands, trying to recruit new members with their flyers and their shouts. Everyone had a smile at their faces, some sweating a bit. The whole place was swarming with people looking around, some kept on walking, some stopped to observe and some signed up.

I was about to leave when someone tapped my shoulder. She was holding flyers and standing in front of the stand that promotes the martial arts club. Her body was petite and it honestly shocked me that she was a member of such a club. Although I have seen girls similar to her figure fighting in the ring before, it still came as a surprise at how slender her figure is.

I raised an eyebrow at her, "Can I help you?"

"Yes, hi, I'm Megan and I'm from this club," she pointed to the stand behind her over her shoulder.

"Yeah, I noticed." I replied, looking pointedly at the flyers in her hands. She flushed a bright red; the shy type. I tried to test the waters.

"Doesn't it get odd with the guys in the club when you guys spar? Don't the girls get special treatment and a bit dismissed when it comes to fighting the guys?" I asked her.

Megan shook her head with a small smile. "We're pretty open in the club, we teach each other. The guys teach us where to hit where it hurts most and we teach them how to counter a dirty move. However, we rarely mix the spars between the guys and girls."

I guess I looked a bit apprehensive at her answer so she continued.

"Here's a flyer, you don't need to give me a straight answer, just think about it. My contacts are in the flyer in case you decide to join us." She handed me a flyer and smiled.

I smiled back and walked away quickly. I do not like human interaction where it gets awkward because- well, because it's awkward and uncomfortable.

I decided that it's time to get out of there and check the place for the competition to extract the fight schedule. I walked back to my car and sat in the driver's seat while looking down at the leaflet.

There were pictures of people sparring, most guys and girls separately. There's also a picture of the gym, probably where they mostly train.

I slipped the flyer in my dashboard compartment and turned on the engine.

I got way too much on my plate to join a club like that. Pointless and a waste of time, if you ask me.

With that thought, I got off campus ground and went home to get my bike.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

96 3 21
Cassandra MacGarrett isn't social, not anymore. She has friends she can count on one hand and her twin brother. Her life is simple nowadays: school...
49 7 7
They were high school sweethearts who went their own ways in college. A few years later they reconnected and things were on the path to a happy ever...
7.9K 846 55
This is book 2 in the Moonwalker pack series, it can not be read as a stand alone. Please make sure you have read The Beta's Daughter first. Micah Ko...
867K 25.5K 26
"I own you, Cassia. Your body, your heart, your soul- they belong to me. Don't ever try to deny me something that's mine because I can promise you th...