DISTANCE (Josh Dun x Reader)...

By idkbrooklyn

❝THERE'S NO SUNSHINE.❞ ☼ (SEQUEL TO CLOSE) More

prologue
one
two
three
four
the album
five
six
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty øne
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
-
book three
THE PROLOGUE

seven

7.3K 249 476
By idkbrooklyn

-Your P.O.V-

I eventually step outside with Josh as the cool Columbus air immediately hits both of us in a chill breeze.

Since it was night time it was a bit colder out than it was earlier.

After an awkward walk of silence to Josh's vehicle, he unlocks the car with shaky hands and we both get inside.

As Josh and I sit down, we both inhale and exhale deeply as Josh is starting the car and turning on the heat.

Josh starts to reverse and back up out of the parking lot and I start to think to myself.

So should I ask Josh why he wanted me to go with him instead of someone else or?

Like why did he choose his ex girlfriend out of all people? Like I know we're friends now but Josh still acts a little weird around me and-

"So who is that guy that keeps staring at you?" Josh pulls me out of my thoughts as he says something rather absurd.

"Uh what? What do you mean?" I reply having no idea what Josh is even talking about.

Josh kinda chuckles a bit at his random outburst before sighing.

"Uh, nevermind. Heh. It doesn't matter now." Josh shrugs as he pulls into Taco Bell.

Um. Okay? That was odd.

Whatever, I guess it's time to get weird!

I'll ask why he wanted me to go with him.

"So why did you-"

"We're here!" Josh interrupts me before taking out his keys and quickly exiting the warm car into the cold air.

I sit there for a second before finally leaving the vehicle and following after him.

"Josh!" I signal him to turn around and wait up for me but he's walking so fast.

I guess he's just cold and wants to get into warm Taco Bell?

I try to make up excuses as to why Josh is walking so quickly away from me.

He enters Taco Bell and after about five seconds so do I.

I spot Josh already in line and walk over to him.

"Thanks for waiting up." I sarcastically say before nudging his side.

He gives me a little fake laugh as someone would after someone else told a joke that definitely wasn't funny but you wouldn't want to tell them that so you give them a pity laugh.

What is up with him tonight?

Josh orders for me, him and the rest of the gang.

The cashier tells us the order will be ready soon.

Josh and I thank him before going over and sitting down at a booth waiting for our food.

I notice Josh keeps wrestling with his own thumbs and looking out the window into the black sky outside completely covered in clouds, not one star or even the moon noticeable at the moment.

"Hey Josh?" I try to get him to look over at me.

He looks over at me.

"Uh, weird question. Why didn't you ask Tyler to go with you here instead of me? I'm just wondering." I ask the brown eyed boy.

He bites his lips before beginning a response.

"Does it matter?" He replies tilting his head.

I could tell he didn't mean it in a rude way, he was just questionable.

"Well, no but-"

Before I could say anymore, the cashier calls out for Josh telling him his order is ready and Josh exits the booth as fast as possible.

I get out at a slower, more normal pace as Josh gets the order.

"Ready to go?" Josh quickly asks me as his foot taps on the ground as if he's growing impatient.

"Uh sure but-"

And of course, Josh exits the Taco Bell before I could say anything else.

-Josh's P.O.V-

My feet start to move about as quickly as my thoughts as I exit Taco Bell.

Ugh, why am I in such a hurry? I can't even look (Y/N) in the eye without feeling something. Plus, it's not like I want her going back to the bar anytime soon just so that guy can stare at her some more.

"Joosshh."

What am I even doing? (Y/N)'s not mine why am i so worried about whether or not someone else thinks she's attractive?

"Josh!"

But...what if I gave her another chance?

No, no. (Y/N) doesn't want another chance with me. What am I thinking? I'm not one to decide that.

Your relationship didn't work out with her before Josh. Why do you think you can stand a chance with her again?

"JOSH!"

I soon realize all that distant noise I was hearing was actually (Y/N) calling my name. I turn around to finally look and see that I'm walking way too fast for her to catch up with me.

-Your P.O.V-

After some time and yelling, I get to Josh to turn around and stop walking so fast.

"What is up with you!?" I burst out before realizing I probably shouldn't have said that.

Whoops.

Josh backs up a bit before blinking a few times.

"What are you talking about?" Josh replies crossing his arms.

And suddenly, I don't feel the cold Colombus air anymore. I feel overwhelmingly warm and irritated. All I wanted was to hide.

"It's just...you've been acting weird tonight." I admit before imitating Josh's action and also crossing my arms.

Josh gulps as he tries to think of a response I assume.

"Uh, I didn't-I didn't realize.." Josh sighs and his shoulders drop down and he becomes a bit more relaxed.

I sigh again following Josh's actions.

"Well...you've just acted different tonight. Like more intense if that makes sense. It may just be me thinking that. I don't know. Sorry." I weirdly reply as I feel my cheeks start to get red from the chill wind but also from my random outburst.

Josh steps a bit closer to me.

"No, I'm sorry. I realize I've been acting weird." Josh confesses to me as his head turns a bit to the side.

"W-Why? If you don't mind me asking." I ask bravely.

"I-Uh, I'm not quite sure. Just a lot on my mind." He says as his arms become uncrossed and fall down to his sides.

"You can talk to me you know." I place my hand on Josh's arm. "We're friends, remember?"

-Josh's P.O.V-

There's that word again.

Friends.

The way (Y/N) said that sentence while placing her hand on me makes me want to leave the world for a while so I can try to figure everything out.

I look at her hand.

Her knuckles are red and her hands seem a bit shaky. I can't tell if it's from the cold weather, if she's just as nervous as I am or a bit of both.

I place my identical red, shaky hand over hers before looking her in the eyes for about the second time this year.

"I know." I nod my head.

"Is that Josh Dun?" I hear a voice from behind me say.

I turn around to see a girl and what looks like her friend about fifteen feet away from (Y/N) and I.

(Y/N) must have noticed as well since she also looks over my shoulder at the duo of people standing there.

My heart beats a bit faster at the thought of someone seeing me with (Y/N) again. I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea and that we were dating again because as of now I thought everyone in the clique and all of (Y/N)'s fans got the idea we weren't together anymore. I didn't want to mislead them or anything. What do I do?

"Uh. Hey. Yeah, it's me." I chuckle as I rub the back of my neck.

(Y/N) seems a bit embarrassed as I am. I see her smile as her face paints even more pink on her already cherry red cheeks.

She also rubs the back of her neck as she backs away from me a bit.

-Your P.O.V-

Woah, what just happened?

I look over at Josh as he's taking selfies and talking to some fans.

He touched my hand and for some reason, I felt something besides friendship.

I start questioning if I'm starting to like him again or if I ever even stopped liking Josh in the first place.

My head drops as I place my cold hands on my warm forehead, hoping to cool down.

I pull out my phone from my coat pocket and see a message from Karma.

"what's taking so long? we're starving over here lmao"

I read Karma's message before replying with frozen fingers as I type one letter every five seconds it feels like.

"sorry. something came up, i gotta talk to u when we get back"

After about a minute, I hear my phone go off again with another text message from Karma.

"uhh. don't think u need to."

Along with Karma's message, I see a link. I click on it before the link takes me directly to the twitter app. I see a tweet from what looks to be a twenty one pilots fan account.

"so apparently josh was spotted at taco bell with (Y/N)? are they back together? whats going on!!!"

I guess I shouldn't be surprised twitter already knows what's happening but I didn't think it would turn out to be such a big deal.

After glimpsing at the replies, I realize I was wrong.

Very wrong.

-Josh's P.O.V-

After saying goodbye to everyone, I walk over to (Y/N).

"Sorry for taking so long." I apologize as she looks from her phone screen up at me.

"Oh, don't worry about it." (Y/N) brushes it off with a small grin.

"Shall we leave? I think the tacos are getting cold." I hold up the Taco Bell box.

"That's the last thing we would want. Let's!" (Y/N) smiles wide.

I watch her start to skip merrily over to the car.

Why does she do this to me?

I shake my head before following.

A/N: so here's an update to make up for the april fools joke i did earlier lmao sorry for the scare! and to those who genuinely got sad i apologize but it warms my heart to know how much you like the story!!!

also i think i'm gonna make a youtube channel soon! so if you have any video ideas or whatevs let me know :-)

thank u for reading and i hope u have a lovely day or night

stay rad

LATER

-b

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.2K 1.6K 33
Highest Ranking: #1 in tylerxreader #1 in trench #1 in dema #1 in joshxreader #1 in 21pilots #1 in welcometotrench
224K 3.7K 26
"i love you" read at 11:11 am -COMPLETED HIGHEST RANKING: #11 in Fanfiction
68K 1.5K 80
These are not related to one another in anyway, just a collection of random one shots!
90.3K 3K 49
lowercase intended. requests open.