Buried (Bailey Roberts Trilog...

By gossamersilverglow

[Original] When Bailey's best friend Gwen goes missing, the perfect little town of Haven crumbles and Bailey'... More

01: Hello World pt. 1 [3rd Draft]
03a: Sounds of Madness [3rd draft]
03B: Dream On [3rd draft]
04: Hello World Pt. 2 [3rd Draft]
05: The Real Me [3rd Draft]
06: Everybody Talks [3rd draft]
07: Complicated [3rd draft]
08: What I Really Meant To Say [3rd draft]
09: What Was I Thinking [3rd draft]
10: Wild Horses [3rd draft]
11: Who Knew [3rd draft]
12: If I Die Young [3rd Draft]
13: Life Ain't Always Beautiful [3rd Draft]
14: Unseen [3rd Draft]
15: Point of No Return [3rd Draft]
16: Zombie [3rd Draft]
17: Imaginary pt. 1 [3rd Draft]
18: Imaginary pt. 2 [3rd Draft]
19: Hey Soul Sister [3rd Draft]
20: Hello Bad Things [3rd Draft]
21: Going Through the Motions [3rd Draft]
22: Torn and Troubled [3rd Draft]
23: Fighter [3rd Draft]
24: Chasing Cars [3rd Draft]
25: Unconditionally [3rd Draft]
26: You Oughta Know [3rd Draft]
27: Nobody's Fool [3rd draft]
28: Unity [3rd draft]
29: Breakeven [3rd Draft]
30: .45 These Dreams [3rd Draft]
31: Powerless Changes [3rd draft]

02: Home [3rd draft]

408 38 26
By gossamersilverglow

AN: Want to clarify again that this is the 3rd draft. The first chapters in the book are fourth drafts, but I'm not posting anymore than that up! 

"You're gorgeous, smart, and funny, sometimes unintentionally. They'll be crazy not to like you at this new school, Bails," Gale said

You have to say that, Bailey thought to herself.

"I didn't say that because I had to either."

Bailey scoffed, "Mind reader."

Gale shrugged. "I'm your mother, did you expect anything less? Really, sweetheart, you shouldn't worry."

"I'm not worried," Bailey said.

It was true enough. At least, about what Gale thought she should be worried about. Bailey was more concerned with something else. That something started around her thirteenth birthday. At first her friends had thought it was cool, after all, Bailey hadn't always been right about her guesses. As that year progressed people became uncomfortable with it and then, very subtly, she wasn't asked to go to birthday parties anymore, or out to movies with friends.

Bryan, the hunk of seventh grade wouldn't even look her in the eye. Bailey thought it was because he'd liked her. When she asked him if he wanted to go to the movies with her, he'd never once looked her in the eye as he politely declined, saying he and his family were very devout Catholics.  To this day, Bailey wasn't sure what being Catholic had to do with going out to a PG movie.

It happened at her old school, it was going to happen here. No matter how much more control she had over her mouth. No matter how much she suppressed it. People didn't understand that it was just luck. Everybody makes lucky guesses. It's getting so many correct in a row that started to make them uneasy.

Gale glanced over skeptically. "Look at this as an opportunity to reinvent yourself."

Bailey frowned. It was probably a good thing, her thoughts being interrupted, but her family didn't understand, except her dad. Derrick had looked at her strangely a few times over the years. He'd even teased her for being so 'lucky' and 'smart'. He couldn't help her now, not that she needed it anyway. She didn't need anything from him.

"Mom, I don't-"

The GPS interrupted again before she could finish the sentence, letting them know they'd arrived at their destination. When Gale gasped with delighted approval, Bailey lifted her gaze towards the house as they pulled in to the driveway. Its design looked ancient but was preserved so well that it appeared brand new. Old and huge were the only words Bailey could think of. The dark and sky blue siding could've just been applied for all they knew. There were eight circular stark white columns surrounding the front door, four on each side of a set of matching stairs that broadened at the bottom.

"There's a balcony," Bailey whispered, thinking 'there is a God' and things were definitely looking up. "If that's a room, I call it!"

"No! We haven't even—" Matt immediately started to argue.

"I'm older, end of story."

"Mom!"

Gale shook her head, clearly on Bailey's side. "Mattie, I don't want you near a balcony at night. You sleep walk baby."

"I don't either," he mumbled, sounding highly offended as he shifted the green and brown blanket off of his lap when the car stopped. "I can't find my shoes." He complained as he bent forward, shuffling through the empty candy and chip wrappers.

Bailey smiled broadly and reached for her empty bottle of Dr. Pepper, throwing it childishly his way. "Twerp."

He lifted his chubby eleven-year-old face and gave her a master glare. Bailey was almost proud. 

"Well, come on, let's get our stuff inside. I had everything furnished ahead of time so we should have everything we need. I even got you that new pillow top bed you've been asking about, Bails."

Dad paid for it was Bailey's first thought, but she squashed it down and let herself gasp with pleasure. He wasn't going to ruin this and besides she'd been the one to tell him to get a second lottery ticket in the first place. She even specifically told him to have the machine randomize the numbers for that ticket. The winning ticket. So technically, it should be her money. Maybe, if she ever spoke to her father again, she could throw that in his face.

Bailey clasped her hands together, attempting to contain her excitement. "You didn't!" When Gale nodded, Bailey decided things weren't going to be completely bad here in Haven.

Leaping out of the seat, she followed Gale around to the trunk of the car, hauled out her red and black rolling suitcase, and purposely let Matt's fall out. His bag had been on top of hers and she simply couldn't resist.

"Hey!" He cried in outrage, scrambling to try and catch it.

"Bailey, after we're finished unloading everything remind me to call Mrs. Stone. She was nice enough to offer her daughter's uniform for you."

Bailey slipped her arms through the straps of her book bag and hauled it up. "Uniform?"

"I can't carry this! It's too heavy." Matt grunted with exertion as he tried to lift one of his heavier bags from the trunk.  

Heaving a sigh, Bailey snatched up his second bag, grunting with surprise at the added weight of the bag. It was probably the only one that didn't have rollers and it happened to be the one that weighed a ton. "What's in here? Bricks?"

Matt shook his head, giving her generous flash of white teeth. "Comics, some books and movies too."

Bailey sneered at him, but followed Gale towards the house. "Uniforms?" Bailey prompted again, still waiting for a response from Gale.

"Oh-um-Haven Prep, you have to wear a uniform. It was the last thing on my mind when I was speaking to her about the house. Thankfully, she seems to be a well rounded realtor and thought of it for me. However, we'll have to eventually get you sized for one," Gale said as she set her bag against the side of the house and jostled around her purse searching for something.

It took the glinting of metal from the key her mom pulled out for Bailey to register what she'd said. The bags in her hands and the book bag on her back dropped simultaneously. "Hand me downs from Amanda is one thing, but from an unknown person is just unacceptable!"

Gale rolled her eyes. "I'm sure they've washed it," she said, pushing the key into the door.

"That is entirely beside the point." Bailey started, but the argument lost its way as she tilted her head to peek inside when the door creaked fully open. It was completely dark.

Gale muttered a curse as Bailey heard a light switch flickering on and off. "No power. I'll have to call and let them know we're here a day early. Let's just put our bags on the porch for now."

Bags forgotten, Bailey took a step backwards and rubbed the goose bumps from her arms. It was pretty cold for them to not have power for the night. Bailey seriously hoped this small town was quick in getting things done because she didn't know if any of them could handle another hotel. It was fun at first, but after the second week it all seemed monotonous. 

Matt darted off the porch with a boisterous shout of glee and circled the large oak tree in the middle of the yard before heading towards the car to grab another bag. Gale and Bailey followed, less enthusiastic about actually having to do work. Gale continued to the car, but curiosity got the better of Bailey. Taking a detour, she walked through the crunching grass towards the side of the house, peeking to see that the woods surrounding the front of the house went all the way around. She inhaled sharply. The smell of nature wasn't always so refreshing.

"Yep. We're definitely isolated from any kind of civilization." Bailey called to them. "This forest just wraps around the house."

Gale glanced around the open trunk door. "Bailey, you can explore later. Let's get this stuff out of the car."

A shiver ran down her spine as she turned in a circle, taking in her surroundings. Trees, trees, and more trees. They were everywhere. A town of a few thousand Haven may be, but isolated they were.

Oh great, now I want to watch Star Wars, Bailey thought, heaving a sigh. It was a movie marathon that couldn't happen... at least not today.

Folding her arms across her chest, she strolled towards the car again, contemplating the situation when a brilliant idea popped into her head. She bit her lip and set her gaze on Matt, letting a snicker loose as she tiptoed towards him.

 "Hello serial killers. Welcome!" she shouted right next to his ear.

He yelped and dropped the pile of socks he'd been gathering. They must've fallen loose during the trip. "You jerk!"

"Personally, I'm hoping for killer clowns from outer space, but I think this looks like Jason territory. Jason's that guy with the hockey mask and machete. Remember that movie I made you watch? You cried like a baby the entire time..." Bailey threw her head back, letting her laugh escape towards the sky as she spread her arms wide and twirled. "No one's gonna hear us scream, you know. We're ripe for the taking."

 "Bailey, stop frightening your brother!"

"You mean stop frightening you?" Gale was scared of her own shadow sometimes, just like Amanda and Matt. Bailey on the other hand loved horror movies, scaring people, and being scared. She had this tally of 'who could scare the most' going on with her dad... Bailey stopped in the middle of the yard as the ache of betrayal and pain thumped through her heart again. He wouldn't ruin her fun now.

She shook her head dramatically, which succeeded in two things: no more thoughts and crazy hair. She held her hands up, slicing them through the air, and made her eyes widen in mock fear. "Wait, do you hear that?"

Gale frowned, subtly glancing around, before she scowled and plunked her hands on her hips. "Bailey Anne..."

"It's a chainsaw!" Bailey squealed as she mimicked a victim running around in circles. "It's Leatherface. Run for your lives-oomph." She grunted as she slammed into something hard. Bouncing off it, she fell to the ground, splat on her back. Gasping for breath, she remained still, staring up at the dimly lit sky in surprise.

"Now, who put a wall in the middle of the driveway?" She growled angrily.

"Are you okay?" A masculine voice sounded in her ears.

"No, I am not okay! What's the big idea, standing in the middle of the driveway? People are walking here."

"To be fair, you're not in the driveway," the man said.

Bailey stuck her tongue to the roof of her mouth, making a popping noise of dissatisfaction.

"Bailey, be polite!" Gale scolded before she could even respond to the guy's asinine response.

Bailey's mouth slammed shut as Gale's words completely interrupted her thought process. She vaguely heard the muffled sound of footsteps coming her way, but she refused to stand up. Not until this person offered a helping hand.

"Are you gonna help me up or just stand there like a--"

Gale gasped. "Don't you finish that sentence young lady! Get yourself up!"

Bailey heaved a sigh, before sweeping her feet under her to stand. When she looked up at the man that had knocked her on her derriere she nearly swallowed her tongue. The man-wall was a drop dead gorgeous man in uniform. Black longish hair, piercing baby blues, full lips curled in amusement as those panty dropping eyes settled on her face.

"It's a cop!" She cried out in dismay, trying to ignore the heated flush she knew was spreading across her cheeks.

Matt, who'd finally come over to see what was going on, took that moment to exact his revenge. "Bails, is going to the slammer! She hit a cop."

"I did not. Am not!" The words flowed out, on instinct at Matt's response. Feeling utterly childish with each word she let slip, her face was now on fire. It seemed being around Matt always brought out the juvenile in her. Or maybe it had something to do with the way the cop raised his eyebrow at her and settled his hands against his holster. If ever she wanted to act like an adult it was in that moment.

Gale heaved a sigh and rubbed her temples. "Please, children."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be in the middle of your driveway." He grinned down at her, his teasing voice making her stomach flutter.

Dropping her gaze to the ground, she cleared her throat. "Oh, well-"

"And I'm not just a cop, I'm the Sheriff." He added.

Straightening her wild hair, she offered a timid smile, before scratching the side of her neck nervously. "Hey, your name isn't Jed is it?"

He chuckled. "I'm not Leatherface."

"Do you know anyone named Jed?"

With an amused grin, he looked down at her and shook his head.

"Bailey!" Gale's scolding tone caused her cheeks to flush red.

"Cool, he's got a gun!" Matt interrupted, his hand pointing to the shiny black piece. When he'd gotten so close to the man Bailey couldn't recall, but he was close enough to touch that deadly weapon and Gale was about to have a coronary.

"Mathew, stop!"  Gale's ultimate 'don't mess with me now' voice echoed. "If you touch that weapon so help me—"

"It's not loaded," the Sheriff said.

Gale wavered for a second under his hot stare, but Bailey supposed even something as delicious as this police officer couldn't keep her from getting her baby away from that weapon. "Matthew, come over here this instant."

"So, how does that work? I mean not having a loaded gun. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?" Bailey asked.

He shrugged casually, letting loose a grin that Bailey swore could win prizes. "We're a small town, it's mainly just for show and if I really need them I have the bullets in my squad car. Mostly we use batons though."

"And when you get shot down, I'll be happy to run along and get them for you." Bailey remarked snidely, but quickly felt like ass when he flashed his bright white teeth.

His smile turned into a chuckle before he offered her his hand. "Sheriff Lambert of Haven, I've come to welcome you to town."

Bailey stretched out her hand and managed to not make a fool of herself as she shook it. Her knees were just begging for it though. They felt like jelly when his large hand encased hers. If he didn't let her hand go she would pretend to faint and he would catch her and then... he let go of her hand.

Darn. Bailey cleared her throat and hastily shoved her hands into her jean pockets, bowing her head.

Gale, pushing Matt slightly behind her, smiled, and came forward to shake his hand as well. "How nice."

Bailey glanced down at his hands, resisting the urge to let her gaze stray farther down. "Where's the pie?"

Gale blinked at the puzzled Sheriff Lambert before dropping her eyes to her daughter. "I beg your pardon?"

Realizing the ridiculousness of the question, she gave a nervous laugh and rubbed the back of her neck.  "Well, I just thought since you're welcoming us to town and all, you'd have... I don't know... an apple pie or something?"

Oh God, please stop now! Bailey's thoughts screamed. It wasn't like she'd ever moved before though. Movies were her only reference and they'd always offered pie. He let out a beautiful booming laugh that startled a scream out of Bailey.

Have mercy. This guy should be a model not a Sherriff. He was wasting his life, Bailey thought as she watched the column of his throat and his Adams Apple vibrate.

Matt guffawed and pointed. "Bailey's a dork."

Bailey snarled unhappily and muttered under her breath. "Dork number two."

She couldn't believe she'd stooped to his level again.

Matt shook his head disapprovingly at her. "Lame."

"I'll bring you an apple pie next time. Though, I warn you, my baking isn't the greatest." Sheriff Lambert grinned down at her.

Bailey bit her lip to keep her mouth from smiling too wide. "Fantastic, extra apples please and maybe you could mention something to Mrs. Stone about a peach cobbler, but my favorite pie is black raspberry. Spread the word, we'll take all the stuff we can get."

Would it never end? Where was a wall when she needed it? Maybe banging her head against it would save her sanity.

He chuckled and nodded. "I'll see what I can do."

"Bailey! What's gotten into you?"

There was no face saving at this point, so Bailey shrugged and continued. "Mom, let's be honest here, you couldn't bake if your life depended on it. Amanda's been away at college and I haven't had a homemade pie since. We'll definitely find someone here who knows a thing or two about baking."

Matt nodded in agreement.

Gale flushed and gave a tight lipped smile before turning back to the man in front of her. "May I ask what your first name is?"

He examined her a minute, folding his arms across his chest, knowingly. "It's Wes, Wes Lambert."

Gale placed a hand on her chest. "I'm Gale. This is my second eldest Bailey, and my youngest Matt. My oldest daughter is away at college."

He nodded, "Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"We should really get back to unloading the car."

He looked startled for a moment and then glanced towards the red car in the drive way. "Can I help with anything?"

"Actually," Gale gave him a sheepish look, "could you get our electricity turned on? We're early."

Bailey scowled. "Yeah, we are early. How'd you know we'd be here?"

He smirked down at her. "It just so happens I'm working, but yes. I will get your lights on in record time. Let me make a few calls and we'll get it done."

Making the 'calls' turned out to actually be one call that lasted all of two minutes. Two minutes of which Bailey eyeballed him and decided the stubble on his jaw was her favorite. 

"They have some wiring work to do, so they have to send someone out, but it'll be done before it gets any darker. I should be going now, if you don't need any more help?"

"No, thank you very much." Gale smiled, tucking a stray piece of her brown hair behind her ear.

"It was nice meeting you."

Bailey raised a dismissive hand, trying her damndest to be nonchalant, "Yup."

As he started to walk away he seemed to pause and turn back around.  "Bailey," he called.

Bailey raised an eyebrow, feeling her face heat at being caught watching him leave. "Yes?"

He gave her a half smile and winked knowingly. "Welcome to Haven."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

355 26 10
"How does the fate of a town lie in the hand a girl who is not so mentally okay and has a lot of life issues?" In the midst of her family troubles, 1...
REMINISCENT By

Teen Fiction

569 2 38
CHAPTERS EDITED☑️ "Do i remember?" I stare back confused "Do you remember..." she starts then looks down contemplating whether she should continue or...