Return of the Fallen Angel: B...

By mountainlion2

Best rank in Science Fiction #30. The continuation of Kita's adventures. She meets new friends, explores new... More

Note from the Author
X
VOLUME 1
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
VOLUME 2
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
VOLUME 3
50
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75

51

646 61 1
By mountainlion2

Snowy and Sarin watched Kita come down the line of firing positions. Hidden in a crack between two distant firing positions they waited for Kita to pass.

"Kita," Snowy whispered and stepped out of the crack when Kita came close.

Kita turned around and her eyes lit when she Snowy.

"Snowy!" Kita exclaimed and bound over to give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Oh, I've missed you so much. I didn't expect to see you."

"We need to talk to you," Sarin said firmly materializing next to Snowy.

"Of course. One minute. Assault private One One Two Alpha Xray," Kita called down the line. A man in a Red Legion uniform jumped up from his position and ran to Kita. Planting himself in front of her at ramrod straight attention, he gave her an openhanded salute. Kita continued, "Will you go get Assault Colonel Delta Seven and Assault Sergeant Major Four Eight Fox."

"Yes Commander," the private turned and ran off.

"I'm so glad to see you to Jane. I've missed you. I'm so happy you both came and found me." Kita said excitedly.

Sarin and Snowy traded glances. "We're happy to see you to, babe. I'm glad you're ok."

"Well thanks. I wasn't ever in any danger." Kita laughed.

Two men hurried to Kita and saluted. Kita returned the salute and put them at ease. Both men went to a stiff parade rest. Kita smiled sheepishly and gave them the rest command. They relaxed to an informal stance, still maintaining a stiff posture.

"Colonel Delta Seven, Sergeant Major Four Eight Fox, I would like to introduce you to Commander Snowy," both men snapped to attention and saluted. Snowy returned it uneasily.

"She's the commander of the combined armies of Arcone and the Black Legion. She is also my second in command. This is Lady Sarin. She's my industrial specialist and the world's greatest sniper." Both men gave Sarin a formal nod and a handshake. "I need to go have a private talk with them. While I'm gone make sure the men maintain their firing positions. If for some reason we're attacked I do not want them to return fire unless they are intimate danger. If they must fire, they are to lay down suppressive fire unless they have no option. Understood?"

"Yes, Commander," they answered in unison.

"Good. We shouldn't be gone long. If for some reason you need me just yell up the hill. Dismissed."

Both men came to attention, saluted, and ran back down the line.

Kita reached out and touched Sarin and Snowy. "Now where should we go?" Kita mussed as she phased them to a crag high above Kita's men. Kita playfully walked to the edge and looked over.

"It's a long way down." She turned to face the others. She smiled at them happily and jumped backwards off the ledge in a reverse swan dive.

"KITA!" Sarin and Snowy screamed. Running to the edge, Snowy dropped to her knees to look over while Sarin started to leap after Kita.

Sarin nearly collided with Kita as she rose above the crag. Angrily Sarin grabbed Kita and pulled her back onto the rock.

"What was that all about?" Sarin screamed at Kita.

"What's wrong? I've done it before. What are you worried about?" Kita said with a smile.

"Last time you were trying to kill yourself and this time I'm not in a position to save you," said Snowy trying to get her heart under control.

Kita giggled. "Oh, you do remember. But this time I have wings."

"Doesn't mean you have to use them," said Sarin.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you both. It just looked like fun," Kita said apologetically.

"Just warn us first," said Sarin.

"So what do you want to talk about all secret like up here?" Kita jumped on a tall rock to sit.

"Them." Sarin motioned down the mountain.

"What about them?"

"Why are you working with our enemy?" Snowy pleaded.

"Oh, they're not our enemy. Not anymore." Kita said bouncing her legs off the rock.

"Then why are they in fighting positions?" Snowy said exasperated.

"Because I don't want you killing them. They have orders not to shoot unless absolutely necessary. I didn't expect you to come find me. I expected to have to run out and stare down your tanks."

"And then what? Have them throw down their weapons and become our prisoners?" said Sarin.

"Heavens no. I plan on keeping them armed and fit to fight. They're too good to waste. They're well trained and better disciplined then the Arconians."

"You can't possibly be thinking of putting them into the army," said Snowy.

"I wouldn't dream of it. They're mine." Kita said with a smile.

"What do you mean yours?" said Sarin.

"I mean mine, as in their loyal to me and to me alone," Kita said tersely.

"You don't trust me with them?" Snowy said sounding hurt.

"Of course I do. I expect them to operate in the same way the Black Watch does. When I say 'me alone' it's more of a legal issue. I'm just thinking ahead. The Army of the Rose is bound by Arcone tradition. Once the Red Legion is out of Yorq it won't go any further unless someone pays us. Same with the Black Legion. Technically, I could take them wherever I want, but I do plan on making nice with LCom someday and I don't want them to have any more reasons to not like them. If they're personally loyal to me then no one can challenge my authority over them. That's all."

Snowy looked up at Kita. "I'm sorry," she said quietly.

"For what?" Kita cocking her head to one side.

Snowy looked at the ground. "For everything."

"It's ok, no hard feelings. You're forgiven," Kita said sincerely.

Snowy looked up at Kita's smiling face and burst into tears. Kita frowned and slid off the rock.

"Snowy what is it?" Kita asked putting her arm around Snowy.

"You're supposed to hate me and tell me how terrible I am. I've been ignoring you and mean. What's worse, I've been scared of you and paranoid you'll take revenge on me for it. You're not supposed to just forgive me this easy. I don't deserve it." Snowy sat down hard. Curling herself into a ball, she cried hard.

Kita sat down in front of her and took Snowy's hands. "You do to deserve it. When I've gone astray everyone forgives me easily. I just have to learn from my mistakes. I'm not mad at you and I wouldn't take revenge for it. The worst I've been is hurt, which has just made me sad. That's why I came out here.

"I thought instead of confronting you over it and us fighting about it, I'd go away for a while. To make myself feel better and let you deal with things in your own way."

"I haven't been too successful. I've just been a royal bitch to most of my friends and starting fights where I shouldn't have. It wasn't until Tina talked to me that I thought maybe I was wrong. But I've still been afraid," Snowy whispered.

Kita nodded understandingly. "I'm sorry for that. That's my fault. I promise to never do it again. I may have to fight you, but I promise to never do anything like that again. Ok?"

Snowy nodded.

Kita put her arm around Snowy and pulled her close. "My poor big kitty," Kita cooed.

"I thought you'd given up on me and left me," said Snowy, curling up tight to Kita.

"I didn't think this was a serious problem. It's only been going on a couple of months. You told me we had a long life together and that there would be times like these. If this had gone on a year or two, then I would have started to worry."

Snowy laughed quietly.

"Anyway, if in some hypothetical world I decided to actually leave you. I wouldn't just leave quietly. You'd know I was leaving. It wouldn't be one of those subtle happening in the middle of the night," Kita teased.

"Well you're now officially not allowed to leave me. I don't know what I'd do without you. I don't know how I lived nine thousand years without my kitten," Snowy said sternly.

"Deal." Kita grinned. She nibbled and pulled on Snowy's ear. Snowy flicked it playfully in return. A kiss to Snowy's forehead turned into a series of soft tender kisses. Snowy relaxed in Kita's arms.

Sarin laughed. "Wow, if I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed you two could be this nauseating."

Kita stuck her tongue out. "I'm just as bad with you."

"I know and I owe you an apology as well," Sarin said sitting down next to Kita.

"Oh? For what?"

"It was pointed out that it looked like I've been stringing you along, while being distant and greedy."

"You're going to have to explain that, love. I don't feel that way at all."

"I'm scared of you and because of it I keep my distance, but I still love you and I know you love me. And I'm worried you might think I'm just using you."

"Wow, you're both scared of me? Damn. I thought I was doing better at my self control and temper," Kita said with a frown.

"No, you have. It's a different kind of scared. I'm scared of you. The evil you. I'm worried that if I get too close I'll..." Sarin looked at Snowy and blushed. "Don't take this wrong Snowy, but I'm afraid I'll turn out like her. And after this month I couldn't do it. I'm just not cut out to be evil or even mean...and it's why I won't sleep with you."

Kita shook her head. "You have nothing to worry about. I knew that a long time ago. I try hard to keep that part in check when I'm around you. I know I have a tendency to influence people and behavior. But I don't feel you're hiding from me or being distant. You know who I am. Influence goes both ways. You temper me more than I think you realize, the same way Snowy brings out and indulges my darker side." Kita pet Snowy and kiss her head. "I like what we have. I get to hang out and have fun with someone I enjoy being with. I like that I get to be warm, soft, and affectionate with you. It makes me feel good."

"Can I get some of that too? I miss that about you," Snowy said quietly.

Kita's eyebrows went up. "Of course. I thought you didn't like it anymore."

Snowy shook her head shyly.

"Whatever my big kitty wants."

"So you're not upset with me about anything?" Sarin said sounding relieved.

Kita shook her head. "Nope. The only thing you were even connected with was what happened right before I left."

"You're not upset about us?"

"Nope. I trust you both. As long as I get what I want when I want it, I don't care. It, ah," Kita coughed, "kind of turns me on. So if you want a good way to keep Snowy busy for a while..." Kita winked at Sarin.

Snowy giggled. "I don't think I've ever been so happy to get setup before."

"Really?" With a mischievous grin, Sarin leaned in and gave Snowy a long kiss.

Kita blushed a bit. "You keep that up and you're going to find yourself alone for a few hours."

"Not right now, I'm happy here." Snowy snuggled against Kita. "I miss your feathers. They're always so soft," she purred.

"Well then scoot over. I'm not one to miss a good cuddle, especially when I don't have to be the pillow," Sarin said with a smirk. Kita and Snowy shifted to make room. "You know, for being two of the most evil beings on the planet I sure do love you guys a lot."

Kita and Snowy laughed softly. Petting each in turn, both Sarin and Snowy fell asleep.

***

Wow, the must be more tired and drained than I thought. Kita held them tight and closed her eyes. She wasn't the least bit tired, but she wanted to practice meditating like Abigail had taught her. It really did do what she claimed it would do, quiet her soul and let her talk with the new voice inside her head.

***

Kita opened her eyes at the sound of her name. The deep bass belonged to Colonel Delta Seven. Getting the time from the satellites, she frowned. They'd been up her six hours. The sun was setting.

Looking down at Snowy and Sarin, neither one had moved while they slept. Gently, Kita woke them.

"What is it?" Sarin asked yawning and stretching.

Kita giggled at the red lines on her face.

"I don't know, but Delta Seven's calling for me."

The sound of tank fire made Kita more urgent.

"Damn. Get up, both of you." Kita pushed the others off and ran to the edge of the crag.

Out on the plain the Army of the Rose came over a ridge toward her new troops. The bang of tanks firing was followed by the sound of the rounds striking the mountain.

"Oh hell, I forgot. How long have we been asleep?" said Snowy.

"Six hours," said Kita as she jumped from the crag. Sarin dove after her, as Snowy raced down the mountain after them.

Kita burst into flame as she approached the advancing line of tanks and infantry. Corkscrewing down the line, she flashed tried to get their attention. Instead, bullets started to go by her. A few lucky fellows hit her, making her mad.

"If you're out there and can hear this, tell those around you to stop, button up, and go to ground," Kita yelled. Racing back to the Red Legion lines, she found Colonel Delta Seven.

She gave him the same warning. He saluted and yelled orders down the line. Kita smiled at the immediate response to her orders. Beats some other units.

Leaving a blazing trail behind her, Kita raced high into the sky. She corkscrewed, flashing a warning. Stopping a thousand feet above the ground, she spun to create a pulse. The army ignored her and rolled forward.

Frustrated, Kita Opened her hand, and spun releasing the accelerant from her hand. Surrounded by the cloud, she snapped her fingers.

Sarin called over the comm from bellow. "Kita, wait! Don't do it!"

Kita's vision went red. The tiny flame jumped from her finger to the surrounding accelerant particles. The particles disappeared in tiny explosions.

Leaning backwards, she dove into a loop. Closing her wings, she streaked for Sarin four hundred feet below. Colliding with the other Angel, Kita flew back toward the epicenter expanding her heat shield. The initial explosion had nearly completed when Kita entered. Arriving at the exact center, the last of the explosion dissipate, the air rushed back at her. A thunderous crash deafened them as the air collided with itself. A large shockwave raced away from them in all directions.

Kita's emotions crashed in on Kita. Her vision returned to normal as she shook and sobbed uncontrollably.

***

How did I get into Kita's arms? The sound of Kita's sobs, just a few inches from Sarin ear, registered. Breaking free of Kita's grasp, Sarin looked at the ground. Bodies were sprawled across the ground. Kita had curled up into a ball. Why she was sobbing puzzled her. Ignoring Kita, she dove for the ground.

Pulling up close to the ground, her fear eased. There were not jelly corpses. The soldiers picked themselves up looking around surprised. There were some injures, broken bones and blown ear drums . Those in the tanks had suffered worse. Crews were exiting holding their heads, broken bones, and other wounds.

Seeing a tank that bore the stylized cross that Rommel liked, she stopped and asked where she could find him. Working her way up the chain of command, she found the handsome man trying to stop the blood from one of his crewman's forehead.

"Field Marshal Rommel," said Sarin.

He looked at her. "Yes Lady Sarin?" he said in an annoyed voice.

"I need you to pull your...panzers and infantry back into a defense position. Those troops you have been firing belong to Kita. I wouldn't call the friendly yet, but they're at least neutral."

"How can you be sure of this? Commander Kita just attacked us. I have heard nothing from command on a change to situation."

"Commander Snowy's working on it. You should hear something shortly."

"No, as soon as my men are recovered I will continue the attack. You are not in a position of military authority and you are a known—close associate of Commander Kita. Your loyalty could also be suspect."

Anger flashed over Sarin's face at the accusation. In a flash she drew her pistols and pointed them at his head.

"Fine, you can order it under duress. If I'm wrong you can send them to me and I'll explain it," Sarin growled.

Rommel chuckled. "Shooting me will have no effect."

"Your right, but I can shoot that little orb that follows you around and I can shoot him." Sarin changed the targets of a pistol to the man Rommel had been assisting.

"You wouldn't dare."

Sarin pulled the hammers back on both pistols.

"I still don't believe you. You are not Commander Snowy or Commander Kita."

The pistol pointed at the crewmember fired. The man recoiled and fell of the tank.

"Maybe not, but I am in love with them. That counts for something. Now, issue the orders or I find your second in command."

Rommel climbed aboard his tank and put on his helmet with a headset attached it connected to one of the radios Katie and Paladin had built. He gave the orders and at Sarin's prompting, he sent runners to the other commanders to do the same.

Sarin holstered the pistols. "Thank you and don't worry about your crewman, Field Marshal, Anthrax and Tina should have no problem repairing his ear."

Rommel scowled as she lifted off. Returning to Kita, Sarin found her still sobbing in a ball. She still didn't know why Kita was crying, but after Rommel she was in no mood to play games.

"Why did have to do that? We could have stopped them some other way that didn't involve wounding everyone. What were you thinking? They're your troops!"

Kita looked up from her ball as uncontrollable sobs wracked her body. "Why are you yelling at me?"

"What do you mean why am I yelling at you? You know what you did and whom you did it against. They are innocent," Sarin scolded harshly.

"Stop yelling at me. I don't know what you're talking about. Leave me alone."

"No, you need to stop blubbering and come down and help clean up this mess," Sarin snarled.

"I said stop yelling at me," Kita screamed. "Leave me alone."

Shrieking, Kita exploded into flame causing Sarin to shield herself as Kita hadn't chosen to protect her. Wailing, Kita streaked away.

Sarin huffed angrily and called Snowy. "Snowy, are you there?"

"I'm here, what's up? Where are you?"

"Trying to deal with Kita. She just ran off. I also stopped Rommel's group. He's supposed to pass the word. You might get a complaint about me shooting one of his crewmen."

"You what?"

"Don't worry, I only nicked his ear. I just had to make the point I was serious."

"Ugh, I still don't need that kind of incident on top of Kita's mess. What happened?"

Sarin explained.

"Oh no! You didn't. Poor Kita," Katie's exclaimed.

"What are you talking about?" Sarin growled defensively.

"She was coming down from berserking."

"From what you described Katie's right," said Snowy. "Still, I don't think she's reacted like that since before she died."

"Seeing you in danger must have absolutely terrified her if she was coming down like that," Katie said sadly.

"She was crying over me? I thought she only berserked when she was fighting," said Sarin.

"She told me there were other ways to use it, including making time stop. Sounds like what she did to get you before the explosion even finished," Katie said in awe.

"She did it the day she died to get me from the keep to the hanger in minutes to keep me from dying," said Tina.

"I believed she did it when she found and saved me," said Snowy.

"Ok, ok. I'm a complete bitch for yelling at her and not knowing. We still have no idea where she is," Sarin said unhappily.

"I think it would be best if we let her come down on her own. Who knows what mood of berserking she's in. She'll eventually come down on her own. Let her take her frustration and emotion out on the mountains. It won't be the first time. We can deal with her when she gets back. Does that sound ok, Katie?"

"Ah...yeah, that sounds reasonable. Just be prepared, it might take a while."

"What do we do in the mean time?" said Anthrax.

"Keep with Kita's plan. We need to get those Red Legionnaires off the mountain and under control."

"Are we going to disarm them and take them prisoner?" said Paladin.

"No. Kita has every intention of making them into another group like the Black Watch. So we're going to do what I think she would do. We'll do a quick induction ceremony, if Kita wants to do more later, we can. This way they won't feel threatened and we can keep our units close.

"Sarin, meet me in the village and we'll go find Delta Seven and get his men out of the mountains. Katie, tell Captain McCoy to gather the Black Watch and head for the village. Bring Frostbane with you. Paladin and Tina, tell General Thorne to do the same with the Black Legion. Anthrax, meet us there."

After a quick round of acknowledgements, everyone went off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

914 113 41
Two worlds collide in one epic tale. Artemisia had lived in isolation for almost her entire life, but when she one day encounters a strange creature...
25.4K 1K 18
Best rank in Science Fiction #138. The continuation of Kita's adventures. She meets new friends, explores new areas, and continues her fight against...
5.3K 95 37
This is a sequel to my Mass Effect fanfic
1.7K 203 60
Alex survived fighting a war on an alien world. But can she survive her return trip to New Orleans? The brothers are fighting, throwing their new Gua...