Return of the Fallen Angel: B...

By mountainlion2

Best rank in Science Fiction #30. The continuation of Kita's adventures. She meets new friends, explores new... More

Note from the Author
X
VOLUME 1
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
VOLUME 2
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
VOLUME 3
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75

42

688 58 1
By mountainlion2

The depot door onto the platform flew open. Snowy and Anthrax jumped and put themselves between Kita and the door. Ready to strike, a figure came out of the blinding sunlight.

"Snowy!" Sarin cried happily. She rushed forward and hugged Snowy. "What happened to you?" She asked when Snowy mewed in pain.

"Damn girl, you scared the crap out of us. I got caught by a chainsaw. Nell has been patching me up. What's going on outside?"

"No one told you? I kind of threw a fit at the front and wiped out most of the opposition. The Black Legion and Patton were able to penetrate deep into the enemy's line and do some real damage. Schwarzkopf had the diversionary forces attack and I guess they and Rommel blitzkrieged through the enemy's positions. Schwarzkopf says the front's collapsing and the enemy's in full retreat. I came to help here. Now come on, sit. You look whiter than normal." Sarin pushed Snowy down next to Kita.

Seeing Kita for the first time, Sarin sank down next to Snowy. "How can anyone do that to someone?"

"Family." Snowy laughed coldly.

"What?"

"Her brother, Jeffrey, caught her by surprise and tore her up and then used her as bait for me."

"Why would he want with you?"

"According to him, Darla's former husband still has a thing for her." Snowy rolled her eyes.

"I thought that was you...?"

Snowy shook her head. "Not anymore. Darla's been laid to rest with the other three billion in that room of light. I'm just Snowy now."

"Nellie, how's Kita doing?" Sarin said fighting back tears.

Anthrax shook her head. "If it's clear outside we need to get her loaded into a chamber to stabilize her. I've fixed the most life threatening things, but she's taken a lot of damage."

"It's clear outside, Nell. You can call for a shuttle," Katie came around the corner holding her side. When she finally reached them, she fell to her knees and rolled over.

"Katie!" the three yelled.

"What's wrong, Nell?" said Sarin worriedly.

"She's been hit at least a dozen times. I'm surprised she's made it this long."

"It's the berserking. She'll go forever until she stops, and then it'll hit her like a wall," said Snowy.

"Dammit. Now I really need Tina, this is her specialty," Anthrax growled as she worked on extracting a bullet.

Snowy took Sarin's hand. "Go find Tina."

Sarin nodded and flew out the door. She returned with Paladin, and a screaming Tina in his hands.

"Let me go! I don't have to do anything I don't want to do," Tina yelled.

"Even help save Katie?" said Snowy.

"She shouldn't have been out there! She's no warrior. She only went because you and the rest pushed her," Tina screamed.

"No one pushed her Tina. Snowy helped her with her nerves and told me to help her. We all have those going into combat," said Paladin.

"I can't believe you're taking that things side, you big tin can," Tina screeched.

Sarin slapped Tina to the ground. She grabbed Tina and held her up. "Tina, stop it. I won't let you insult my girlfriend or turn into a brat in the middle of a combat zone. Someone who cares about you a lot is over there bleeding out while you're here throwing a tantrum, because you don't want to work with someone. You should be over there helping Nell. Whatever the sudden ultra hatred of Snowy is we'll talk about it later, I promise. Now calm down and go do your job." Sarin put Tina down gently, but with a harsh glare.

Sighing, Tina's shoulders slumped in defeat and she went to help Anthrax.

***

Anthrax and Tina stabilized Katie. They moved her next to Snowy, who offered her lap for Katie's head. Anthrax and Sarin pushed Tina outside to help with the wounded Black Watch soldiers.

Anthrax, Sarin, and several Black Watch returned with a stabilization chamber. The Black Watch saluted Snowy. She returned it with a nod since her saluting arm was injured. The soldiers' faces darkened when they saw Kita. Even unconscious, her face was a mask of pain.

Snowy watched them load Kita. She wished she could help or at least touch her before they put her in. She couldn't understand why Kita had the sudden urge to die. Things had just started getting better. Oh kitten, what's wrong with you? Is it something I did, we did, they did, is there anything we could have done? And when did I become Jane's girlfriend? I don't mind the idea. It was much like what they had before, but it felt different having a title attached to it.

With an almost funeral cadence the soldiers picked up the chamber and carried it outside to the waiting shuttle. The loud, "Present arms," command followed by the sound of soldiers saluting broke Snowy. She bawled trying her best to not get any tears on Katie.

The Black Watch returned with a stretcher for Katie. Snowy continued to sob. Anthrax knelt next to her. "Snowy, sweetie, what's wrong?"

"I'm not ready to lose her Nell, I love her too much."

Anthrax tried to calm her, while pointing the soldiers to go get Sarin.

Sarin hurried in and knelt opposite of Anthrax. "Snowy what's wrong? What happened?"

Snowy told her through her tears.

"Oh, Snowy, my poor kitty. It's ok, her vital signs are good. The shuttle's going up now. The doctors will have in minutes." Sarin sat behind Snowy and held her.

"Still don't think that thing doesn't care about your sister?" Anthrax said to Tina, who'd been watching silently.

Anthrax motioned to the Black Watch to help load Katie. Tina followed discreetly. When she tried to board the shuttle, Anthrax blocked her path.

"Sorry, but we still have more wounded to attend to at the front."

"But I need to take care of her and make sure she's ok," said Tina.

"Are you interested in taking care of her or escaping us? She's going up to better hands than yours. So come on." Anthrax motioned her away.

"No, I'm not coming. Snowy's going to destroy Kita and you refuse to see it."

Tina grabbed Anthrax's arm. Anthrax cried out in pain and dropped to her knees. A crack echoed through the area. Tina spun around like a top before falling to the ground. Sarin, Snowy, and Paladin ran over to check on the two.

Snowy helped Anthrax to her feet and recover from the pain. Sarin and Paladin knelt by Tina. Sarin's bullet had hit her on the edge of the shoulder, nicking the tip of the bone and gone out the other side. Tina lay in the dirt whimpering.

Anthrax knelt next to Tina and checked her over. Two quick injections and the wound began to close. They pulled Tina up to a sitting position.

"You shot me," Tina whimpered.

"You better believe I did," Sarin snarled. "A high angel abusing her power is worse than Kita abusing hers. Everyone expects her to do it. You're supposed to be the example, especially you."

"You even attacked a fellow high angel, that's a major sin," said Paladin.

"That's right, high angels only attack to protect the innocent, defeat evil, and defend themselves. Violating that means you can lose your status as a high angel," said Sarin.

"For that violation I think you go straight from high angel to fallen angel," Anthrax said harshly.

"W-what, n-no, it was a mistake!" Tina cried. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I'm sorry Nell. Don't let them make me a fallen angel. I don't want to be like Kita, I don't know how to be that mean." Snowy and Sarin choked down laughter. "I don't know what's wrong. I just...probably need to see my doctor. Obviously I still have some issues." Tina hung her head.

"When did you stop going?" said Anthrax.

"A couple weeks ago. I thought I was better."

"Did they say you were better?"

"No. The few times they came looking for me, I disappeared."

"Learned your lesson now?"

"Yes. Please don't take my pretty feathers away from me."

Anthrax looked at the others. "Ok, you get a warning this time. One more and you look like Kita."

"I promise I won't do it again. I'll see them as soon as we get back. I'll go now," Tina said franticly.

Anthrax shook her head. "They're going to be busy for the next couple of days. You have to keep it together until then. Think you can?"

"Yes, I promise." Tina put her hands together.

"Alright, Snowy has new assignments for us."

Snowy nodded. "Tina you'll take a shuttle over to the northern group and start treating the wounded there. Anthrax will take that another shuttle to the southern group and do the same. Paladin, Jane, me, and the walking wounded of the Black Watch will ride the train to the front. Did you copy that, Schwarzkopf?"

"Yes, Commander. When you're ready, I will give you a sit-rep."

"Ok, I'll get it while I'm on the train."

***

As the Black Watch loaded the train, Snowy and Sarin headed for the engine. The train stretched a long way down the tracks. It not only had flatbed cars, but two dozen boxcars. Curious, they opened several. Snowy could barely contain her excitement. The cars contained ammunition for the tanks, needed fluids, and spare parts. Obviously, Cowboy didn't think they'd actually steal the train.

Climbing into the cab, Snowy laughed. The train was an old steamer down to the last detail. All she was missing were the funny hat and overalls.

"How do we get it started?" said Sarin. "I don't see a start button or switch."

Snowy chuckled. "The ignition switch will be in your hand. See that black stuff, its coal. We throw it into the firebox for the boiler and light it. Water turns to steam in the boiler and drives the wheels and the whistle," Snowy said with a toothy grin.

Sarin picked up a piece of the coal and dropped when it left a black dust on her hand.

"Ugh, who would want to use this crap? You'll be black as Kita in no time working with this stuff."

"And yet this tuff drove an entire revolution that changed how humanity did everything," Snowy said in a studious tone.

"Neither one of us is human. We should make them do it."

"Jane," Snowy scolded.

"Oh, fine. I'm never going to get this stuff off me." She pouted.

"I'm sure one or several of the Black Watch will happily scrub you down," Snowy teased.

"Meh," Sarin shrugged her shoulders.

Snowy's ears perked up. Question for later...

They grabbed a pair of shovels and shoveled the coal from the tender into the firebox. They stopped to have a look. A large mound of coal sat in the cold firebox.

Snowy reached her coal blackened hand in and grabbed a piece of coal. She turned up the voltage and the piece lit. She tossed it to the other side of the pile. She lighted two dozen pieces and watched as the pile burned. Nodding, she stood up.

Sarin laughed at her. "Is there such a thing as a black war cat?"

"It happens occasionally. They usually don't last long. They have trouble catching prey or hunters take them for the pelt," Snowy said sadly.

"I...sorry, I didn't know."

Snowy shook her head. "It's ok. Nature takes its course. Look," Snowy pointed to a giant gauge on the front of the cab that gave the stream pressure.

"Wow, it goes up fast once it gets hot."

"Yeah, fly down the line and make sure the Black Watch are ready. And tell Paladin to keep his eyes open, who knows what kind of company we may get."

Sarin nodded and took off.

Snowy studied the controls. They theory behind the steam engine was easy. The controls looked a little more complicated. Nothing was labels. She went out along the boiler to trace some of the valves, for others she would have to guess. On the way back, she looked on top of the boiler to see the shinny whistle. She'd have to do it at least once. She opened some other hatches to see what they had. One was for water. Another must be for sand judging by the grit. The last contained an enormous valve. Snowy puzzled over it, not sure what it did. I hope that it's not important.

Climbing back in the cab, she checked the gauges. Everything seemed to be in order. For fun, she blasted the whistle. She turned the valves to build steam in the system.

Sarin returned. "We're all set."

Snowy slipped the break and the train chugged. The train slipped before the steam built again and the train pulled forward. Inch by inch they moved forward. The train passed the friction threshold and began to roll forward. Snowy whooped excitedly. Three loud blasts of the whistle announced they were underway.

As the train picked up speed, the noise in the cab became deafening.

Snowy screamed at Sarin, who stood only three feet away. "Find a place and take up watch. We're a big sitting target for the next ten miles and we don't have much for deterrence."

Sarin nodded and climbed up on top of the cab. Really wasn't what I meant, but I guess that works.

***

The train steamed along, a nice crosswind blew the smoke out at a slight angle. Everyone remained vigilant looking for any threats. Sarin pulled out her sniper rifle and set up. Using her scope, she scanned the surrounding area. Smiling, she found a target, a lone red legionnaire making her way toward her lines.

Sarin lined up her crosshairs and watched the girl picking her way through the knee high grass. She took her time, getting a feel for the train's rocking and the girls gate. Once she felt comfortable, her finger pressed against the trigger. Timing the girl's gate, the trains rocking, the wind, controlling her own breath and heartbeat, she pulled the trigger.

The report of the rifle almost went unnoticed, lost in the sound of the train. In her scope, Sarin watched the girl's head disappear and her body fall over a mile away.

Snowy stuck her head over the lip of the cab's roof. "We have a problem?"

"Nope, just one less red legionnaire."

Snowy grinned and disappeared back into the cab.

Sarin swore and screamed into her comm, "We have a flight of black gunships roaring up the tracks toward us. ETA, thirty seconds. Paladin do you see them?"

"I do. I'll load my antiaircraft program and engage when they come into range."

"I hope it's good, because behind them are six more."

"That may be a problem. I'm low on ammunition for all systems."

"Do your best and alert the Black Watch to be ready."

"Understood."

Sarin changed positions. The gunships were different than what she'd seen before. Each contained two pilots. Lining her crosshairs up on the gunship just to the left of the leader, she took a gamble that the pilot sat in the front seat. Going through her steps, she depressed the trigger. The pilot's head exploded and the gunship made a wild left turn into a second gunship. Reloading, she lined up another shot.

Paladin fired his remaining to missiles, bring down the leader and the gunship to his right. The remaining gunships dodged and juked making them hard to track. Spinning up his Gatling guns, he poured rounds into the sky. The fifth ship went down to his right. His rounds continued to find their mark, leaving a line of holes through the remaining gunship. As he finished it off, his Gatling guns clicked, signaling they were out.

The second flight of gunships raced forward, but flew overhead without firing. They peeled off and started to circle around. A figure fell from the lead gunship. Sarin's ricocheting round caused Paladin to turn.

Jeffrey landed on the tank behind Paladin. Jumping, he plunged his chainsaw-like sword through Paladin's chest. The sword ripped through Paladin's armor. Paladin's chest exploded and he leaned over and plunged off the speeding train.

Sarin screamed angrily over the comm.

"What happened?" said Schwarzkopf.

In a hot fury, Sarin reported, "Those sons-of-bitches just killed Paladin."

Another flight of gunships came in from the flank. "Neptune's rings, there are more. I've got someone in exo-armor on the train and twelve gunships overhead."

"I'll dispatch as many gunships as I can. Are there any Angels who can help?" said Schwarzkopf.

"Don't bother, they're mine," said Omega's angerly.

Sarin whooped when the four interceptors come blazing down out of the sky. The quartet pounced on the gunships, auto lasers and maser cannons firing. The trailing flight of gunships disappeared in fireballs. The interceptors peeled off and gave chase to the remaining flight.

The Black Watch were engaging Jeffrey, but had little effect. Sarin's rage boiled over when Jeffrey tossed a man from the train. Reaching into her ammunition case, she pulled out a clip of special rounds she'd just made. Constructed of depleted uranium and with a missive grain count, she'd developed them to be used against tanks.

Chambering the first round, she lined up her sights. Do I kill him, or leave that honor for Kita? Her brother, she can kill him. For now, I just wanted him off the train. Taking aim at a spot underneath his shoulder armor, she fired.

The report of the shot went down the length of the train. Jeffrey spun around, his arm stuck at a funny angle.

Sarin reloaded and fired again. This time she took aim at the joint between his leg and torso. A red fountain erupted. Jeffrey stumble and tumble off the train.

A black helicopter materialize and picked up Jeffrey. She chambered another round, but it vanished before she could line up on it. Growling to herself, she returned to watching the skies.

+rac͈w(

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 95 52
Two young ladies go on an adventure to stop the evil antagonist from destroying the world into complete deserts while meeting friends, enemies, new o...
Influx (Book Four) By CC

Science Fiction

28.7K 3.2K 32
Beta stopped caring about anything but work when she burned bridges with everyone she used to know. The only thing she concerns herself with right no...
172 5 8
In OFF//WORLD™ every experience makes you stronger. Even if it kills you. So why not escape your boring life and forge a new future in another world...
14.5K 1.4K 28
The quiet is unnerving, everyone is on edge, waiting for a new chaos to be unleashed. The Mavericks have never had to deal with such a calculated att...