I'm Sorry

By RedGhost00

After the fall of Overwatch, Dr. Angela 'Mercy' Ziegler was haunted by guilt on what she did to an old friend... More

Introduction
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Heartbreaker Notes
Part 13
Part 14
Spread the Kindness
Part 15
Part 16
Finally!
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Sorry Guys...
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Are you Kidding me?!
I got some 'Alternatives'
I Got "Sour" News...
Sequel Is Out!

Part 17

2.8K 40 26
By RedGhost00

This is a REAAALLY long chapter, so you'd better get some popcorn and soda while reading this.

Oh, and I edited the previous chapter, putting a few paragraphs on the part where she was provoking him to make it more detailed.
______________________________________
Reaper wasn't in a good mood, and his body was aching all over. Damn robot kept throwing him all over the place, and he had to use his Wraith form frequently to fight that thing. All for what? Sombra failed to kill the woman, and their mission failed. Again. Maybe the pain would go away sooner or later, he thought. After all, he can heal himself just by killing people. He sat in his room on the edge of his bed looking at the floor underneath him. He haven't met her for almost a day, wonder what she was up to while he was gone? On second thought,

Why would he care?

Night already fell, it was dark outside and everyone was asleep except for some people that needed to guard the place at night. He remembered that the guards that was guarding the interrogation room wouldn't be there at night, since they were convinced that the doctor won't have anything to threat the security or even themselves. Some guards, he thought. Don't judge a book by its cover it's what people would say, they never know if she got some people from the inside that helped her. And they should do their work properly; maybe he would go confront them about that tomorrow. For now, he wanted to get his mind off the previous mission, and he wouldn't get any good night's sleep soon enough. So he got up from his bed, walking his way out from his room.

He went his way to the interrogation room, found himself satisfied with the empty room. He slowly walked towards the metal door which he forgot that it was locked. He cursed under his breath, somehow they must've left the keys somewhere in the room. He went to check the monitors with all the controls to see if the keys were there, but none. He checked under the controls, drawers, but still no luck. He was about to give up, but as he turned around, his eyes caught a glimpse of something shiny hanging beside the numerous monitors. It was the keys. If he's not wearing his mask, people would've seen his smirking face. He went to the keys and took it without hesitation. As he walked pass the CCTV monitors, he realized something was a bit odd. He decided to take a glimpse on the monitors, then he saw her.

Curling into a ball once again. But he couldn't see her face because she was facing at the wall. Something's up.

He went to the metal door to see it for himself. When he reached the door, he heard something unsettling. It sounded like a cry, but he had to make sure. He inserted the key into the keyhole, turning it with a click. Slowly, he opened the door and took a peek, the room was dark, since there's no light. The light behind him help him to see what's inside, although it was not much. Right there in the middle, a woman facing her back towards him, it sounded like the crying sound was coming from her, but soft. Her body shook every minute, looking like she had been a crying mess for quite a while. Her stifled sobs was heard so clearly now as he took a step closer to her.When he reached at her lying body, he looked at her.

"What now?" His deep voice echoed through the room, sounded a bit irritated. She didn't answer, yet her sobs were getting softer. She still wasn't looking at him, and it only made him mad.

"I don't have time with all of this bullshit. Just spit it out." Still no answer. He lost his patience, so he went down on one knee and held her shoulder. Her body tensed and she jumped slightly from his touch. Suddenly she started to whimper and cower from him by curling herself more. That's not good. He was hesitate at first, but he had to do something.

"The hell is wrong with you--?!" He pulled her shoulder, letting her face him; but as he managed to do that, she quickly hid her face behind her arms, not wanting to look at him.

He tried prying her arms away from her face, but what he saw from her hidden face took him aback.

Eyes and nose all puffy, the wound on her cheek looked worse than before, and it's still bleeding. He could see that she was still crying. Then he saw them.

Red marks covered all over neck, were those hickeys? He looked straight into her eyes, suddenly felt a surge of anger inside him. He didn't know why.

"Who did this..?"

More tears fell from the corner of her eyes, and sobs escaped from her mouth.

"Where were you...?" She croaked in between sobs. He was speechless. He knew she wasn't answering his question, but now he knew something bad happened while he was gone.

"What, happened?" He asked. She only started to cry louder. Worry etched on his face, afraid that someone might woke up from the noise. His hands still holding her arms, so he pulled her to let the doctor sit up.

Her head hung low as she pulled back her arms from him, scooted a few inches away and hugged her knees. He was dumbfounded.

He started to think of something. What would he do if things like this happened? He looked at her, the wound started to get infected, he needed to do something about that. After a few awkward minutes, he got this crazy idea. He didn't know why would he thought of that, but that's what he could think of right now.

"Follow me." He ordered. She quickly snapped her head up, fear was still visible on her face expression. He knew that she was paranoid of something.

"Look, I don't know what shit you've been through, but I don't have time to make anything more worse. Just follow me, or you would rather stay here--"

"No!" She quickly answered. She looked scared, but somehow didn't want to be left out. He only sighed.

"Then do as I say." He got up without waiting her. As she was struggling to get up, he already walked his way towards the door, then turned around to see her pathetic state.

Her feet was all wobbly, since she hadn't walk for quite a while. He watched her managed to stand up like a child who was trying to learn how to stand on its own two feet. But he saw she was wincing in pain, she limped her way towards him, and he saw what her problem was. Her foot was still hurt, and looks like she also sprained her ankle. This is getting nowhere, he thought. He looked at her, still crying and trying to wipe fresh tears away from her eyes, snot trying to get its way out from her nostrils.

He quickly walked towards her, stopped completely in front of the distressed doctor. She was surprised at first, then turned into confusion when he turned facing his back at her, and squatted down, gesturing something that she didn't understand.

"Get on." He ordered her. She was surprised by his demand.

Was he trying to give her a piggybank ride?

She hesitated at first, but what choice did she have? When her arms reached out over his shoulders, he pulled them which cause her to bump on his back, and he quickly carried her on his back by hoisting her up putting his hands under her knees. He could feel her body tensed up when he got up, carrying her like a little child. He walked his way out from the room with ease, she only rested her arms on his shoulders, her body still froze from the sudden contact. As they were in the dark, still on their way to an unknown destination, it was utter silence. She took her time to look at him; although not many features were seen, but she could see he got broad shoulders, and despite their previous encounters, he was warm. She could feel the body heat he was emitting from his back, and she liked it. It was way better than the cold floor, she thought.

Without realizing it, she was leaning onto him, feeling comfortable. He took notice on that, but he's not going to talk about it. They reached to a closed door, and he let go one of her legs to put the code at the keypad. The door automatically opened and they went inside. As they got in, the door closed itself. She looked around at her new surroundings, and it looked like a room. It was surprisingly neat, to be honest. Who knew the man feared by many had such a personality.

He carried her to his bed, and putting her down gently. She let go of his shoulders and let her body sink into the comfort that she haven't felt for so long. He left her there and went to an another small room near the entrance door. It almost looked the same as the room in the Overwatch headquarters, only darker and more spacious. She took the opportunity to look around, nothing interesting to see. She heard a faucet running inside the room he was in, she presume he was taking a midnight bath?

Though she could use some soap at the moment. She haven't got any showers ever since she came here. And she's uncomfortable with herself not to mention what just happened to her. She felt disgusted with herself. Her eyes started to brim with tears every time she remembered that horrifying experience. Deep into her thoughts, she didn't realize that he came back from the other room and went to her. Unexpectedly, he swooped down and carried her bridal style, which caught her by surprise.

"W-What are you--!" Panic was evident on her face, as she was thrashing around, trying to get away from him. He could see fear in her eyes.

Reaper held her tighter, trying to restrain her movements.

"You reek. I got the bath ready for you. Don't argue." He barked. They went inside the bathroom, and she saw that the bath was already prepared for her. Angela's body stopped moving, now it was stiff like a log. He carried her to the bath tub and to her surprise, he gently put her into the water, with her clothes still on.

"Wait! My clothes!"

"You're gonna take it off now?" She didn't answer. Why does he have to be so crude?

"I already got some other clothes for you to wear, but it would be a bit too big for you." He explained. But he could still see the doubt on her face.

"Wouldn't the others realize that I was wearing different clothes?"

"The only person who's going to realize that is me. I'm the only authorized person to get inside the interrogation room, other than the guards, but they only come when I told them to. But if you're talking about seeing in the monitors, then I don't give a damn. It's not like you wanted to get back into your dirty clothes." He explained, but she wasn't convinced by his words one bit. Except the part where she doesn't want to get back into her dirty old clothes, he's right about that. He saw the change of her expression, but he decided not to ask her about that; for now. Completely drenched in her own clothes in the bath tub, he pointed the clothes that he already prepared for her, and left.

"If you need anything, just call out. I'll be outside." He said. She only nodded before he left her in her own solitude. When she's convinced that she's all on her own, she carefully removed her clothing piece by piece. At times she would wince from the pain on her body and the water would sting the wound on her foot and her cheek. Blood and grime already tainted the clear warm water, and she took the soap right beside her. She cleaned out all the hard-to-reach spots and throughout her body while she's in the bath. She couldn't find any shampoo, but soaping the body was good enough for her at the moment.

She took some time in the bath, enjoying the warmth it was giving. Her mind drifted to nothingness, she was thinking about the 'Reaper' guy; she even wondered to herself. Why wasn't she afraid of him? How could she feel the security that he was giving to him, even though he was the enemy? How could she easily trust him? She even thought that she had gone crazy.

Whatever the answer is, there's something different about him. He did know a lot about her, although she had no idea who he was. She had to get some answers from him, no matter how hard it would be. The man did said that she should look what's under his mask, but she would think about that later, now she's going to use all the opportunity that she had to straighten herself out.

She decided to leave the tub, carefully she got out, and slowly limped her way to the clothes. A towel was also set for her with the clothes, so it wouldn't be any problem to dry herself.
______________________________________

After settling herself in the restroom, she already wore the black turtleneck shirt that he gave her, and a pair of grey shorts matched with it. It is big, but she didn't mind. Something familiar about the shirt was, the scent it was giving out really reminded her of someone.

But she couldn't put her finger on it. Although she had to admit, the scent was intrigue her, she didn't know why. She decided to ignore it, though it's a bit hard. She only sat at the toilet seat, thinking whether she would call him or not. She didn't want people to touch her at the moment. She's just felt a bit disgusted by human touch for a while, especially from men. But she knew she couldn't go anywhere without his help, so might as well swallow her own pride before she let him carry her.

"Uhh...Hey...!I'm done!" She shouted. Suddenly, the door was opened and he was there. Stomping his way towards her, he quickly scooped her up without warning, and brought her out from the toilet. He placed her on the edge of the bed, with her feet almost touching the cold floor, and walked to the other side. She only watched his unpredictable movements as he moved from one place to another. Then he walked at his desk in front of the bed, opening his drawer. She saw he took out a box from the drawer, before he closed it and went to the other side of the bed once again.

"Get up on the bed." He ordered her. She was surprised, but felt a sudden relief when she saw what he was holding in his hand.

Do as she told, she lifted her legs up carefully up on the bed, and shifted herself closer to lean her back on the headboard. Her legs were straightened and he opened the first aid kit in hand. A silvery item was taken out, and he pushed the kit to her; she raised an eyebrow at him, and he saw the confusion on her face before he let out a heavy sigh.

"I'm not your caretaker. You're a doctor, do it yourself." He spoke. She only huffed in response and took the kit beside her.

"Give me your leg." He ordered. She didn't understand at first, but then she knew what he was trying to do.

She gave him her injured leg to him and he examined the sole of her foot. Not long after, she could feel the icy cold item he was holding, which were tweezers, touching her skin. He was pulling out the splinters from her foot, carefully not to hurt her. Every little splinter he took out gave her a relief on her foot. While he's at it, she took out some iodine and cotton from the kit.

It was quiet, only the sound of her wincing in pain as she applied some disinfectant on her face. He already done with the splinter problem, now he had to take care of the sprained ankle. He could see the bump on her limb, though it was little enough for people to overlook. He fished out the bandage from the kit and started to wrap around her fragile ankle. She watched him tending her wounds carefully like she's a porcelain doll. She didn't know that he could be so gentle, it wasn't fit with his menacing looks. After he finished wrapping her ankle, he looked up to her and saw some gauze covered her wound that she put herself. He put back all the items back into the kit, and got up to put the kit back into the drawer.

"Excuse me....? Um... Reaper...?" She asked. He turned around to look at her, stood near the desk and was a bit amused that she called him by that name.

"I was wondering this whole time.... Why are you...being so nice to me?" Her eyes looked down, avoiding eye contact with him. It was an interesting question.

"Why do you want to know?"

"J-Just asking.... wouldn't you be curious if your captor suddenly treated you nicely...?" She stammered, she was still a bit intimidated by the mercenary before her, even if he didn't show any signs of threat. That's a good thing, he thought. And he would keep it that way, so she won't be too comfortable with him.

"Never being a captive in my life, so I never thought about it." He spoke blantly. Of course, she would've expect that kind of answer.

"Oh..." was all she could think of. It was an awkward silence, and he didn't know what to talk about.

"I do as I please... no one's gonna be the boss of what I do." He continued. Somehow, that caught her attention to look at him, eyes glued to the mask with confusion.

"But I heard.... you were never been so considerate to your captives before. So what makes me get a different treatment?" She asked again. He thought for a while, he didn't know what to answer.

Why did he help her anyway?

He couldn't tell; even he was confused by his own actions. His silence unnerved her, she was getting antsy all of the sudden. She wanted to know why he helped her so badly.

"Like I said before, I do as I please... so don't question my actions, doc." he repeated his statement, and it disappointed her terribly.

"You know me too well that I won't share anything to anyone if it's about my friends' safety. Even if I trust them with my heart. So why help me? You know you can't gain anything by helping me; So that is not the right answer. " This time, Reaper was speechless.

"Why are you so worked up about it?" he asked. He couldn't help but feel curious. She looked down, thinking of an answer, before she lifted her head to look straight at the white mask.

"Because I want to know why." He didn't know what to say at first, confusion got the best of him. What was actually her agenda of knowing this? Why would she want to know her captor's intentions? Would it change her fate?

"Would it change anything if you knew why?" Then suddenly, she smiled. That made him even more confused.

"So there IS an another reason that you helped me... you're not telling me." She smirked. Bingo.

She could see he was looking away, uneasiness was evident on his gesture. Then a sigh was let off under his mask, realizing the trap she set up for him.

"Just because I said that, doesn't mean that I have any other reason. Don't be so cocky." He mused. Those words actually triggered her, and it faltered the smug grin on her face. Reaper realized the sudden silence and turned to look at her. Her expression changed.

Did he said something wrong?

"Something bothered you?" He finally slipped out the question. She looked away, gazing down with a slight frown on her face, reminiscing the incident happened back in the interrogation room. She didn't answer, and it pique his interest, but annoyed him at the same time.

"Not telling, huh?"

"Why would you even care?" Her voice was like a whisper, but he could hear it. The remark caught him by surprise. He went silent for a moment, thinking about what she said.

That was the same question he asked for himself.

But he replied her with an amused huff.

"You're right, why would I?" He spoke, but continued.

"But why don't you look at yourself; sitting inside a comfy room, wounds tenderly cared, yet still... you ask for pity." Those words stung her like venom, her eyes shot a glare at him as her face now scowled at the masked figure.

"I never ask you to help me in the first place! You should have just leave me there in the room!" She spat, but he could sense a hint of a croak from her voice.

"Oh? Would you want me to?" His questions caught her tongue, way too many times; and it frustrates her so much. She's not in the mood for interrogation, especially if it's about personal interest.

"Enough of the questions! This isn't the interrogation room!" Finally, the little prim doctor had lost her patience, finally broken. Reaper was surprised from the sudden outburst, but more worried if the others would wake up from the loud noise.

He walked closer to her from the desk to the bed, trying to stop her from making any loud noises.

"Pipe down! Or the others will hear you!" He hushed her in a harsh tone, trying hard to not let her anger be the death of her. But she didn't comply.

"Then let them hear it! I had enough of this bullshit! Just kill me already, that's all I ask for in the beginning! Because I will never tell you about the research, or the Overwatch!" She cursed, and he knew damn too well if the doctor's sweared, that would mean she was pissed off.

"Then I shouldn't have bring your sorry ass to my room, treating you like a damn guest, and nursing your wounds like a goddamn doctor!" He growled, but not in a raised voice, because that would cause trouble. Angela, on the other hand, only makes it worse.

"Then maybe you shouldn't! Because I never care if you treat me well, I never care if you give me the bread, and trust me, I would never care if you're even dead!"

Pang!

It was dead silence. They went on like this for about 10 seconds. Her face was sent turning as she felt pain spreading across her unwounded cheek. Red traveled fast on her white skin, since she realized he hit her harder than he did before, but he didn't left any scars this time. Those words shouldn't have left from her mouth.

"Watch your mouth, doc. I wouldn't say that if I were you..." he snarled so low, it was filled with anger and it intimidated the poor doctor. All the sudden bravery she got was drained like water in a sink, her lips quivered uncontrollably as she never dared to turn her face towards him.

"Says the person who tried to save lives, how ironic can that be? You gladly spoke those words to the person you tried to help before; Yet you failed." His words caught her dumbfounded. Help?

"Know your place. Know your limits. You might regret one day if you crossed the line, doc. And guess what?" His voice was in deep baritone, shaking the soul inside her with every inch of fear it could prosper. He leaned closer to her ear, letting his next sentence etching into her mind for good.

"You already crossed many lines." Her heart skipped a beat. A sudden squeeze managed to reach at her heart. His words were true, she couldn't deny.

He was a bit uncomfortable, and what happens next shocked him.

Tears already flowed down from her widened eyes, and as far as he knew her, she would never show weakness to an enemy.

"I--I...." she stuttered.

"--You didn't mean to say those words? Heh. It seems to me you really meant them. Words can't be taken back, doc. Think before you jump over a cliff." He spat, and her eyes widened. Her face finally managed to face him, but she lowered her head not to look at him in the eye, tears already cascaded down on her cheeks, some managed to dampen the gauze on her wouded one.

"I-I can't tell you what happened... he would...." she croaked in a soft whisper, couldn't finish her sentence. He stared straight at her, brows furrowed, though she couldn't see it.

He?

What was she talking about?

"What are you saying, doc?" He asked her. He leaned back, away from the doctor's face as he examined her emotion.

"T-This morning.... I...." her words faded. He thought about morning, how he went to the mission in Russia;

Then something clicked in his mind.

He glared at the doctor, something wasn't feel right. He hoped that nothing horrifying would happen, but sadly; he knew it did.

"Someone broke into the room?" Her mouth was agape, but she couldn't muster any more words. At least he managed to get some clues, and it actually pissed him off.

Now he knew someone had already broke her. Very bad.

"P-Please... don't hurt me..." she pleaded as she lowered her head down, closing her eyes and letting more tears fall on the bed. That really got into him. His eyes halted right at the marks on her neck, then realization hit him hard.

"Did he do that to you?" His voice went down to a hush. Sobbing was already heard from her. She couldn't answer, but he didn't mind. Something inside him twinged in pain once more, and he still couldn't guess why. He wanted to know who did this to her. He needed to know. Even if she's the captive, but she never deserve this. She couldn't go on any longer if this continues.

"Look... I won't hurt you..." he tried comforting her, but she kept on sobbing. She was just tired and scared.

"Get some sleep." He spoke, and he didn't expect any answers besides her crying. She only started to curl herself once more and continued to cry.

"Hey.." his hand rested on her back, which she jumped from the contact and he quickly retracted his hand away from her. This might take time.

"Look, Sorry if what I said made you remember.... bad things.... but I wouldn't have gone mad at you if you told me what happened." Her crying got softer, but she didn't stop.

"All of this wouldn't have happened if you were there...." her muffled voice caught into his ears, which made him speechless. Again.

If he was given a choice, he would have choose to stay with her at the interrogation room. But not everything was given many choices in life.

He's too tired to handle all of this, so he wanted to get this done.

With brute force, he pulled her from her little ball position and carried her, making sure she was in good position to sleep on his bed. He carefully placed her under the blanket, and pull it up to her chin. She was still crying, covering her face with her hands all the time. She doesn't sound like she's gonna stop. He should do something.

Unconsciously, his hand suddenly went to reach for her head, urging himself to caress her hair; but as it got a few inches closer, something inside his mind snapped.

He can't do this.

She was in a trauma. Any contact would only makes it worse. Quickly he retracted his hand back away from the crying doctor. He watched her sobbing her sadness away. He let out a sigh, there's nothing he could do at the moment.

"Just get some rest. Maybe tomorrow you might find all the answers to your problems." Those words somehow strike something inside her, her heart twisted in a way that made her chest hurt so badly. It only made her cry more. He wanted to try calming her down, but what else would he do?

"Please..." she pleaded, but still not finishing her sentence. He didn't answer, only looked away and hearing the heart-wrenching cries from her. Letting the slightly quiet night lulled her to sleep.
______________________________________

He was still sitting at the edge of the bed, watching over her sleeping figure. She managed to cry herself to sleep. Her face was stained with dried tears, but at least her nose wasn't too runny. He quietly caressed a clawed finger onto her face, under her closed eye. She jumped from the cold touch of his metal claw, before she calmed down and slept soundly.

He could see she was in an awful state. Someone had barged in while he was gone, and done something bad to her, he thought; and that really pissed him off. He needed to check some things to get some clues about the rulebreaker. Wait, why was he concerning this?

Suddenly his mind wondered about her previous question. Why was he being nice to her?At first, he would say that it was for interrogation purposes;

But her remarks about his excuse gave him a second thought. Part of them was true, so he was now confused of himself. Was he really doing this for the sake of the interrogation?

Or was he actually have another reason for doing all of this?

He sighed heavily, but not loudly. He did say that he hated her, but now he didn't know. If he do hate her, then he would hate himself to say this:

This time, he actually really cared about her.
______________________________________

This is just a compensation. I know some of you have waited for some time, and to be honest I actually loitering myself in the Wattpad page a few days back (and some other days as well). And yes, I AM STILL STUDYING, WHICH IS KILLING ME RIGHT NOW.

So, I'm just gonna let off some steam reading books in my library, and I have to say, I felt a bit guilty not updating this chapter for you guys. So here.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

831 1 66
Angela Ziegler has always seen the hidden heroic potential that some people have had whilst under her medical care whether good or bad as what she wo...
8K 145 17
Dr. Zieglar has been working with Overwatch for as long as she can remember. She has made many friends and basically built a new family, but little d...
27.6K 710 14
Reaper x Soldier fanfiction. Have to do this one. As a Reaper Main it is my duty to write this book. Expect smut and language. If you don't know Over...
5K 113 10
Based off the popular video game Overwatch by BlizzardΒ© This story involves the two characters, Mercy and Reaper before the fall of Overwatch when th...