BNHA | Behind The Mask

By bugsy878710

Y/n just wanted to have a fun exciting life. Will she find what she's always wanted? Or will she find what sh... More

2 | It's Pizza Time
3 | There's Green In The Waters
4 | Maniac On The Loose!
5 | Spread The News Will Ya?
6 | So This Is U.A?
7 | So.......Like A Mechanic?
8 | Battle Training!
9 | Boom
10 | Rush Hour
11 | Starting Line
12 | The First Villain Attack
13 | Bye Bye Mr. BadGuy!
Bye Bye Mr. BadGuy!
Bed Rest
The Book
Competition, That's A Whole 'Nother Subject-
Depends, Will I go Splat! or Boom?
Saving The Damsel In Distress!
Prepare for Battle!
Let The Games Begin!
May The Odds Be Forever In Your Favor!
πŸ’–THANK YOU FOR THE 200!πŸ’–
Can You Even Keep Up With Me?
I Want Your Team!
Sure, Let's Go With That-
Lunch Brawl !
Why Don't You Cheer For Me?
A Lion's Pride
πŸ’–Thanks For The 400! πŸ’–
Shake What Mama Gave Ya!
Keep The Ball Rolling!
A/n:
Purple + Green = Disaster
Thank you for πŸ’–600πŸ’–
~Love interests for now~
Wtf is this?!
SHOCKING NEWS!
Close to you
Please don't panic!
Thank you for the 1k!πŸ’•
Chapter 12 update!
Chapter 13 update!

1 | So You Had A Bad Day-

11.8K 201 214
By bugsy878710

What was it about today's society that makes us act the way we do? No one can say the human race has not evolved, yet at the same time we seem to be stuck in the same recurring idea that Power is everything.

How can one argue with that? Power is something everyone strives for, though maybe not in the same forms but it's still considered power nonetheless.

Then there was the fact that Y/n L/n lives in the Era where the world of heroes and superpowers were the norm.

Yet Y/n didn't care much for the titles her society has decided to label it's people.

Heroes and villains? Not exactly her problem. What were the people expecting when Quirks, superpowers basically, started appearing?

Quirk or no quirk? Y/n had no such thing. In most cases when a quirkless, those without power, sees others that do possess a quirk- they'd stand in sidelines in admiration.

Others, like Y/n, stand bitter of their misfortune. She's managed to get over it close to a year after she was first given the news with a little pettiness left in.

But how could Y/n complain?

She lives a considerably normal life. She has a good home and a nice family with slight complications but what family doesn't have it's ups and downs?

Friends. Well, friends were just a subject that wasn't as important to her.

It's like one of those things where you talk to certain people often but don't really know them so it's kind of hard to give them a 'friend' label when they really don't fit the category.

Either way it was hard for Y/n to do anything that would disappoint the people she considered having high obligations to. Like her family.

In her mind it was bad enough they landed with a quirkless kid, even if there were many others in her relative lenage that had met the same faith, maybe they never thought it would be them. It was hard for Y/n to wonder if her parents, despite be loving and supportive, wanted more than what she is now.

At this point the only thing she can do was bring the highest grades she could muster to make up for it. Y/n takes interest in whatever hobbies her parents have interest in. Except, of course, any of their suggestions on her future of dating and marriage.

She may be considered an obedient child by most but C'mon, she's still a teen after all. Her rebellious stage may be just peaking now but soon enough everyone will notice that those little things truly were little things.

After all, in this world there's only one goal for the Quirkless : TO SURVIVE

~*~

Bring!

"Alright, alright, settle down everybody- Hey! I saw that! Sit down. "

Poor Mr.Ross had to deal with a troublesome group of kids. Always riled up about something or someone. Any gossip they can get their hands on and yet when someone actually does something they suddenly have no idea what's going on, let alone who would be the culprit.

Y/n was probably the only student that would be willing to keep everything to herself.

She's quite a strange girl really, she was quiet, never seemed to openly share her opinions about anything or anyone. Y/n only said what she felt needed to be said. Nothing more, nothing less. Over all, if he were to pick one word that would suit her actions he'd say she was -cautious.

"I know everyone is excited about this being your last year as junior high students but we still have a whole year to get through."

Annoyed groans were heard throughout the class.

"Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about it either but with that being said it's time to start thinking about your futures!" Mr. Ross grabbed a stack of papers from his desk and split that stack with the front row so that the students can pass them back to the next row and so on.

"Take a good look at what the paper says and start thinking about the high school you'd like to go to based on what you want to be. If you look at your paper you'll see numbers listed from one to five. This is so that you could lists the high schools from your most preferred, being one, with the others being backup schools just in case. Please don't pick one school thinking you'll get in automatically. Don't get cocky, although it's good to be confident eventually you'll trip over yourself and fall."

Mr.Ross then smiles at the class as he leans on his desk, arms crossed. "I can't wait to see what you guys will become. Hero or not, I'll be cheering for you!"

Despite his warnings, some students turned in their sheet the second he dismissed the class. Everyone made their way out the door, one specifically tried to get away faster to avoid confrontation.

"I'd like a word Miss L/n."

'Mission failed.'

The teen let out an exaggerated sigh before turning to the teacher with a small smile. "Yes sir?"

Mr.Ross holds up the sheet he handed out earlier, only a name to be seen. "Care to explain what this is?"

"A sheet of paper?" Y/n shrugged, faking ignorance.

"Try again." Mr. Ross looked at her blankly. Though on the inside he was slightly amused.

"A sheet of paper.... with words?"

"L/n, this is your future and it's blank." Mr.Ross looks at the paper then back at the teen. "There's nothing on here but a name."

"Perfessor," she started. "Nothing seems .......right at the moment. Even if I go to a regular highschool I still need a major." Y/n leaned against the door knowing she wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. "I do have a back up I can put though."

"Okay. Okay! We can work with that! Um.... I've seen you on duty for hall monitor. You're good at arguing your point to students. How about you aim to be a lawyer?"

"I don't like people."

"That can be fixed." He countered as quickly as she responded.

"O-kaaay, I don't care to like people."

"Doctor?"

"And risk catching a disease? No thanks. I hate doctors anyway."

Mr.Ross nods, well knowing of that tiny phobia she had. He tried to think of something else.

"How about being a teacher? You're pretty smart."

Y/n chuckled. "That's debatable."

Mr. Ross raised a brow. "You're an A student. How do you explain that?"

Y/n shrugs again. "Favoritism?"

Mr.Ross looked at her offended. "I don't pick favorites!"

"Yeah right-" She scoffs. Y/n corrected her stance after seeing Mr.Ross give her a knowing look. "S-sorry." She bowed her head slightly.

"Okay, how about a hero? That's what everyone seems to want to be these days." Mr.Ross caught the exhausted look in his student's eyes. 'She's tired.' He mentally noted. The question was just what kind of tried was she?

"Look, if you really don't know what you want to be just yet then please take your time. This is an important decision to make. Now take this." He handed her back the paper. "Think about it. Eventually it'll just come to you, I just know it! You're going to do great things in life L/n."

Taking that as the end if their conversation, Y/n nodded respectively before she left the classroom with her things in hand.

Once she was out the door, she looked at her high school form before scoffing and shoving it in her bag to be forgotten. What exactly was her teacher thinking when he said that?

"Like I haven't heard that before teach." She muttered in English. She had to be mindful of any eavesdroppers lurking around. No way was she going to let someone butt into her current middle school woes.

'What do you wanna be when you grow up? What is there to be?' Y/n tugged on her uniform's ascot.

Y/n didn't understand the hype the other kids seem to have when talking about their dreams. She didn't have that kind of passion in her just yet. Never really grazed the idea.

Though she was good at a lot of things and in return those very things made her feel good. There was nothing that she could look forward to doing everyday without it seeming like a chore, there was nothing to be passionate about.

"C'mon Ei, when are you going to give her your letter?" A guy tried to encourage his friend. "This is our last year here man. If you don't do it now you might never get another chance!"

"I know that." A young black hair boy with a scar above his eye grips his love letter tighter.

"I heard you aren't the only one who's planning to confess. Some 2nd year said he was going to ask her out soon! You don't want him to beat you to the punch, do you?" Another friend of his pushed.

"Quit saying that! I know! I want to tell her! I do! But this is not something I can just throw at her! I'm not even sure she knows who I am." The letter was paper but felt as heavy as bricks the more his doubts start to cloud his mind. His eyes lifted, ready to add on but his train of thought was cut short when he saw the very girl he was thinking about.

Then again, when has she ever left his mind?

"Y/n." Eijiro mumbled. His friends quickly followed his view.

It wasn't a secret that the h/c haired girl had more than the recently mentioned admirers. During their first year together she was one of the most friendly people around. Always smiling. Always helping. Always laughing.

One day, during an assembly, she ran out. Then when she finally decided to come back after a few weeks, that playful color she had in her faded away. Just like that. Her laughs fell silent, her comments were loaded with hard truths, and her smiles were more rare than meeting All Might in person.

If you squint, you can still see the tiniest bit of joyful color she has left.

Yet, she had this sort of new aura that came with her shut down. She walked every step with purpose as if she own the very spot she just walked into. Never bowed her head, unless it was a powerful higher up or someone she respected. Not to mention she has the top marks in the school.

That alone made Y/n attractive. Add in her looks and you have perfection.

"Oh, hey Y/n." His friend greeted casually once she was in range. "You're out of class pretty late. Are you staying for after school activities today or something?"

"No. I was held back to talk to Sensei." Y/n signed annoyed but stopped walking to acknowledge a fellow student.

"Not getting yourself into trouble are you? What did you do?" The other teased.

"Of course not. I forgot to fill out a form he gave us." She noticed the flustered boy staring at her.

"You three ....should go home if you're not staying for any activities." She started slowly before looking away from him. "You might get in trouble for loitering the hallways."

"Right." The two friends agreed. "Bye Y/n!"

"B-bye." Eijiro uttered just after she turned the corner at the end of the hallway.

~*~

The walk home was no better. The sidewalks were crowded with people trying to see the TV. No doubt another hero report. That's all the news ever seems to cover.

It was always who moved up ranks? Who's the most powerful? Who's more popular?

The heroes almost made it look like they were celebrities rather than the crime fighting peace makers the world originally wanted them to be.

Y/n glanced at the very little corner the crowded screen had left to offer. A live feed of a villain attack. A kid clawing desperately at a villain made out of green goo, trying to get who Y/n assumed was his friend.

"Get a load of this." A bystander commented to the guy next to him. Y/n instinctively turned to listen in. "So many Pros at the scene yet that kid is the only one willing to jump into danger."

"The heroes now n' days." The other scoffed.

Y/n's focus went back to the screen. The uniforms the teens had clearly showed they were middle schoolers like her. The pained looks on their faces were getting to her so she decided to leave before the fight ended. She didn't want to witness any potential deaths.

Not even a few steps away and Y/n was forced to close her eyes when a giant gush of wind decided to show up. Once it settled down, dark cloud started swarming the area, assuming all over town. Rain started to fall down hard.

"Alright! All Might made it to the scene on time!" The man exclaimed. "Now that's a hero!"

"He just changed the weather with one punch!" The other awed at the Pro hero on the screen.

Y/n's clothes were soaked but she continued walking to the nearest store. A part of her was relieved the students were safe. "Groceries." She decided out of nowhere. "I think we need groceries."

~*~

"I'm home." Y/n called out. Changing her shoes for her slipers. A concept her parents had argued about for a while due to the differences of their cultures. Honestly, there was always a discussion as to how things should be done.

"N/n!" Her little nephew ran towards her with a tablet loosely in hand. "Guess what! Guess what!" He used his free hand to grip onto her shirt but quickly stepped back to look at his hand confused.

"Did you have an accident?"

"No." Y/n responded quickly to push away his actuation. "It was raining."

The soon to be four year old looked up with the same expression. Making it obvious that he was still debating on believing his young auntie.

"I didn't." She repeated a bit more forced.

He looked back down at his hand again.

All Y/n could do was sigh. "What am I supposed to be guessing Steven?"

"I saw All Might on the news today!" Steven immediately forgot his intentions on prying any further.

"Oh yeah?" She faked a surprised look. Y/n made her way to the kitchen to put away the groceries as her nephew followed her.

"Uh huh! He was saving people from an giant evil green jello!" Steven stretched out his hands in the air to show off the villain's size.

"Sounds delicious." Y/n smiles.

An older man walks in smiling at the children. "What's delicious?"

"Jello villain."

He stopped, remembering the news broadcast from earlier. "You weren't there were you? Listen, I've already told you. If you see something like that- if you see danger run the other way. Just get as far away from the fight as possible." Her father warned her as if she had already gotten herself into trouble.

"I can handle myself." She reassured him.

"No you can't. They have quirks Y/n, you don't. I just don't want you to get hurt."

Y/n nodded. Her smile slowly falling but she made sure it stayed up just until she turned around to continue unpacking. "Got it."

Y/n couldn't sleep. She had so many thoughts flowing through her mind at once that she wasn't sure which one she should focus on. She tried to close her eyes and let the darkness take her to dream world but all she could manage were quick power naps that only last a couple of minutes.

Y/n groans, shuffling out of bed and into her slippers to make her way down stairs. Maybe she could find something in the refrigerator to get her mind off of things. Sure the whole idea was a long shot, seeing that she'll get scolded by her parents if they catch her up at this hour.

She peaked out her door looking at both ends of the hallways for light or signs of movement.

'Nothing.'

She continued to move closer to the kitchen.

"They should have given her that school choice form already, right?" Her father's voice rang out from the kitchen. "Why didn't she bring it to me yet? We were going to see which tech school would be best for her to go to."

'Shit.' Y/n swallowed as she took a step back, hoping she was out of view.

"Por que? Did she say she wanted to go to a tech school?" Her mother asked as she took one of the hidden treats to eat.

"Yes." He answered trying not to look away from his wife's gaze.

She just stared at him. Peeling the wrapper slowly.

"No." He admitted with a sigh. "Look, I don't hear her coming up with any ideas of her own. I'm just trying to help her out. Going to some school like I don't know, MIT? Could help her later in life significantly."

'We did agree on that.' Y/n thought. 'There's nothing else out there for me.'

"She's having trouble figuring out her life." The wife pointed out with a shrug. "I was the same way when I was her age. I'm just now finding out what I want to do for myself. She needs time."

"Plan B, it's plan B." Her father assured his wife.

"MIT?" Her mother thought back to his suggestion. "Mija's smart but how are we going to pay for that?"

'Oh.' It never occurred to Y/n that some schools might require a bit more money than school supplies. To think her father was willing to spend so much money on educating her when there's a chance she won't even continue doing what she studied for.

It was such a waste of effort on her.

"What do you mean how? Once you're done with those classes, we buy a space and we'll start your whole restaurant thing. I'll keep working my junk yard and then fix up the old mechanic shop for y/n to manage when she's out." He tried slipping the last part in.

'It doesn't have to be fancy dad. I can go to a public highschool too. Like mom said we still have college. By then everything will be okay again.' Y/n couldn't promise she'd stick to what her Dad wants. Like her mother said, things just happen unexpectedly.

Economicly, the L/ns were fine. It was just trying to put Y/n in a very high standard education that was trolling on them.

"The old mechanic shop?"

"Yes." Mr. L/N nodded hesitantly.

"Really?" Mrs. L/N gave him a look.

"As-as plan B. All this is- is just a temp thing, you'll see!"

A/n: Alright listen up, from here on out- it's a read at your own risk. I don't know what I'm going to write in future chapters, I don't know what will ended up triggering who. I will not put warnings for things-⚠️ THIS IS MY ONLY WARNING ⚠️

Plus this is also a rewrite of my original- so yeah it's going to be a bit iffy if you past the chapters I'm not done editing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 117K 76
❝I'M ALWAYS TIRED, BUT NEVER OF YOU.❞ [various x reader] a lazy girl with a few missing brain cells is on the path to becom...
354K 13.7K 57
"*cutely stomps on light up sketchers*" "do it again and i'll beat you the fuck up." "kind of suggestive but ok." .Β·:*Β¨ βœ˜β™šβœ˜ Β¨*:Β·. all play no work. h...
97.9K 3.7K 25
You had always dreamed of being a hero, just like everyone else, but when your quirk developed your realised just how impossible it was. While everyo...
12.4K 488 23
"You're worth it, Y/n. You deserve the world." ~~ After getting dragged to some special hero party Y/n didn't want to go to in the first place, she d...