11 | Starting Line

The family remembers when Y/n was brought over for the first time, just the smallest little thing, a few weeks old. Everyone gushed over her. The room arguing over what quirk she could possibly get. Their side of the family held powerful quirks so it was a natural conversation to have when a new baby comes in.

God's gifts, they were always told.

"Calm down." F/n jumped in. "She's just got here! We don't even know if a quirk is in order or not."

"What nonsense are you spouting now?" His in-law demanded from her plush chair. "This family is blessed. Of course she'll get a quirk when the times comes."

"I'm not saying anything wrong, it's just we also have to consider the possibility of little Y/n being-"

"You mean because of your family?" She cuts him off. She knew their history, she even had the pleasure of meeting his mother. Between the two she found her son much more tolerable. "Either way, her life alone is a blessing we should be thankful for." She tried compromising.

"Right." F/n muttered. "Just promise no pressure, I want her to enjoy herself."

~*~

As they grew, the family started to notice how curious Y/n was about everything. They suppose it was natural for a toddler. She was an only child too, so naturally she got excited to play with others around her age.

"I know! Let's play pat-a-cake!" Y/n cheered. Her hands stretched upwards as she presented the idea to Marie and her cousins. No one seemed to ever want to given into her games, it was clear to everyone that they felt too grown up for her.

"Pat-a-cake?" Katherine, the oldest of the three scoffed. Her fox ear twitched, irritated that they got stuck babysitting again like they do whenever their aunt stopped by. "What are we four?"

"In her case she is four and still no quirk in sight. You should really get that checked out." Raquel, the second oldest, said. "You could be cursed or something."

"What's a quirk?" Y/n asked. The family had tried their best to keep details under wraps as requested by Y/n's parents. "And why would I be cursed?"

"Nothing!" Katherine dismissed quickly before turning to her sister. "Idiota! Watch what you say in front of her or you'll get us in trouble!"

"Um, How about duck duck goose?" Though Y/n didn't know why she wasn't allowed to ask, she decided it was best for everyone if she changed the topic. Her fingers tugged her shirt nervously.

"Pass!" The two answered simultaneously.

"Well, what do you want to play?" She opted, instead of playing by herself. If they won't play her games because they were to childish then she too should be too grown up to play baby games. Anything to follow along in their adventures.

Soon enough Marie, the youngest of the cousins, decided that showing off her quirk wouldn't be a bad thing if they were alone. She held her hand out in front of Y/n's face so she could see her nails. She lets out a couple of small cries as her nails pop off one by one, blood dripping as they did. Not all quirks were meant to be beautiful. New nails were growing in. Sharp, thin, inky black nails. Similar to a lady they saw in a passing hair salon.

Marie was blessed with a shapeshifting quirk. She can be anyone she wanted to be. She could even access their memories if she stayed in their forms long enough. Of course a quirk that powerful had drawbacks. For one, Staying in a form too long will make her forget that she's not them. The second being she has to peel off her own skin and features to grow the new ones in, like shedding.