Beside You

By myheartsmistake

″I'll be right beside you, nobody will break you.″ More

Beside You
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
The Epilogue
FAQ

Chapter Seventeen

37.5K 1.7K 170
By myheartsmistake

Joelle

The park was just as beautiful as I remembered it, maybe even more so. It was almost completely void of people, which might be due to the fact that it was currently ten pm. I sat on a bench, glancing up periodically to see if Zayn had arrived yet. I knew it would be a few more minutes, since I had just hung up the phone with him. He sounded so alarmed when he answered the phone, like he thought something seriously bad had happened to me. You don't really notice how your personality affects other people. If I had been the type of person to call friends or family often, he wouldn't have been surprised when I called him. If I often set up meetings with my friends, he probably wouldn't have been in such a hurry to meet me now. Little things I did - or didn't - do all affected the way others reacted. 

The cold air nipped at my fingers and I shoved them into the pockets of Zayn's jacket, the one I hadn't given back just yet. It was kind of nice to have that piece of him, the reminder that he belonged to me even if it was only for a short time. A distinct giggling sound made me look up towards the entrance for the tenth time. A girl was holding tightly onto the guy's arm, he was smiling like he had just won the lottery while she was laughing in a very girly fashion. They were a stereotypical couple, one that makes you roll your eyes in disgust. They were both so stinking happy, and in the back of my mind I was thinking of all the things that could go wrong in their relationship. He could cheat, she could cheat, he could die, she could get pregnant, they might just not be able to deal with each other anymore. 

"Jo!" My name was called out and tore my eyes off the couple and hopped off the bench to meet him halfway. Immediately he took my hand in his. It wasn't even a surprise to me, it was like that was the way we conveyed our feelings. If we were with a foot of each other, we were holding hands. I looked into his eyes.

That's when the thought hit me: everything that could happen to that couple, could happen to us.

"You okay?" He questioned as I glanced back towards the boy and girl walking away from us. I shook the thoughts out of my head and turned to give a forced smile at him.

"Yeah, I'm good." I said.

"Shall we walk?" Zayn nudged his head toward the path and I nodded in agreement. Without another word being spoken, we walked for at least ten minutes. My mind was so overwhelmed with different thoughts that instead I focused on the flowers that lined the pathway. 

The colors blended together like a painting, the reds, greens and blues swirling together to create their own masterpiece. It was like a scene out of Mary Poppins, the lights making the path much brighter despite the pitch-black sky above our heads. 

"What are you thinking about?" He broke the silence.

"Mary Poppins," I replied immediately in a very serious tone. It was, after all, what I was thinking about.

He gave out an adorable chuckle, as if he thought I was making it up so I didn't have to speak my mind. "Alright, don't tell me."

"I am!"

"Don't lie," he smirked.

"The lights remind me of that scene in the movie where they meet the penguins." I defended myself. 

"But it's night," he pointed out.

"Maybe I don't remember the movie that well, but I swear they had lights like this in the movie." I said, letting Zayn's hand drop and pulling the jacket tighter around my waist. He pouted, which he always did when I wasn't holding his hand. 

"We'll have to watch it then, sometime." 

"It's a good movie," I said. 

We reached the end of the path, so we continued on the grass. It got darker as we continued on, not that either of us really cared. I knew that soon enough we would be at the other end of the park and I would have to head home, since I had an early morning at work.

"What time do you leave tomorrow?" I changed subjects. Part of me was hoping he left during my shift, so I wouldn't have to deal with another goodbye. Yet I also was hoping that it was after, just to spend more time with him. Maybe go get a cup of coffee or something. 

"Noon is when I'm supposed to leave since it's an hour drive without traffic, they want us there early to make sure everything goes smoothly. What time do you get off work?" He turned to me. I could see it in his face that he wanted it to be before.

"Two," I sighed. 

"Oh."

Instead of reaching for his hand, I shoved both of mine into the pockets. I walked with my eyes on the ground, unsure of what I should be feeling at this moment. Zayn followed my example, his hands in the pockets of his jeans. 

"Come with me. It won't be as bad as you think it will be. Capris will be there, Moni and Autumn will be there, and we'd have a great time. We can explore the streets of England or just stay in the hotel room and watch movies, or just listen to music. You don't have to talk or anything." He never met my eyes while speaking, instead it was like he was talking to the ground.

He was so close to begging that I could feel my heart tearing just a bit. "I can't, Zayn. I have a job and family, I can't just leave. I wouldn't fit with you there anyway. I'm better when I'm somewhere where I'm comfortable."

"I know." He breathed out, knowing that it was the answer I was going to give but hoping nonetheless. "I'm going to miss you."

"I know." I echoed. "I'll miss you too."

We finally reached the end of the park, where my apartment was only a block away. I knew that he would insist on walking me the rest of the way, so I stopped beside a tree. He did the same. I pulled my hands out of my pockets. He reached for my hand. "You okay?"

"Stop asking, I'm fine." I was tempted to roll my eyes but I knew better, he was only worried about me. Though he had no reason to. "Don't walk me back to my flat, I'll be fine. You need your rest, tomorrow's a big day for you. Have fun on this tour, make it about the music, okay?"

"Okay," his eyes bore into mine and it was like I was transferred to a different place. A place where there was no pain, where it was only the two of us. If only it was that easy. "That walk is a lot shorter than I remember."

My mind and my heart were thinking different things in the next few moments. My heart yearned to be close to Zayn, while my mind was screaming that I would only get hurt. My actions seemed to lean more towards my heart, since I found myself leaning towards him instead of away. 

My eyes shut and my lips had something feathery and light against them. It was a lot like a fairytale, the kiss that would awaken Sleeping Beauty. It wasn't rushed, instead our lips just barely touched in a way that made my toes curl. His hands were suddenly on my waist, and somehow my arms ended up wrapped around his neck. The pressure of our lips against each other grew. There was no need to make it messy, instead it was comfortable. 

That's the way it was with Zayn, with him everything was just comfortable. Talking to him was simple, holding his hand was easy and everything just happened so effortlessly. 

The kiss only lasted a few seconds, I pulled away before I could lose myself into his warmth. We just stared at each other for a few moments before I shrugged off his jacket and tried to hand it to him, but he shook his head quickly. He was silent, and he still seemed a bit shocked by the kiss, yet he was adamant that I wouldn't give his jacket back. 

Having the jacket, it would be a part of him even when he was on the other side of the world. A memory of the time that I was his, even if it was only for a short time. 

I slowly let go of his hand, the fingers brushing against each other for one last time that night. I tried my best to smile up at him, but it seemed impossible. "Bye, Zayn."

________________

Dedication to niall_gal_4ever. I love your comment so much!

First of all MY BEST FRIEND SURPRISED ME. She told me she was coming home from college tomorrow, but she got in last night, so she showed up at my workplace and I screamed so loudly. SO THAT IS A REALLY EXCITING THING. 

Second of all TAKE ME AS I AM WAS CHOSEN AS A FINALIST FOR THE WATTY AWARDS! That's totally unreal! I can't even believe it. I'm against some amazing people (like you, wifey) and I would love your support when voting time comes around :)

Third of all CHRISTMAS IS IN A FREAKING WEEK AND I HAVE LIKE NO PRESENTS FOR ANYONE. CRAP STICKS.

Fourth of all I LOVE YOU ALL SO BLOODY MUCH. Please be safe this holiday season and remember that you are incredible <3

~*~*~*~*~

Instagram/Twitter; MyHeartsMistake

~*~*~*~*~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 765 28
trust me, I won't hurt you. -Markdy fanfic-
1.5K 82 35
{M.G.C} "No matter, What It will always be you I promise you that." "No one can ever replace you. I love you."
4.1K 121 17
I will protect you, I wouldn't leave you alone again, I will be here by your side, I will be your Happiness. cover © to my friend.
1.1K 34 27
" I won't give up without a fight, and neither will you. "