Chapter Fourteen

Zayn 

Almost immediately after I had entered the Syco building for one of our last meetings before the tour, I was bombarded by two of my best mates. Louis and Liam were on me like two cats on a mouse. 

"Why are we the last to know everything around here?" Louis asked with a stern expression written across his face. If I hadn't known him better, I would have thought he was actually mad at me. Since I had gotten to know him quite well over the years, I knew that he was only playing with me. He had a very significant tell when he was truly angry, he would gnaw on his lip and he would be significantly quieter than usual. His face wouldn't give away the fact he was angry, as he would look the same, instead his lip would be between his teeth and he would simply look at you. It was like the silent treatment, and you feared for your life because you never knew when the strings would break and he'd be on a rampage.

"Last to know what?" I asked, continuing on my way through the building with Liam and Louis flanking my sides.

"You guys are official?" Liam finally said after Louis scoffed and crossed his arms in annoyance. Liam didn't sound as annoyed as Louis, instead he seemed more curious. 

"Joelle and I?" The question was obvious, yet it was more of a way to postpone what I knew was inevitable. Liam and Louis were the ones who had been there during the entire thing with Taryn and they knew the impact it had on me. They were the ones who had heard me complain for days on end after she left. Through the tears and the screams, they were the ones I could rely on.

"No, the McChicken and Niall." Louis rolled his eyes quite obviously.

"Oh, yeah, he confirmed it yesterday." I said in complete seriousness. We entered the elevator, and I could hear Liam chuckling quietly beside me. 

"You and Joelle, dumbass." Louis smacked me upside the head with his hand, not hard enough to hurt but enough to get his point across. The twenty-one year old always seemed to use violence to get his point across.

"I thought it was obvious that we were." I shrugged my shoulders to try and make it sound nonchalant, because I never did tell them personally of the event that happened three weeks prior. It made me feel even worse that it happened only a couple of feet away from them, and yet they still weren't positive of wheither we were still in the 'just friend' zone.

"Hey, Liam!" Natasha, quite easily one of Liam's most serious admirers, piped up the second we exited the elevator. Louis and I did our best to hide the smiles that were threatening to break out, we both put our heads down and walked right past her. Poor Liam, being the good guy he is, forced his own smile as he asked how her day was going. She was one of those girls who if you just glanced at her, you'd never know that she was the best at her job. What her job was, I wasn't quite sure, but I knew that she was amazing at it. She had been there for as long as we had, and even before we got our mega popstar image, she was grabbing coffee for Liam and making sure he knew that if he ever needed anything, she was there.

Liam continued to awkwardly discuss the weather, while Louis and I tried to not laugh.