Chapter Seven

Joelle 

He seemed so picture perfect and I didn't know how he could even think about dating me. He hesitated a bit when he learned about my lack of dating experience and how I wasn't going to fall in love. I mean, it wasn't a for sure fact, because if I could envision my self falling in love with anyone? It would be him. But I wasn't interested right now; if I wanted a relationship, I could have one. There wasn't a need for it though, there never had been. I dated in school because it was what everyone else was doing and I treated the guys like they were pets. I wasn't sure how to react back then, so I would give them snacks and call them 'good boyfriend' when they did something for me. Relationships were such an unexplored subject for me.

It was nice, I can't lie, how we talked to each other like we had known each other for years. I didn't do all the listening, he actually seemed interested in what I had to say. There are people who pretend to be intrigued by your words, just so they could then return with an hour long monologue about how their life was so much worse. Zayn seemed actually attentive to everything I said, even though it was only explaining how my job at the radio station worked. Most people would be rolling their eyes and yawning every other second at what I had to say, but Zayn was different.

"So you do get to pick the songs?" He asked, finger pressed to his lip as he leaned on his elbow. 

His brown eyes never left mine, as I spoke. "We get a list of songs that need to be played during our shift, but we usually get to pick about five on our own, since the list only consists of twenty songs." 

"I never really thought about what it would be like to be the interviewer, instead of the interviewee." 

"It's what you think it would be." I shrugged.

Zayn glanced at his watch and his eyes grew to be as big as saucers. "I'm so sorry, Joelle, but I gotta go. I gotta be at the studio in ten minutes to do some re-dos. It was really nice getting together. Next time, we can do dinner and a movie?"

"I told you… I-"

"I promise that we can take this as slow as you want to, but give me some hope, will yah? I promise to stay under the radar, and no one needs to know where I am. There's something here and I want to know what it is." Zayn was so convincing that I couldn't help but blush.

"Yeah, I'm free tomorrow night?" I offered.

"Perfect. I'll text you." The grin he flashed me as he left warmed me down to my very tippy toes. He was quite persistent, and a very persuasive person. If I didn't watch myself, I'd be engaged to him within the next week.

I stayed in my spot for another ten minutes, trying to wrap my mind around everything that had just happened. The fact that I just had a successful date was almost unthinkable, and I decided against telling anyone. The last thing I needed was it to be made out to be much bigger than it was. I didn't like having people speculating about me, rumors about Zayn and I were not wanted at all. I fished my hand around my purse, firmly grabbing ahold of my old LG Remarq, quickly dialing the number for my home. "Hey Blake! I'm so glad you're home! Can you let mom know that I'm catching a cab right now and I'll be there in about fifteen?"