Chapter Two

Zayn 

She was captivating.

Something emitted from her, as if it was the feeling of sympathy mixed with understanding. She didn't flat out start saying 'you are a celebrity therefore you have nothing to complain about'. Instead of judging the second we started talking, she listened. Not that phony type of listening where they're only processing about a third of what someone is saying to them, but the full intensity of caring about the words that came out of their mouth. It truly was a one-eighty from what I had become accustomed to. 

Joelle couldn't exactly be described as a 'flawless' human being, yet that brought so much more attention to her. She didn't have the society's version of beauty, instead it was a soft, subtle gorgeousness that could hardly be described. She had this type of curly brown hair that was streaked with dark red highlights. They didn't look unnatural, yet I could tell she wasn't born with it. There was makeup evident, but instead of hiding her flaws it highlighted her lighter tone. Her eyes were as green as the grass on a beautiful day. Little freckles accented her cheeks, nose and her forehead. Her little black dress complemented her athletic figure, the black lace hovering just below her collarbone. Her shoulders and arms were well-defined, not stick thin. She could probably win an arm wrestle with certain people I knew. She had her flaws, but they joined to create up a perfect girl.

I've never been a believer in love at first sight, but I definitely believed in intrigue at first sight. She had this vibe about her, that she wasn't going to be your typical girl. We sat in a settled silence, my leg bouncing up and down as I watched the club pulsing with action. The clock by the couches read ten pm, but it felt so much earlier than that. 

"You know," I broke the silence. "It's really weird to be sitting next to someone and have them not trying to talk your ear off."

She laughed, short and sweet. Our heads turned simultaneously and she smiled at me. It was crooked, yet perfect. "Same."

My mind searched for something else we could talk about, but I came up empty. I didn't want to be the stereotypical person that came to vent about his life to her. I wanted to stand out. What it was that drew me towards this seemingly normal girl was unknown. I wish I could say 'it's because of her eyes' or 'I fell in love with her smile' but I couldn't - instead her quietness perked my interest. It wasn't an infatuation, instead it was more of an intrigue. I didn't want to kiss her senseless or propose to her on the spot, I wanted to talk and find out her story. Why was she here? Why was she friends with Grimmy? Why did she keep all the gossip she found out to herself when she could easily make money off of it?

"Please stop staring at me." Her voice burst through my thoughts and that's when I realized I had yet to tear my eyes off of her. She seemed amused, yet uncomfortable. 

Clearing my throat, I issued a "Sorry" before focusing my eyes on the ground. Soft, black, fluffy carpet lined the area with the sofas that were slowly starting to fill up. I guessed that after a few hours had been spent on the dance floor, people found the sofas as their rest area. They surrounded the main area as well, little groups of four-five chairs or sofas in clumps. Time passed and I tried to think of subjects to be bring up to get Joelle talking, although it looked as though she was trying to do the same with me. It was obvious that she didn't talk much - instead she usually was on the listening side. We got a few drinks as the time went on, and I tried my best to keep from staring at her. Despite the constant movement around us, we stayed in our spots, hardly moving an inch.