Chapter Three

Joelle 

There should not have been a level of surprise when I was told that One Direction was coming in for an interview. After all, their single had just been released and they needed as much play time for it as possible. Originally, Neva was supposed to do the whole thing while I got the day off. Neva was our main DJ at Mess and she certainly had a bubbly personality; I don't think she ever shut up. The two of us were complete opposites, as I stayed on the quiet side unless I was on air. She was always happy and always talking. So I was aware that One Direction were doing an interview with the station, but it was supposed to be on the day I wasn't required to go in. But Neva called in with food poisoning, resulting in a last minute call to me. I had plenty of mixed emotions on having to now conduct this interview as I wasn't exactly sure what would happen.

I enjoy One Direction's music, but as with every celebrity I've met: the person talked about in magazines is totally different from the actual person. The thoughts, the dreams, the reality for these people aren't widely distributed. Instead, the things that would make them sell more albums was what everyone talked about. That's the way the celebrity world worked.

When I was informed that I would have to take over the One Direction interview, I wasn't sure how to feel about it. Three nights ago I had been in the company of Zayn Malik and I enjoyed every last bit of it, for the first time I didn't sit and listen to someone drone on about their life for hours. Yet I actually found myself wanting to know about him. I let a sigh pass through my lips as I adjusted my cross-body purse before entering the back of the radio station. The front was already plagued with girls all hoping for a glimpse of their favorite popstars. Plenty of people were in the building already as well - despite the clock reading 5:40AM. A few of my co-workers gave me a wave before going on with their business, each one knowing exactly what to do in order to keep the station running smoothly.

When I had first started my internship, I had been so overwhelmed with how much work needs to be done at a place like this. Honestly, I used to think that all that was needed was a mic and a DJ with some songs. There are certain procedures, though. Such as the ability to set up songs in the correct order with commercial breaks and news segments, or organizing radio parties. As time went on, I became much more comfortable: it had become my second home.

"Joelle!" Carrie, the general manager, called out as I passed by the break room. I skidded to a stop and popped my head into the room, eyes immediately latching onto her. As usual, her brown hair was swirled up in a messy bun and she had a pencil between her pointer and middle finger, occasionally chewing on the end. In a pencil skirt and floral blouse, she gave off the perfect picture of a manager. 

"Yeah?" I said so she knew I was listening. 

"Once you're settled, we're having a meeting in the conference room. Thank you so much for coming in last minute, you're the most reliable person ever and I love you for it!" She grinned and gave me a thumb's back before going back to a conversation she seemed to be having with the sales manager. Carrie was one of those bosses that complimented you often, trying to make you feel needed. Sometimes it was exactly what someone was desperate to hear and made them work much harder at their job. Though, whenever we had a problem occur, she'd have a hard time talking to the person who caused it as Carrie loved to encourage people, not lecture them.