The Time the Sky was Dark

By Raneko_chan

A re-writing of Mystery Dungeon, this story is about a timid Riolu who meets a badly-wounded Eevee and a shy... More

Prologue
Miracle reasoning
Becoming a team
First day
I scream, you scream, we all scream for... Dimensional scream?
0_o Creeper alert o_0
what's a magikarp?- a test of friendship + timegear know-how
We still hate you, Chatot. You sent us into a hole.
Chatot's being nice! Maybe because of a random new Casino...?
Behind the curtain... Friendship grows
When karma comes to kick your butt... An expedition is discussed
Sasha the Sneasel
Bobbing for apples.
Life's a Beach
Let's dance
Necessary Roughness
Silent Storm
The Chosen Ones
A new friend
More new friends... kind of.
A very long chapter in which Crystal flirts and a bunch of cliche stuff happens
The Message
The Escape
The Capture
I Believe
Start of Something New
Split Apart
The Return
/Don't\ /Stay\ /Cry\ /Close\ /Alone\
Just a Dream
Come Morning Light
The Courageous Stone
Defense
Offense
Blind
Inside the darkness
Deep in the Dark
In the Twilight of the Past
The Dawn of the Last Adventure
The Last Noon
Challenge of Proof
Riding Rainbows
Temporal Tower of Terror
Hero, Pt. 1
Hero, Pt. 2
Gravity (The Final Chapter)
Epilogue

A New Plan

336 4 2
By Raneko_chan

Crystal didn’t know how they did it, but they managed to reach the base. They had outrun time, even with their injuries. They were now back at the guild, exhausted, hurt, but alive and safe from the end of time. As soon as they got back, Chatot had called everyone back. Officer Magnezone had come as well, with his Magnemite deputies. In fact, he spoke to the entire guild.

“ZZZT! Thank you for helping us with our criminal investigation! ZZZT! ZZZT! We have Mesprit under protection! Her safety is assured. ZZZT!” Crystal stared at him. She thought Mesprit was a guy! Was this like Wigglytuff gender-bending? Everyone thought he was a girl at first… “ZZZT! We are dedicating all resources to the pursuit of Grovyle. ZZZT! ZZZT! If you come across any information related to this case, please let us know! ZZZT! ZZZT! We must all cooperate to bring this criminal to justice! ZZZT! ZZZT! That is all, now please excuse us! ZZZT!” His speech over, everyone watched as Magnezone started to leave. He floated up the ladder. Chatot turned to Team Sapphire, who were grinning triumphantly at each other.

“My, my! I’m absolutely astonished! So there was a lake deep under the Northern Desert? And that wasn’t all? A Time Gear was also down there?” Chatot exclaimed, a hint of praise like icing on top of the cake of his flabbergasted manner, but Rise looked down sadly. No amount of praise would change what had happened.

“Yes, but about that Time Gear… Grovyle stole it… And we failed to even slow down Grovyle…” Rise said sadly. “In the end, that’s the same as doing nothing at all!” he whimpered.

“That’s not true, by golly! You all did great work!” Bidoof protested, but he was sad as well.

“Hey, hey! I think so too! Team Sapphire can be really proud!” Corphish said, a little more cheerfully. “But it’s a shame about the whole thing… There’s no clue telling us what we should do next, right?” This next mini-speech was a little less cheerful. “Hey, hey! If only we had one tiny hint…” Corphish said, losing all cheerfulness.

“I must agree.” Dugtrio said. “Where will Grovyle strike next? We have no way of knowing.” Crystal sighed. All of this was making her rather sad. Although they meant well at first, it wasn’t helping.

“It’s too bad that the opportunity to catch him slipped away.” Sunflora said. “We’re back to square one!” That wasn’t cheerful at all. Crystal saw that this made Rise feel even worse, and she wanted to hit Sunflora for speaking so carelessly.

“Maybe not, not necessarily.” Dusknoir said. Everyone stared at him.

“Dusknoir, sir!” Chatot exclaimed. Dusknoir came to the front. All eyes trained on him. They were all curious to hear what he had to say. The wise Dusknoir must have some kind of plan!

“There are some clues.” Dusknoir said. “One Time Gear was at Fogbound Lake, guarded by Uxie, correct? Another Time Gear was at the Underground Lake, guarded by Mesprit.” Dusknoir pointed out.

“Oh, that reminds me! Mesprit said something interesting! Mesprit knew that the Time Gear from Fogbound Lake was stolen! Uxie alerted her in telepathy!” Rise exclaimed. Crystal stared at him. How had he forgotten that?

“Incredible!” exclaimed Dugtrio.

“Now THAT IS really something!” Loudred yelled

“I should have known.” Dusknoir said. Everyone turned back to him, awaiting words of wisdom. “There is an ancient legend… It is believed that Uxie is the being of Knowledge. And that Mesprit is the being of Emotion. But three Pokémon in total represent the spiritual world… and are said to keep the world in balance.” Dusknoir explained.

“Th-three?” Rise asked. “So besides Uxie and Mesprit… There’s another Pokémon like them?”  He was a little confused.

“Yes.” Dusknoir replied. “The last of the trio is Azelf, known as the being of Willpower. Uxie and Mesprit both guarded Time Gears… Therefore, Azelf may likewise be protecting a Time Gear.” He explained.

“Oh, I see!” Chimecho let loose the ringing bells that were her voice. “If we could locate Azelf… We may find a Time Gear with the Pokémon, and we may have a chance at seeing that thief Grovyle appear!” she chimed.

“That’s correct.” Dusknoir said. “Those three Pokémon, Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf… all three are said to dwell at lakes. It’s a fact that both Uxie and Mesprit were encountered at lakes. As such, I believe that Azelf will be found at a lake somewhere. Let’s keep something in mind. Uxie’s lake was located on a high plateau. Mesprit’s lake was hidden far beneath a desert. In both cases, the lakes were hidden in unusual places. So the lake that Azelf lives will be somewhere that we least expect it to be.” Dusknoir explained further.

“I get it NOW! You’re saying we shouldn’t look for water in the usual places!” Loudred yelled. It seemed like a light bulb came on over the entire guild member’s heads at that point.

“My, my, my! I commend you on your wisdom, Dusknoir, sir!” Chatot said. “I feel renewed admiration for you!” Chatot burst out happily. Dusknoir blushed.

“Thank you…” he mumbled. “It’s really nothing…” Dusknoir looked embarrassed at all the praise he was getting, and deserving.

“No, no! We, too, revere you!” Dugtrio called out. “First it was you, Dusknoir, sir, who directed us to the Northern Desert. It turned out there was a Time Gear far below the desert. So, Dusknoir, sir, your insight was entirely correct.”

“Oooh! So maybe the other places we searched… the eastern forest and the Crystal Cave…” Sunflora said, “Those places could still be hiding their secrets from us!” she jumped up in excitement. Dusknoir gasped.

“I have an idea!” he said aloud. “Bidoof,” he turned to the beaver-like Pokémon, looking up at him excitedly, “I have a request. That crystal you picked up previously, may I borrow it briefly?” he asked. Bidoof was taken back and sucked in air through his teeth, making a funny whistling sound.

“My crystal?! No-no! No sirree!” he refused with a whimper as he held something close to his chest. “That’s my precious treasure, by golly!” Crystal thought briefly of Yuuki-chan, Rise’s stone. She turned around just in time to see him fondle the rock behind his back. Dusknoir sighed, but there was a little bit of amusement in his eyes.

“Of course, but rest assured, we won’t take it away.” Dusknoir said.

“We won’t?” Chatot questioned. Crystal let out a snort of laughter.

“No, we won’t. We won’t do anything of the sort.” Dusknoir assured Bidoof, who looked freaked out by this point. He turned to Crystal, who was struggling not to laugh throughout all this. She couldn’t help it. Bidoof was always so funny and amusing. She was in the middle of holding a huge one in when Dusknoir said her name.

“Now, Crystal-” he was cut off by her laughter. She practically fell over. Although not knowing exactly why they were laughing, the guild laughed with her. It was such a tense time they’d practically lost their minds from the stress of saving the world. Even Dusknoir chuckled. Everyone turned to him, even Crystal. Why did he think she was funny?

“Yes, Dusknoir?” she said finally, all laughed out to where it hurt to breathe.

“There is something I would like you to do. Please touch Bidoof’s crystal.” Crystal was startled at this request, but a little amused as well. A Crystal touching a crystal… she snickered. I guess I should touch it… but why…?

“If a secret hides within Crystal Cave, if Crystal touches the crystal, it may trigger the Dimensional Scream. It may trigger a vision!” Dusknoir exclaimed the last part. Crystal was a little surprised at his excitement. Dusknoir didn’t seem to be the emotional type, but she was seeing Sunflora’s infectious energy had found its way into the great explorer Dusknoir’s heart.

I see, so that’s what this is about… Crystal thought.

“Dimensional Scream?” Loudred questioned. “What’s THAT?” the last part was high pitched, and it hurt their ears. A couple guild members winced at his voice, but did not chide him for being so loud. Everyone was used to it, even Celeste. Before Crystal could reply and gloat about her ability, Rise stepped in.

“It’s a special ability that Crystal has. Sometimes, when Crystal touches something, then she has a vision of an event in the past or the future that involves it.” Rise explained. Crystal smiled, feeling a pinch of pride as everyone gasped in shock and awe. She was glad she had the ability. It distinguished her from everyone else. She may be still new to the guild, but she was no rookie, not any more.

“Oh my gosh! Really?” Sunflora gasped.

“Hey, hey, hey! There’s really ability like that?!” Corphish gasped.

“I desperately wish to borrow the crystal because of Crystal’s ability. Please, may we?” Dusknoir asked. Bidoof looked around awkwardly. He started to sweat in his embarrassment. He really didn’t want to give it up, and everyone knew it. They all stared at him, eager for his answer.

“Oof… OK, I can’t refuse a reason like that!” He said at last. He slowly walked over to Crystal, who, for once, was admiring his for his selfless attitude. He gently handed the crystal over to Crystal.

“Thank you, Bidoof.” She said. This crystal bearing my name… what will you reveal little crystal? Crystal thought as she slowly looked around. Everyone was staring at her expectantly. A rush of embarrassment flowed through her. Everyone was watching her curiously. She wondered if she would see anything.

“Well, Crystal?” Rise asked as she touched it. She winced as the dizziness shot through her. Here it comes…

The arrow shot through her mind. This time, it came as a vision, voices and everything. She looked around, taking in the surroundings quickly. She looked around for a lake, but only saw the crystal floor that reflected everything. Her attention turned to the two figures. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw Grovyle, but what caught her eye was the figure in front. Most of its body, including its two tails, was like Mesprit and Uxie. It had a white body, long arms, useless feet, and the only difference was in its head. It looked like it had a rounded blue wizard’s hat, with a garnet as its crest. It had a blue mask and bright yellow eyes. One of them was closed, and hidden by a crimson-stained paw. The entire body of the fairy creature was shaking fiercely. The creature was barely floating. Grovyle, however, looked perfectly fine. She was startled when she felt a sense of relief. The blue fairy creature groaned in pain.

“Now I’ll take it!” Grovyle said triumphantly. “The Time Gear!” the thief walked in his strange hopping gait around the weakened creature. The creature let out a gasp of pain, and let out a choked cry. Crystal was shocked at Grovyle’s cruelty. How dare he hurt the fairy creature!

“No! You can’t take it….” The creature tried to float after Grovyle. “Never…” The vision ended as the creature collapsed. Crystal let out a gasp. That was… Grovyle was trying to steal a Time Gear! There was also another Pokémon… Was it Azelf? Anyways… the crystal did trigger a vision… It took her a minute to register that everyone was still staring wondrously at her.

“Did you see anything, Crystal?” Rise asked. Crystal nodded, and, with a sigh, turned to the others. She began to describe the events, and the creatures themselves. Grovyle, she had no reason to explain. They all knew what he looked like. She took extra time describing the unique features of the fairy, and paid special attention to the background. When she was done, everyone was shocked, almost beyond words.

“WHAT?!” as usual, Loudred was the first to open his big mouth.

“You saw Grovyle knock out a Pokémon?” Chatot was next, of course. “The one you’d never seen before, and then he tried to steal a Time Gear?!”

“Oh my gosh!” It seemed everyone wanted to comment on her ability. “Your ability is thrilling!” she was surprised at who spoke after Sunflora was done gushing.

“How did you get to see all that, by golly? It’s mighty hard for me to grasp!” Bidoof gasped. Before she could reply to any of these, Corphish cut in with his comment.

“Hey, hey, Crystal! So that Pokémon you couldn’t recognize… do you think it could be Azelf?” he asked. Crystal was getting overwhelmed with comments. She wouldn’t know how to begin to answer them. Before she could begin to process, she had another voice for her attention.

“I… I have a question for Crystal too.” A sweet voice chimed. It was Chimecho. “Did you see the past, Crystal? Or was it in the future?” Crystal was shocked at the last question, unwilling to answer by the fact she didn’t know. Her visions didn’t normally come with a date. It sure would be helpful if they would. With everyone looking at her expectantly, she knew she had to answer.

“I’m not sure.” She mumbled.

“So, you are not positive if it’s the past or the future…” Chimecho repeated. Crystal nodded. The ones who hadn’t commented before were definitely going to comment now.

“Well then… since it is impossible to tell if the vision is of the future or the past, then Crystal’s vision may well be of a past event. In that case, the Time Gear may already be stolen from there.” Dugtrio said matter-of-factly. Chatot squawked and flapped.

“You’re saying we may already be too late?!” At this statement, Crystal felt the panic level rise in the room. Before it could reach 100%, however, Dusknoir intervened.  Crystal felt a rush of gratitude towards him. The ghost type was wise, and seemed to always have a plan, some good advice, or a bit of sanity to snatch in her insane world. She liked Dusknoir. She really enjoyed his friendship.

“Everyone, please hold on!” he yelled above the clamor. Every pair of eyes were on him. “Yes, it’s true that it may have been a vision of the past, but it could have also been a vision of the future. If you would be so kind, could you please remind us of what Mesprit said, Rise? Who informed Mesprit via telepathy that a Time Gear was stolen? If I recall correctly, did you say that it was Uxie?” Everyone turned to the Riolu in curiosity and desperation. The Riolu looked like he was thinking hard.

Don’t lie to me! Crystal heard Mesprit’s voice as she remembered. Uxie used his telepathy to tell me what happened! I know that the Time Gear from Fogbound Lake was stolen! Now that she thought about it, Mesprit did seem a tad… girly…

“Yes, there’s no mistake.” Rise said.

“But the name Azelf…?” Dusknoir inquired.

“I’ve never heard it before.” Rise answered confidently. Crystal was jolted out of her thoughts to listen. “The name Azelf is new to me. I only heard it today from you, Dusknoir, sir.” Rise explained further.

“Then there’s still a chance!” Dusknoir exclaimed. “If Mesprit claimed that Azelf had alerted her about the stolen Time Gear, then Crystal’s vision would surely be in the past, but that was not the case. Mesprit did not mention Azelf; therefore, it’s possible that the event happens in the future!” This quieted the panic. They all simply stared, taking this hope in.

“I see…” Chatot said.

“One more point, and this is a sure thing. Upon touching the crystal, Crystal experienced the Dimensional Scream. The vision indicated the presence of a Time Gear, which means… Maybe what we seek is inside Crystal Cave! Perhaps there is a passage there that leads to a Time Gear.” Dusknoir said.

“Yeah! Maybe it IS there!” Loudred yelled happily.

“Of course, we may already be too late.” Dusknoir pointed out. “Or we may still have time! As long as a chance remains, we must never give up! It’s our only option!” Everyone turned from private conversations to agree with the wise ghost.

“Hey, hey! Absolutely!” Corphish cheered.

“There’s no other choice! We have to pin our hopes on this!” Dugtrio said.

“Good thinking, Dusknoir, sir! Yup, yup!” Bidoof admonished.

“Oh my gosh! I’m all fired up from excitement!” Sunflora exclaimed.

“Let’s GO, everyone! Let’s search Crystal Cave!” Loudred yelled.

“Dusknoir, sir!” Chatot said. “There’s only one thing to do, and that’s explore Crystal Cave!” Chatot exclaimed over the cheering of the guild members. Crystal was getting caught up in the excitement, as well.

“Let’s go!” Chatot said. “The whole guild will be involved! Onward to Crystal Cave!” Chatot turned to Wigglytuff. “Guildmaster! Please issue the call of duty!” Everyone assembled back in line and waited. “Guildmaster! Hmmm…? Guildmaster?” Chatot fluttered in front of Wigglytuff. “Guildmaster! Are you with us?” he said.

There came a snoring noise.

“H-hey, you gotta be kidding…” Corphish whispered as snickers came from somewhere in the room. For once, it wasn’t Crystal.

“No! It looks like…” Dugtrio whispered just below audibility.

“He’s fully asleep! With his eyes wide open, too! Ewww!” Sunflora gasped, trying to keep her voice low.

“Eeep! The Guildmaster is so very charming…” they heard a sigh in Chimecho’s direction.

“When do you all suppose he took to snoozing?” Bidoof said to the others.

“100 Poké says at the beginning.” Crystal whispered.

“You’re on.” Diglett whispered back.

“You think he’s maybe been asleep from the get-go?” Loudred gasped in shock, more at Diglett gambling than their Guildmaster’s snooze. Chatot noticed that they were all whispering, and he began to panic.

“Guildmaster! Guildmaster!” he flailed in front of Wigglytuff. Everyone stared and held back snickers.

“… huh…?” Wigglytuff stared at them all in confusion. He obviously had no idea what in the world was going on.

“GUILDMASTER!” Chatot screamed. 

“Chatot!” Wigglytuff yelled back.

“YES, GUILDMASTER?!” he stopped flailing now, his breath quickening. He gasped, and quickly sat at his left hand. “Er, I mean… yes, Guildmaster?” he said. “Er, to take it from the top… there was…” he never got to finish his sentence.

“Everyone! We’re going after Grovyle! YOOM… TAH!” he exclaimed. Everyone cheered, both glad their Guildmaster was awake, but that they had a new mission, and that they would save the world.

“Let’s go to Crystal Cave!” Sunflora said.

“Hey, hey! There has to be a secret there somewhere!” Corphish said.

“Let’s get down to business and start our SEARCH!” Loudred yelled as he pumped his fist in the air.

“I will accompany you to Crystal Cave,” Dusknoir said, “Let’s do our best, everyone.”

They all cheered, especially Team Sapphire, and they all ran eagerly to Crystal Cave.

                                                                      ~*~*~*~

  Crystal, Rise and Celeste had finally made it to where they could rest. There was a lot of water, and brilliant blue crystals everywhere. Crystal was breathing hard, exhausted after their fight for life in the monster house they’d encountered earlier. Celeste turned to her, looking worried.

“Are you ok?” she asked. Crystal fought rising anger. She was just fine! Why couldn’t she handle herself? She munched on a pink gummi they’d found, contemplative. The crystals beneath her were like glass. She looked down, wondering what exactly she looked like, and shuddered. She was not an exceedingly beautiful sight. She wiped stray fluff from her face. Suddenly, Rise let out a gasp.

“Hey!” he yelled. Startled, she jumped up, all fur on end.

“What is it?” she demanded, cross at being scared so easily. He ran to the side, dragging Crystal along with him.

“Look, Crystal! It’s the lake!” he said. Crystal was about to say something sharp, but she found no words. Indeed, it was the lake, the very lake they’d been searching for! She wanted to hug Rise immediately.

“G-good job, Rise!” Celeste said before Crystal could wrap her paws around Rise’s excited frame. Crystal huffed, but was otherwise unaffected. I’d better get used to it now… she thought as Celeste ran up and hugged Rise. This thought did not make the jealousy go away. Ignoring the two, she looked out into the lake.

          The lake was a large mirror, but at the same time, it was clear as if the water was not there at all. No wind marred the smooth surface, and no paw dared ripple it. Blue crystals just barely poked the surface, and underneath, Crystal could see more of them just under the glassy surface. It was one of the epitomes of pure, untouched beauty. It was just like Fogbound Lake.

“Incredible! Look at all those crystals jutting out of the surface!” Rise pointed to a particular one, which looked more like a huge cluster of them than one single crystal. Celeste sighed happily.

“Do you think this could be the lake Azelf lives in?” she asked. Crystal decided to step in. She’d had enough of Celeste’s ‘man-stealing’.

“Well duh, if I was Azelf I’d like to live here.” She was tempted to touch the edge, but she knew that the water would probably be cold. She also felt that the lake was sacred. There was an aura of consecration around the lake, and she felt even touching the surface would destroy this holy mien. Rise was silent a moment, as if he could feel the sanctified atmosphere, as well.

“Hey Crystal.” He crossed to her, and she stared at him. “Look over there… there’s a greenish blue light…” he said. Crystal at first wanted to ignore him, but curiosity won her over. She looked out at the lake, and saw that next to what looked like a large island made of flattened crystal was a turquoise light shining out of the water.

“I see someone!” Celeste gasped, and pointed to the island.

“Let’s go!” Rise said, but Crystal stopped him.

“Wait, how will we get there? We can’t swim. Well, I can’t, very well…” or at least, that’s what she had assumed ever since she’d been told she’d washed up on the beach. Had she been able to swim, she’d probably not have been dashed up on the rocks, or whatever had happened that had made that wound that caused blood to cover her neck fur that first night. Whatever had happened, it wasn’t good.

          She wished she could remember what happened. All she could remember was salt water burning her throat. She remembered a horrible, stinging pain on her neck, as if someone was slowly swirling a knife into an infected wound. That was probably the salt in the ocean. She remembered fading in and out of consciousness on the beach, and then being found by Rise. It was all rather puzzling.

“No, there’s a path over there, on the side of the lake.” Rise pointed it out.

“That’s a long way to walk.” Celeste said.

“It’ll go faster if we run!” Crystal pelted towards the path leading to the island, feeling a sudden sense of urgency. What if what happened in her vision was happening right now? They reached the beginning of the path and stopped, as Rosepoison was obviously not as fast as the rest of them. He’d been quiet up till now, ever since he’d saved Crystal’s life from the Absol bite, but not he was in complaining mode.

“Why’d we have to walk all that-” Celeste shushed him, which surprised him and Crystal both.

“What’s going on?” Rise asked, and pointed to the island. Crystal looked over, and felt the same strange feeling she’d felt down in Quicksand Lake… Like déjà vu, an intense feeling of sorrow and happiness, and a little bit of shock, but she fought it down, until only rage was left. He was the one who had hurt Mesprit! He was the one that was stealing the Time Gears!

That’s Grovyle! It was happening just as her vision predicted. The island had a large crystal covering it like a sheet of glass, and larger crystals jutted out from either side. The strange blue fairy creature, probably Azelf, was badly wounded, clutching his eye with a crimson paw. Grovyle was standing in front of him, seeming battle-ready. Azelf groaned, trembling all over, his weak psychic barely keeping him up.

“Now I’ll take it! The Time Gear!” Grovyle exclaimed. He started to hop away.

“No…you can’t take it…Never…” Azelf himself could do nothing, or at least appeared to not be able to do anything. Grovyle was about to mar the beauty of the lake by jumping into its cold depths.

This is what happened in my vision! So it was in the future after all! Crystal thought, and turned when she heard Rise wonder aloud if the blue creature was Azelf.

“Azelf’s in trouble!” Celeste declared.

“Let’s go help! Hurry!” They plunged down the path, and it was only by some miracle that Grovyle had not yet plunged into the depths. He was apparently talking to Azelf.

“Now, sunk down there… that’s the Time Gear, isn’t it?” he turned back to Azelf. “Fine then, Azelf, wasn’t it? I must apologize, but I absolutely must take the Time Gear.” He turned back, this time ready to plunge back. Azelf groaned again, and tried to attack him.

“W-wait…” his voice was barely audible. “Hold it… Grovyle…” This shocked the green-leafed thief, for he stiffened, his entire body tense.

“You know… my name?” his voice was uneasy.

“Your nickname… Grovyle the thief…I heard from Mesprit and Uxie that you were coming. It would have been better if I had just knocked you out directly… but I also thought I could possibly lose… So I set up a fail-safe system.”

“What?!” Grovyle gasped and turned back. Azelf’s eyes glowed, and the entire lake started shaking. It began to cause a seiche as the waves went back and forth, startled to awakening. “What did you do?” he demanded.

          It caught Team Sapphire off guard too. They were only half-way across the bridge when it started shaking. Celeste squealed in fright. Rosepoison exerted a foul-smelling purple liquid, and seemed anchored to the ground. Crystal was prancing around, unsure what to do. She was so confused! What was going on? Surely he hadn’t taken the Time Gear already; he hadn’t even gotten into the water yet!

          With the crystals suddenly jutting out of the water, higher than he could leap, there was no way that Grovyle could get to the Time Gear. He was trapped.

“Th-this… the lake is covered in crystals…There’s no way…” He tried to climb one of the crystals, but they were slippery and wet, and offered no footholds for him. “There’s no way-!”

“Grovyle…” Azelf was still badly wounded, but he sounded stronger now. The blood had become crusty, and scabs had formed. He would live through this.”The Time Gear… You’ll never get it now…” he said triumphantly. “Even in exchange for my life… you’ll never…” He did not expect the sudden rage and desperation in Grovyle’s voice.

“Y-you! I mean to have it, and I will get it! I need the Time Gear!” he honestly sounded like a little boy pleading for his mother’s life. “Even if it means eliminating you, Azelf.” His voice got dangerously low, which meant he meant this threat. Fortunately for Azelf, he did not get to use it, for at that moment, Team Sapphire arrived on the scene, except for Rosepoison, who was quietly awaiting the goo to lose hold so he could move again.

“Stop!” Rise demanded as they finally reached the island. The 3 of them stood in front of Azelf, Crystal growling ferociously. Celeste looked frightened but determined. Rise just looked fuming mad, gnashing his teeth together in rage. “You’re not stealing another Time Gear, Grovyle!” he growled.

“I have no quarrel with you. Out of the way!” Grovyle demanded, getting a fighting stance. Crystal let out a warning growl, ready to pounce, fur on end. Her teeth were bared, her ears were flat, and her hackles were raised. She was just as mad as Rise.

“No! I won’t move!” the aforementioned Riolu declared.

“Make me, leaf-butt!” Crystal growled.

“I will defend Azelf, too!” Celeste declared. Grovyle looked more exasperated than truly angry, as if he was dealing with unruly two-year-olds.

“Are you serious!?” he shook this aside, and looked ready to fight once more. “Then if you won’t move aside… You leave me with no choice! I’ll knock you out first!” Grovyle declared, and immediately pounced, but Crystal was ready. She met him in mid-air and immediately sank her teeth into about where his hip would be. Celeste was guiding Azelf away from the fighting, seeing as she would probably get hurt anyways. (That, and Rise had told her to do so in case something like this should happen.)

Crystal bit deep into his leg until he showed his pain, a simple grimace. Crystal spat out blood.

“Magikarp breath.” She taunted, and immediately tackled him. Rise rushed forward as well, and gave him a force palm to the stomach.

          Crystal and Rise fought viciously, in perfect sync. Crystal dug into the ground, and Rosepoison shot her out in a wall of water from another hole for a splash-filled tackle attack, and right into Rise’s reversal. This didn’t mean they didn’t get their share of injuries as well. Grovyle was fast and agile, and his leaf blade was especially nasty. It caught Crystal on the neck, slicing her thick neck fur in an amusing pattern. The second time did not find itself so easy.

          Rise caught it on his arm, cut deep, a slash right to the bone. He let out a howl of pain like a wounded puppy, which sent Crystal toppling over the edge.

“Die!” She pounced, aiming for Grovyle’s neck, and it was only thanks to Grovyle instinctively putting his arm up that Crystal did not find her deadly target. Grovyle flung her off his arm, loosing some skin along with it, but she jumped right back, tackling and biting. She ended up tackling him into a crystal, leaping off of another and nearly slipping while doing so, crashed into Grovyle… and another crystal.

          Grovyle knocked her back with leaf blade, and she couldn’t help but to cry out and she was knocked roughly away, rolling over the hard earth and sliding painfully to a stop. Rise made no move to defend himself, and Crystal wondered if he even saw it coming. Grovyle gave him a good whack in the back of the head with the blunt side of his leaf. Had he used the other side, he would’ve killed Rise.

          Crystal charged towards him, but was knocked away. She struggled to her feet, but fell again. Celeste was already at Rise’s side, but Grovyle had deflected any attacks she might have thrown at him. He was just too strong! Grovyle started walking towards Azelf. Celeste stood in front of the injured fairy without a word, silently protecting him. Rise was out cold nearby.

“Get out of the way!” he demanded. Celeste said nothing. She was trembling, scared out of her mind, but she would not move. Crystal found herself respecting Celeste for that. She could be a man-stealer and a total crybaby at times, but this? Celeste was… amazing.

“You refuse?!”

Oh Grovyle no… leave Celeste alone! Crystal tried once more to struggle to her feet, ready to defend them both.

“Then you leave me no choice…” he threatened, raising his arm. His leaf glowed…. He was going to use Leaf Blade.

N… No! Not Celeste, leave her alone! Crystal struggled towards them, wishing she was some sort of weapon, but the bag was out of reach, behind Azelf, and the bag was where the rocks and sticks and other throwing items were kept! Celeste’s in serious trouble… I have to help… she placed on painful paw in front of the other, her vision swimming. I… I can’t… Celeste… she fell to the floor, her vision fading.

“This is all for the Time Gear!”  Grovyle exclaimed. “Forgive me!” Celeste let out a terrible scream, and then suddenly, a voice shone through the chaos.

“Stop!” Dusknoir was standing in front of a trembling Celeste, unmasked hatred burning in his eye. Crystal felt a weak sense of triumph when she heard Grovyle’s gulp of nervousness.

“Dusknoir!” Celeste gasped.

“Are you all right, Celeste?” he asked her, without taking his eye off the thief. “Please, let me handle this.” With a well-aimed Shadow Punch, Grovyle was knocked to the ground and let out a pained moan.

That’s what you get, you yellow-bellied wuss chicken! Thought Crystal, but much to her dismay, Grovyle got up.

“Y-you!?” he gasped.

“It’s been too long! It wasn’t easy finding you, Grovyle.” Dusknoir replied.

“Wait… what was that?” Celeste had an immensely confused and slightly shocked face. “Great Dusknoir… you know Grovyle?” Before Dusknoir could reply to her question, Grovyle let out a frustrated growl.

“Even here… you chased me even here! You’re tenacious all right! You cling to me beyond expectation!” he growled.

“Grovyle… You’re not getting away this time!” Dusknoir declared.

“Dusknoir… I’m surprised to see you in this world… but I’m ready!” Grovyle looked ready to fight, as if he hadn’t fought Team Sapphire at all, even though it was plain to see that they had at least drawn blood in this one-sided match.

“So you’ll fight. So be it. But can you win? AGAINST ME?!” Dusknoir raised his hands, as if summoning a great power… and Grovyle disappeared. Dusknoir and Celeste held the same confused faces, and Crystal could only watch the unfolding. She hadn’t even the strength to comment on what was going on, but she did find their matched faces amusing.

“That blasted Grovyle! He never intended to fight me at all!”

For such a wise person, you sure are an idiot. Crystal wished she had the strength to laugh, for that was indeed what she wanted to do… laugh.

“There’s no escaping ME!” Dusknoir disappeared, though not quite as eloquently as Grovyle had.

“…. What… What just happened?” Celeste asked, now the only one fully able to move, but not for long. The emotional strain had definitely taken its toll on her, as well. She fell over, and was about to close her eyes for a well-deserved rest when…

“EEK! There they are!”

“Hey, hey! Come on, hurry!” Suddenly, they were surrounded by the guild apprentices.

“Oh, Golly! They’re down!” Bidoof exclaimed fearfully.

“Hey, hey! Are you all right?” Corphish asked, because someone obviously had to ask the stupid question.

“They’re badly hurt!” These voices were beginning to fade away. Crystal began to feel as if she was floating.

“Hurry! We need to get them back to the Guild for treatment!”

“All RIGHT!”

                                                                    ~*~*~*~

        They were back at the Guild. Rise’s arm felt like it’d been nearly chopped off. He snuck a peak at it, but found, with confusion, that it had been wrapped up. When was this done? He couldn’t remember anything.

“Oh! Are you awake?” he heard Chimecho’s voice tingling, and he looked up to see the wind-chime peering at him. He got up, and found himself back in his room. Celeste had just woken up, as well.

“W-where…?” she asked, as she looked around.

“You’re in your room at the guild. You were all hurt. You’ve been sleeping all this time.” Chimecho said.

We were all…? Crystal! Rise looked around, and saw the faint rise and fall of the chest of his Eevee partner. He ran to her side, and with his good arm, gently shook her.

“Are you all right, Crystal?” he asked immediately. Last he’d seen her, she and Grovyle were both crashing into one of the large crystals! She slowly awoke with a growl, and stared at him a moment. He couldn’t read her emotions.

“Rise…” she said. Rise began looking her over. None of her cuts seemed life-threatening, although she did have one heck of a bump on the back of her head from hitting the crystal. She nodded slowly, as if barely able to comprehend him.

“I’m fine.” She hid her face in his chest fur and leaned against him. Rise let out a sigh of relief.

“I’m glad to hear it,” he said as he flattened the worst of her head fluff down.

“I can speak again… I remember at Crystal Lake…” Celeste was speaking now.

“How is Azelf?” Crystal asked. Her voice was devoid of emotion. She sounded too tired to care.

“Is Azelf ok?” Rise gasped, suddenly remembering that the fairy was wounded, as well.

“He’s fine. Compared to you three, his injuries weren’t that severe. He regained consciousness earlier. He’s in the Guild now.” Chimecho explained.

“Oh excellent!” Rise exclaimed happily.

“I’m glad you’re ok too, Crystal, Rise, Celeste.” She nodded to each one of them, and they nodded back. “I should let the Guild know you’re awake.”  She rung a sweet bell and her voice suddenly escalated.

“Everyone! They’re awake!” Suddenly, they were charged by every Guild member at once.

“R-really?! AWESOME!” Loudred shouted with glee. Crystal and Celeste winced, but Rise was happy to hear the shouts of their friend and fellow apprentice.

“Oh my gosh! That’s wonderful news!” Sunflora exclaimed.

“Oof! I’m mighty glad!” Bidoof looked as if he was about to cry with joy, which would have surprised no one. They were all used to him. Even Crystal seemed to tolerate him, regarding him with warmth as a parent does a young child. “If anything were to happen to y’all…” he whimpered. “I’d… I’d…” he started crying, as Rise predicted. He couldn’t help but laugh.

“You guys are getting so emotional about this!” suddenly, he paused. Celeste wanted the floor.

“There’s something I want to share with everyone.” She said.

“Hey, hey…?” Corphish was dumbstruck, they all were. Celeste was not one to normally do this.

“And what would that be?” Prompted Sunflora…

- - - - -

“WHAT?!” Chatot flapped his wings in shock. “What did you say?! You’re saying that the Great Dusknoir and Grovyle… They may have known each other from before all this?!” Chatot gasped.

“Y-yes sir… It sounded like it when they were getting ready to fight.” Celeste replied.

“Well, then… What became of Dusknoir?” Dugtrio asked.

“Well, Grovyle escaped… I think he went off in pursuit.” Celeste said evenly. Suddenly, a blaring noise shrieked over their heads.

“WHAT?! The EMERGENCY siren!” Loudred gasped as everyone held their ears best they could, which was easier said than done for some of them.

“Hey Diglett! What’s the matter?” Dugtrio asked.

“It’s an alert from Magnemite! I’m told it’s an emergency call sent out by officer Magnezone!” Diglett turned to the hole he was ‘sitting’ next too. (Can Digletts sit…?) “Deputy Magnemite! Please shout your message down to the sentry post!” he called into the hole. “Please speak clearly!”

“Zzzt! Can you hear me? Zzzt! Zzzt! This is about an important announcement from Officer Magnezone! Zzzt! Zzzt! Everyone! Please gather at the main square in Treasure Town! Zzzt! Zzzt! He will have a major announcement to make to everyone! Zzzt! Zzzt! All Pokémon in the area have been called for the meeting, not just those in the guild! Zzzt! Zzzt! That is all! We hope for your cooperation! Thank you! Zzzt!” That was the end of the message.

“What’s happening now?” Rise asked.

“An important announcement? What might it be?” Sunflora asked.

“Hey, hey! No point in wondering! Let’s go get the answer! Hey, hey! Let’s get a move on to Treasure Town’s Main Square!” Corphish declared.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

709 122 20
Reina is your average Pokémon. Her whole life she's lived in a small town with her dad. With his help, she practices battling everyday. She actually...
705 45 19
It's been ten years since her father and best friend had been taken without a trace by Team Rocket. With her new Ranger post assigned, and Pokémon b...
29.3K 1.7K 52
The Heroes of Truth and Ideals have left the Unova region, leaving behind chaos that eventually settled. But what hadn't settled however, were the re...
15K 523 71
[--Under editing--] The world is vast. Meet Oliver and Jacob, two Pokémon living in a universe where humans no longer exist. When Jacob, an excitable...