Diadem

By halimalfoy

❝Assallam alay-❞ Holy chicken. Hottie alert. Does my veil look sexy? The holy month of Ramadan; a month whe... More

D I A D E M
D A Y Z E R O
D A Y O N E
D A Y T W O
D A Y T H R E E
D A Y F O U R
D A Y F I V E
D A Y S I X
D A Y S E V E N
D A Y E I G H T
D A Y N I N E
D A Y T E N
D A Y E L E V E N
D A Y T W E L V E
D A Y T H I R T E E N
D A Y F O U R T E E N
D A Y F I F T E E N
D A Y S I X T E E N
D A Y S E V E N T E E N
D A Y E I G H T E E N
D A Y T W E N T Y
D A Y T W E N T Y O N E
D A Y T W E N T Y T W O
D A Y T W E N T Y T H R E E
D A Y T W E N T Y F O U R
D A Y T W E N T Y F I V E
D A Y T W E N T Y S I X
D A Y T W E N T Y S E V E N
D A Y T W E N T Y E I G H T
D A Y T W E N T Y N I N E
D A Y T H I R T Y
D A Y Z E R O (2)
LAST AUTHOR'S NOTE

D A Y N I N E T E E N

1.8K 202 210
By halimalfoy

A/N: Thank you so much for your patience, ily ♡
Gif on top is Ophelia wearing a crown bc she's queen.

———

My neck feels like it's on fire.

During the whole tussle with Venus, I didn't even notice that she was trying to choke me (kill is a very strong word and I'm not going to be using it anytime soon)

But moving on.

I stare at the pages of my novel; Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot, without actually really seeing anything. I have my reasons for this.

...Well, actually, I only have one.

"Are you sure you don't want to tell mom and Álvaro?" Vanessa continues staring at me like I'm an alien. "I mean, they aren't cops but mom will definitely turn to a bullet and Álvaro might screw her over. With a screwdriver, of course."

I chuckle lightly. "I'm okay Vanessa. Feels surreal that she actually hates me but...you know. I'm okay."

Vanessa rolls her eyes but nods. "You should do something about it though. You can't just let her get away with it. I mean, I'll respect your wishes but that doesn't mean I have to respect your decisions."

I laugh at her logic. "I love you, Vanessa. You're the best sister someone could ever wish for."

The silence hits me before my words can. My mouth drops open when I realize that I haven't put that word 'step' as a clear distinction.

"I-I mean," I fumble for words, "Best step sister. I don't mean the kind Cinderella had though—"

"Stop being a dork," Vanessa cuts me off. She reaches over to hug me tightly and I freeze because she actually sniffles. Is she crying? "You're the best sister ever too."

Her words make me smile and I let out a laugh before embracing her hard.

———

It's good to know that you have people in your life who care about your well being.

"Time to make more popcorn," Vanessa hollers as she walks into the living room. Ophelia and I are busy setting up our movie marathon; watching all the Step Up movies, starting from the third.

"Why?" Ophelia looks up at Vanessa. Then freezes.

"Hey!" Calypso grins. She's never had jitters around new people.

Gatsby gives a small smile that almost looks like a smirk. I pretend like I don't see the immediate blush that dusts over Ophelia's cheeks.

Well, this could be interesting. Unfortunately, I'm not going to let it extend. My sister and my soon to be possible best friend fighting over the same guy? No way in hell.

"Hey, brother in law!" I holler, vaguely breaking the heart of my crush's sister. Regrets? Nope. "Hey Calypso!"

Vanessa rolls her eyes but even I can see the stars in them. "We aren't married."

Calypso scoffs with a slight laugh and flips her mop of blue hair. "Yet. I've been third-wheeling for years. I'll be damned if I don't get a few godchildren."

Vanessa does her best impression of a tomato. Gatsby is a tomato.

I chuckle and pull Ophelia up to her feet. "Well, Ophelia and I will make some more popcorn. You guys should get comfortable. And everything."

"Can we watch Annabelle? I wanna see Gatsby pee his pants."

"Calypso!"

"He still pees his pants while watching horror movies?"

"She meant it as a metaphor!"

Ophelia chuckles as we walk into the kitchen. "Gatsby is pretty cute."

"And Calypso?"

"Just dapper," she laughs. I'm glad that she's able to take the fact that Gatsby is off-limits like a woman with boobs of steel.

"Yeah, they're pretty nice people," I shrug. And they're my friends. I wouldn't trade them for a Prada purse. Maybe a Givenchy dress though. ...Haha. I'm joking.

"Talking about nice," Ophelia watches me as I get more bags of popcorn to go microwave, "How do you feel about Venus and her animosity towards you?"

I pause in my steps to give her a look. She flushes. "I'm a reporter for my school newspaper. Sorry."

I chuckle loudly. "Nerd."

"Geek," she sticks her tongue out at me. I shrug and make my way to the microwave. She keeps quiet as I set the timer and turn towards her.

"At first," I take a deep breath, "I was shocked. But then...now, I'm just confused. There has to be more of a reason why she could hate me. It's not just Damon oriented."

Ophelia nods. Somehow, she's holding a can of Dr. Pepper. I decide to ignore it.

"I don't think it's just Damon centric," Ophelia says, "She obviously has a thing against Latinas. And well..."

I raise an eyebrow to encourage her to go on.

"In school, you know the girl that's pretty and hangs out with the popular crowd because she's desperate for friends and thirsty for popularity? The one that can be bossed around?"

I nod.

"Well, that's Venus," Ophelia shrugs, "She sold her soul for Gucci and boys."

I raise my eyebrows. "So why would she hate me? I don't care if she's an errand girl for bratty popular kids."

Ophelia chuckles softly. "Yeah. But here's my theory; I think she's jealous of you."

My brain short circuits without a moment's hesitation. I blink at her and she stares at me with cool eyes as she sips her Dr. Pepper.

"Why would she be jealous of me?" I frown, "I mean...sure, Damon likes me. And I know I'm pretty awesome. But that has nothing to do with popularity."

"Actually, it does," she speaks through a mouth full of fizzy drink, "You were once popular, right?"

She's treading into dangerous waters but my curiosity is still strong. "Yeah."

"Well, you aren't exactly unpopular. Dude, I don't think you know how everyone knows about you. Shoe in to be Queen Bee Paulina Suarez leaves behind her popularity to pursue Islam as a religion. I wrote the column. Pretty snazzy if I do say so myself."

I smile tightly. Who the heck still says 'snazzy'?

"I mean, you had it all. Things that she wants and can't have unless she does some outrageous stuff. You had it and to her, you probably threw it all away. And yet, you still have friends that care about you and the boy she's mooning over is mooning over you."

The microwave dings. She gives me a look. "Just think about it, okay? Venus is a lot of things but she isn't a lost cause."

I fake an indifferent shrug. "Okay."

———

"Why can't I dance like this?" Calypso wails as Moose kills yet another dance that involves lots of water and stomping. I'm sitting between Ophelia and Calypso, holding the bowl of popcorn.

The lovebirds are busy in paradise, trying to watch themselves and the movie simultaneously.

"You know, Paulina can dance almost this well," Vanessa pipes up, "Not as good as Adam G. Sevani but pretty close."

"Who is Adam G. What?" Calypso blinks her brown eyes in confusion as she looks at me.

"Moose," Ophelia answers. I send her a grateful look.

"Oh. Paulina. Why don't you dance for us?" Gatsby says with a twinkle in his eyes. I shake my head.

"I'll pass. Maybe another day," I wave my hands in a slightly off-hand way.

There's silence for a moment as we continue watching the movie.

Give thanks to Allah...

"For the moon and the stars," Vanessa sings in her signature hyena voice. Gatsby winces while Calypso and Ophelia laugh loudly.

I roll my eyes and grab my phone. "Continue the movie without me. I'll be back."

I walk into the kitchen without waiting for a reply. My heart sinks in my chest when I see the person's contact name.

I know Ophelia doesn't want to get in the way so she hasn't told Damon that the space I'm asking for isn't a general thing. Nonetheless, I'm happy that he respected my wishes, unlike some cake filled idiots who stalk me from the Café across the street.

But moving on.

My finger hovers above the reject button but I can't find it in myself to ignore the call.

So I press the answer button instead.

"Hello?" my voice comes out breathy like I've been dancing the Tango.

"Diadem," he mutters, "Hey."

There's silence for a moment. I take my time to look around the kitchen. I can see the fridge, the dishwasher and a bunch of spoons and knives which we don't really use—

"I just wanted to hear your voice. Know how you were doing and stuff," he chuckles lightly but it sounds somewhat strained. I pretend like it doesn't make my heart feel like its being blended into a puree.

"Thanks," I sigh, "I'm okay. Thank you."

"Anytime," he says quietly. There's a long moment of silence and I lean against the wall for support. I play with the edges of my veil.

"It isn't your fault, you know?" I can't help but smile, "She's just an insecure, crazy girl in love with a guy that likes another girl."

"Doesn't matter," he says, "I should at least have the balls to own up. It's indirectly my fault and I'm sorry about that."

"Stop saying sorry; it's getting tiring," I say. He laughs and my heart warms.

So much for space.

"So...I'll talk to you later. You're meant to be having some of your space," he says warily. I can imagine the uncertainty on his gorgeous face and I close my eyes.

"Don't be a stranger."

"Okay," he says, "Oh and before I cut the call, I've been learning some Arabic."

"Sounds cool...but you do know I know Spanish and little to no Arabic, right?"

I can hear his eye roll. "Yeah but...still. Wanna hear something?"

"I might not know the meaning but sure. Please go ahead," even the Joker doesn't have a smile as wide as mine.

"Inna muejab bik," he says. The words sound a bit slurred like he's not sure of the pronunciation but he says them nonetheless.

"Hmm?" I hum, "What is that meant to mean?"

"That's for me to know and for you to find out later," he says. He sounds cocky. It's a hot sound on him. Not that I'd ever tell him.

"Whatever," I click my tongue, "I'll find out soon enough."

"Wait!" he practically shouts, "I made a mistake. It's meant to be 'ahabak. Hope you don't mind."

"Mind what?" I raise my eyebrows. I also vaguely wonder if he's alright. Did he hit his head against a fire extinguisher?

"Me 'ahabak-ing you. Don't google the meaning though. Promise?"

He says it in a way that makes my heartbeat pick up like I'm running a marathon. It's so sincere and raw and how can I lie to such a voice?

"Okay. I promise," I shrug, "I'll...I'll talk to you later."

"After you get your space of course," Damon interjects quickly and I press my fist to my lips to keep the laugh from bubbling out. He's so cute.

"Yeah," I affirm, "After I get my space."

He cuts the call and I take my time to put my phone into my pocket. I know I look like a goof with the way my lips are stretched out into a smile but I don't care.

I turn around to walk out of the kitchen and I slam my face into a meaty wall. I inhale soap and cologne.

"Gatsby! How long have you been here?" It's not like I've said anything wrong... it's just that it's Gatsby.

But maybe it's better than finding Calypso. Or Ophelia. Or Vanessa.

"Don't be a stranger," his green eyes twinkle behind the thick lens of his glasses, "So. Who's the guy? And when am I going to have my god kids?"

"Gatsby?"

"Yes?"

"Shut up."

a/n: I needed to do something a bit heartwarming since the last chapter was absolute shit.

A lot of things are going to be uncovered, okay? I just hope you all have the patience ♡

Have fun, stay blessed, I love you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.2K 3.8K 31
"Can a broken heart ever be mended?" ** c_elijah 2017
280K 20.8K 64
COMPLETED ✔️✔️ Excerpt. *** "I won't bite. . .yet. . .I promise" He said with a teasing smirk. Walking in the rain didn't sound like a bad idea. Na...
203K 39.1K 61
(Featured by wattpad) A twisted halal relationship (acceptable in islam) on the right side there's Tayba the beautiful girl,who wears her hijab as he...
83.5K 4.6K 37
Ever had a crush? Ever been in love? Of course Yes. Read this story and I bet you will adore it(hope so) Imagine you in the place of...