The Adopted Daughter

Oleh shiigoddess

Ayla Holmes had a rough life growing up. Her father walking out on her mother when Ayla was a baby leaving he... Lebih Banyak

Introduction
Chapter 1 - Lone Girl
Chapter 2 - Striving
Chapter 3 - New Friend
Chapter 4 - Hanging Out
Chapter 5 - Affluent Woman
Chapter 6 - Sleepover
Chapter 7 - Please Don't Hurt Me
Chapter 8 - This Is What I Want
Chapter 9 - Great Friend
Chapter 11 - One In A Gazillion
Chapter 12 - I Have To Be Strong
Chapter 13 - You're My Best Friend
Chapter 14 - Confession
Chapter 15 - Confused
Chapter 16 - Decision
Chapter 17 - Moving In
Chapter 18 - Shopping
Chapter 19 - I Don't Belong Here
Chapter 20 - I Can't Live Without You
Chapter 21 - Recovered
Chapter 22 - I Could Get Use To This
Chapter 23 - A Good Feeling
Chapter 24 - Let's Have Some Fun
Chapter 25 - Dating
Chapter 26 - The Mistake
Chapter 27 - Reunited
Chapter 28 - I Must Be Dreaming
Chapter 29 - Did She Just Say My Name
Chapter 30 - Mother-daughter Love
Epilogue

Chapter 10 - Where There's A Will There's A Way

782 63 17
Oleh shiigoddess

Kate's P.O.V

It's Friday and i'm at work signing the files for a new client that the advertising department made. I didn't have alot of work today because I got my assistant to clear most of my schedule so I could go to the Orphanage today to look at prospective girls to adopt.

I was excited and nervous at the same time. Excited because I will be meeting the girls today and getting to know them and nervous because I can't help but think, what if they don't like me? Well i'll just have to wait and see.

I look at the time and it says 11:00am. Time for me to go. I pack up the files, grab my purse and jacket then walk out of my office. I gave my assistant the files and told her to give them to Sam the Advertising Director. Then head out of office.

I already told my driver to pick me up so when I got out of my building he was at the front waiting. I walked towards the car then he open the door and I went in. I told him where i'm going then we were off. I can't help but think that this is going to be very interesting.

When we reached the building I got out then walked inside to be greeted by a middle-aged woman. She was short and plump with the brightest smile on her face. She was wearing an orange and black dress.

"Ms Hayles. How lovely to finally meet you in person. Hi i'm Audrey Spinster the Matron of this Orphanage". She said in a cheery voice extending her hand for me to shake.

I took her hand noticing that she's married "nice to meet you Mrs Spinster. Where are the kids? I don't see them around".

"They are in the study room at this time. Come on, let me take you to them", she said walking off.

So I followed her down the hallway to a room which had alot of talking coming from it. We entered and there were around 30 girls and boys in the room talking, laughing and reading books.

"Hello kids may I have your attention please". Mrs Spinster said in a commanding voice. All the kids stop what they were doing and looked at her.

"This is Kate Hayles and she is here to adopt one of you. So say hi to Ms Hayles". She said.

"Hi Ms Hayles!" They all said in unison with happy smiles on their faces.

"Hi kids. It's nice you meet you guys. As Mrs Spinster said I am here to adopt one of you but more specifically a girl. Sorry boys but I want a daughter. I hope you understand". I said.

"We understand Ms Hayles", the boys said calmly.

"Okay girls", Mrs Spinster said. "Ms Hayles will be talking to you one by one so she can get to know you better and you can get to know her as well. Please go to the living room and i'll be their shortly".

So the girls got up and went to the living room. Then Mrs Spinster turn to me.

"Well let's get you and the girls better acquainted. Follow me". She said then walked off. I nodded and follow her.

She took me to a room that look like an office but more comfy. Then she gestured for me to sit on one of the sofa so I did.

"I'm going to get the girls one by one so you can talk to them", she said.

"Okay". I said. Then she smiled and left.

Shortly after a little girl walked in. She looked to be around eight years. She had long curly blonde hair and the prettiest little blue eyes ever. She came and sat on the sofa beside me.

"Hi what's your name?". I asked her in a sweet friendly voice.

"My name is Brianna Saunders", she said shyly.

"That's a really pretty name for a really pretty girl", I said earning a smile from her.

"And how old are you Brianna?".

"I'm eight years old".

"Okay. So tell me about all the things you like to do", I said. Then she started telling me about all her favourite things.

One after another girls came into the room and we talked and get to know each other. It went on for hours. After talking to all of them I was exhausted.

Some of the girls were really nice and interesting while some were shy and quiet. And i'm sad to say I didn't really connect with any of them. I just don't feel that the daughter i'm looking for is in this orphanage. I know that the daughter i'm looking for, I will connect with her by just looking at her. I didn't feel that way with these girls so now I don't know what to say to Mrs Spinster.

At this time she walked in smiling. Oh God, here goes nothing.

"So Ms Hayles, did you find any of the girls to your liking that you want to adopt?" She asked eagerly.

Sigh. I have to tell her the truth but I really don't want to disappoint the lady. But I have to tell her nonetheless.

"Uh...they are really good girls and really nice. But I don't see anyone who I would like to adopt. I'm sorry", I said sadly.

She looked disappointed at first then quickly change to a smile.

"It's fine Ms Hayles, no need to apologize. I understand. I hope you find the daughter your looking for", She said kindly.

"Yea me too. It was really nice meeting you. And could you please apologize to the girls for me I would really appreciate that", I said hopefully. I didn't want to see the disappointed look on their faces when they hear. I couldn't bare it.

"Of course I will. Let me walk you out. Thanks for coming", She said leading me to the door.

"Of course", I said smiling.

I got in my car and left. I didn't want to go home yet because it was too early so I decided to go to the park so I can clear my head.

When we reached the park I told my driver/bodyguard to wait beside the car. I'm really tired of him following me everywhere. Then I walked off into the park.

A/N
P.S: I don't know how things work at an orphanage so don't kill me if I said something wrong. I'm just thinking logically.

¤

Ayla's P.O.V

After Becca found out about what happened to me she's being asking me non-stop about my bruise and how i'm feeling. The girl is literally going crazy over it. I have to tell her that it doesn't really hurt anymore so she would stop worrying about me. That's kind of the the truth still. It only hurts a little bit now.

I still can't believe I have a friend who cares about me so much it's just awesome really and she makes me happy. Happier than i've ever being in a long time. I'm very glad to have her as my friend.

It's Friday and I got let off of work early so I decided to go to the park to clear my head. Of course I couldn't tell Becca this because she'd be angry if I told her I came alone. She's kind of protective of me now but I completely understand.

I look like a grown-up when i'm working because of my waitress outfit but outside of work I look like i'm fifteen. I may be a little bit tall but I look young in my face. My mother always tell me that.

I was deep in my thoughts when I heard someone clearing their throat and I look up immediately. And the most beautiful woman I have ever seen was staring at me with curious eyes.

"Hi do you mind if I sit here? All the other seats are taken", she asked anxiously. She has a really nice voice, her accent is amazing. It's so captivating that it makes you want to hear more from her. She has a Mexican accent. Very interesting.

"Yea sure", I said shyly. Shy? Why do I feel shy infront of this lady. I know i'm a shy girl but since I started working i'm kind of coming out of my shell.

I don't even know this woman and she makes me want to get to know her better. She seems very interesting. I turn my head to her to get a better look at her. She was wearing a white silk dress with a gold belt around the waist and gold rhinestones on the sleeves and gold heels. She has brown hair that has wavy curls. By the looks of it she seems like a rich lady. Her jewelry alone tell me that.

Then I turn my head from her before she caught me staring. And just then she broke the silence.

"Okay thanks. I'm Kate Hayles", She said smiling and holding out her hand for me to shake.

"You're welcome. Ayla Holmes", I said shaking her hand.

"Nice to meet you Ayla. I like your name. It's so unique". She said smiling. This woman has a really captivating smile. And she seems so nice.

"Yes thank you. My mother named me", I can't believe I told her that.

"Really. She must me a very nice lady", She said smiling at me.

Talking about my mom was making me sad knowing that she is not with me anymore. My mom and I argue alot because I was too angry with my nerdy life to have manners to her. I would give her attitude and all that. Now she's gone and I wish I could go back and change everything I did but I know that I can't.

"Yes, she was", I said almost in tears. I wanted to cry but I blink them back.

"Was? What do you mean?" She said looking at me with concern. I just notice that she has beautiful eyes.

I might as well tell her. What's the use hiding it? Plus she's so nice.

"She uh...died a few months ago", I said letting the tears fall.

She noticed then handed me a tissue out of her purse. I took it and dried my eyes.

"I'm so sorry to hear that dear. If you don't mind my asking, how did she die?" She asked sympathetically.

"She had breast cancer", I said calmly.

"Oooh wow. That must have being awful", She said sadly.

"Yea it was".

"Well don't you worry dear, everything will be fine. There's a saying that goes 'where there's a will, there's a way' i'm sure you'll find your way soon", She said cheerfully.

I can't believe the words i've being needing my mother to say to me this lady said it and she doesn't even know me. Then I realize that there are good people in this world. Her words gave me comfort and i'm so thankful to her for it.

"Thank you. That means alot to me. And I hope you're right", I said smiling.

I can't believe she made me smile. A smile only a mother can give a daughter. She's truly a wonderful lady. Her family must be happy to have her. Just then I heard my phone buzz so I look to see a message from Becca.

Becca: Hey how are you feeling now?
7:50pm

As usual she's worried about me. But what caught my attention is the time. I can't believe i've being out here so long. I have to get back to my apartment now. I turn to Mrs Hayles and she was smiling at me.

"Uh...I have to go now. I can't believe i've being out here so long". I said standing up.

"Okay. Well I can take you home my driver is waiting", She offered.

Driver? Wow she really is rich. I live in the poor neighbourhood. That is not her kind of place.

"Uh...no thanks. I'll just get a cab. It's cool. It was really nice meeting you Mrs Hayles", I said walking off. My neighbourhood is too low class for someone like her.

"Okay then. It was really nice meeting you too Ayla", I heard her calling after me.

I smiled then got a cab and head home. When I reached home I couldn't help but feel happy. All I can think about is that lady and how good she was to me.

I got ready for bed then my phone buzz again.

Becca: Hello! Are you sleeping?
8:40pm

OMG I forgot to text her back. I'm gonna have to lie on this one.

Me: Hi Becca i'm sorry I was sleeping so I just saw your messages and i'm fine.
8:45pm

Becca: It's ok. I'm glad your fine.
8:46pm

Me: Yea. I'm gonna go back to sleep now so i'll talk to you tomorrow okay
8:47pm

Becca: Okay. Good night.
8:48pm

Me: Good night Becca.
8:49pm

Then I close my eyes thinking about today until sleep took over me.

°

Question: What do you think is Kate's first impression of Ayla?

xoxo

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

158K 1.8K 16
*Dark Short Story with triggers including abuse/torture and violence, sexual assault, stalking and home invasion* Someone has been been following me...
115 14 5
How would you feel if your comfortable life went up in smoke in under 2 years. Anxious nervous, scared, and overwhelmed are just probably the first f...
188K 7.4K 71
An Indian brother-sister/family story. The Singhania family is the most prestigious family in the country. Together, they seemed to be invincible...
35.2K 1.5K 74
•COMPLETED✔️• "One last thing," Zayn said. "Our boss dosen't agree with this plan. He warned us that adopting would affect our careers, but we really...