Chapter 8 - This Is What I Want

Kate's P.O.V

I'm at my house in my study going through some files for the media reports. Apart from a few grammatical errors everything looks fine. So I made the changes and pack up my desk.

I'm finished with all my pending work and now I want to relax. I called to my head of staff Judy to get me a glass of water. A minute later she came back with it. I thanked her, drank it then went down to the pool to clear my head.

It's now late evening and the sun was setting. The sun sets reflects beautifully on my pool so I normally come here in evenings to look at it. It could be a beautiful artwork but I don't know how to draw or paint. I have employees in my companies to do that part of work.

My mind is drawn back to the solution I came up with a few days ago to adopt. I have being thinking about it alot and I know now that this is what I really need. I need to share this luxurious life that i'm living with someone who needs it. I need someone who I can call my own. Someone who will take over my companies when i'm old. And i'm not talking about a man. What I need is a child. More specifically, a daughter.

I always wanted a daughter so i'm going to adopt a girl. I don't want an infant or a young child, I want someone old enough to understand the situation of her adoption. I called an adopting agency yesterday and they said I can come in any time to have a look at the kids and choose whoever I want. So I will go on Friday because i'm not busy then.

There are alot of kids out their who needs a mother. They are sad, heart-broken, confused, hopeless, scared, frustrated and unhappy. They are lost and just needs someone to find them back, give them hope, love, trust, faith and happiness. And I am going to make a girl really happy on Friday.

Just then I was interrupted from my thoughts by one of my staff members.

"Ms Hayles, your phone", she said handing it to me. It was ringing.

"Thanks Maria", I said taking it from her. My best friend Emma was on the line.

"Hi Em. What's up?", I answered.

"Hi i'm just calling to tell you that i'm coming over to your place soon. I want to talk to you. It's important", She said while shuffling in the background.

I know just what she wanted to talk about. I told her two days ago that i'm gonna adopt but she didn't say much about it so now i'm guessing she has a lot to say that's why she's coming over.

"Uh...okay. See you soon". I said then she hang up.

I got up from my chair and went inside to notify my cooks that Emma will be joining me for dinner. Then I went up to my room, showered and got dressed. Half an hour later I went downstairs just when I saw Emma coming through the door.

Emma Hart and I have being friends since we were babies. Our parents were friends so we were raised together. We are more like sisters than friends actually. She was wearing jeans, dress-shirt and boots with her dirty blonde hair down, mascara and her favourite pink lip stick that makes her lips pop. She looks great as always.

"Kate!" She acknowledged engulfing me in a tight hug.

"Em...can't...breathe...", I said gasping for air. She was hugging me too tight.

"Ohh sorry. I'm just happy to see you".

"I can tell", I said catching my breath "i'm happy to see you too".

Just then Judy interrupted us saying dinner is ready so we went to the dining room to eat.

"I know what you want to talk to me about and my mind is made up", I said taking a bite of my food.

She looked at me concerned "are you really sure that you want to adopt? I mean you are busy all the time and you're single. How will you find time for the child? And how will you do it alone?"

Emma has a 6 year old son and she's happily married. She and her husband Bryan takes really good care of there son Adrian together. So I guess I understand what she's getting at.

"I am hundred per cent sure that this is what I need. I want a daughter to share my life with and I will make time for her. I don't need a partner to help me. Alot of women out there are raising there kids alone. I will manage my time wisely. I know what I want Em and this is it", I said convincingly then continue eating. I don't know why but I feel good about this decision.

"Well okay then. If that's what you want then i'll support you in this decision. And I think you'll make a great mother. You are so good with kids. So a daughter is what you want?" She said drinking her wine.

"Thank you Em. I just need your support. I've always wanted a daughter", I said.

"Of course sweetie. Plus, I want to be an aunt", she said cheerily.

I laughed, "but you are an aunt already". Her big brother has two kids.

"From you I mean", Emma said.

"Right. Okay then". I said laughing.

And now i'm even more certain that this is what I want.

Question: What do you think about Emma?

xoxo