Chapter 19 - I Don't Belong Here

Ayla's P.O.V

It is now Saturday evening which means getting ready for the function. I am standing in my closet trying to decide what to wear. I just can't choose.

Today Ms Hayles and I went and got our hair and nails done. Of course I didn't want to get my nails done but Ms Hayles insisted so I choose simple red and black for my nails. I also change my hair from black to brown with light brown highlights with tiny curls. We also got facial, manicure, pedicure and a full body massage.

I felt really great after all that and when I saw myself I couldn't recognize it was me. I look so different, much more beautiful than I use to look.

Now I feel like a big burden has being taken off my shoulder and for the first time in my life I felt relieved. Just then I heard a knock on the door so I shouted come in.

"Ayla? Where are you?" I heard Ms Hayles asking.

"In the closet!" I shouted.

Then she walked in looking drop-dead gorgeous.

"Hey. Your not ready yet?" She asked.

"Yea I can't decide what to wear. You look really stunning", I commented.

"Thank you sweetie", she said smiling then she started looking through all my dresses and then take one off the dress holder and held it up to me. "Wear this. It matches you hair colour. You'll look beautiful in it and..." she said looking for a shoes "with this shoes. Perfect".

"Okay. This is nice", I said.

"Hurry up and get ready i'll be waiting downstairs", She said walking out.

"Okay".

I got ready then went downstairs. I saw her waiting in the hallway then she smiled giving me thumbs up then we left for the function.

When we got to the function, I have to say I was very surprised to see red carpet with all kinds of celebrities walking on it into the building and photographers taking pics and reporters asking questions. Ms Hayles held my hand and we walked up to the doorman while our pictures were taken and reporters asking Ms Hayles questions like 'who is this teenager Ms Hayles? What is she doing with you? Is she related to you?' but she ignored everyone.

"Hello Ms Hayles. Go on in but who's this young lady?" The doorman asked.

"She's with me", Ms Hayles said then he nod and we went inside.

The place was really nice. Decorated very elegantly. It's evident that everyone here is very influential and are in media. Ms Hayles introduce me to everyone as her daughter and they seem really nice about it because they were nice to me. But it can be an act, you never know. She was busy talking with some other media people so I excused myself and went to get something to drink. There conversation was too boring for me.

I went to the bar and asked the bartender for some juice and while I was drinking three girls came up to me drinking similar juice as mine but I could tell that they were snobby bitches because of the way they dress and act. And of course I was right.

"Who are you? I've never seen you here before and I know everyone here" the blonde girl ask bluntly.

"I'm Ayla and it's the first time i'm coming here", I answered quietly.

"I can tell", the black hair one said while they looked me up and down.

"And who are you here with?" The red head asked.

"Ms Hayles. I'm her adopted daughter", I said.

"Ms Hayles adopted?" The black hair girl asked.

"Couldn't she find someone better to adopt. You don't look like you belong here", The blonde said.

"Oh come on girls. She won't be around for long. Ms Hayles will get tired of her and take her back to where she belongs", the red head said looking at me in disgust.

I can't believe they said that to me and they don't even know me. I felt like crying but I didn't want them to think i'm weak.

"Aww she wants to cry. Go back to the dump where you come from and get out of Ms Hayles perfect life. She don't need a nerd like you to mess it up", the blonde said.

At that point the tears started to fall and I ran out of there as fast as I could. Stupid bitches! This is why I hate rich people. I reach outside, took off all my jewerly and throw them on the ground. Few persons saw me but they didn't care.

Then I left. Those girls are right I don't belong in this life. I'm sorry Ms Hayles but I can't stay here. At that time I heard my phone ringing and I look at it to see Ms Hayles calling. So I threw my phone in the bushes nearby took off my shoes and ran.

I ran until I reached a bus stop. I got on the bus then cried while thinking about what those girls said. I feel so stupid thinking that I could fit in. I can never fit in. I hate my life. I wish I was never born. The bus stop and I got out. I found a homeless shelter then went inside, curled up in a corner on the floor then cried myself to sleep.

When I woke up the next morning I left the shelter and started walking. I didn't know where I was going but I was just gonna walk. My clothes was dirty and my hair was messed up but I didn't care. I took off my shoes and walked barefoot.

I was getting hungry and tired so I saw a bench and decided to take some rest. I was sitting for a while when this man in ragged clothes came towards me. I got up and started to run but he caught me and started hitting me asking for money. He looked like a drug addict. I try to fight him back but he was too strong. I keep telling him that I don't have any money but he wouldn't listen. He just keep yelling 'money' while hitting me.

I couldn't feel anything anymore. He was beating me so bad. I slowly started to drift into darkness and I know I was gonna die. The last thing I said before everything went dark is 'Ms Hayles'.

¤

Question: What do you think happened to Ayla?

xoxo