The Keeper

By robbigee

Marcus is and Angelic Guardian, a Guardian who has been assigned to watch over Brindle a prospective Keeper... More

Prologue - Chapters 1 & 2
Chapters 3 - 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 17

590 17 2
By robbigee

                                                               Chapter 17

Marcus had been with Brindle throughout her meeting with Arias; he remained silent and let her handle the situation as only she could.  He was proud of her stubbornness and how she stood up to Arias.  Marcus has known Arias since he was a Guardian in training and knew even though he had a good heart and would want only what was best for Brindle, he would want to be in control.  This was something he knew Brindle would not agree to, something in fact she would rebel against.

He had tried to explain this to the Arch’s, but they had cut him off and assumed he was being difficult and giving in to his emotions.  They didn’t want to hear that perhaps they were wrong.  Perhaps Marcus actually knew ‘The Keeper’ better than they believed and that what he felt for her was in fact a huge benefit, one she will not have with Arias.

He let Brindle feel him close within her mind, let her feel his warmth and the pride he had in her for standing up to a Guardian.  He knew that in time the Arch’s, in fact all the Angels Guardian or not would realise that for ‘The Keeper’ to be what she was meant to be, she would need her true Guardian with her.  Marcus knew that he would be needed to stand by her side if she were to be all she could be, but for the time being he could do nothing but wait for this realisation to happen.  And pray that Brindle wasn’t taken from them all before then.

Marcus remained within his quarters for several days, what would amount to about a week in earthly days.  He paced his rooms and openly fretted for his Charge, a Charge that had become so much more than someone he was just meant to watch over and protect.  He wondered how she truly felt about him… if she felt anything other than what a ‘Keeper’ would normally feel for her Guardian.

He could have searched her mind to discover what he wanted to know, but that seemed too much like an invasion.  And this was something he knew Brindle would not forgive easily, if at all.  He had thought he would be re-assigned straight away; there were many potential ‘Keepers’ out there that needed a Guardian to watch over them.  They would never become what Brindle was, but they would still be ‘Keepers’ and could be called upon to fight.

Marcus sat by the window and looked out wondering if he would see Brindle again soon.  His vision had given him hope that he may stand with her again in the future, a future that was very different to the world that existed at present.

Marcus knew he couldn’t push to be sent back the his Charge, to do so would only antagonise the Arch’s and give them more leverage in regards to preventing him from doing so ever again.  So he thought to himself he’d bide his time, he’d wait it out and if necessary he’d got to Brindle if she was in need of him… no matter the consequence.

                                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arias followed Brindle, Brae and Father Adrian as they left the basement gym.  He knew he needed to take charge, but he now realised that this ‘Keeper’ had a mind of her own.  She was stubborn and wilful and she needed to learn that there he was there to protect her, to keep her safe.  She needed in effect to learn to do what she was told, because he believed as a Guardian it was his role to lead her.

As he stepped out of the doorway from the gym Father Adrian stopped him, throwing an array of questions at him regarding why it was he was sent here and not Marcus and when would Marcus be returning as he had promised his niece.

Arias tried to calm the priest and began to answer his questions when he realised he could no longer sense Brindle or the Shifter.  He growled at the priest and demanded to know where they had gone.  He was there to protect them and he couldn’t do that if they disappeared on him like this.

Father Adrian looked at him somewhat confused and when he finally spoke, it did not put Arias in a happy place.  “Where would you go if you had the only being in heaven and earth you trusted taken away from you?  Tell me Arias, what would you do in a situation like this?”

Arias found himself glaring at the priest, he needed to find ‘The Keeper’ and he needed to do so now, but he had not been able to make the mind connection with her needed to do so.  And now, seeing the bond between Brindle and Marcus, he wasn’t at all sure he ever could.

Brindle wasn’t just any ‘Keeper’, she was ‘The Keeper’ the one spoken of in prophecy, the one it was said that would turn the tide of evil and bring peace to the world for a millennia.  He shook his head, slowly realising that there was much more to her than any of the Arch’s had realised or even expected. 

She would not bow to the Arch’s because they were supposed higher beings, in fact she was more likely to tell them to go to… well to leave her alone and let her get on with it… her and Marcus that is.  And now that they had taken him away from her, there was no telling what she would do or where she would go.  That she had seemingly taken Brae with her was a blessing, because at least she wouldn’t be alone.

He asked Father Adrian again where she would have gone and he responded saying that in all honesty he had no idea where she would feel safe now.  Arias wondered if Marcus would know, then said to himself that of course Marcus would know.  He knew everything there was to know about his Charge; he had a connection with her from the moment of her conception.  He on the other hand had as they say no clue.

                                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brindle waited until Brae had gained his feet before she released his arm.  “Sorry about that Brae, but there’s no way I’m going to let the Arch’s just take Marcus away from us.  We function as a unit and without him I’m as good as dead!”

Brae nodded not wanting to voice his opinion on the subject just yet; he was still getting use to being on solid ground again after being teleported from the basement gym.  He looked at their surroundings wanting to get a sense of where they were and if there was any danger, but felt only peace and calm.

“My Lady,” he began, “I feel the peace of this place, there is harmony here such as I rarely see now in the world.”  He looked around again and saw that they were standing on a wooden deck surrounded by what could only be a rainforest.  As he turned towards Brindle he noticed a huge Red-Cedar tree standing proudly as if it were the centrepiece of a great creation.  And to his amazement the surrounding flora seemed to show its respect by not encroaching too closely to it.

Brindle smiled at her companion, “This is one of my favourite places in all the world Brae, come there is someone I wish you to meet.”  She reached out her arm for Brae to take it, then led him towards the Red-Cedar.  She stopped about three metres away from the tree and turned towards Brae.  She smiled at him then turned back to the tree once more.

Brindle took a deep cleansing breathe then released it, then she knelt on one knee tugging Brae along wither.  “Old One,” she spoke softly, “I have returned hoping to take refuge in your forest.  I also bring a friend, Brae a Shifter who as joined forces with me to fight the darkness that approaches.”

Brindle both felt and heard in her mind the sound of masculine laughter, laughter that had a feel of bark and wood and earth and stone and she smiled knowing that she had connected with the Cedar and that he in his own way had responded.  She waited hoping for something more and was blessed yet again with the feel of a light breeze wafting around her, encompassing her as if to cloak her in safety.  It moved on to Brae and he bowed his head in reverence accepting the cool feel of it across his skin.

Brindle smiled again and sent out thanks to the Old One for greeting her.  “Where is your Guardian?” Asked the Old One, “You should not be travelling far without him little one.”

Brindle could feel her lower lip quiver slightly, she was trying to be strong, trying to be what she was destined to be, but it hurt like hell that Marcus had been taken from her.  “The Arch’s took him away from me.  The decided he was too close to me and that I needed someone who would focus only on what was to come and not on me as a person… as a friend.”

She felt a tear escape and she quickly wiped it away with the back of her hand.  She drew breath then continued, “Marcus keeps me focused Old One, he knows me inside out, no one else will ever be able to work with me the way he does.  But they are afraid of what is between us… I’m a little uncertain as to exactly what it is we share, but I won’t shy away from it.  I believe to do so would cause disaster.”

“So they have set you a new Guardian have they?”  The Old One laughed as if he saw the joke in the situation, Brindle didn’t, but didn’t say so.  “They are old little one and need to show that they know what is best for you, for him.  So they exert their authority seemingly this time without thinking through the consequences.”

She heard a great sigh in my mind and knew that the Old One was considering the situation and what to say to her.  “They will soon learn that you Marcus needs to be with you little one.”  He seemed to catch his breath like he was trying to stop himself from continuing.

“Come little one you and your friend are safe within my forest, rest and relax.  Take comfort in the forest and when you both awaken we shall speak.  But little one, one thing before you do so.”  Brindle looked towards the tree knowing what was coming, “Where is your new Guardian?”

“Umm,” Brindle began, “the last time I saw Arias he was in the basement gym of St Dominic’s Church with my Uncle.  We umm were in a bit of a hurry when we left and it would seem we left him behind.”

Brindle and Brae could both feel and hear a burst of laughter in their minds.  It seemed that the Old One found what they’d done quite amusing.  “Never before have I heard of a human getting the better of a Guardian, especially one as seasoned as Arias.  He will not be amused at all by what you have done, but child; it has lightened my heart to know that you are capable of putting a Guardian in his place.  Come now, rest.”

A possum came out onto the deck and moved toward both Brindle and Brae, she realised it wanted them to follow her and they were led to a small area that was hidden from sight.  They would be able to see and hear if anyone approached, but they would remain hidden from view.  She knelt down and put out her hand to the possum and when it came close she patted it on the back of the head to show thanks for its help.

They found a spot toward the back of the enclosure and Brindle thought about her home and the blankets in the linen cupboard, she concentrated and brought a blanket each to them to keep themselves warm.  They sat close to each other and Brindle feel asleep snuggled in the safety of Brae’s arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

421K 20.4K 42
Whisper of her lips, Her breath on my face, Eyes, piercing the soul, She is my doom! Freya Morenson is under the protection from a guardian a...
7.3K 322 27
A lost soul trapped by his past hungers to prove that even the most innocent can be corrupted. So he makes a bargain with deadly consequences. In ord...
6K 156 10
Y/N is a beautiful angel, the most beautiful according to the four sons of God; Michael, Gabriel, Azrael and Lucifer. Lucifer, was the only one y/n h...
176K 8.1K 45
Lily is the only person in Golden City who has no guardian angel, thus cannot be protected from any accidental harm. As a result, no one wants to be...