Fly Girl | [Novel] (Wattpad V...

By coceauxpuff

Fame Changes Everything. "Fly Girl" follows the story of four teenage singers on their rise to fame during th... More

Disclaimer.
Prelude : Interview With Broken Idols
1| 'Sweet' Home
2| The Talented & The Petty
3| Everyday Struggles
4| Audition Day (Part 1)
5| Audition Day (Part 2)
6| The Lucky & Unlucky Ones
7| Old Annoyances & First Impressions
8| Trial One (Setting Up The First Change)
9| The Domino Effect (When One Falls, Others Begin To Tumble)
10| Trial Two (A Not So Perfect Fit)
11| Second Chances
12| Ava The Loner
13| Sweet Sixteen & Making Memories
14| Playtime Is Over
15| The Official Beginning (Work & More Work)
16| First Successes
17| Boys... & The Problems They Bring
18| A New Set Of Pressures
19| Release Day, A Birthday, & Unexpected Surprises
20| At The Top (With Someone Pulling Down)
21| Sweet Sentiments & Secrets
22| On To The Next Thing
23| International Love
24| Gearing Up For The Second Go 'Round
25| Home For The Holidays (Part 1)
26| Home For The Holidays (Part 2)
Interlude #1 - A Review With Torii
27| Leno & Late Nights
28| And The Winner Is...
29| Promising Changes
30| Affairs Of The Heart
31| Troy's Battle
32| Fights & A Small Break From The Norm
33| Where Trouble Lurks...
34| Secrets, Rejected Deals, & Sweet Moments
35| Highs And Lows
36| Small Cracks In Perfection
37| Planting The Seeds Of Doubt
38| The Stubborn, The Protector, The Drunk, & The Sorry.
Interlude #2 | A Review With Ava
39| Big Wins & A Low Down Snake
40| Cleaning 'House' and Coming Clean
41| A Fresh Start And Opportunities For Torii
42| Underhanded Dealings
43| Damage Control (Part 1)
44| Damage Control (Part 2)
Interlude #3 : A Review With Leann
45| Freedom And Coping Vices
46| The Low-Profile And The Lonely
47| All By Herself
48| Brandy's Pleas
49| Stubborn Sisters
50| Creepin' On A Comeback
52| Back To Business
53| Flying High
54| It Was Almost Good Again
Interlude #4 - A Review With Troy
55| Win Some, Lose More
56| Good News, Backstage Issues, & On-Stage 'Fun'
57| The Un-Chosen One
58| Good Times and Fools & Their Bullshit
59| When The Truth Hurts
60| Hurt Feelings & Altercations
61| A Talk With Leann
62| Bruised Egos & Ill Wishes
63| The Final Blow (Part 1)
64| The Final Blow (Part 2)
The Outro : Still Broken

51| Another Try

72 10 11
By coceauxpuff

April 2000 :

Torii -

Sitting on the couch, holding on to Chris and Anthony, I screamed a little too loud for their liking when the episode of Soul Train we were watching came back on and they announced Troy was about to perform.

Anthony looked at me and rolled his eyes before letting out a deep sigh, climbing down from my lap and heading straight for Crystal. I just laughed, apologizing before I turned the TV up and rested my head on Raymond's shoulder.

"I can't believe she finally did it."

"Me either, but this is just a test run. So many think she's doing an entire album, but she's testing herself to see if she's finally comfortable being alone."

"She should know that she'll do just fine." I nodded in agreement with Daddy after hearing his voice. He took a seat on the arm of the couch, sipping on a beer. "My child, my child. She's got it, I just wish she wasn't so afraid to let go and get out there for herself."

I smiled, knowing the reason. "Because, she's always so worried about hurting or leaving others behind. It took forever to assure her that I was perfectly okay with her doing anything without me."

Don Cornelius finally said her name, and the audience applauded as the beat to her song began. And when they zoomed in on the stage, there my baby sister stood in this amazing, red dress. It was off shoulder, stopped at the top of her thighs. With her hair cut short in a pixie, she was giving me every bit of the late 80s tease that she was serving. While she was still a small thing, she had a good amount of hips for that dress to hug properly as she moved across the stage.

She smiled, waving to the few audience members that called out her name or whistled as she moved her body to the beat. "Holding you in the moonlight, the feeling's so right. I know you've been waiting. Ooo, your eyes say you want me but my heart says hold on; you've gotta be patient. If it's special enough, Baby, why must we rush? We've gotta be strong. And I promise to give you my all. No, it won't take too long. But you've gotta save your love for me. Slow down so I can love you better; cherish this moment for life. Slow down, let's just share this dream together, and make the magic last... for always."

I shrieked, clapping along with Chris as he quickly caught on to the beat of the song. "That's Troy?"

I nodded. "Sure is. That's your big sister."

"Why are you here?"

I laughed, ruffling his curly hair for a second before I focused back on the TV. "Because, this moment is for Troy only." I smiled wide, absolutely loving her entire performance. It was giving me those old Soul Train vibes. Like, back in the day when Don let people sing live. The audience was genuine in their opinions, and you could see it in their face that they were just as proud as we were.

"Slow down, slow it down. It will be so easy... giving myself to you, yeah. True love is worth waiting for, that's what makes it special. Hold out for a love made in Heaven. La-da, da-da, da da... slow down." She paused for a moment, smiling. "Whoaaaa yeaaah!" And the instant her tiny ass slipped into her whistle, that's when I realized she'd been singing live the entire time.

"Lord!" Everybody looked at me and I shrugged. "That girl good! She good!" Raymond burst out laughing, knowing that I was quoting Coming To America. He also knew why I was shouting. She didn't do a single high note on the actual recording, in spite of his suggestions while he was producing for her.

Then the girl had the nerve to whisper-sing the rest all soft and sensually. "Slow dowwwwn, 'cause I don't want to rush tonight. No, no! Let's take our time and do it right. I wanna give all my love to you. Baby, let's just take our time. Hold meeee! Love me through the night." And back into a high note like it was nothing.

I balled my fist up, acting like I was gonna cry. "That's my sister."

Raymond nodded, giving a stank face as she finished her last note, giggling like she didn't know she'd just killed it. "Your sister needs to record that version she just sung because if we release the actual recording, people gon' be mad. I'm gonna lie and say they won't believe it's her." I laughed. "Why she wanna play like she was so scared?"

Daddy cleared his throat, looking at Raymond. "You should know the answer to that Son, you married the other half of the craziness." I sat up and gently moved Chris aside before tossing a pillow at Daddy, rolling my eyes when he moved and fell out laughing.

After spending the rest of the evening with my family, and making sure they were good for the day while Raymond and I went out to handle business, I headed to the MCA offices for this random meeting Brandy wanted to have with us.

Apparently, with Troy being back in California full time, Leann out of Rehab, and Ava returning from whatever pits of hell she'd crawled to... it was necessary for us all to come face to face. I mean, I wouldn't go in there ready to swing on the girl. I could act professional and civilized, but sitting in front of her on a Sunday after an amazing church service was the last thing that I wanted and needed in my life.

Ava and Brandy were already there, along with Mr. Bellamy and two other executives for the label. Leann walked in right after me, and Troy arrived about twenty minutes later. Her arrival brought a great deal of relief for Mr. Bellamy, mainly, because he still had it in his mind that she was going to continue turning down his offers. He was still attempting to shower her with gifts, all that she'd returned unopened or unused, she'd still been rejecting newly drafted contracts, and she refused to accept any call from him or his secretary. Until today, she was taking no meetings with anyone from MCA, or anyone heavily involved with the label. That included Brandy.

"Glad that you could finally arrive, Ms. Troy."

She looked at Brandy as she crossed one leg over the other, pulling a small notepad from her purse. "Seeing that it's my birthday and I had plans, you should be glad I even came."

Brandy looked at me, almost as if she expected me to scold my sister about her mouth, the way I would a few years ago. "Don't look at me, she's grown."

Clearing her own throat, Brandy sighed and shook her head, getting things started before any of us could lose interest. "First and foremost, I don't know what the issue that you all have with me is. I've been nothing but a constant supporter of you all. I love you all as if you were my own daughters, and to have to literally pray that you'll answer my calls or speak to me with some damn sense, I don't like it."

Ava raised her hand. "You must be speaking about those three, because you never talk to me unless it has something to do with business."

"Because you told me, specifically, to stay the fuck out of your personal life. Ring a bell? What's the rebuttal to that? What did I do to get that?"

Ava rolled her eyes, sitting back in her seat. Troy, Leann and I said nothing else.

Brandy looked between the four of us, shaking her head. "Next; you don't ever have to be friends again, but what you must come to terms with is the fact that you are all still under a contractual obligation with MCA, and until it is fulfilled, you won't be able to part ways completely. You can either talk your bullshit out, or we can work out a schedule to get the album recorded at separate times and find some way to come together and tour to promote it so that you can recoup all costs, including all original costs before the project was put on hold." She lowered her voice. "However, you know as well as I do that if there is no chemistry on the first single that is released after a, nearly, two-year hiatus... you'll flop, and you'll owe when the entire project flops, and undoubtedly, you'll be sued. Leann, as it stands, while some rappers are choosing to work with you... you've got nothing else to fall back on. Nate Dogg is the only artist I know that can get by on collaborations alone, and Sweetie, you are no Nate Dogg."

She chuckled. "I'm better, but thanks for stating that."

Brandy continued, ignoring the slight attitude she was given. "Ava, great job on that Carlos Santana song. I honestly love it. However, outside of Fly Girl, that's your one claim to fame and you're a one-hit wonder before you even get the chance to step out into a positive light following Fly Girl. I'd suggest you take this chance to rebuild trust and support with your audience, as well as your peers. Even after being away from the mess you've caused for so long, there's still a slight blacklisting on you. You don't have many options."

She gently cupped my chin, turned my head so that I could look her in the eyes, ignoring the 'watch how you say what you say' look I was giving. "Torii, you can sit up here and front like singing doesn't matter to you, but we know that's not true. Sure, you make great money as a writer, whether you're ghosting or it's known that you wrote or co-wrote. Those checks keep rolling in for what you write under your real name and your penname. But you love singing, and you shine your best on stage. You could sit at home, moping around when you're not guiding someone else in the studio... or, you can get back into what makes you happy. Fine, don't go solo, don't even do a project with your sister... but don't fuck around and leave behind what made it possible for you to get and cash those writing checks. Don't be dumb and waste your own talent because you want to pretend that you don't love singing. What you gon' do when people stop wanting songs from you, and you've long since lost the fan base that comes with Fly Girl? What, go solo and then cry when you fail because no one takes you seriously as a singer anymore?"

I pushed her hand away from my face, sitting back in my seat. "Maybe, or... I could be relaxing on a beach, or living somewhere in Europe, enjoying my money."

Brandy sighed, shaking her head as she focused on my sister. "And Troy..."

"You can save your little speech, your little... Generic Chauncey-esque tirade. Nothing you say will hurt my feelings or pride enough to make me do anything that I don't want to do. Mr. Bellamy already said it, Fly Girl and whether we continue rests on a decision made by me." We all looked over at Mr. Bellamy and he nodded. "Alright then, here it is." Leaning forward in his seat, Mr. Bellamy held his breath, no doubt praying for the right answer. "No. I no longer want to sing with Fly Girl, as I will be pursuing a solo career with another label. I'll also be seeking another publicist and manager. Thank you all for your time, and good luck in life."

My sister got up and walked out; leaving us all stunned.

Ava sighed heavily, placing her hands over her mouth while Leann dropped her head altogether. I could have sworn that I heard Mr. Bellamy sobbing into his hands, and the other executives sat in their corners shaking their head. Brandy could hardly pick her face up off of the floor, and I could see a bit of hurt and confusion in her face.

About ten minutes passed, filled with complete silence and a little bit of fear before the door opened.

Troy walked in, an evil smile on her face as she leaned against the door frame. "I was just bullshitting."

"Oh my God..." Mr. Bellamy screamed and I fell out laughing.

"Next time, Mr. Bellamy, Mr. Cohen, and Mr. Wyatt... do not place such a huge task or responsibility on one member and one member only. We started off as four, and even if we aren't close with one another, it's not just my group. It's our group. And Brandy; no amount of tough love from you, even though we know you mean well, will fix the damage that's been caused. Also, if this project gets done... and that's a big old IF; focus and pressure about sales and money cannot be placed on it. I don't want to do something and have it feel like a chore. I realized something when I sang alone for the first time. I love it, and I have fun. It's something that I care about deeply, and when it becomes a chore, or I HAVE to do it, I end up hating it. And I end up disliking those around me. I don't want that. So, Mr. Bellamy, IF this gets done, the only thing you can give me, to get me back on board, is that we do this the way we should have been doing our albums from the beginning."

"And how is that?"

"Simply for the love of the music. Not for money, not for accolades, appraisal or approval of the media. None of that matters; it's only there to rip apart the people that can't handle it. If we do it, we do it our way. By our way, I mean we get full control and say over production, track listing, style, image, and everything in between. We also get full writing credit on all songs, we work with who we want, we promote how we want." I smiled and Troy cleared her throat. "Now I'm not gon' lie and pretend that everything is all good in the Fly Girl camp, but if everybody else is willing to work together, I am too. One last album, because I really am going solo afterwards."

We sat silently, waiting for his response. "Anything else, Ms. Mercier, Mrs. Jones, Ms. Comeaux, or Ms. Fuentes?"

Troy nodded. "Yes Sir. Make no announcements of a Fly Girl return until we all decide when the right moment is. That means, with all due respect, keep your mouth shut anytime you come in contact with anyone in the media. Okay, thanks."

He sighed, shaking his head. "I don't know who the hell you think you are, talking to me as if you're my boss. But, I know you girls are worth it."

"Damn right were are. Anyway, I've got a birthday to celebrate, contact me when the proper contracts have been drawn up. Bye."

Watching my sister walk out, Brandy turned to me. "What happened to sweet, little Troy?"

"She grew up, became a little less naïve and a little less trusting. That happens when the people you love most hurt you. But, most importantly, she found her voice. I like when she stands up for herself, means I don't have to worry about her so much." I cleared my throat and stood. "Was good seeing y'all." I gathered my things, making a quick exit before I could be talked into any type of lunch or impromptu therapy session to rehash and talk through old feelings.

Troy -

I grabbed a water bottle from the magazine table and took my pill before heading into the recording booth, shaking my head and laughing at my sister as she did some old dances to the instrumental I had playing.

"Look at you Troy! You didn't tell me you were a beat maker now."

"Haa, I wish. Smooth sample and remake."

"Boooo!"

"How you gon' boo, and you're out there tootsee rollin'?"

As soon as that left my mouth, I began to regret my choice in words. Leann looked up from her notebook and burst out singing. "The Butterfly? Uh-uh, that's old! Let me see that tootsee roll! T-t-tootsee roooooll!"

"Ughhh, I hate that song!"

"But you want us to do a song made for hitting the tootsie roll and butterfly."

"Why can't y'all see my vision? It's clear. Imagine the video; us, dressed just like we did back in '94 or '95, riding around in a low-rider while we sing the song, scoping out our male interests, saying what we would do to them. And then, we could have this dope dance scene where we bring back a few dances, during the chorus matter of fact since it's so simple. It's just a fun song, nothing too heavy or serious. And it's not something that will be expected."

Torii laughed. "For sure not as a comeback single."

"That's why it'll be perfect!"

She threw her hands up and Leann nodded. "We're just following your lead, Troy. We trust you."

I smiled, grabbing the headphones as readjusted the lyric sheet on the stand we had set up. "Which verse am I doing? Second or third?"

Torii looked down at the mock treatment sheet we'd written out. We didn't really need one, just wrote things out as we went along to make it seem as if we had a legit plan and idea behind the album concept.

"Second, even though you could just go ahead and take mine too while you're at it."

"Nope, we're all shining on this one. Though I wish Leann would do more than talk in the background."

She looked up and smiled. "Aye, I'm doing the chorus, that's enough for me."

Just as she looked back down at her notebook, Ava walked in with two handfuls of bags. "Alright, so... I get to the corner store, right." We all looked at her. "And, as soon as I walk in, this little girl walks up to me. Her little brother follows right behind. I think nothing of it; you know, kids are still cute. I get a little sad when I see kids sometimes, but they're still cute." Ava cleared her throat as she sat the bags on the magazine table. "I smile, they say hello, and out of nowhere, the little boy kicks me." I gasped, literally stifling a laugh. "So, I'm thinking she's about to tell him something when she turns to him. No, this little ... devil of a child, turns to him, smiles, then turns back to me, and kicks me harder than he did. Talking about 'no Robbie, THIS is how you kick someone!'" I ducked behind the music stand, stuck between wanting her to see me laugh, and wanting to spare her feelings. "So what do I do? I snatch her bald behind up, drag her to her mama. What's the problem with that, you ask? Oh, nothing aside from her mama being built like the mama from The Rugrats; Phil and Lil's mama."

I fell out, doubling over. "Nooo, not built like Betty DeVille?"

Ava held her hand up. "So, I say, 'Ma'am, I don't mean to be rude, but your children are very disrespectful and disorderly'. I go on to explain what they did. Do you know... she tells me, 'should have moved out of the way'." Mine and Torii's jaws dropped and Leann began mumbling about a bitch catching hands and feet to the neck and back.

"Ava ... now, I say this with complete honesty, with no intention to hurt your feelings... this time." Torii laughed. "But you have a short, but strong history of doing dumb things. What did you do?"

"What do you mean, what did I do? I told her off!"

Leann shook her head, speaking, but she never looked up from her notebook. "And you made it out alive? I mean, if we're talking about her build and body shape compared to yours... Phil and Lil' mama was built like a female version of Debo, and well... you're built like Red, and if you tried to fight her, right now you should be knocked the fuck out."

"And somehow I feel that if I had been knocked out, none of you would feel bad."

Torii, Leann and I all looked at one another before nodding and speaking in agreement. "We wouldn't."

Ava sighed. "Alright, I deserve that. But sympathize with me for a moment. Do you know how hard it was for me to turn the other cheek after this lady and her bald headed ass daughter both called me a bitch?"

I shook my head, trying to find the right words. "Sorry, these pills leave me temporarily devoid of emotion or feeling, including sympathy. I mean, I am laughing, but I laugh at everything anyway." I shrugged and Ava rolled her eyes, obviously irritated.

"I just need one good day this week. Just one."

"Here's a start, you're leading the first single. Well, you're getting the first verse." I walked out of the booth, deciding to let her go first so that I could get a bit of my energy back before I recorded my own.

Sleeping in for most of the next morning and afternoon, I sighed and pulled the cover over my head when I heard the house phone ringing. That phone, it was the only thing that made me hate whenever Marliss came home from touring out of state or out of the country. Once he returned, without him even having to tell anyone, it was like people just knew and instantly his phone would be ringing off the hook, all day and damn near all night.

"You're really not going to answer the phone?"

With my face buried in the pillow, I spoke up as loudly as I could. "This isn't my house... yet, so no."

He sighed just as I peeked from under the cover, sitting directly in front of me as he picked the receiver up and answered. "Hi, this is Tariq Knight speaking." He sat quietly for a few seconds before a huge smile etched itself across his face. "No, that is fantastic news! Great, I'll stop by and speak with you on Wednesday. Yeah, thanks. Goodbye." He hung up and sat perfectly still for a full minute without saying anything.

"Well, are you going to tell me who that was?"

"Yeah, as soon as I figure out if it's real or if I'm dreaming."

I pinched his ass, laughing to myself when he jumped up. "I know I'm not dreaming, Troy, damnit. I just can't believe what I've just been told."

"And if I'm lucky, you'll tell me before my fiftieth birthday."

He waved me off, pacing back and forth before he clasped his hands together. "Aye, it's not every day that a strapping young man, with an immense amount of talent, such as myself, gets to work with one of the greatest living legends there is."

"Okay..."

"And it's not every day that he gets to produce not one song, and not two, but an entire album for said legend."

I rolled my eyes, getting a little mad that he wouldn't just come out with it. Especially after the way he acted when I took forever to tell him that Gladys Knight wanted a song from me. "Okay..."

He smiled, flashing his dimples, only this time they were getting on my nerves. "I, me... Tariq... I get to work with Ronald Isley. And Baby, he loved when I redid Voyage To Atlantis. He loved it!" He clasped his hands together and did some ugly dance before finally calming his nerves.

"Ohhhh, that's awesome!"

Marliss sighed before smiling, shaking his head as he sat next to me again. "That was so fake. I forgot you don't care for most of the Isley Brother's catalog."

"As much as you play it, I should love it by now."

"I couldn't even get you to enjoy Stevie Wonder, so I know I have no chance of making you an Isley fan. It's okay though, Baby. I still love you."

"Aww, how nice. But I am happy for you though, I know how important it is for you to work with your idols, and to know that some of them have been coming to you, it makes me so proud of you. I love you."

"Thank you."

I ran my finger up and down his arm for a few seconds before speaking, barely above a whisper. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Mmhm."

"Do you think it was smart of me to say yes."

"To what? Fly Girl?" I nodded and he looked directly at me. "As long as you're in a good place, and happy, and enjoying yourself... yeah, I think it was an okay choice to make. The situation is going to be whatever you make it, so if you go in looking for drama, that's what going to come. But, go in ready to work, ready to have fun and enjoy the moment that you share with your sister and the girls, then this final go 'round should be a good one. I want you to promise me something though."

"What?"

"This time; if it gets to be too much, stress wise, to the point where it could take a toll on your body physically, I want you to step away. I don't care what contracts are broken, what needs to be paid off; I will take care of whatever happens afterwards. But promise me that you'll step away if this second chance goes wrong. No excuses, I want you to walk away."

"Why would you ask me to do something you know I'm going to struggle with?"

"Troy, please don't joke or be stubborn about this. I'm serious. Now promise me."

I sighed, nodding my head before he leaned down and kissed me. "Alright, I promise."

"Thank you. And best of luck on this next step."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 473 40
Jamie is just an ordinary girl, stumbling through life with her best friend Amy by her side. Nick, TJ, Stu and Reece are from a well known band, Dea...
818K 16.4K 73
{𝘉𝘖𝘖𝘒 𝘛𝘞𝘖 𝘖𝘍 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘓𝘖𝘝𝘌𝘓𝘌𝘚𝘚 𝘛𝘙𝘐𝘓𝘖𝘎𝘠} The perfect picture of elegance. It's all Violet Amory's known - the foundation of the...
29.5K 573 17
High School Love follows 4 teenage friends as they go through the trials and tribulations of love. But when lies, jealousy, and betrayal happen how m...