To Live Is To Fight (#2)

By justanothergirl1314

Second book of 'The Nerd Can Fight' Series *You'll need to read the first book to understand this one* After... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue
Prequel - Bryant's Story

Chapter 8

14.3K 669 99
By justanothergirl1314

"Nan, I'm off!" I hollered and she came out of the kitchen in lightning speed with a pout on her face. She was holding a cloth, wiping cream off her hand.

"Already?" I nodded and walked up to her with my backpack slung over one shoulder.

"I'm sorry but I only have two weeks to train and I don't think it's going to be enough so every second counts. Thank you for letting me spend the night." I kissed her cheek and gave her a hug.

"Not even for cookies?" I hesitated but shook my head. The cunning woman knew that was my weakness. Dammit.

"Alright, you be careful then. You're taking the bike right?" I nodded once more before hugging her and opening the door.

"See you for Thanksgiving Nan!" I shouted over my shoulder and shut the door behind me. I jogged to the small garage beside the house and got out a bike that I used to ride on whenever I visited. My feet barely touched the floor the last time I was on it so it fit my height perfectly now.

I slung the other strap of my bag onto my left shoulder and got on the bike, pulling out onto the small path leading up towards where the trees gathered.

The house I was looking for was on the foot of a hill nearby but even then it was supposedly surrounded by trees. Bryant would take me there sometimes when we visited grandma. He showed me how he tracked his way to and fro the house and although the last time we went here was three years ago, I could vaguely remember his directions.

Finally, after an hour of searching and cycling around the area, I got to a familiar crossroad that had a small rectangular wooden stick protruding out of the soil right in the middle of it. There was a blue arrow that was drawn on it. I knew I was close then, all I need to do was simply track my way on the opposite direction of the arrow.

My brother's ex-teacher wasn't stupid. He knew how to manipulate things to stay safely hidden in these woods. He was a master at teaching what he teaches and God knows how many people might be after him for that. At least that was what Bryant told me.

I brought up my foot to the pedal and started cycling to my right where the track sloped up a bit for a while before it started sloping downwards. In the distance, I could see a small cabin in the middle of the meadow. It was surrounded by tall trees, the leaves acted as a canopy that sheltered parts of the ground from the glare of the sun.

I carefully made my way down to where the cabin was. Once I got to a big tree, I kicked the stand on the bike and got off it. I walked up to the cabin's door, about to knock before a voice came from behind me.

"Stop right there!" The voice shouted from the small distance. It was raspy but firm as ever. The sound of it halted my next steps and I placed my foot back down to where it was. "Why are you here? What do you seek?" He said aloud.

I turned around slowly, hands on either side of my head. An old man that seem to be in his late 50's stood before me with a bucket that seemed to be full of water in his hand. There must be a river or lake nearby for him to get that water from.

He was wearing a grey, worn and frayed shirt along with a pair of trousers. He had a beard that reached just above his collar and greying hair that was tied into a bun. He was drenched in sweat and his muscles in his arms bulged and his veins were visible.

He shifted his footing, not putting the bucket down just yet. He was a master in the martial arts, anything was a weapon to him and I'm pretty sure if it ever came to it, he wouldn't hesitate to throw that bucket and its contents to an enemy's head.

"I'm searching for you, shi fu. Ni ji de wo ma (do you remember me)?"

He scrunched up his face and scrutinized me for a moment. "Cassandra Johnson. It's been a long time, qin ai de Xiao Fu!" He settled the bucket of water on the ground and walked towards me. He laid his hands on both of my shoulders.

Up close, I could see the sheen of sweat covering his forehead and the sweat stains on his shirt. I could see how he has aged by the wrinkles that were more obvious than the last time I saw him.

I smiled at the nickname he used. Xiao is a term of endearment in Chinese that also means small, usually used to call someone who is young and Fu means blessing or good fortune. When I was younger and visited him with Bryant, he looked into my eyes and told me that I was going to receive a lot of good fortune in the future and that I was going to be a blessing to the people around me and who needs my help.

"I'm truly sorry for what happened to your brother. He was an excellent student, fast learner and one of the best that I have ever taught."

I looked away when he started talking about Bryant and tried to steel my heart before my feelings carry me away. I will not let myself cry in front of shi fu and look weak. He might refuse to teach me if I started looking vulnerable.

"That's what I came here to talk to you about. I want you to teach me." He looked bewildered at my demand. I nodded at his widened eyes. "You heard me right. I need you to teach me like how you taught my brother. I need to be better or I might die."

Shi fu gave me a worried look. "Xiao hai zi, are you in trouble? What I taught your brother was to never fight unless you are cornered and only unless you have no other way out. If you still can run, you run and don't look back."

I shook my head. "I'm grateful for your concern and advice, shi fu but what I need is for you to teach me. I cannot run because it is not just my life at stake. The people I love may get hurt if I do not get better in fighting. I don't have much time left, shi fu. I need your help."

He took my hands in his and gripped it. "Are you sure you want to do this? You know that this training will not be lenient to you." I hardened my gaze, trying to get through to him that I am willing to sacrifice my time and health and that I'm not backing down against his talk.

"You cannot sharpen a knife just by wiping it with a cloth gently." I saw him smile and I knew instantly that I've already gotten him to agree.

"How many days do you have?" He asked me, already taking his bucket full of water into his hands and walking towards the cabin.

"Not long. I only have two weeks before I have to go back to start my study in the university." I sighed tiredly, knowing what I was asking was stupid. 14 days couldn't possibly enough. It was suicide to my own body and a waste of time to shi fu.

"I know I'm asking for a lot and mostly impossible but I don't have a choice, shi fu." I was ready to beg if I had to but he took my elbow and led me into the small sheltered area where everything was clean and tidy. The floor was made of wood and the whole interior was unique. Almost everything was made of wood.

The cabin was small and everything barely fit inside. There was some kind of swing bed and a wooden rocking chair along with a small coffee table. There were a couple of windows that were open and the sun rays passed through easily.

"Sit, make yourself comfortable." Not knowing where I should sit, I opted for the chair. I yelped when it suddenly rocked. After a few seconds wrestling the chair, I finally sat on it and paid attention to Mr. Huang who had this humorous look on his face that hinted his laughter inside. I cleared my throat and tried to ignore the flush of my cheeks.

"So Xiao Fu, why are you here?" All amusement and humor gone, I focused on arranging the chronological order of the whole thing. After I got it all sorted out, I told Mr. Huang everything. His eyes visibly hardened when I mentioned street fighting and I repressed the urge to wince in shame.

"Will you help me? I don't know who else to go to. If I don't win, everyone I love and care about will be hurt because of my foolishness. Bryant's death is enough to last me a life time. Please help me," Mr. Huang sighed and nodded.

"If you are hell bent on this decision then I will help you. But remember, you must be patient and do not rush things. I know you feel like your time is not enough to help you improve but trust yourself, believe in your own strength and have faith." I nodded mindlessly, whatever to start training immediately.

He rose from the swinging bed and walked towards a small cabinet. He took out an empty bottle. The cap was still on and it was in perfect condition. He came up to me and handed me the bottle, telling me to crush it using my bare hands. Perplexed, I did as I was told. I knew nothing would happen. Unlike some people, I actually did my Physics assignments.

"I see Bryant hasn't told you about this one," Mr. Huang spoke up. Clearly, this is a joke. What could he possibly tell me about this bottle filled air; the answers to the physics questions relating to this case?

"This bottle is you and the air inside is your faith. Open the bottle and you'll be able to crush the bottle because nothing is sealing the air in; just like yourself. Seal that leak. Believe in yourself or you'll easily be crushed by the pressures in this world. Always have some faith, Xiao Fu. That is the first and foremost, important lesson."

I stared, dumbfounded. Did he just teach me a moral lesson something from an empty bottle?

"We start in an hour. You can settle your belongings in a corner and I'll make up your spot for tonight." I could only remember nodding numbly. Here goes everything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25K 468 97
I swipe away a piece of hair falling in front of her face. I watch as she sleeps softly. She is all that matters to me now. She is every beat. ...
867K 25.5K 26
"I own you, Cassia. Your body, your heart, your soul- they belong to me. Don't ever try to deny me something that's mine because I can promise you th...
24.8K 751 20
This is really really bad. It was my very first book. It's full of many typos, inconsistencies, and honestly it's just bad. BUT! If you still want to...
72 1 45
This is my very, very first novel I have ever made. It is 307 pages, and 39 chapters-- 45 in all including prologues+epilogue. Book 2 will come out s...