Doctor's Orders

By JenYarrington

Highest Rank: #3 in Fanfiction! :D Ellie is a bright and bubbly, yet dedicated new nurse in the Emergency Dep... More

General Introduction
Important: Convictions and Realism
Trailer!
1. Intake
2. Onset
3. Medical Error
4. Improvement
5. Palpitations
6. Multiple Personalities
7. Brain Waves
8. Abnormal Behavior
9. Unexpected
10. Previous Conditions
11. Time of Death
12. Elixirs
13. Intoxication
14. Progress
15. Social Drinker
16. Fresh Air and Exercise
17. Confusion
18. Diagnostics
19. Confidential
20. Succumbing
21. Ballroom
22. Trauma
23. Changing Conditions
24. Anxiety
25. Terminal
26. Unresponsive
27. Heart Attack
28. Acute Pain
29. The Recovery Period
30. The Best Medicine
31. Residual Pain
32. Band-aids on Bullet Wounds
33. Stitches, Part 1
34. Stitches, Part 2
35. Flatline
36. Resuscitation
37. Spasms
38. Relapse
38. Relapse, Extended Scene
39. Daily Regimen
40. Parental Consent
41. Side Effects
42. Birthdate
43. Healthy Choices
44. Therapeutic
45. Nagging Headache
46. Unspecified Pain
47. Standard Procedures
48. TLC Part 1
48. TLC, Part 1, Extended Scene
49. TLC Part 2
50. Christmas
52. Abdominal Pains
53. Hypothermia
54. Treatment, Part 1
55. Treatment, Part 2
56. Treatment, Part 3
57. Relapse 2
58. Self Care
59. ICU
60. Surgical Procedures
61. Rehabilitation
62. Problem Patient
63. Healing
64. Reflections
65. I Do
65.5: Wedding Night, Extended Chapter
One Year Later
Two Years Later
Three Years Later
Four Years Later
Five Years Later
Special Needs
I need your help! :)

51. And The New Year

36.4K 1.1K 369
By JenYarrington

After Christmas, Harry met with Dr. Martin and Dr. Durand. He was thrilled to learn that Dr. Martin would indeed give him credit for the entire proposal. When he told me after work, I jumped and squealed, saying, "See? I knew it! I knew he would listen to you." 

"And you know what the best part was?" He asked gleefully. "He confronted her right there, in that meeting. So I got to see her reaction!" He went on to describe how at first, she denied any such thing, saying she came up with the idea all on her own, which Martin didn't believe for a second. Then she just shut her mouth tight and refused to speak for the rest of the meeting. "When we left, she said, 'I hope you're happy with yourself' in a bitchy tone of voice. So I answered, 'Why yes, I'm actually quite proud of my hard work, thank you.' You should have seen the look on her face." 

"I bet!" I giggled. "What a piece of work. I'm proud of you." 

"I don't know if I would have gone back to discuss it with Dr. Martin if it hadn't been for you," he admitted, revisiting the question I'd asked him before.

"It doesn't matter," I said. "You stood up for yourself and you were rewarded for your hard work." 

His loving kiss was all the thanks I needed. 

My parents were arriving on the evening of December 30, planning to ring in the New Year with us and our friends. I was excited for everyone to meet them and Chloe. Earlier in the day, Harry and I went shopping for the New Year's Eve party. He asked what Chloe liked to eat, and everything I mentioned made its way into the cart. We bought a ton of food for hors d'oeuvres as well as prime rib for New Year's Day, which Harry insisted he would roast, no matter how tired he was. The hard part was deciding on drinks. I didn't want him to be tempted, but he insisted that he couldn't throw a party without alcohol. With a little nudging, he let me pick out most of the liquor. 

"I'll stay by your side the whole night and we'll drink Sprite together, okay?" I grinned. 

"You don't have to, Ell. I would expect you to drink champagne at midnight."

"Nope, I picked up a bottle of sparkling cider just for you and me. We won't even notice the difference because we'll be so busy with our New Year's Eve kiss," I teased, and then he stole a kiss from me right there in the liquor aisle. 

We passed a section of kids' videos and Harry went a little crazy, buying anything he thought Chloe would like, and then he picked out a stuffed unicorn near the check out lane. I looked at him with curiosity and he said, "What? I want her to have something to snuggle with at night." 

"Seems like you're ready to be a daddy," I said with a wink. 

A silly grin crossed his face. "Yeah, I guess. Maybe it's something about getting older, but I'm ready to start my own family...our family," he said, leaning in to kiss me. The thought thrilled me to my bones.

My parents arrived that evening with hugs and kisses. I was excited to show them my apartment, even though I hardly spent any time there. I got my family settled into my place and Chloe was tickled at the purple and pink stuffed unicorn that Harry had laid on the guest bed for her. 

"I bought her for you so you don't get lonely at night," Harry said softly.

"Thank you, Harry!" She squealed and hugged his legs. 

Then we went up to Harry's place for spiced cider and gifts. 

When Harry pulled out seven gifts, just for Chloe, I gave him a questioning glance, and he looked like a child who had just gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I couldn't complain, he certainly could do whatever he wanted to do with his money, and it was kind of adorable to see him doting on my baby sister. The rest of us exchanged presents and then we decided to turn in early since the following day would be a long one. I walked my parents to the door and gave my mom a good-night hug. When I went to hug my dad, he asked, "Aren't you coming down, too?" 

I glanced at Harry, who was biting his lip nervously, and then back at my father. "Um, no dad, I'm staying here." 

The look on my dad's face was something I couldn't quite process, but he kind of walked into it, asking me in front of everyone. It was amazingly awkward because I just knew where his thoughts went after that, and no father wants to think of his little girl in a sexual relationship.

As soon as the door was locked behind them, I turned to Harry and said, "We don't have to wait too long."

Harry looked back at me, his face a little pale. "I don't think I ever want to have sex again after the way your dad looked at me," he said with a grimace. We both burst out laughing, and I agreed it was pretty uncomfortable.

"I meant we don't have to wait too long to get married and start a family. I know you said we could revisit the issue after the ER project was well underway, but I just wanted you to know that there's nothing holding me back anymore. I want to be with you. Forever."

I could see by the smile on his face that he was touched. "I'm glad," he said, kissing the tip of my nose. "Because I want babies, lots of them." 

"Hold on," I giggled. "I might not be quite ready for that just yet." 

The following night was the New Years Eve party at Harry's place. I felt like I was playing house in Harry's magnificent apartment, playing the hostess to all of our friends; and of course, Harry made a charming host. 

Both Meg and Aaliyah were able to drive down for the night, so I was thrilled to see them. We had also invited a number of friends from work, plus his parents and my family, of course. Bridget and Ian came hand in hand, along with Kane and Darius. Honestly, I still hadn't met Kane's boyfriend, but I'd heard through the grapevine that they might have broken up. I hoped Darius was his new SO because they got along so well.

When I had first met Harry, I would have assumed a New Years Eve party at his place would be similar to the cocktail party we had attended. I pictured women in evening gowns and the men in tuxedos, listening to boring classical music. But, now that I knew Harry so well, I realized it wouldn't really be like that. Harry could definitely play the part of a rich, sophisticated, snooty doctor, but tonight he was very laid back, wearing those sexy black skinny jeans with a plain white t-shirt and a blazer. He had set some board games at the dining room table; he turned on the wii and moved furniture back so people could play, and we both planned some silly party games. 

His parents arrived, his father toting a bag full of liquor. He went to the bar area, where the drinks were situated and pulled out the bottles. He turned to Harry and asked, "What'll it be, son?" 

"None, thanks just the same," he said politely. 

"Come on, Harry. It's New Years Eve. Have a drink with your old man," his dad insisted. 

"Dad, no really. I have a Sprite and I'm happy with that." 

His dad looked mystified, but he didn't push it any further. 

Anne came to greet me with a warm hug and kiss, and then I introduced her to my mom. That's when it hit me that Harry and I were really serious . Our parents were meeting each other for the first time. I was so thankful they seemed comfortable with each other. 

Chloe was a hit with all my friends, talking to them in her precocious way, telling silly jokes,  including the ones Harry had taught her. When he heard her repeating one, he rushed over and pulled her onto his lap. Together, they started a joke fest that went on for at least an hour. 

I had some time to chat with my mom while my dad got to know Harry's dad a little. I asked Mom about Aunt Jean and how she'd been doing since Thomas' death. 

"She's all right. She spent Christmas with us. She had time to prepare herself, but there's nothing like facing the fact that he's really gone." 

"I know," I said, blinking the tears away. "Oh, look," I said, showing her the bracelet Harry had given me for my birthday. I turned it over so she could read the Scripture. "He had this verse engraved so it would remind me of Thomas."

"Oh, honey, that's beautiful. And that's quite the bracelet," she remarked, ogling the diamonds. "Are you two pretty serious?"

"Yeah," I nodded, letting a content smile cross my face. "We've been talking about marriage already. I know it hasn't been long, but I just know he's the one, you know?" 

She nodded in agreement. "It doesn't always take a long time to figure that out. Just as long as you're both sure of what you want." 

"I am," I replied. "I know he's itching to get married soon-ish because he's a lot older than me." 

"Really?" She asked. "Oh, I think you mentioned that. How much older exactly?" 

"Ten years." 

"Well, I think you two make a lovely couple. And I'm ready for grandchildren."

I laughed and said, "You sound like Harry. He loves kids, obviously. Look at how he's spoiling Chloe. Those two have been joined at the hip all night."

"He's a good man, Ellie. I'm happy for you." 

"What does Dad think? I haven't had much time to talk to him. I mean, he embarrassed the hell out of me last night, when I had to tell him I was staying up here with Harry. He probably figured out that I don't sleep in a separate room," I said with a sheepish look on my face.

"You don't!?" She asked, feigning shock. But then she added, "You're an adult, honey. He understands." 

Harry and Chloe finished their joke-a-thon, so Harry stood up and turned off the wii. Then, he choose a Big Band track on the stereo. 

He threw me off guard by saying, "Who wants to learn some ballroom dancing? Ellie and I will demonstrate some of the basic steps."

"Hold on," I yelled playfully from across the room. "I didn't sign up for this." 

"Oh, come on," he said. "You're a natural." His demeanor threw me off guard, so relaxed and almost giddy. I could never have imagined this side of Dr. Harry Styles when I first met him.

"Oh, fine," I said, knowing I was going to do it all along anyway.

We did as he said and started with a few basic steps, and everyone caught on pretty easily. We had a blast, Harry swinging me and dipping me, planting dramatic kisses on my lips. I wasn't sure at first if others would want to join in, but most everyone did. After several songs with me, Harry took Chloe in his arms and started dancing with her, swinging her around like a rag doll while she laughed maniacally.

A few minutes before midnight, I poured the champagne, along with mine and Harry's glasses of sparkling cider. Everyone had a glass just in time for the final countdown. When we reached zero, Harry set his glass down, took my face in his hands and kissed me like no other kiss. Everything around us faded out, all the shouts of "Happy New Year" and the music of Auld Lang Syne, as every single one of my senses was consumed by Harry's kiss. Before I knew it, everyone was catcalling and yelling, "Happy New Year, you lovebirds!" And some were teasing, "Get a room!" 

I pulled away laughing, now becoming a bit bashful about the fact that we locked lips for so long in front of everyone. Harry held his hand out to shush everyone, and then raised his glass. "I'd like to make a toast to friendship and family, love and laughter, and most of all to my beautiful Ellie." He turned to look at me and said, "I finally found my best friend, my other half, my soul mate. I love you so much, baby." 

"Hear, hear," we all murmured and clinked our glasses before drinking our champagne and cider. 

"That was so sweet, Harry," I told him quietly. "I agree - I'm so glad we found each other."    

My heart swelled during our holidays together. I never thought I could be as happy as I was with Harry, and now everything seemed to be falling into place for our life, our careers, and his big project.

* * * * *

A few sweet and happy chappies, but you don't want to keep reading sweet and happy, do you? I guess you'll find out soon what's in store for Harry and Ellie.

I love to read all your comments, but I'm getting overwhelmed with the number of them, so I'm sorry if I don't get a chance to respond. Just know that I'm always grateful for your faithful readership! <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

845K 19.4K 97
*MATURE CONTENT* Harry Styles is currently the most well-known celebrity in the music industry, just finishing his first solo tour in 2018, trying to...
17.1K 402 12
Heather Martin becomes a pediatric nurse after her husband died in a military bombing. Since then she's had a hard time adjusting to the dating life...
Sinner H.S By ash

Fanfiction

16.4K 285 56
Valentine Fitz, an average girl who owns an art studio where she sells all kinds of artwork. Something not many people know about her is her passion...
207K 4.7K 58
Highest ranking - #1 in #harrystyles,#harrystylesau and #psychiatrist "You saved my life doctor...thank you so much" she smiled. "No, that's what yo...