In Secret (Sequel to Behind t...

By GajeelsPocketWoman

Dedicated to my buddy, Shaima, for inspiring me to stop thinking about this and actually do it! Thanks, girlf... More

Beginning Lessons
Encounter
Screws-for-brains
Laughter
Move
Morning
Questions
A Secret Revealed
Innocence
Resolve
Training
Assessment
Fire It Up
Musings
Friends
Testing Shadows
All's Fair
Sparks and Flames
Learning Experience
Jobs and Tasks
Teamwork
Freedom
Ryos
Liberation
Freefalling
Homecoming
Welcome Home
Plans
"Papa's Roof!"
PAUSED FOR NOW SORRY
First Experiences
Dragons at a Carnival
Just A Glance
After the Party
Important Note
Conflagration
Devastation
Resting Place
Epilogue

End of the Night

444 31 1
By GajeelsPocketWoman

Bleh, this chapter title sucks. >_< Let me know if you have any better ideas.
How's the story going so far? I'd love some feedback!

********************

Levy's P.O.V.

I left the room Gajeel had dragged me into as quickly as I could without running. I found the table full of food scraps, though there was a plate set neatly aside with various things on it. "Miss? We saved some food for you." A sweet little boy with dark blue hair was tugging on my shirt. I looked down and smiled at him. "Thank you James." These kids may have been taught to fear kindness, but I was going to reeducate them. Goodness shouldn't be so tainted in ones so young.

I grabbed my plate and ate quickly. It was really kind of late, and I'd promised the kids another story before I left. They had definitely earned it. As I stuffed food into my mouth, not worrying about manners any more than the kids did, I thought about which one to read this time. I finally settled on the one where the young maid is treated like a slave by her family, then rescued by a fairy godmother. It struck me as something the kids might connect with. I mean, I do belong to Fairy Tail.

"James, would you mind bringing me the story book?" He was sitting nearest to it, and leapt up in excitement at my request. I set my plate back on the table and took the large tome from the boy. "Alright. I'll read one more story before I go. You all did so well today, you've definitely earned it." I looked around the room before launching into my story. When did Gajeel come back in?

********************
Gajeel's P.O.V.

I walked back into the main room only moments after Levy, but she didn't seem to notice. I almost missed her, actually, thinking she'd decided to run out instead of eating. She's about the same height as half the kids, and she was eating just like them, shoveling everything in like someone was going to snatch it. I almost laughed, but I didn't want to bring about her wrath.

I'd eaten while collecting food, and told Ryos not to save me any, so I just found a stack of boxes to perch on and survey the room. I think the day went well, but I'd have to ask Shrimp's opinion to know how the kids did. She seemed pretty comfortable with them.

She settled into her chair once she was done inhaling her food, and asked one of the kids to bring her the storybook. I saw her eyes skim over me as she prepared to read one last story. I found myself almost as excited as I could tell the kids were. Her voice had magic properties when she was reading. Not like an actual spell, but it felt like it. You were transported into the story, making you feel like you were there, and felt completely at home, safely listening.

I closed my eyes again to better focus on her voice as she began telling a story of a girl who was abused by the family that was supposed to protect her after her father's death. I actually knew this story, and that it would strike a chord with some of my brats. This one's a good choice.

When she'd finished her story, we left the children to their devices and headed towards the guild. Neither one of us said anything for the first few blocks. I was surprised at how reluctant I was to break the companionable silence. I was also very aware of the small woman walking next to me. She was happy, almost bouncing as she walked.

"Well Shrimp," I finally said, "how'd they do?" She lost some of her bounce as she thought back over the day. "Most of them did really well. I think they've all had a little bit of education at some point. There were a few who didn't actively participate, but that's okay. Different people learn differently. Even the little ones." She looked at me slyly, and I realized she'd made fun of herself with that statement too.

"Gihi, yeah Shrimp. We all learn differently." There was silence again for a little bit longer.

"Thanks for doin' this---"
"So do you want to explain---" she laughed as we started talking over each other. I gestured for her to ask her question first. "You're welcome, of course! But do you want to explain what exactly that was?" When had she started trusting me so much? She did all of this, gave up her almost entire day, and she didn't even know why.

"Well, it started as a job. The bastards st- uh, saved jewel to hire a mentor so they could learn magic to protect themselves. I agreed to do it." I didn't want her turning them in for theft. Or thinking less of them.

"They saved. By stealing it from others." There wasn't really a question in her voice, but I answered it with a slow nod anyway. She stopped walking and rocked from her heels to her toes, swinging her arms a little. It was adorable. I snapped my wandering eyes to her face, but she hadn't noticed. "Do you mind telling me why you don't want anyone to know about this?"

I just stared at her for a minute, surprised at her acceptance of their delinquency. "I-I don't trust easily." I started slowly. Her head cocked sideways a little as she listened, kind of doglike. "I don't want someone to take them away from each other. They need the family community that they've built for themselves. It's all they have left, really." I stopped, realizing I was babbling, and saw a weird look on her face. Is that... Pity? I turned and kept waking. She'd be fine on her own, we were out of the bad neighborhoods by now. I heard her stepping quickly to catch up with me, but she didn't say anything else.

As we finally neared the guildhall, noise pouring from inside, she paused again. "Gajeel, wait." I turned towards her, but didn't really look at her. I didn't like this unsettled feeling she gave me. "What do you want me to tell people if they asked where I've been?" Again, surprise hit me like a battering ram, and I couldn't think. "I dunno, Shorty. Whatever ya gotta to keep them from asking questions. Remember yer word not to say nothin'."

"Anything, Gajeel. I gave my word not to say anything. And I won't. I'll, umm, hmm. I'll just tell people I was reading, if they ask." She furrowed her brow in thought, then nodded. "Yeah. I was reading today. That's pretty normal for me. Plus it's the truth." She suddenly smiled, a blindingly bright thing, and said, "See ya!" As she walked into the guild. I made to grab her, a part of me desperately wanting to see that smile again. Then I realized where we were and stopped myself. I leaned against the building instead, crossing my arms over my chest and watched her from the shadows as her hips swayed. She threw herself against the doors and they flung open, releasing a cacophony of noise.

********************
Levy's P.O.V.

The look in his eyes was so vulnerable. He was like this. Before his dragon found him. He was wandering with no family. And probably after Metalicana disappeared, too. My sadness for him must have shown in my face, because he seemed to get irritated and walked away again. I had to run to catch up. Finally, I couldn't keep my jogged pace anymore, and I realized we were almost back to Fairy Tail. "Gajeel, wait." I called. He stopped, but wouldn't look at me. I took a moment to catch my breath, and then asked, "What do you want me to tell people if they asked where I've been?" He looked at me then, like I'd just struck him. "I dunno, Shorty. Whatever ya gotta to keep them from asking questions. Remember yer word not to say nothin'."

I couldn't resist correcting him. Not this time. "Anything, Gajeel. I gave my word not to say anything. And I won't. I'll, umm, hmm. I'll just tell people I was reading, if they ask." I thought, then nodded. "Yeah. I was reading today. That's pretty normal for me. Plus it's the truth." I smiled and added, "See ya!" And then I turned and walked into the guild.

The usual chaos was running rampant through the hall, so I skirted around the edge of the room. "Lu-chan!" I called to my blonde friend. "Levy-chan!" She yelled back, turning from the fight she'd been watching. Natsu and Gray were yelling insults at each other every time one of them struck the other. I laughed as I came up to Lucy. "What set them off this time?"

"I don't even know. Does there even need to be a reason for those two? Hey, where've you been all day? Jet and Droy were sulking. They thought you decided to do a job without them, even though Mira said you hadn't." I sat at the table next to her, both of us turning back to the fight. It was always a good idea to keep an eye on them, or you might get hit by flying debris.

"I was out reading. I can't believe I forgot to tell my team I wasn't going anywhere! They really should know me by now though... There aren't a lot of jobs someone like me could do alone." I looked down at my hands as I blushed. I wasn't lying, not really. I'd done a lot of reading today. And I'm not really strong enough to do jobs on my own. Wait, little Sam said Gajeel's going to train them... Maybe I could get him to train me too? I could tell the kids that was how they're paying me, by letting me learn to be strong too!

I looked up as the doors to the hall banged open again, Gajeel thudding inside. I almost leapt up to go ask him right away about training me, but remembered at the last minute that most people thought I was still afraid of him. They didn't understand that I had forgiven him. I'm pretty sure Lu-chan had too. We were the ones he hurt most directly, so if we could forgive him and move on, why couldn't the others? They didn't know about this softer side of him I'd seen today, either. That's really sad, actually. He's not as bad as everyone thinks. There were a lot of glares leveled at the big lug as he walked through the hall. Even after everything he did during the Festival, a lot of our guild mates didn't trust him yet.

I realized I was staring, and pulled my gaze back to Lucy. She was watching me, worry on her face. I smiled at her and asked, "So Lu, what did you do today?" Her face brightened as she started telling me about a job she, Happy, and Natsu had gone on. Those three got into more trouble than anyone else in the guild. I laughed when she started whining about her rent money again. Oh yeah, I'd better pay mine too!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.4K 1.5K 23
Fairy tail love story, Gajeel Redfox and Levy Mcgarden :) I do not own Fairy Tail, Hiro Mashima Does!
68.8K 2.4K 20
Levy is a princess of the kingdom of Magnolia, with her two sisters, Erza and Wendy. Gajeel is a servant of the royal family, who looks after the th...
115K 3.9K 32
As a young solid script mage, Levy McGarden only knew a world full of fear. She has hidden her true self since the day she was born, afraid the human...
88.7K 3K 17
Gajeel and Levy may not have realized it yet, but they treasured each others company. They treasured each others personalities and sense of humor, kn...