To Live Is To Fight (#2)

Da justanothergirl1314

Second book of 'The Nerd Can Fight' Series *You'll need to read the first book to understand this one* After... Altro

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue
Prequel - Bryant's Story

Chapter 5

16.1K 727 95
Da justanothergirl1314

"Next time, I'm driving."

"There will be no next time," I growled out in annoyance. It wasn't my fault Jake was pushing my buttons. He did, after all pop out of nowhere. Not to mention he stupidly decided to bring Monic along.

"Come on, Case. You can't be mad at him, I bribed him to come with me and you can't blame me for being worried. The last time we saw each other was during Carla's funeral. Then there was that incident and you completely pulled away. Is it wrong that I just want to spend some quality time with my cousin?" Monic ranted and I sighed, resting my hands limply on the wheel.

"That's not the problem, Mo. This could barely pass as quality time when we are in a street-fighting competition, an illegal one, might I add." She and I both knew that this is far from being a norm quality time between cousins.

God knows how freaked out I was when I found them waiting at my living room and claimed that they were going to be my loyal companions for the night.

I could hear Monic sighing at my theoretical statements, getting tired of the pointless argument since we've arrived anyways and there was no backing out now unless I call them a cab and force them into the vehicle.

Monic's door was the first to open while Jake's was the last. I hurried after Monic, trying to cover her from strangers' eyes that turned to look. I would be lying if I didn't get any stares due to my reputation in the Underground Place but you can't expect me to let them memorize Monic's features and have them sneak into her room and stare at her while she sleeps.

I am not paranoid or a negative thinker, I am just being cautious and worried about my baby cousin. Come one, you're an illegal street fighter with gangs that are hunting you down. Look at me straight in the eye and tell me that you wouldn't do the same to anyone you love.

I thought so.

The place was crowded as usual and since I couldn't leave Monic and Jake until I knew they were in a safe corner, I guided them through the sweaty bodies of people who was cheering and hollering for the fighter that they bet their money on.

I got them set on a dark and almost deserted corner where they'll be hidden from sight and yet watch what's going on up in the ring.

Before I left, I made it sure that Jake gets how dangerous this place is and just how cautious he needs to be to guard Monic from any perverted old dudes.

I gave her hand a slight squeeze before setting off to hunt for Levy, my pay phone in one hand, dialing his number, while my eyes roamed around the mob of people. When I started to give up and decided to go to the backdoor on my own, he jumped me from my backside.

I jolted and instantly braced myself to inflict serious pain to my ambusher before figuring out it was just lil' old Lev.

"Sup, shorty?" I growled under my breath and kept on walking, letting him follow suit.

"Just because you're ridiculously tall, Lev, doesn't mean I'm short. I'm pretty tall for someone my age, you old man." I countered, earning a loud snort from him.

"A 5 year age gap does not make me an old man, shorty." He smiled crookedly.

We finally reached the back door where, as per usual, a bulky big guy was guarding the door with a stone face. We showed our passes and he opened the heavy looking door for us. We slipped in and went to the changing room, and so the warm up routine begins.

"So you're going to fight tonight?" Levy nodded at my question while stretching his legs.

"Right after you win," I smiled at his words; so positive. Comfortable silence engulfed us as we continued stretching until Lev decided that I needed one last reminder on my fight tonight.

"Pix, remember that tonight's fight would be more brutal and less relenting than your previous fights so you really need to give it your all out there." I nodded at his words. How could I forget, the last fight I had during this competition forced me into messing up a man's healing leg which resulted in an angered big brother bear.

I shuddered at the memory, at the vague feeling of the panic I felt that night when the guy would've beaten me to pulp if I hadn't swiped at his leg. That one was a close call and to think that it was just a warm up spiked a worry in me.

It didn't help that Levy, of all people, looked genuinely nervous for me. Levy the Great simply does not do 'nervous'. He either gets cocky or worried; nothing more and nothing less. So to see him actually get nervous for me was setting a loud alarm in my head.

It wasn't every day you see the big great Lev being almost scared for someone else. He doesn't even get scared when it concerns himself. I don't know whether to fear for my life or feel honored.

I zoned in back to see him there staring at me in annoyance.

"Can you please stop spacing out on me? This is bloody serious. I do not have any sick desire of slipping in your funeral into my already-tightly-packed schedule, Pix."

I sighed, managing to simply nod my head to his words. He thinks that I didn't listen to him because I was taking the matter too lightly when it's the complete opposite of the feelings coursing to me.

One single hard look could tell you that I was not okay in re-entering this competition. My only motivation was gone and lack of motivation and decreasing adrenaline can only bring you death in that arena.

I breathed out shakily, trying to not let my lack of courage from shining through the stone mask made for myself.

By the time that I managed to kick my wariness down a notch, a knock on the door brought it back ten times as fast. I groaned loudly and I guess whoever was on the other side took it as a signal to open the door.

"You're next, let's go." The woman said. Her earpiece was lodged into her ear as usual and I sighed, slapping my thighs before standing on both of my knees, pushing aside my worries.

Admitting the feelings to yourself would make it realer than when you deny them so that was what I did.

I chanted a small mantra in my head and it took me some time to actually listen to it and cave into the words.

"You're strong, you can do this. You can do this. You're strong enough."

I nodded to myself. You can do this, Casey.

I pictured Bryant smiling at me, fist pumping the air and cheering me on and that was all it took for me to regain all the confidence I lost.

Plastering a smirk onto my face, I tilted my chin further upwards and walked with more determination in my steps. Levy seemed to notice the difference in me as he grinned at me and patted my back; hard.

Laughter forces its way out of me that surprises us both. I've been so gloomy lately that I couldn't remember when I let a genuine laugh out of my system.

"Let's go, the bitch is back in the house," I announced aloud, winking at Lev who grinned at my antics. Even with our five year of age gap, Lev was like a brother more than anything else.

We walked out of the room and to the stairs where everything gave me a slight sense of déjà vu.

"Good luck, Pix. Watch yourself out there." I nodded at Levy's words and decided not to pay too much attention at the uncertainty tone in his voice.

The more that I think about it, the more focus that I'll lose.

I climbed up the stairs when the man gave me the go and immediately switched to Pixie mode, embracing the erupting cheers and shouts.

I put on a stone mask façade as my opponent appeared before me. He was huge. Levy's scared voice tried to wriggle itself into my head but I immediately shook it off.

No, focus Case. You go this.

I got this.

I readied myself and when the man started charging, my instincts kicked in and I rolled over, dodging with just a millimeter to miss.

He was fast for his built and I certainly didn't expect his moves to be so calculated. Most of the fighters I've faced were sloppy and driven by ego or hunger for blood and money.

I understood now why Levy was so concern. This guy was not someone who should be underestimated.

I turned just in time to catch his punch. I ducked my head and barreled towards him, using my body to send him sprawling. I wasn't going to lose this fight. I need my family to think about.

Unfortunately, the man's built did him good and he was up before I could even compose myself.

That's not good.

His foot rose and he threw a swift but hard kick to my side, causing me to release a sharp cry and my knees buckled.

No, get up.

I forced myself up but before I could even stand, his shin connected with my side once more.

His foot came down on me again but this time, my hand flew and caught his ankle before it could cause any more damage to my body.

I tugged hard at it and twisted it. With a cry of shock, his body landed with a hard thud. I gritted my teeth silently, bearing the pain while I tried to get on both feet.

The man rose from the ground and faced me with a narrowed look. One glance at it and I knew I was in for some deep shit.

His arm shot out and I tried to block it only to have his other fist hit my face.

I staggered backwards but when I saw his leg rise for the second time, I advanced and pressed my side to his body and grabbed his lifted leg, tilting it upwards. He went down once more and this time, I wasn't keen in letting him get off the ground so soon.

He's done enough damage to leave me breathless and although I was conscious that a faint throb was starting to bloom on my side, I knew the adrenaline was part of the reason I was still able to stand straight.

I kicked him on the temple, sending a silent apology towards my opponent and trying not to wince. I was known to be brutal but a kick to that area would hurt like a bitch.

After making sure he wasn't at his best state, I kneeled to his height and choked him with both hands, cutting off his air circulation.

I kept a tight grip and numbed myself when I felt his hand started punching, slapping and clawing at my arms to release his neck.

The bell immediately rung after what seemed like forever and I released my opponent, deciding to just hurry out of there before the guilt I was feeling crack through my façade.

I rushed down the set of steps, met Levy on the way of grabbing my prize and got out of there, gasping desperately for fresh air. The second the cool night air infiltrated my lungs, I halted my steps and leaned on a nearby tree.

Levy helped me on my feet when I started groaning in pain.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay to ride all the way home? I won't mind driving you. We'll pick your motorcycle up first thing tomorrow."

I shook my head, there's no way I'm going to let him drive me. He doesn't belong in my other life. I won't let my two lives mix, including the people in them.

God knows what happens the last time I did that.

Levy just sighs in defeat and he helped me walk away from the back door.

The previous adrenaline was already washed off my system and as predicted, the pain escalated. With nothing to suppress the throb, the pain was kicked up a notch but all I did was clench my jaw to keep the cries in. I'll live.

I'm sure it was just a minor bruise. I've gotten worse hits.

Monic and Jake popped up. Monic noticed my limp and hunched posture and immediately freaked out.

"Oh my God, Ca-" I sent her a sharp look, motioning subtly to the guy before me who was supporting half of my weight and she immediately faltered.

"-can you even walk?" I wanted to facepalm myself so hard then but shook my head, knowing she's trying to cover her slip up.

"Well, we'll take it from here. Thanks for watching out for her." Jake interrupted and I almost hugged him right there and then.

I gave Lev a small wave before the two of them helped me, holding me from each side. I sighed tiredly when they tucked me in the backseat of the car.

Jake slid in the driver's seat and Monic took shotgun.

"Let's just go home," I mumbled tiredly but halfway of pulling out from our parking area, Jake hit the brakes and the movement caused me to stretch my arm out to prevent my body from rolling over but ended up with me groaning in pain as the throb increased.

I heard Monic's gasp and Jake's sharp intake of breath.

"What the hell's up this time?" I muttered in annoyance, forcing my body to sit up.

The sight before me made my breath hitch and all pain on my side forgotten, I straightened up, eyes wide and slack-jawed with astonishment.

The silhouette of the man was faint but the dim light of the street lamp was enough to give away his identity; his brown mob of hair that was highlighted by the light and his dark green orbs.

Adam.

~•~•~

I'm done with finalsssss!!

I failed a few tho .-.

Oh well, can't do nothing bout it now.

Love ya guys ❤ ~

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

24.8K 751 20
This is really really bad. It was my very first book. It's full of many typos, inconsistencies, and honestly it's just bad. BUT! If you still want to...
78.4K 3.2K 24
Cassandra Gray is and always will be a nerd. She's the kind of girl that wears superman tees and reads comic books, and has never missed a superhero...
164K 9K 53
*COMPLETED* This is a sequel of the book 'Hired Bride' but can be a stand alone book. I recommend reading the first one, however, to get a better kno...
761 53 19
Garrett is a class-A nerd. Cassandra is the girl that everyone wants to be around, cool, funny, and nice (unless you get on her bad side), and an awe...