Smother ━━ Killian Jones [Dis...

By Monrox

"In the darkness I will meet my creators and they will all agree, that I'm a suffocator." For the past tw... More

smother.
face claim.
zero; remembering
one; hugging parade
two; torches and flames
three; mad hatter's hat
four; tick tock
five; welcome back
six; like the herb
seven; chamber of hearts
eight; pirate's flirt
nine; gold and coins
ten; mercy
eleven; moonlight's gleaming gaze
twelve; the walking dead
thirteen; sleeping curse
fourteen; thomas part one
sixteen; knee deep in insanity
seventeen; the execution of the queen
eighteen; questionable impressions
nineteen; three hundred and sixty five
twenty; a shot in the heart
twenty one; a monster's redemption
twenty two; stranger danger
twenty three; a chase through new york
twenty four; family ties
twenty five; revenge at its finest
twenty six; on my deathbed
twenty seven; nowhere woman
twenty eight; what the water gave me
twenty nine; out with the old
thirty; a taste of the lash
Important Update + Final Notes

fifteen; thomas part two

7K 227 114
By Monrox

  ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄  

CHAPTER FIFTEEN; THOMAS PART TWO

song for overall chapter: all i want by kodaline.

    "This is a terrible idea." Sage thought to herself as she silently walked through the forest with Thomas by her side. Once Sage agreed to Thomas' offer of a birthday dinner, he had no problem with cutting her down from that animal net and leading her to his family's cottage. Going to stranger's houses for supper wasn't something Sage did very often. But, for once in her life, the girl was taking a risk and letting Thomas guide her way. To have someone stand by your side and wish that you take a leap of faith with them was a foreign feeling to her. Only a few people have seeped their way into Sage's heart and they ended up leaving, one way or the other. 

     Jefferson, her former partner in crime, left years ago to raise his daughter, who unfortunately was left motherless. Still, even today, Sage couldn't shake the love she felt for him away. It was pathetic, in her opinion, to hover over someone who was never coming back. Then again, she spent many years being his best friend and he was her first love. Falling in love with Jefferson hit her like a ton of bricks, smothering her chest in, yet it felt like a breath of light. It was scary for Sage to love someone so truly and deeply that it consumed her heart.

     Despite her strong feelings for the man, Jefferson was fated to fall in love with another. Her name was Percilla and God, was she a beauty. She had breathtakingly golden blonde hair, rosy cheeks, sparkling green eyes, and a heart of gold. When Jeff and Percilla first met, it was love at first site and Sage was doomed to watch it, feeling her heart break at every minute. While jealousy did brew, Sage was always good at hiding it, never letting her emotions tip towards the surface. But, at the same time, she was also bitterly happy for both of them. Jeff was her best friend and Percilla grew to be the sister she's always wanted; watching those two fall in love, get married, and birth a darling baby girl was like watching the world be surrounded by perfect humanity and harmony. It was bittersweet.

     So, Sage hid her love for Jeff in box and locked it away, not wanting to come in between his marriage. Three years after giving birth to Grace, Jeff and Percilla's daughter, all three thieves found themselves knee-deep in debt from old bosses. Just when this debt came about, Percilla became pregnant with a second baby. In order to pay back and get enough money to support the newest member of the family, the three thieves concocted a plan to steal the richest jewel in a land called Camelot. The jewel ended up being Queen Genevieve's crown that was crested with gold and embezzled with diamonds. 

     The night of the Great Camelot Heist, everything went smoothly, until they were caught trying to smuggle the crown from the Queen's chamber. Eventually, the two girls were separated from Jeff and headed up to the stone roof. The two female thieves were surrounded by guards and in one fatal moment, when the thunder rattled the sky and heavy rain harshly poured down, King Arthur's Excalibur pierced Percilla's four month impregnated stomach. Sage remembered that night in horrifyingly vivid detail; Percilla's lifeless body falling to the ground, cold rain soaking Sage's entire body, loud screams making her throat raw. Sage remembered being forced to leave Percilla's body in order to escape. When Sage broke the news to Jeff, he was devastated, wondering how he was going to continue living life without his love, continuing to raise his daughter without a mother. One thing led to another and Jefferson left Wonderland with Grace, abandoning his life of crime to make sure Grace grew up with a father, not as an orphan. While Sage completely understood why Jeff wanted to leave, it didn't make the pain go away.

     "You're awfully quite." Thomas unexpectedly said, bringing Sage out of her thoughts. Sage looked at him, waiting for him to continue, "I would have expected a women of your fierceness to be the life of conversation."

     She scoffed, "Please, I'm rather an introverted person."

     "I highly doubt that." He playfully nudged her, "You know what I think? I think that you're afraid to talk to me."

     Sage rose her brow, "Afraid? To talk to you? Thomas Paine, you're not exactly the most intimidating person ever. I've met far worse."

     "Your afraid to open yourself up, afraid for me to dive into your life." 

     Her smile flatten slightly, "Quite perceptive, aren't you?"

     Thomas shrugged slightly, a grin quirking on the corner of his lips, "Most men aren't so I'll take that as a compliment. My family's cottage is just up ahead, we'll be there soon."

     "Do you have kins? Brothers and sisters?"  Sage questioned, the word family bouncing around in her head like a rubber ball. 

     "Yes. Two sisters, one older and one younger." He said, before glancing back at Sage, "How about you?"

     "No siblings."

     "Parents?"

     Sage became silent, feeling her heart accelerate and beat against her chest. The simple word made ice flow through her veins, all the harsh memories of her parents threading through her brain. It's been a long time since anyone had ever mentioned or asked about her parents and Sage never took the time to think about her parents, understandably. "Uh, left when I was young."

     Thomas didn't ask or pester anymore, already sensing the hidden wounds on her skin. "I won't keep you long during supper. Surely, your husband won't want you to be coming home late."

     An charming, absurd little laugh came from Sage, a wide and free-like smile growing on her lips. She hasn't smiled that wide in a long, long time. A vivid red blush swarmed Thomas' face and cheeks, an embarrassed grin on his face as he awkwardly adjusted the bow and arrow strapped to his back. "What?"

     "I don't have a husband." Sage said, her laugh dying down and a gleam appearing in her eyes.

     They looked at each other, a mix of emotions showing in both pair of eyes. Something linked between them, a spark emitting in their hearts and bodies. She hasn't felt this before; the heat spreading through-out her entire body, electrifying her skin and soul. She remembers what it felt to be in love for the first time and she remember how it felt to let her first love go. But this, what she felt while looking into Thomas' eyes, was something entirely different. It felt like a second chance at something new, something powerful and wild. "Good." Thomas finally uttered, his voice soft and lost.

     Flustered and giggly, Sage cleared her throat and prayed that he wasn't noticing the redness on her face. "Well, is that your cottage?"

     Both of them looked and saw a medium-sized cottage, thatched with straw for the roof and harden with oak wood for the outside walls. It was surrounded by no other houses, but instead, with a lively green field that probably would be bright if it wasn't for the dark sky. Herds of sheep were scattered about, along with a few horses galloping around. 

     "Your a shepherd." Sage breathed out in astonishment, an energetic fire of life feeling her eyes.

     Thomas scratched behind his ear, almost in slight shame. "And huntsman. Look, I know it's not much ―" 

     "I didn't ask for much." She cut him off, "Sometimes the smallest things are the best."

     Thomas watched as Sage made her way towards the cottage and only one thought was in his filling his mind: falling for Sage Chamberlain was going to be the beginning and end of everything.

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖  

     Back in Rumpelstiltskin's cell, everyone was still on a desperate and chaotic search for the ink squid that could potentially get Sage, Mary Margaret, and Emma the hell out of the Enchanted Forest and back home. Both the Savior and the Thief sat side by side on the ground, their legs crossed and their eyes glued to the scroll that had Emma's name printed on hundreds of times. Sage remembers the few times she visited Rumple in this cell and never once did he mention a savior or a dark curse coming to take over the land. Hell, she worked for him for years and yet she knew nothing of his wicked plans. She found it quick atrocity she didn't find it out soon.

     The enchanted compass rested on Sage's knee, her nail gazing the golden ridges around it. Instinctively, Sage's hand reached up and grasped the pocket-watch around her neck, squeezing it gently. Despite it not working as a portal or as telling time correctly, it was a generous gift from Jefferson back when they were in Wonderland. It was a treasure Sage never wanted to give up. Emma let out a huff of disbelief. "What does this even mean?"

     "He was obsessed with you, Emma. You were the key to breaking the curse." Mary Margaret hastily said as he climbed down from a row of rocks and continued searching on the other side of the cave. Going home and back to her husband was her main priority and it scared her half to death to think that David would be stuck in a sleeping curse if they don't return home. 

     "We looked everywhere." Aurora sighed, standing up with a discouraging frown. "There's no ink in this cell."

      Mary Margaret was quick to pipe up, "Well, it has to be. He told David.

     "You were in a Netherworld. Maybe something got lost in translation." Emma said to her mother, still staring down at the scroll that held her fate.

     "No." Mulan suddenly said, "She heard right."

     "You found it!" Mary Margaret exclaimed as her and the three others rushed over to Mulan's side. In the warrior's hands was a small, round shaped jar that looked as if it was once filled with black liquid. She had pulled it from the crevices and gapes of the rocks, a place the others clearly skipped over. 

     Mulan showed it to everyone, speaking in a low voice, "In a manner of speaking, there was ink in the cell."

     "But it's gone." Sage let out a exhale of disappointment, running a hand through her hair as stress sterilized both her brain and courage. Nothing was going right. All they had was the compass, but without a portal, there was no chance of going home. "Son of a bitch."

     Aurora, without hesitation, grabbed a heavy rock and threw it towards the lever. "Aurora, what are you doing?" Sage yelled, as the rock fly and hit the lever back, the cage door slamming shut and locking them in. The thief grabbed the spiky cage bars and tried to shake them, but froze once a familiar voice slithered its way into her ears. "Helping me."

     Sage snapped her head up, her eyes nearly bulging out of her sockets once she stood feet away from the women who took away her true love. The Queen of Hearts, who stood in her usual reign of terror and evil satisfaction, held up a fiery smirk as her eyes connected with Sage's. "Hello Sage." She said smoothly.

      Everything in Sage's body began to drown in fear and replenish in the same hatred Sage felt for this women all those years ago. "Y-Your Cora?" She spoke in disbelief, horror plastered on her face. Cora walked forward and with one swish of her wrist, the compass had evaporated from Emma's hand and into hers. 

     "No!" Emma exclaimed, banging on the cage again.

     "Don't waste your energy, dear. Rumpelstiltskin himself couldn't escape from this cell." Cora then turned her attention away from the savior and onto her old enemy, Sage. She stepped forward once more, making sure she could see all the wretched memories resurfacing in Sage's eyes. "Sage, such a long time its been since we've last seen each other."

     "Not long enough, your majesty." Sage hissed back, narrowing her eyes angrily. "Trust me when I say I haven't missed seeing you."

     Cora ignored the thief's comment and looked over at the petite princess. "Thank you, Aurora. We couldn't have done it without you."

     "Why would you do this?"

     "How could you?"

     "What the hell were you thinking?"

     "Don't blame her." The Queen chuckled, before slipping her hand underneath her cloak and holding up a red, beating heart. "She was only doing what she was told."

     Sage's eyes widened, her voice thick with venom. "You stole her heart. Why am I not surprise?"

     "Actually, I did." Hook's echoing voice made Sage's eyes snap up, not realizing until know that he was leaning against the rock wall. "It was a gift."

      Cora's grip on Aurora's heart tightened, causing yelps of pain to leave the princess's mouth, her body nearly giving out and falling on the floor. "Forgive us. We'd love to stay, but Storybrooke awaits."

     Just when both Hook and Cora were about to turn away and leave, Sage's mouth opened, before her brain could stop her. "Hook, wait!" Once their eyes interlocked and their unspoken connection linked back together, as it was back on the beanstalk. Sage spoke in a tiny whisper, "Please don't do this. My brother, Emma's son, is in Storybrooke. He needs us."

     Hook began to walk towards her, pointing his index finger in an accusing tone, "Perhaps you should've considered that, before you abandoned me on that beanstalk."

     "You would've done the exact same." Sage snapped back, letting all her fears washed back over and fill her words. She didn't want to believe that Hook would have stayed on the beanstalk with her. She didn't want to believe that Hook would have stayed loyal and never leave her or the group. She didn't want to hope that perhaps there was some good in that pirate's heart.

     But all her assumptions, all the judgement and stereotypes she's created for this pirate standing in front of her, came crumbling down once he stood close to her, their noses inches away and their heated breaths mixing into one. "Actually, no." There wasn't nothing but honesty in his words and genuineness swirling around in his blue orbs. Sage was completely wrong; Killian Jones wouldn't have left her. He would have stayed with her and helped her get back to Storybrooke. 

     She didn't trust him. She screwed up.

     He reached into his leather pocket and pulled up a dry bean that hung on a golden chain, "Do you know what this is, Sage?"

     "The bean that the Giant kept." 

     "Yes, indeed. A pirate always keeps a souvenir of his conquest, but this, well, this is much more than a mere trinket. This is a symbol. Something that was once magical, full of hope, possibility." His words spoke the truth, as much as Sage hated it. From the moment they met, Killian saw a part of him in Sage. He saw the scared, lost little orphan who didn't know her place in the world. Most people saw that orphan too. But unlike everyone else who took pity on Sage, Killian saw the strong and fierce women who carried too much pain on her shoulders. The possibility of a second chance was all ruined for Killian once he saw the metal cuff that Sage put on his wrist. "Now look at it. Dried up, dead, useless. Much like you. The time for making deals is done, just as I'm done with you."

     His words weren't suppose to hurt. They weren't suppose to mean anything. Sage Chamberlain couldn't count the amount of times someone has insulted her before. But for some reason, the pirate's harsh words cracked fragments in her heart. It hurt like hell and Sage wished it didn't.

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖  

     "―My father is yelling, I've got no idea what to do. The chickens are running around the house, scaring my sisters half to death." For the past ten minutes, Thomas had been entertaining Sage with preposterous and hilariously funny stories of his childhood. Both of them sat in front of each other on a wooden bench, a long wooden table beside them. The house was dark with only a few candles scattered around the kitchen. Thomas cooked tomato soup with slices of bread and glasses of wine. The small house had been filled with laughter, by both Thomas and Sage.

     Sage was surprisingly having an amazing time. Laughing, joking, telling stories, Thomas and his subtle flirting. She couldn't remember a better time. Thomas chuckled, pouring more wine into his wooden cup. "After that dreadful day, we got rid of all the chickens and stuck to sheep. Much less drama that way."

     "You killed them?"

      Thomas shook his head rapidly, "No, no. While I do hunt, I would never kill innocent animals." He noticed the confused expression on Sage's face and continued to explain, "When I go out and hunt, it's me against the animal. When you're hunting animals in the forest, you're in their territory. It's a fair game. Fifty-Fifty chance."

     "Aren't you the honorable man." Sage giggled, before dipping one of her slices of bread into the tomato soup and biting it. Both heads snapped once they heard a door creak open. Two females peaked their heads through, "Thomas?" One of them whispered.

     The taller, older one had long, silky light blonde hair that cascaded down her shoulders. The shorter one, who looked to be around seven or eight, had plump cheeks and thin blonde hair that went down to her shoulders. Thomas glanced at the two women, before looking back at Sage, smiling widely. "Sage, these are my sisters Karen and Cassie. Girls, this is Sage."

     Sage gave a short wave, "Hi."

     Both sisters, obviously shy and timid, smiled back, before turning to their brother. The oldest, Karen, spoke first. "We just wanted to say goodnight."

     "Goodnight." Thomas lovingly said as both girls slipped back into their rooms. 

     "They're cute." Sage gushed, "Why are they blonde, but you're not."

     "Father's blonde, mother's brunette." Thomas shrugged, "What can I say?"

     "Where are your parents?"

     His smile flatten slightly, his fingers gazing the edge of his wooden cup. "Mother died giving birth to Cassie. Father is alive, but he spends his nights in a tavern, drinking away." A strong silence filled the space between them as Thomas began to pour his heart out into his words, "Whenever he looks at Cassie, he blames for the death. He used to love us all, but know, I just, don't know."

     "How unfortunate."  Sage whispered, shifting on her seat. "I'm terribly sorry."

     "What are your family?"

     There he goes with that single, most powerful question. It rattled Sage's heart with a tight grip, threatening to spill every single sentiment tucked away. Sage blinked away all the fear and hidden lesions in her eyes. "I-I believe I must go." She quickly got up, patting the dust off of the skirt of her dress. Before he could protest, Sage was out the door within a second. When she was out of the cottage, she was welcomed by the chilling air and the moon hanging in the navy sky. The sky was no longer a pitch black, but instead a fading blue. Thomas and Sage must have been speaking for hours.

     Thomas rushed out of the cottage as well, making Sage turn on her heels and face him. He stepped forward, looking at Sage's eyes. "Here you are running away, again. It seems you have a habit of doing so."

     She narrowed her eyes in curiosity. "Why do you want to know about me?"

     He let out a breath of air, a lopsided grin taking place on his lips. "Because you, Sage Chamberlain, are the most fascinating women I've ever met. And I see right you; your scared, your lost, your trying to find something but you don't know what."

     A breath of confidence awoke inside of Sage as she took a step forward closer to Thomas, looking up at his hope filled orbs. "What am I looking for?" Her voice was a mere, light whisper that echoed all her insecurities.

     Thomas glanced down at her pink lips, before looking back at her eyes, gulping down all his nervousness."You're looking for a home."

     With their noses nearly touching and both of their hearts accelerating at a rapid fast pace, both Thomas and Sage began to lean it. This was it, this was the moment where Sage was going to take a leap of chance. Her heart was either going to fall into a down spiral, just like with Jefferson, or it was going to be emanated and consumed with new, fresh love. The mere thought of Jefferson vanished from her mind, all of it vanishing once Sage felt Thomas' warm breath puff against her cheeks.

     Just when their lips were about to touch, all of Sage's fears rushed back into her heart like a furious lion pouncing on prey and she quickly yanked herself back 

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖  

     The irritating banging of Emma's sword colliding with the rusty, metal bars of Rumpelstiltskin's cage echoed through-out the rocky cave. A low groan muffled against Sage's closed lips as she slumped down to the ground and shut her eyes tightly, trying not to let her pessimistic thoughts overcloud her sliver of hope. Exactly ten minutes have passed since Cora and Hook made their appearance and snatched away the enchanted compass. No one had dared speak a word of their disappointing loss to the Queen. Words couldn't, didn't, reached Sage's mouth as her nimble fingers played with the thick brown shoelaces that were tied around her right wrist. The shoelaces belonged to Graham, someone who was taken' away from Sage too soon. The shoelaces were a sentimental reminder, whether or not Sage would admit to it.

     Despite the minutes going by, Hook's expressive words still painfully lingered in her head. Did he really see her as dried up and useless? Back on the beanstalk, did he once see her as hope? The questions nagged endlessly in her mind and Sage couldn't posture possible answers. The single thoughts that maybe, just maybe, she had pulled a heart string of the nefarious Captain Hook's heart stirred something inside of Sage. She couldn't put her finger on it though.

     This was Sage's problem, her absolute weakness. She held too much compassion, too much empathy, too much warmth. Through-out all her twenty-seven years of living, Sage had the annoying trait of attaching herself to people. All it took was one sob story for Sage to grow sympathy for. She hated it, she hated how she cared about people and their feelings. That was her weakness; she cared too much. She gave a damn about people and other people's lives. 

     Finally, after her ears became sore from all the banging and rattling, Sage lifted up her head and fluttered her eyes open, glaring at Emma, "It's not going to break it down, Emma. It was enchanted to hold Rumpelstiltskin. We don't have a chance. We're stuck here while the Queen of Bitchiness reigns once more!"

     Emma slid down the rocky wall, her sword landing on the ground with a loud, defeated thump. The once triumphant gleam of light that shined on the five women's faces now vanished into thin air, revealing in nothing more than utter despair for the situation they found themselves in. Aurora shook her head in disbelief, self loathing painted on her face, "This is my fault."

     Mulan, who was sitting beside the guilt ridden princess, leaned her head against her own palm and was quick to retort back, "No, it's mine. Cora stole your heart because I failed to protect you."

     "That's very sweet ―" Emma interjected with annoyance laced into her voice, reflecting on the disappointment that stretched on her pale face, "But I believe it's my fault. I'm the savior, and I'm not doing much saving, am I?"

     Both her mother and her closest friend walked over to the other side, slumping down and sitting on either sides of the inculpable blonde. "We're going to win this fight, you know." Mary Margaret said, her optimistic and light tone of voice illuminating the room of hopelessness. "Good always defeats evil."

     "You sound like Henry."

     A chuckle slipped from Mary Margaret's lips, "Guess optimism runs in the family."

     "I think it skipped a generation." Emma frowned with sorrow.

     "Sorry Snow, but I believe your optimism is falling limp." Sage mumbled, pushing a strand of her honey colored hair behind her ear. 

     "Emma, you should know better than anybody. You broke the curse."

     "What have I done since then? I got us stranded over here, burned down the wardrobe, let Cora get the ash, and now, the compass. The only reason I ever broke the curse, was because it was exactly what Gold wanted me to do. I had nothing to do with it." Emma rambled on, letting her emotions and insecurities take over her words. It was completely clear since day one that Emma sincerely believed that she wasn't a Savior, that she wasn't the hero who saved the day. 

     Mary Margaret furrowed her brows. "What are you talking about?"

     "He told you I was the savior. It was his plan. Once I fulfilled that role, maybe that's all I was ever meant to do. Everything I've ever done. He had it all mapped out before I was even born. I'm not powerful. I'm ― I'm not a savior." She passed Sage the scroll that had her name written a hundred times. "I'm a name on a piece of paper. I'm a pawn, and that's exactly why we are in here. And Cora's on her way to Storybrooke."

     Sage's grip on the scroll grew tighter, hating the fact that Cora was winning. Cora was the women who stripped her of any chance of happiness back in Wonderland. Old wounds weren't healed and cuts weren't sewn back together. But the reason they were there in the first place was because of her, the all mighty Queen of Hearts. "We're going to get out of here."

     Emma grumbled, rolling her eyes, "How? By staring at that scroll? It's not like it's going to magically open the door for us."

     A mischievous smirk quirked at the end of her lips as Sage suddenly jumped up and stood in the middle of the cage, "Yes it is!"

     "How?"

     "When I was a little girl, I remember my mother dabbling a bit in magic, mostly parlor tricks and simple hexes. I used to sneak into her bedchamber and watch her practice magic." Sage's smile widened, a laugh of disbelief escaping her parted lips. "Guys, the spells were in the book!"

     Emma furrowed her brows, looking at Sage like she had grown two heads. "Yeah, isn't that what a spell book is? A book that has spells in it?"

     "Watch."

     That simple word was followed by Sage lifting up the scroll and blowing on it. Black ink literally floated off the page and twisted together in a puff of smoke. Everyone stood up in admiration, including Mary Margaret and Emma who couldn't wipe the amazement off of their faces. "Squid ink. Gold wrote the scroll in squid ink!

     Sage inhaled deeply, before blowing on the black ink. The puff of floating ink flied towards the cage and instantly evaporated the metal bars, leaving a large gap in the middle of the cage. "Told you." Mary Margaret beamed at her friend, a grateful grin on her face. "Good always wins."

     Just when everyone was ready to set off and find the pair of villains, Aurora stopped them. "Wait! I can't go. You have to tie me up!"

     "No!" Mulan protested, shaking her head. "I'm not leaving without you."

     "I can't be trusted. Not as long as Cora has my heart."

     A look of determination filled with warrior's eyes, "Then I will get it back for you."

     Mulan then bent down and tied a cloth around Aurora's wrists, bounding them to the remains of the cage bars. Sage looked down at Aurora with sympathy, wishing that the princess didn't have to suffer from the emptiness of a heart. "Thank you, Aurora, for all your help."

     Aurora matched her smile, nodding her head. "Good luck."

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖  

♫ add it up by shawn mendes ♫

     "That was reckless." 

     Sage glanced up at the sound of Thomas's voice breaking the awkward stillness of the night. She didn't respond, but instead continued to clean the bloody cut on her arm. It was a cut that most likely didn't need stitches, hopefully, but still hurt like a bitch. But Sage ignored the pain with ease and cleaned the wound with a small rag. 

     Months and months have passed since Thomas and Sage's first meeting. Sage continued to steal from royal carriages, taking jewels and coins and then some. Thomas was knew quite well of Sage's occupation, but that didn't mean he liked it. He saw thievery as a dangerous job and he wanted nothing more than to protect Sage and keep her from harm's way. But Sage being Sage was stubborn and insisted that she was capable of taking care of herself. 

     This particular night was like anything other. Earlier, Sage was stealing from a random carriage when the driver shot an arrow at her, slicing her arm open. Where he got the bow and arrow was a question Sage didn't have time to ask since she ran like hell after, abandoning all the riches. The first person she went for help was Thomas. Over the course of those long months, the pair have grown closer than Sage would ever expect. Neither one of them spoke against about their almost kiss, but it still lingered in the back of both of their heads. 

     It was different with Thomas, to say the least. Unlike Jefferson, Sage could sense Thomas' attraction towards her. It was shown through their deep conversations and his flirtation and the by the loving gleam found in his eyes when he looked at her with a smile. At first, Sage attempted to keep him at arm's length, desperately trying to not let herself get attached. But Thomas was relentless and wouldn't let Sage go so easily. Not that Sage was complaining. 

    "And beyond stupid." Thomas continued, intensely staring at Sage with anger in his eyes. Sage didn't dare make eye contact, knowing that she would crumble at the site. So instead, she kept her dark brown eyes glued to the medium sized fire they had built with branches and wood. She was sitting on a long wooden log, her knees pulled to her chest, while Thomas was across from her, leaning against a tree. They were in the middle of the forest during the nighttime, surrounded by trees and the open air. "What the bloody hell were you thinking?"

     "I don't know." Sage shrugged, finally lifting her eyes up to meet Thomas'. Once their stares locked, the familiar feeling of butterflies formed in her stomach. "I know it was stupid going in unarmed. You don't need to give me a lecture..."

    She adverted her eyes back to the fire, feeling her heart swell in guilt. She didn't mean to get herself hurt, or to nearly get herself killed. Sometimes, she just simply forgot that there was at least one person who cared about her. She heard him sigh heavily, followed by footsteps crunching leafs. Tomas sat beside Sage, before reaching over and grasping her wounded arm. Sage couldn't help but flinch at the touch, finding a small shiver running down her spine. Due to awful rain that occurred ten minutes ago, Sage was nearly completely drenched in water, her hair damp and skin almost dry. 

     He huffed once more, "I don't mean to be angry, it's just...you could have gotten killed tonight." As he spoke, he began to care for her arm by gently wrapping a white cloth around the wound, "If that happen, I couldn't ―"

     Sage interrupted, placing her hand lightly on his, "But I wasn't. I'm completely fine, it's just a scratch. You can't get rid of me easily."

     His fingers danced with hers, her small ones wrapping around his. It scared her half to death to be this close to him. She could tell by her heart pounding so hard it might explode and the undeniable lust to have him touch her. Sage had strong, unstoppable feelings, that much was clear. It was hard enough for her to admit it herself, but seemed a million times more difficult to admit it to him. These feelings that controlled her every thoughts scared Sage and she didn't know what to do.

     The last time she was in love it was with her best friend, who ended up not having a wink of affection reciprocated towards her. It was hell watching him love enough and it was absolute hell to be consumed in heart break. She didn't want that. She didn't want to feel heartbroken. She didn't want to be abandoned. She didn't want to be in love again. 

     But you can't control your feelings, or the simplicity of the heart. 

     Almost like reading her mind, or possibly feeling the same tingle, Thomas looked up at Sage as they silently locked their eyes onto each other. Sage glanced between his green eyes, feeling a taste of anticipation on the edge of her tongue. Slowly, his hand reached up and cupped her rosy cheek, his thumb rubbing her skin tenderly. 

     There was a war brewing between her head and her heart. Her head told her to pull away and ignore any ounce of affection for this man in front of her. Her head told her to run away from any chance of getting hurt. Her head told her to not fall in love. But her heart was pulling Sage in a different direction. Her heart proclaimed to her, urged her to take the dangerous risk of letting herself go into the euphoric feeling of new love. Sage knew the consequences of her actions, she understood the possible outcome. But, God did she want this with all her heart. 

     Sage wanted to let herself go.

     After that simple silent proclamation, their lips clasped together in a passionate kiss that arose an exquisite feeling of complete paradise. She wanted this and every hour to come. She wanted to find harmony and peace in a man she could call hers. Her wall of protection was falling down, all thanks to one kiss that awoke too many uncontrollable love. Her hands found themselves on his neck, her fingers weaving into his hair as she deepened the kiss. Sage didn't want to stop and she hope to the gods above that Thomas didn't want to either.

     Her question was answered once Thomas curled his tongue around hers and reached for her shoulders, gazing her cardigan. Something sparked inside of both of them once his fingers played with the edge of her clothing. Both of them were know vividly aware of how much they wanted this, how much they were both compelled to follow every animalistic desire coursing through them. It rekindled a fierce fire in their hearts.

     That fire took over as Thomas hastily slipped off the cardigan off of her arms and threw it somewhere behind him, leaving Sage in only a thin skirt that went above her knees and a strapless white corset. Sage wrapped her arms around his neck, wanting to feel more and more of this rich pleasure. With the fire crackling beside them, Thomas placed a steady hand on Sage's back and lowered her to the soft, dirt ground. For a small second, their lips parted as Thomas hovered above her, their harsh breaths mixing as one. It didn't take long for Thomas to reconnect Sage's lips once more, one hand on her waist and the other on her upper thigh. 

     Her body was well and alive, reacting to every lingering touch Thomas left in his wake. Sage was once freezing as a result of the rain, but was now set ablaze with fire and warmth. Thomas' soft, delicate lips trailed down her jaw and onto her throat, sucking and kissing the smooth skin of Sage. She felt herself smile as pants and quiet moans left her mouth. She hooked her leg over his body, pulling him closer and tangling around his limbs. 

     As his fingers quickly began to untie the front strings of Sage's corset and Sage began to undo the buttons of Thomas's tucked-in tunic, it became completely and utterly clear of what this was:

     He was in love with her.

    She was in love with him.

     This was the rich, indescribable feeling of unbreakable love.

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖  

     "You're not going anywhere!" Sage's strong, courageous voice boomed across the lake, catching the shocking attention of Cora and Hook. The grip on her sword tightened, her fists turning white. Mary Margaret, Emma, and Mulan stood by her side, hard as flint. An arrow swiftly flew through the air, knocking the compass out of the pair's hands. Once they freed themselves from Rumple's cage, they immediately found Cora and Hook, who were preparing to leave through a portal created by the wardrobe dust. "This portal is taking us home!"

     Mary Margaret suddenly panicked, "The compass! Get it!"

     The group of women scattered away, Sage hastily going to where the compass had landed. Once she was within ten feet of it, Hook swung his cutlass, clashing with her metal sword. Sage continuously advanced towards Hook, furiously swinging her sword and blocking every defense Hook threw. Anger was fueling her actions, channeling every swing and harsh sway. Hook's venomous words stung pain into her heart, threatening to crack every wall that she had built. Now, she was she using rage to cover up her pain and to cover up that fact that she hated how it was her against Killian. A strong kick to the stomach made the pirate stumble back, but he quickly retaliated, the sharp edge of his cutlass flinging Sage's sword out of her hands. He gripped her arms, before pushing the reformed thief onto the sand.

     Sage groaned as she quickly crawled upward, desperately reaching for her sword. But the pirate grabbed her foot, yanking her back. Suddenly, all the fighting came to a brief pause once the satchel that contained Aurora's heart flew in the air, about to land into the whirling portal. However, Hook bent all the way back and surprisingly, caught the satchel with his curved hook, saving it from falling into oblivion. As Sage scurried up and grasped her sword again, slightly embarrassed that a damn pirate was able to catch her off guard, Hook tossed the bag at Mulan, "I may be a pirate, but I bristle at the thought of a woman losing her heart – unless it's over me."

     A few words exchanged between Mary Margaret and Mulan, before the warrior sent looks of gratitude towards the three women and ran off, going back to the princess tied up in the caves. Sage stood up, her sword up and ready to fight. Her and Hook locked eyes, a scoff leaving the women's lips, "I had no idea you had such a soft side." She hissed at him, narrowing her eyes, "Seems to me like the pirate has a heart after all."

     He shrugged off the angry words, "I don't. Just like a fair fight." Their metallic swords clashed against each other, both of them in a familiar battleground. The pair fight in sync, their fighting in an old, authentic style of sword play. As a matter of fact, both of them fought like pirates, like none of this was new to them. When their swords clashed once more and their faces were inches away, Hook quirked his eyebrow at the girl, slightly impressed that she was able to keep up with him, "Good form." Her leg kicked up, ready to knee him in the ribs. But his hook caught her thin leg, before she could attack, "Not good enough."

     The pirate flipped her back, the thief landing harshly on the ground. With her sword pointed straightly towards Hook, he began to slid both his cutlass and hook around her sword, making him get on his knees with their faces inches away, "Normally, I prefer to do more enjoyable things with a women on her back. With my life on the line, you've left me no choice. A bit of advice? When I jab you with my sword, you'll feel it. You might want to quit."

     Sage reached behind her and grasped the enchanted compass that was tucked behind her. She smirked widely, showing the compass to the pirate, "Why would I do that when I'm already winning."

     His once flirtatious grin quickly withered into a frown. Once again, her feet kicked his back and Sage quickly got up, swinging her sword again. A moment later, their swords connected and Sage clenched her hand tightly, "Thanks, Captain." She said, before whirling her fist back and roughly swinging it at Hook's jaw, knocking him out and sending him to the ground.  Sage awkwardly adjusted her brown, leather jacket, before running over to Mary Margaret and Emma, who were failing to beat the Queen of Hearts. 

     When Sage charged at Cora and impulsively tried to attack her, the witch vanished into purple dust. "Run!" Mary Margaret yelled as her best friend and daughter ran towards the portal like their lives depended on it, which technically, it did. But Cora poofed right in front of them, sending them feet behind the portal. 

      Sage got up, stumbling slightly. Her eyes widened as Cora furiously stormed towards her. When Emma and Mary Margaret attempted to get up, Cora flicked her hand and stopped them. When the Queen and the thief came face to face, just like they had all those years ago. Sage let out a dreadful sigh, blood tickling down from her lips, "Why the hell does the Queen of Hearts want to go to Storybrooke?" 

     Cora looked as if the question was outrageous! She simply responded with, "Because my daughter needs me. But now, I'm going to do the thing I've waited years to do. Something I should have done a long time ago." Just when Cora was about to reach back and mercly rip out Sage's heart, Emma sprung up and pushed her friend out of the way. Both Mary Margaret and Sage watched in horror as Cora plunged her hand into the blonde's chest and clenched her heart. Cora scoffed humorlessly, "Oh, you foolish girl! Don't you know? Love is weakness."

     The words lingered in Sage's mind as Cora tired to draw back her hand and clench the Savior's heart until it was purely ash. But no matter how hard Cora tried, the blonde's heart would not come out of her chest. A look of determination crossed Emma's face, "No, it's strength." 

     A flash of bright light spread across the dry land, reuniting the three women with a reassuring spark of hope. Cora vanished into thin air once the Savior's magic touched her. Emma looked absolutely freaked out, completely astonished about the unknown magic that just flew out of her. Both Mary Margaret and Sage sprung up, gripping the blonde's shoulders, "What was that?"

     A single tear slipped down Mary Margaret's cheek, passing her widening smile, "That...is a great subject for discussion, when we get home."

     Sage smiled, tears stinging her eyes. Home sounded like the most magical word right about now.

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖  

     Wonderland was the home of the most beautiful places. It was one of the things Sage admired most about it. She couldn't but let her dark eyes gaze her surroundings in absolute wonder. Her hand was gripped tightly by Thomas, who walked by her side. Her and Thomas walked along a tremendously long white, stone path that led them towards the coast. Tall willow trees went alongside the path, sprinkled with white snowflakes. Winter was rolling around the corner and while Sage didn't find the cold weather pleasurable, it was a beautiful site. Golden brightness shined down from the sky, lightening up the realm, almost like it was reflecting Sage's happiness.

     She was happy, beyond and astonishingly happy. 

     It was an odd feeling, an emotion she's rarely ever felt. But when she was with Thomas, a luminous glow of joy and love wrapped around her heart. Jefferson would always and forever be known as her first love, but the kind of love that Thomas and Sage shared was not first love. It was an indescribable amount of euphoric and consuming love. The mere thought of losing Thomas or falling in love with someone else made her stomach twist. 

     Yet they haven't said the three words.

     It was mostly on Sage's part, unfortunately. There were multiple moments where Thomas would gladly proclaimed his love to Sage and completely devote himself to her. But Sage was the one that held back. Those three words would change everything. Those three words were harsh demons swirling around in her head, they had always been that. The people that she loved most always tended to leave her alone and more broken than before. So, until Sage eventually blurted it out (may take a few decades or so), Thomas was patiently waiting for Sage to be ready to take that next step forward in their relationship. 

     Sage giggled at the word relationship. Damn, it sounded better than she imagined. Thomas looked at her, quirking his curious eyebrow at her, "What are you giggling at?" He chuckled, his hand sliding out of hers, before instead of moving away, like Sage expected, he wrapped his arm around her waist and tugged on her hood, pulling it down so he could see her face better. 

     "Nothing." She shook her head, looking back up at him with a gleaming smile, "Just thinking about you becoming a thief."

     Thomas let out a stifle laugh, "I ask you not to laugh. Listen, I am not letting you sneak into the Queen's castle and steal her jewels without my help. It would kill me if anything happened to my girl."

     A faint blush rose on her cheeks, "While I do appreciate the overwhelming concern, I've been a thief since I was a teenager. Sneaking into a castle is simply nothing."

     He shrugged, "You can never be to careful." His voice descended into a soft whisper, his lips briefly gazing the outline of her jaw. As Sage became to uncontrollably laugh, Thomas leaned down and began to place playful, ticklish kisses on her neck.

     Sage pushed him back gently, flustered at his flirtatious attitude, "You're in an awfully delightful mood. What's gotten into you, Tommy."

     "I'm happy."

     A smile was able to cover all the reopening wounds and deadly fears that was painted on her face. Of course, she was thankful that he was happy with her. And yes, she was happy as well. But their love and their happiness wasn't making up for all the pain and abandonment that left scars of Sage's skin. It hurt, knowing that she wasn't good enough for him. She was too damaged, too broken, too undefinable. He deserved a girl who would leap at the chance of being with him forever, a girl who wasn't afraid to say the words i love you, a girl who wasn't terrified of love in general.

     Thomas being his usual perceptive self, noticed the look of  distress that crossed over Sage's delicate features. "Hey." He whispered, facing her fully. His warm, soft hands cupped her cheeks and he leaned his forehead to touch hers. She closed her eyes, wanting to cling onto this moment forever and never let go. She never wanted to let go of him. "I will make you happy, I promise."

     The orphan opened her eyes and looked at his crystal green ones, one utter promise in her eyes, "You already have." She brokenly whispered back. Soon enough, their lips connected and neither one of them made an effort to move from this desirable position. Sage gripped the edge of his shirt, pulling him closer. He deserved better. He would get hurt. All those horrifying thoughts ran through her circuit, but Sage decided that in this very moment, she would be selfish and be with who she wanted to be with.

     I love you.

    I love you.

    She repeated the words over and over in her head, but never said that out loud.

     Don't leave me.

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖  

          Henry shook with sadness, tears tickling down his cheeks as he stared at the well in front of him. Hope withered from his pale face, a gut-wrenching pain twisting in his stomach. They were gone; his sister, his mother, his grandmother. All three of them were gone. The heroes had lost and evil won again. His adoptive mother, Regina, trembled as she lied on the dirt ground and spoke in a broken whisper, "I'm sorry, Henry."

     All panic seemed to intensify once a hand reached out from the well and grasped onto the edge tightly. Both Rumpelstiltskin and Regina went rigid in fear, expecting to witness the Queen of Hearts to come out. But only relief washed over once they saw it was Sage who was pulling herself out of the stone vessel, followed by the Savior and Mary Margaret. 

     "Mom?"

     Sage brushed off the dust on her jeans, before looking around, her eyes widening in joy once she saw Henry, "Henry!" She exclaimed, smiling brightly. The ten year old boy yelped in happiness, running past his adoptive mother and towards his family. Emma and Sage wrapped their arms around the boy, choking back sobs and saying sweet nothings as they held him close, not wanting to let go. Mary Margaret hugged the three, beyond grateful that they were all home and safe.

     Sage pulled away, looking at Henry with tears in her dark eyes, "I miss you so much, kid." 

     Henry nodded in agreement, looking at his surrogate sister with a childish gleam, "I missed you too."

     Out of the corner of her eye, Sage saw Rumple casually leave. He was never really the one for reunions. "What happened? Are you okay?" Everyone's attention turned to the she-wolf who was running towards them. Mary Margaret and Sage grinned, wrapping their closest friend in a giant bear hug. Or wolf hug, technically. 

     Suddenly, Mary Margaret jumped back, "My husband! Where is he? I need to find him!"

     Both Ruby and Mary Margaret ran off, eagerly going back to town in order to save the prince. The three others carefully walked over to Regina. Sage stood up straighter, "Uh, your mom, she's a...piece of work, you know?"

     "Indeed I do." Regina nodded, before a small smile twisted on her lips, "Welcome back."

     Sage sighed deeply, smiling as she placed her hand on top of Henry's. She never wanted to leave him again. She never wanted him to be in harm's way. She wanted to protect him from the dangers of the world.

     That's what family does.

     ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

      "Run!" Sage screamed as her and Thomas ran as fast as they could down the checkerboard-pattern corridor. Card knights were on their trail, trying to jab them with their spears and swords. The plan to steal the Queen of Heart's jewels and sneak into her castle didn't go as planned. The Queen's guards caught them and here they are now, trying to get the hell out of the castle and back into the forest. But the Queen's castle was like a twisted maze, filled with traps and madness at every corer. 

     "Turn left!" She yelled, before they both rounded around a corner, running down a hallway with velvet walls and white marble floors. Both of them were lucky they didn't trip yet. Once they reached a twisted staircase, they hurried down the steps and finally arrived at the throne room. A long, narrow bridge connected to the throne room and the outside world. Just when the couple were about to reach the bridge, guards came out of nowhere and blocked the passage. 

     The pair backed up, their eyes widening, "We're surrounded."  Sage announced with panic, glancing behind her to see more guards following suit.

     "I can see that." Thomas murmured, stepping in front of Sage in a protective manner. Suddenly, the heard of guards began to spread out, creating a path between them. Sage's eyes widened in fear as the Queen of Hearts herself walked down that path, her hands intertwined in front of her red-and-white gown. Thomas and Sage gripped each other tightly, afraid to loose sight of one another. 

     "Well, well, well..." The Queen taunted, edging closer and closer to the frightened couple, "Look what we have here. An outlaw couple fishing for jewels."

     "Your majesty..." Thomas started out, before he was cut off by her harsh tone.

     "Don't speak!" She proclaimed with ferocity in her words, "It seems that these thieves need to learn the consequence of trying to steal from the Queen of Hearts."

     Suddenly, two guards grabbed Sage from behind, yanking her backwards and roughly keeping her arms behind her back. Thomas whipped around, about to fight back. But the Queen used magic to freeze him in place, making him unable to move. As tears brimmed in Sage's eyes, a desperate plea to let both her and Thomas go, the Queen of Hearts stepped forward and stood behind Thomas, both of them facing Sage, "You naive child! Don't you know, love is weakness." The Queen venomously hissed at Sage, before plunging her hand into Thomas' back and grasping his heart.

     "No, no, no.." Sage repeated over and over again, struggling in the guards' strong, rough hold on her. "Let him go, please!"

     Thomas' broken, lovesick voice called out, "I love you, Sag ―"

     The Queen's hands crushed Thomas' heart so quickly, it shook Sage's entire world. She yelped forward, but was held back by the guards. Wretched sobs left her lips, heaving her chest and breaking her heart in the process. Her knees went weak as she watched Thomas' lifeless body collapse onto the ground, his heart and their love story stopping. Sage broke from the guards' grasp, running over to Thomas body and getting on her knees, hovering over his body and cupping his cheeks, "Please, wake up! Don't leave!' She painfully cried, shaking his shoulders weakly. "I love you too, I'm so sorry."

     From behind, the Queen of Hearts cocked her head to the side, sighing bitterly, "This is the price you have to pay when you fall in love."

     Sage sniffled, tears streaming down her face. She confidently  grasped Thomas' face with her soft hands, wishing he was alive to hear her words, "I will never love anybody the way that I love you."

     The Queen mercilessly spoke, feeling no remorse or guilt for killing Sage's true love. "Lock her up."

| author's note |

so...that happened. I hope you guys didn't get too attach to Thomas considering the fact that...he's a dead motherfucker. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.3K 731 48
The darkness escaped the sorcerer's hat and has found a new host, Elaine Swan. She is the new Dark One, can her family, friends and love bring her ba...
22.1K 965 29
Book 3 of the One of You series Henry is in danger. After Greg and Tamara's attempted destruction of Storybrooke, they had kidnapped the young boy an...
66K 1.4K 47
Alana, Emma, David, Mary Margaret, Regina, Captain Hook and Mr Gold are on their way to Neverland to save Henry who had been taken there, under Pan's...
75.1K 1.6K 19
Can a princess have feelings for a pirate? The curse over Storybrooke is lifted, everyone remembers who they are again. During an unfortunate situati...