Flicker

By Cassiebobassie

Every action has a reaction; every cause, an effect. Sometime the consequences are too hard to bear. After ma... More

Flicker
Flicker: Deux
Flicker: Trois
Flicker: Quatre
Flicker: Six
Flicker: Sept
Flicker: Huit
Flicker: Neuf (1/2)
Flicker: Neuf (2/2)
Flicker: Dix
Flicker: Onze
Flicker: Douze
Flicker: Trieze
Flicker: Quatroze
Flicker: Quinze
Flicker: Seize
Flicker: Dix - Sept
Flicker: Dix-Huit
Flicker: Dix-Neuf
Flicker: Vingt
Flicker: Vingt-et-une
Flicker: Vingt-Deux
Flicker: Vingt-Trois
Flicker:Vingt - Quatre (1/2)
Flicker: Vingt - Quatre (2/2)
Flicker: Vingt-Cinq
Flicker: Vingt-Six
Flicker: Vingt-Sept (1/2)
Flicker: Vingte-Sept (2/2)
Flicker: Vingt - Huit
Flicker: Vingt-Neuf ***Finale***
Flicker: Author's Note

Flicker: Cinq

2.3K 87 11
By Cassiebobassie

One Week Later...

Nora sat at her vanity, towel drying her hair.

She worked slow and steadily.

It wasn't a task that required much attention, but today, Nora made sure to make a show out if it. How long had it been since she had washed her hair? It felt like it had been ages. This morning, she woke up at the crack of dawn and sat up in bed. She looked out the window, watching the world get up - even the sun ready to greet the day. She felt inspired to do the same. So, after some time had passed, she walked to the bathroom and commenced the long and painful process of detangling her matted hair. Halfway through, she realized that it was too much of a difficulty. Without much thought, she grabbed scissors and chopped her hair. It rested an inch or two past her shoulders but it was manageable. She washed, conditioned, rinsed, and combed.

Stepping out of the shower, she felt clean, refreshed, and rejuvenated. It had been so long since she felt those feelings.

So, Nora enjoyed the minutes that passed as she made sure her hair was thoroughly dried.

Once she was satisfied with that she decided to perfect herself, moisturizing and primping. So engrossed in her task, Nora didn't notice Mary knocking on the door or entering the room. It was the sound of glassware falling to the ground and shattering that drew her attention.

"Mary! Goodness!" Nora cried as she got up and rushed over to Mary's aid.

"I-I am so sorry, miss," Mary said, her voice shaking. She bent over and picked up the fallen food and glass shards that were covering the carpet. "I will have someone in here immediately to clean this properly."

"Don't worry about it, Mary. That's what slippers are for. What happened?" Nora asked. It wasn't like Mary to lose her grip.

"I was just so surprised to see you...um...out of bed."

"Oh. Yes. " Nora said, giving a sheepish grin and a shoulder shrug.

"It should not happen and it will not happen again."

"It is alright, Mary."

"I will be right back with another breakfast tray."

"No need for you to run up and down the stairs. I will go down with you and have my meal."

Nora could have sworn that Mary's heart skipped a beat.

"You will?" Mary squeaked.

"Is that a problem?"

"No. No. No. Of course not. Just another surprise. Well, go on and get dressed then."

Nora gave a small smile before clothing herself in a simple outfit.

"Your hair..."

Mary's voice trailed off.

"Oh. Yes. I cut it. Do you like?" Nora asked timidly, running her hands over the uneven edges,

"I'm sure with a little tweaking, it would be very fitting on you. Perhaps we can get a - "

"It's fine for now."

Mary sighed.

"Yes, it is. Mind if I do a little something?"

Nora nodded and Mary had Nora sit at the vanity once more. Mary worked her magic - tucking, smoothing. After adding a couple of hairpieces, Mary was done.

"There you go. How's that."

Mary turned her head side to side, admiring the simple style. The hair fell over her gaunt cheeks, her dark brown hair contrasted dramatically against her pale skin.

"I like."

"You are...picture perfect."

"I don't know about all that."

"Come on now. Let us go down." Mary said, squeezing Nora's hand.

Nora followed Mary across the threshold and out into the hallway. Her nerves were jumbling but she tried her best not to show it. She realized that she hadn't been outside of her room in more than a month. It felt foreign and odd for her to leave the comfort of her room. However, the hunger that was racking her stomach overrode that panic.

They ran into no one as they walked to the breakfast nook. Nora was happy about that.

When they got to the table, Nora went to sit in her usual spot. She looked around, palming the table. She wanted to feel everything, from the wood grain to the chair covers. She even peered at the dust that whirled in the air. Nora wanted to make sure it was all real - that she was not going to open her eyes and be back in bed.

Mary had left her sitting and she returned with Nora's food. She placed it in front of her and stood there, wringing her hands. She was waiting for something in Nora to snap and her whole body to fall limp and to the floor.

Nora picked at the food - buttered toast, sliced banana, and blueberries.

"What's the matter?" Mary asked, concernedly.

"Nothing. It looks yummy. But...do you think I could have pancakes?"

"Pancakes!?"

"Yep. Pancakes. This looks good, it does, but I'm just hankering for some pancakes right about now."

"I will get the cook to bring them in right away. Do you want me to take that plate?"

"No no. I'll finish this. But, could I have a stack of chocolate chip buttermilk pancakes - at least four - with whip cream and syrup? Butter on the side please."

Mary could not hide her beaming smile.

"Certainly."

"One glass of milk and another of orange juice. Oh and half a grapefruit please."
Nora's pale face bloomed slightly in embarrassment as she gave her order. Mary was delighted to see her have some color on her face.

"Coming right up."

Nora watched as Mary speedily walked off to get her dish made. She sat there quietly, munching. She was at peace for the most part, though she felt off-kilter just a little bit. She was distracted from her chewing by high pitched voices.

She looked forward and saw a small, black-haired head disappear behind a wall.

"She saw us!" The disembodied voice whispered.

Nora knew who that voice belonged to and for the first time in so long, she felt joy.

"Peyton?" Nora called out to the air.

She heard nothing in return.

"Peyton! Annabelle! Come here." She coaxed sweetly.

The two showed themselves but kept themselves at a distance. They were as cute as ever. Nora missed Peyton's serious gaze and Anna's bouncing curls.

"You're not gonna come give me a hug?" Nora asked, standing up.

"Papa said you were sick. Are you still sick, Nora?" Annabelle wondered, gazing at Nora expectantly.

"No. I'm not sick anymore. I'm as healthy as a horse."

"Are you sure? Cause I don't want to get any germs." Peyton sneered.

"Yes, Peyton. I'm sure. Don't worry about me. Now, where's that hug?"

Nora knelt and the tots couldn't resist running into the arms of the woman that had cared for them so well. Nora held their warm bodies in her arms, savoring the contact. She didn't want to let go, and if it weren't for their squirming, she wouldn't have.

"Oh, I missed you guys so much."

"We missed you too, Nora. Did you have the flu?" Anna asked, Nora as she touched the sparkling flower pins that Nora had in her hair.

"Something like that, sweetheart. Something like that. Still getting over it, but it's not contagious - I swear!"

"Good. We were thinking that you abandoned us." Peyton commented, his voice so woeful, and Nora saw clearly, the young, vulnerable young child that Peyton was. She closed her eyes briefly, realizing that they probably thought that she was like every other person who came in their lives - inconsistent.

"Never. I was just unwell. Won't happen again. I can promise you that."

Just then Mary walked in on them, with the goods.

"Oh, children! I wasn't expecting you to be here. Why aren't you in your playroom?"

"No. It's alright, Mary. Let them stay. They are keeping me company."

The youngsters were happy to oblige and sat on either side of Nora. Mary placed the tray down and uncovered it. The pups' jaws fell to the ground. Who could blame them? Fresh buttermilk pancakes would have anyone drooling.

"If I get food like this, I wanna be sick all the time" Peyton exclaimed.

Nora shook her head, laughing at the young tot.

"It's not your food, it is for Miss Nora."

The tots' faces fell in disappointment and Nora's heart just couldn't bear it. She looked at the five pancakes in front of her and then at the two children that were round the table.

"I mean, but there's no way I'm going to be able to finish all of this by myself. If only I had two people to help me." Nora said, feigning displeasure.

Nora pretended not to see the two hands that were waving eagerly in the air.

"Hmm. I guess I'm going to have to go with you two."

That was all that needed to be said. Mary had to get extra utensils quickly before the munchkins ate through the table.

"Mary, why don't you have a seat and eat with us." Nora offered, as she poured Peyton some of her milk.

"That's quite alright, dear. Not necessary."

"Mary, please. You wait on me hand and foot. Take a breather. Have a grapefruit."

"I don't think -"

"I'm no longer asking."

Nora hated to pull the "authority" card, but it was the only way she could get Mary to cooperate.

"Oh fine. If I must." She grumbled.

So, the four of them chatted and laughed, as they all shared a filling breakfast. Nora was happy to be around their jolly personalities. It was just the medicine she needed.

After they were all done licking their fingers, Peyton and Anna all but dragged Nora up the stairs and to their room to play. They were so just ecstatic to have their friend back. Nora sat on the ground and was more than happy to read to them, sing, and play hand games. However, after an hour of the rambunctiousness, Nora felt drained.

She didn't know where the exhaustion came from, but it nearly made her want to curl into a ball on the floor. She did. She was practically snoozing when she felt hands shaking her. She opened her turned on her back to see Mary standing above her.

"Mary? What are you doing?"

"I'm getting you off this floor. If you want to sleep, you will do it in your bed, love."

"No. Leave me here. I'm so tired."

"You've over-exerted yourself today."

"But I love to be with the children."

"I am sure you do and they love having your presence." Mary managed to wrangle Nora up onto her feet. She put Nora's arms over her shoulders and began to walk her down the hall and to her chambers.

May had managed to open the door and get Nora onto the bed.

"There you go, sweetheart. Now you rest up. I'll have dinner waiting for you when you wake up."

Nora wasn't going to argue and she soon fell asleep.

O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o

Quinton sat beside Catherine, sipping on a glass of wine. He watched as Blaine chased Peyton and Anna around. They giggled and squealed. Quinton was a stern and unbending man, but he had a soft spot for those kids. They were practically his niece and nephew. He had been present since their birth and had been there for their first words, steps, and everything else. To them, he wasn't the alpha, but just uncle Quinton. They were the only ones who could be themselves around him. It gave him some happiness.

The kids ran in his direction and hid behind his chair.

"I'm gonna get you." Blaine threatened.

"No. Uncle Quinny! Help!" Annabelle begged. Quinton stood up and howled.

"You're not gonna get anywhere near them." He challenged.

"Who's gonna stop me?"

"I will!"

Quinton landed a "punch" on Blaine's face, which sent Blaine sprawling on the ground.

"Help me, kids."

With that, the children were clambering onto Quinton and pelting him with their little fists.

"Guys! I was on your side." He said as he kneeled to the ground with the two pups clinging to him

They jumped off.

"I wish Nora was here." Peyton declared out of the blue, with a pout. All the adults zeroed in on him.

Blaine sighed and walked towards his son. He got down on one knee before him.

"I know you must miss her, Peyton, and that it's been a long time since you've seen her. However, Miss. Nora will be better soon."

"She's already better." Annabelle chimed in.,

"Yea. She said so this morning." Peyton added.

Everyone cocked their heads.

"What do you mean by 'this morning?'" Blaine asked.

"We ate with Miss Nora, today. She let us have some of her pancakes."

"But then she fell asleep and she didn't play with us anymore." Anna sniffled. "I hope tomorrow we can play again."

Catherine was out of her chair and marching towards Blaine when she heard that statement. Quinton was striding in the other direction towards the door. He walked through the game room and into the hallway, calling for Mary.

"What! What is it? What's with the shouting?" Mary called out, as she bustled down the hallway.

"Is that true?" He hollered, walking to stand before her.

"Is that true?"

"That Nora had breakfast with the children? She played with them?"

Mary's mouth just opened and closed.

"Is it? He shouted.

"For one, mister, I do not like your attitude. I do not know where you find the temerity to raise your voice at me."

Quinton closed his eyes and forced himself to calm down.

"I'm sorry, Mary. You are right. I just do not understand why I was not informed about the fact that my mate was just strolling around the house."

"What would it do for you? So she had breakfast and she played with the children for a bit? So what. Doesn't change anything."

"Mary I question your judgment. She has just gotten herself together. What makes you think she is at all ready to be doing such things? I love Peyton and Anna - don't get me wrong - but they can run you ragged."

"Don't you think I know that? But I was not about to deny the opportunity to have her return to some normalcy. Besides, she was fine. She just needed to rest. She woke up to have her dinner. All was well."

"I just do not -"

"Quinton, I am not asking for your opinion. I am sorry that I did not update you. However, this is the exact situation I was trying to avoid. You get so worked up about the simplest of things. Nothing is wrong. Nothing has changed. The only thing I can say is that she had a hearty appetite. I hope that tomorrow will be much the same."

"Can I see her then?"

"No. I don't think that would be wise."

Quinton raised his fist and punched the wall next to him.

Mary just crossed her arms and looked at him, as if she was bored to death.

"Why not?"

"Because of that." She pointed to the dent in the wall. "Because you're still concerned for yourself and your satisfaction. She isn't ready for communication with you yet. Wait for her to decide!"

"I am tired of waiting. I want her at dinner tomorrow evening."

"I will not have that. You cannot force someone to heal. You just cannot. You two have not gotten over the rift that has driven you apart."

"Then I will force it closed."

"And then you will force her back to the dark pit that she just crawled out from. Is that what you want?"

The words rang loud in his ears.

"No." He admitted.

"Okay then. Listen to me and just leave it be."

"Can you at least ask her to dinner tomorrow? Keep asking until she agrees."

"Then you need to promise me this: keep away from her until she's better."

"There must be some way I can communicate with her; to show her that I am worried...and that I miss her."

Mary's heart nearly melted.

"There might be some way."

"How? I'll do anything."

"Give her a card and perhaps some flowers."

"Seriously? What am I...cupid?."

Mary wagged her fingers.

"Do not give me any lip. I am telling you, that is the way to do it. Give her a card, and write in it what you just told me. Every so often you should give her a card, or some chocolates. Something she'd appreciate."

Quinton considered her advice.

"I guess I will have to be satisfied with that for now."

"You will. You can increase your efforts all in good time, but start small okay. You don't want to overwhelm her."

"Okay?"

"I need to go make a call to her family."

"Do you?"

"Yes. Her father has been nonstop questioning about her condition. He'll be happy to know that she's on her feet."

"Maybe, in the future, if you're so inclined to get on Nora's good side you'll have her see them in person instead of just contacting them by phone."

"Mary, you are genius."

Quinton grabbed her by the waist and lifted her in his arms. No matter how old he got, she would never stop being his nanny.

"Oh, put me down, you. Go off and handle your business."

Quinton did just that. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15K 1.1K 47
Ava Black.The girl with the golden heart.She cannot see anyone unhappy.She is one of the sweetest soul's alive. And she has her heart set on someone...
525 5 3
Ed's world changes when he meets Shiloh. After several encounters and some drama, reality hits them that they're in love. But will it last?
1.6M 42.6K 48
Victoria Anderson is determined to finish college and make her parents proud. Finding love isn't on her list of priorities but she can't help the att...
2.5K 98 14
Sequel to: Beyond Me and You As time passes we all grow and mature. The people may change but who says the feelings have to as well? Or does seeing...