Shadow Of The Nightshade

By -blackbones

Shadow is an assassin because it was all she had ever known. With a mind that has been broken time and time a... More

(Important)
Part I
Going to Gotham.
Being Old and Empty Books.
Lost Memories and Confusion.
Pondering in The Air.
Meeting Him.
Silent Tears.
Slade Wilson.
Reconnaissance.
Fairytale Endings.
Part II
Secrets at Cadmus.
Protecting ULT.
Unraveling.
Encountering Him.
Incognita.
Mission Accomplished.
Interrogation (Part 1)
Interrogation (Part 2)
Interrogation (Part 3)
Darkness.
Darkness (2).
Song Bird (1).
Song Bird (2).
What They Want.
Round And Round
Nick Of Time(1).
Nick Of Time (2).
A Stitch In Time.
More Of This?
What Happens When A Speedster...
What Happens When A Kryptonain...
Snippet.
To Be Or Not To Be.
Tantamount To Innocence.
Shocker.
Inked.
Questioned, And Answered.
The Foundation.
Needles, and Regrets.
The Killer And The Sadist.
Plans, and Strings.
Sticks and Stones.
Words Will Never. . .
Memories And Delusions.
Like Shattered Glass.
Part III
Mistrust.
Loss.
Therapy.
Trust?
Talking.
End.
Family.
Sold My Soul.
Showers.
Acknowledge That You've Been Beat.
Admitting That You're Jelly.
Out Of Luck.
Outfoxed.
Outclassed.
Surprises.
The Unexpected.
The Unexpected (2).
Sort of Expected.
If she dies, I die.
Lock Down.
Goodbye.
Mission Accomplished?.
Escape.
Straight To Voicemail.
I'll Do This For You.
Cat And Mouse.
The Nightshade.
Alfred Is The Ultimate Ninja Master.
Part IV
Day 1: •°Can't Let Go°•
•°Bitter Revelation°•
Day 3: °•Letting go°•
•°No Way°•
•°Day 6: The Foundation°•
Day 10: °•Understanding°•
Day 9: •°Bearable•°
Day 10: •°Broken Mirror•°
Day 9: •°Gabriel•°
Day 9:•°Elijah•°
Day 10: •°Discharge•°
Day 10: •°Breathe•°
Day 10: •°Names•°
Cue The Flash.
Call me Don.
BREAKING NEWS!
Killing.
Let's play.
Shall we die?
Rain, Rain, Go Away...
The Past.
To Kill.
I Know Her.
Robin and Shadow.
Chosen.
It was a deal.
I did. ..
It's Our Fault.
Robin, Where's Shadow?
Lilian.
Meeting Again.
Hate.
Belong
Team Shadow.
Three words.
Sleep.
Talking Again.
Just Because...
Sleep with a smile
Kitchen fever.
Blinded
Timothy.
Gabriel's visit (I)
Gabriel's visit (II)
Gabriel's visit (III)
Death

Time.

1K 75 15
By -blackbones

××

I walked through the sliding doors of LexCorp, narrowing my eyes at the guard blocking my way.

'We're closed,' he said, bluntly.

My hand closed tight around the blood covered needle. I should be here wasting something I didn't have.

I licked the blood on my lips, grimacing as it burn my tongue. I needed more time.

This won't do.

Watching the gagging guard fall to the ground, I ignored the screams of the lady at the desk as I pulled out the metal needle from his neck.

I shot a glare at the feeble woman, shutting her up effectively.

I walked to the elevator and realized that there was no other employee in sight.

With a soft click the doors opened. I looked at the numbers on the panel, pushing my finger against the button for the ground floor, the lobby I was currently on was only an illusion.

Leaning my back on the cool steel wall, I closed my eyes. It might have taken only a few seconds for the elevator to open again but it felt like years.

My eyes snapped open, taking in the scene in front of me. An almost countless number of assassins filled the level.

I clenched my fist, trying to control my breathing as a crack ran up the screen of the phone in my grip.

'A freaking reconnaissance mission Batman? Do you have a grudge with Robin? Were you hoping he got killed tonight? Am. . . am I such a bad person?'  I threw the poor android in anger, at an equally unlucky assassin who got knocked out once the phone connected with his jaw.

Didn't matter, I just had to find him.

I strolled into the room with confidence I didn't feel. Clothe in black and drenched in the scent of blood, I blended in perfectly, moving through the mass of killers unnoticed.

I took it upon myself to end the life of any assassin the heroes managed to defeat before they got overrun by recovered foes.

How kind of me. . .

I also killed the assassins who were stupid enough to block my way. How could they not have found out that someone had infiltrated—

'Enemy Attack!'

Seemed like I spoke to soon.

The assassins closest to me chose to attack. I took a step back.

It's still not enough.

'A dozen, really?' I scoffed. 'You underestimate me that much? Do you even know who I am?'

'Tell us!' One of them jeered through his mask.

'Who do you think you are? The Shadow Of The Nightshade?' Another laughed.

I flashed him an angelic smile. 'You don't have the qualifications to question my identity.'

'Kill her! She's delirious.' The person who gave the order, obviously the leader of the small squad, didn't even spare a glance at me.

Good.

I'll take care of this platoon first then.

Twirling the needle in my hand, I stared at the assassins charging towards me. I bounced on my feet for a moment before jumping into the air and scanning for the current condition of the heroes.

I still wasn't enough of a distraction.

Robin was still being overwhelmed with numbers and the rest of team wasn't doing any better.

This was so frustrating.

I landed back on the ground and threw the needle at the first person I saw.

One down, a company to go.

I needed to be faster. Kill faster.

I closed my eyes, hearing the ordered footsteps of fellow Shadows marching towards me with precision and deadly accuracy, in a formation I had participated time and time again under the Demon's Head, Ra's Al Ghul.

I wasn't at Mount Justice.

I was a killer.

My eyes opened as I wrapped my fingers around the neck of the target in front of me, twisting my grip until I heard a snap.

I am a killer.

Dropping the body, I swung my arm back, elbowing the attacker behind me in the face.

People were nothing but targets.

As he fell I lifted him up by the collar, pulling his limp body in front of mine to use as a shield. I could imagine the horror in his eyes as the teammate he had trained with for several years ended his life.

I shouldn't care.

His body slumped to the floor. Time felt frozen as I grinned at the horrified assassins.

I didn't care.

The once smug leader turned to me with fear in his eyes, his smile fallen a long time ago, 'You're—:

'—all going to die tonight.' I completed, walking up to him and grabbing him by the shirt, forcing his gaze down to my eye level, 'and it's all because of you.'

I relished their fear.

He started trembling, at first with fright, then . . . something else.

Craved it.

He started laughing, spitting out a mouthful of black blood. 'We are under attack from the Nightshade!'

He screamed hysterically, his laughter dying out into choked screams as his life faded away.

Admirable. I thought, pulling my hand out of his chest. Trying to end your own life. . . like o would let you.

I stared at the warm blood coating my hand in disgust. If I concentrated hard enough, I could still feel the pulsing of his heart against my fingers.

Sadly, I'm not interested in whatever secrets you might know.

I looked around, searching for my needle before finally spotting the assassin whose throat had been pierced through with it.

Pulling it out gingerly, I wiped it on my sleeve. No one tried to approach me.

Ah. . . Robin wouldn't want this anymore. It's golden glow had faded. It was chipped in several places and covered in so much blood that you'd think it was originally red.

I smiled sadly. It was broken, like me.

Robin wouldn't want me anymore.

My breath hitched at the thought.

I couldn't do this.

Robin would die and it'll be my fault for being weak.

I can't save him in time, there are to many obstacles.

The assassins might be afraid of me now, but I'll eventually loose.

It was hopeless. Like trying to fight against the current of a river.

I cradled the needle to my chest, suddenly dismayed.

One assassin charged out of the crowd and rushed at me. I stared at the sword in his hands blankly.

It was a poor, futile attempt that couldn't ever succeed.

Another assassin charged.

Then another.

Soon, I was surrounded again.

My eyes lit up at the show. Maybe I don't need to be strong enough, or fast enough.

Maybe if I make a pathetic attempt at success, I could quite possibly succeed.

Robin didn't have an high chance of escaping alive but he was still fighting, probably hoping for a miracle.

Yet I was here moping.

This had to be a joke. If anybody ever found out. . .

I tucked the needle snuggly in my hair.

Better kill all the witnesses. I thought, dodging to the side as a spear that some person threw soared past me.

I grabbed unto it and used it to block the sword attack that was chopping down at me.

Kicking the assassin whose sword was now stuck in the spear shaft away from, I rotated the spear and stabbed him in the chest, throwing his body off the weapon and taking his sword.

Spear in my right hand and sword in my left, I evaded attacks, aiming for one shot kills to save time.

The assassins fell like weak ants and I silently thanked my mentors—who were probably planning on killing me—for not training me like a classic professional killer.

After clearing the zone around me and replacing my spear with a saber, I charged out of the encirclement, as usual, cutting down any idiots stupid enough to block me.

Of course I was not without any injuries. I was not indestructible. No, I was a teenager with fluctuating hormones.

Thank my parents for making me.

Assassins were not meant to take hits—again, I'm thankful for my training—they are meant to deliver deadly blows with dangerous accuracy.

So, right now I was riddled with cuts, and feeling a bit dizzy.

I didn't even want to think about how much blood I've lost since the beginning this entire ordeal.

My hands were numb and my thoughts grew scattered and frantic.

The only thing that kept me going was the fact that I was in too deep to turn around.

Odd, I had expected a nauseating voice to pop out of nowhere and say I was doing this for Robin.

Which is not true, by the way. Just an example.

The density of assassins where I was now, was zero to none. All efforts were concentrated on Robin and. . .

I stumbled forward, almost crashing into the pillar in front of me, but succeeded in falling on the floor.

My chest hurt as I took in deep breaths, waiting for my vision to stop swimming.

The sound of familiar footsteps echoed in my head for a minute, and so did a voice.

'I never expected to see you here Shadow.' The achingly familiar voice paused. 'Then again, you always test the limit of my expectations.'

'Slade,' I glared a him as he pulled me up by the shoulder, forcing me stand and drop the saber. I clung to the sword in reluctance.

'Stand down, Shadow.' His grip tightened. The room started spinning again.

'At least see the position you are in.' he continued, his tone oppressive. 'You're not in any condition to fight me.'

Unbeknownst to me, there were now nine assassins, chains in hand, surrounding me.

I let go off the sword, allowing it drop to my feet.

Speaking of my feet, they had been tied together. I didn't even notice but it must have been the reason I fell.

'I wish I didn't have to do this.' Deathstroke sighed, letting me go.

I could barely summon the strength to stand on my own but somehow I managed, looking at him with apprehension as he spoke.

'The Light thinks you have strayed from your predetermined path. So consider this is a lesson you need to learn.' Deathstroke told me softly before walking away.

My eyes widened as I stared at his back. 'W-What are you going to do?'

I staggered after him, afraid of he'd do next, the rope around my legs cut apart by the sword I had dropped earlier.

The nine previously still assassins moved in, their chains wrapping around my limbs and neck, forcing me to my knees while limiting my oxygen supply.

I was bound painfully tight and could barely breath, but my brain had yet to register the amount of damage my body had sustained because my eyes were fixed on what was happening right in front of me.

Slade was walking slowly and silently towards Robin, his katana unsheathed.

My heart pounded against my ribcage torturously as I struggled against my bindings, he couldn't. . .

I sagged helplessly, suspended on the chains as I stared at my mentor.

I can't get free. I thought, distressed.

He was going to kill Robin and make me watch.

I diverted my gaze to the floor and bit my lip.

I regretted letting Robin shoot that dart into my neck that night. I regretted making a promise not to escape and sabotaging Carter's rescue mission.

I wished I could turn back time, even it killed me. I wished I had that power, if only for only a second. . .

I'd wish I never met him.

The chain around my neck yanked my head back up, forcing me to watch.

Tears clouded my eyes but it wasn't from physical pain. Robin still didn't know Deathstroke was behind him.

I needed time.

If I had enough time, I could break away from the chains and help him.

I don't want to lose him too.

He's. . .

My breath caught in my throat and I suddenly felt like I had been dropped into a freezing lake. Slade was now directly behind him.

My body felt frozen as I slowly stood up, ignoring the restrictions in place to keep me still.

Maybe, just this once. . .

I'll be fast enough.

××

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

475K 12.8K 25
Bruce gets a wake up call when Alfred 'accidently' signs him up for foster care. Now Bruce must take care of a teenage girl named Kaine, while still...
743 55 22
Book One in the DON Series. -𝓜𝓐𝓣𝓤𝓡𝓔 -𝓞𝓑𝓢𝓔𝓢𝓢𝓔𝓓 𝓕𝓡𝓞𝓜 𝓑𝓔𝓖𝓘𝓝𝓝𝓘𝓝𝓖 In which a young assassin finds herself kidnapped and held...
981 64 17
Completed June 9th 2015 Rated 14A; profanity, violence, and sexuality. === Gotham city has been torn to pieces, citizens being killed off every momen...
22.3K 514 27
Bruce Wayne meets a mysterious girl, who comes with a lot of problems. Will these problems fade in to romance? Or turn to chaos? {Process of editing...