Finding the Missing Piece: Bo...

By cogdill

Parenthood has finally found Katniss and Peeta Mellark. In this story they are going to be learning to live l... More

Prologue/Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Ninety-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Ninety-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter Ninety-Nine
Chapter One-Hundred
Chapter One Hundred-One/Sequel info.

Chapter Nineteen

2K 99 55
By cogdill

Katniss POV- (A few hours later, about 7pm)

"Let's go get the baby and head to the apartment. I'm sure they're ready for us to be back." Peeta says as we walk back down the paved road together, hand in hand.

The last few hours were spent at the rock pit and then we went hiking too. I fell a few times, scraped up my hands. Peeta freaked out when it happened but I am perfectly fine. I'm just clumsy sometimes-especially out here, if you never noticed.

"You sure you're okay?"

"Peeta, last time we were out here I fell off a horse. I'm pretty sure that scraping my hands makes me perfectly okay."

He sighs deeply, even though nothing happened and Willow seems to be perfectly normal-it's still a rough subject for us both. That was scary enough and we didn't even know I was pregnant, it could've been so much worse but I'm so thankful that it wasn't.

"I wonder if our little baby was good today?" Peeta says.

I smile, "Hope so."

He laughs, "I'm sure she was just fine or else they would've called us."

"I bet she was."

I sigh and we finally make it back to his grandparents house. We go in and see everyone is already in bed except his grandma who stayed up with Willow.

I feel bad because I didn't realize that they'd usually be in bed already, even though it's 7pm and we usually stay up until 10 or later.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You should've called us." I say feeling guilty.

"Don't worry about it. I usually stay up later than those two ever do anyways. Plus, I got to spend some extra time spoiling her." His grandma smiles proudly.

I honestly missed Willow so much today while we were on our little date. I smile widely and my heart feels the kind of happy it does everytime I see her.

"Was she a handful?" He laughs a little.

"Oh, not too bad. Katniss, I'm afraid Willow here is gonna act like her Daddy did when he was little. Maybe you were the same?"

"How's that?"

"Sweet and very well-behaved."

I almost scoff when she says it, "I definitely was not that." I admit.

I was more of the stubborn, never-smiling, mischievous one.

"Well, you're like that now." Peeta winks at me and then pecks my lips.

I smile, "Hopefully she acts like Peeta all the time." I say truthfully.

The world needs more people like him, not like me.

Peeta scoffs and shakes his head at me and his grandma just chuckles softly.

"Well, we will let you get to bed and we will be in the apartment. When did she eat last?" Peeta asks, gathering her things.

"She ate about thirty minutes ago and fell asleep after that." She tells us.

"Great. Thank you so much for watching her. I think Katniss and I really needed this, so thank you." Peeta hugs her.

"No problem. You guys are welcome anytime and I'll be happy to babysit. Come by for some breakfast before you leave in the morning." His grandma says, kissing Peeta's cheek.

He nods, "Ready, Katniss?" He asks.

I nod and we go.

I lay Willow in the middle of the king sized bed and put pillows around her so she won't roll off, even though she doesn't roll around but you never know. Then Peeta and I climb up to the loft together, still able to see Willow from the top, thankfully.

He sets two beanbags down in the middle of the loft and we crawl over to them and plop down.

"Well, this isn't as fun sitting in these now." I laugh.

He reaches over and scoops me up pulls me into his lap, "How bout now?" He whispers, his nose pressed up against my ear.

"Better. A lot better." I smirk, shivering as his breaths warm my whole being.

His arms snake around my waist and he presses soft kisses to my neck.

"You know, it's almost our anniversary." Peeta says.

"It is. It doesn't even seem possible for us to already have been married a year." I say.

He sighs and hesitantly pulls back from me, face to face.

"I know I made this last year difficult and I'm so sorry about that. It was never intentional at all and I'll forever regret it but it's also been one of the best years of my life."

"Peeta, you don't have to apologize for this year. You helped make me a mom and that was the best things that came out of it. I was hurt a lot but you were hurting too and all that matters is that we are better now. Remember that no matter what we go through, as long as we stick together, it'll eventually get better." I say to him.

He gives me a sad smile, "Willow is the greatest gift anyone's ever given me, Katniss. She's perfect and I love you both so much and I'm going to be here for both of you, always. I promise that I will never stop working on making you two the happiest in the world." He assures me.

"That's all that I ask and I am working on it too for the both of you." I say truthfully.

"Thank you." Peeta smiles.

I nod my head.

"Anyways...What now?" He asks, poking my tummy.

"Not that." I say.

No need for more tickle-fights.

"We could talk about what we can do on our anniversary." Peeta suggests.

"What do you have in mind?" I ask.

"Actually, I have nothing. It's all up to you."

"Could we do something as a family?" I ask him in hopes.

"Of course."

I shrug my shoulders and look at him.

"We could plan a trip to Four."

I make a face, "Can we wait until she's a little older before we go there?"

"Yeah." He says nonchalantly.

I sigh, "I'm not good at this stuff..."

"Me either."

"Sweetie, the last few years, you've planned nearly every single date we've ever went on."

"So? You've helped with a few."

I sigh, "How about we stay home together?"

"We do that everyday." Peeta laughs.

"Or I guess I could have Bristol or Annie watch her for the day?"

"Whatever you want."

I sigh, "Maybe Rue could watch her?"

"Yeah, she is 16 now...Isn't she?"

I nod, "Almost seventeen." I sigh.

"Well, if you want we can. I don't have a problem with it."

"Okay, I bet she would like that a lot. Especially since I don't think she knows we had a baby."

"Surprise." He laughs.

I smile sadly at him.

I wish Prim could be the one to watch after her-as much as I love Rue, I wish Prim was here.

She was suppose to be the one who got someone like Peeta and had kids and lived happily ever after-not me.

"She'll be so excited." He assures me and wraps his arms around my shoulder and pulls me into a side hug.

Even though Rue's excitement was not at all what I was thinking about and he knows it too.

I lay my head on his shoulder and he rubs little circles into my back.

"Quit thinking about what I know you're thinking about. You're just thinking yourself into sadness." Peeta blurts out.

I look up at him, "I'm sorry." I sigh.

"It's okay, I just don't want you to deal with that. Especially not since you've been a lot happier lately."

I shrug, "I'm sure it's the meds."

"And that we have a beautiful life, okay?"

I nod my head.

"Sorry." I shake my head, trying to shake the thoughts when I realize he was 100% right about what he just said and I have to agree with him.

"It's fine. I think about it a lot too. With all three of them." He says, talking about his brothers and Prim as well.

"I know that you do." I admit.

He thinks about it about like I do.

A lot more than we should-for any of our sakes.

"But that's okay, we have each other and Willow and I don't think we need anything but."

"I agree but it would be nice to-"

Peeta's deep voice cuts me off, "I know it would."

I sigh deeply and replace my head on his shoulder.

"I just really love you, Peeta."

"I love you too." He replies.

We sit in silence for a bit before he speaks up, "Are you asleep?"

"No."

"Okay."

I hold back a laugh but smile just the same.

"What?" He smirks at me, realizing I'm smiling.

I shake my head, "Nothing. You're just sweet."

"Well, thank ya." Peeta laughs.

I laugh a little, "I think it's cute how much you've growth since junior year. I mean your face is still the same but you just have a lot of facial hair."

He scoffs, "Facial hair..."

I giggle and he playfully punches my arm, "You've just gotten...I'm trying to find the words-"

"Fatter and more homeless looking?" I suggest.

He laughs, "No. I want to say more beautiful but again I've always thought it couldn't get better and I am not sure how to say it...Maybe you've matured more?"

I sigh, "You have too. Time and tragedy have forced us both to grow up." I say bluntly.

"That's true." Peeta shrugs.

"Oh well. The only thing that matters is that with everything we've been through we are still together and that we stay together no matter what." I say.

"Good. I agree." He gives me a cheesy grin.

"You're a brat. Did you know that?"

"I did. Did you know that you're one too?"

I laugh, "I did know that."

"You're dumb."

"You're dumber."

"Well, you're dumberererer."

"I must not be that dumb because that sir, is not a word."

He chuckles and shakes his head, "You got me there."

I smile and lean forward and peck his lips.

I pull away.

"What was that for?"

"Because I love you and I wanted a way to sweet talk you into letting us go to bed."

He smiles, "Then let's go."

"Willow can sleep between us." I say as we make it down to the bedroom. Willow is still fast asleep-adorable as ever. I change her diaper and change her into a jumper and of course, she never realizes.

We get all situated as we are both falling asleep I hear her little coos.

Happy coos of course.

Peeta reaches over and turns the lamp on.

I smirk, "Are you saying you're ready to play since you haven't seen us much today?" I ask her.

She gives me a grin and then looks towards Peeta.

He smiles softly at her, "It is a good thing you're cute."

Willow lets out a loud shriek and I sit up and look down at her.

It's crazy how she's already got us both figured out. What we will do and what we won't do or what Peeta will do and I won't, it's funny.

She has a special cry she uses when she just wants him to hold her and let me tell you-she uses it a lot. I can distinguish it from her real cry. Peeta just thinks 'Hey, she's really upset. I'll pick her up so it'll stop ' and of course it solves the problem. Usually, I'll pick her up too, unless I can tell it's just because she does not want to participate in tummy time-which is nearly all the time.

Before I know it, I can't help myself.

I fall asleep to the sound of Willow and Peeta talking back and forth to each other and my heart feels so full and happy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 5.2K 29
Katniss and Peeta Mellark is now parents to two beautiful baby girls, Riley and Rebecca. But what happens when Peeta gets a call back overseas and ha...
8.5K 206 17
My own Mockingjay post book Katniss has been slowly losing herself. Along with a lot of people after the war. She isolates herself and neglects every...
4K 52 14
Katniss has survived the Quarter Quell. Barely. She has woken up to a world at war, expected to take on the role of the Mockingjay. But the choice to...
146K 2.8K 30
Two years after winning the hunger games, victors Katniss and Peeta are still working hard to keep up their on screen love story. Katniss is trying...