The Bet

By hannah-vo

What if the only thing seperating you from your crush was a kiss? Amy never thought that she would be hanging... More

Chapter 1 - What Just Happened?
Chapter 2 - Feigning Sleep and Forcing Calm
Chapter 3 - Don't Worry, Be Happy
Chapter 4 - Bye Bitch
Chapter 5 - Thump Thump, Major Bump
Chapter 6 - Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right
Chapter 7 - Third Time's the Charm
Chapter 8 - Damsel in Distress
Chapter 9 - Cheers for the End of Tears
Chapter 11 - Confessions Time
Chapter 12 - Escape Clause
Chapter 13 - Why did the Cafe have to be Empty?
Chapter 14 - When You Assume You Make an Ass out of You and Me
Chapter 15 - Hello Mr. Hot-Pizza-Delivery Guy
Chapter 16 - Horror Movies are Scary
Chapter 17 - Free Subscriptions to Chris's Personal Life!
Chapter 18 - Don't Revelations Suck?
Chapter 19 - Just Friends
Chapter 20 - The Uninvited Guest
Chapter 21 - Who Would You Rather Go on a Date With?
Chapter 22 - The Two Things You Must Do
Chapter 23 - The Date
Chapter 24 - The Party [part 1.]
Chapter 25 - The Party [part 2.]
Chapter 26 - In Search of Mr. Mysterious
Chapter 27 - Out of the Closet and into the Open
Chapter 28 - Out of My Mind, Out of My Home
Chapter 29 - It All Just Clicked
Chapter 30 - A Side Order of Explanation
Chapter 31 - A Tie?

Chapter 10 - Goodnight

117K 1.8K 369
By hannah-vo

HEY GUYS! THIS STORY IS UP FOR UNDISCOVERED>ROMANCE ON THE WATTY AWARDS! PLEASE MAKE SURE TO V-O-T-E!! <3 THANKS! 

Chapter 10

                Chris pushed the door open to Amy’s home and flicked on the switch as if he’d known where it was from the start. Amy just shook her head in disbelief as tiny rain drops flew off of the ends of her hair.

                He threw off his shoes and headed towards the kitchen, opening the freezer first and finding some frozen chicken nuggets to eat. He shook the box as Amy looked towards him in awe. Okay, she’d seen him plenty in the last few days. But now, with his white shirt clinging to his muscles, his hair patted to his forehead and his jeans faded in just the right places, well it was hard not to get another wave of amazement at his good looks.

                Chris looked up from the box and threw them onto a plate, coming out with a measly four of them that poured out. “You don’t eat anything, do you?” he said in a joking voice, slightly amazed at the thought.

                “Who do you think ate the rest of that box,” she replied sarcastically, placing her head on her open palm. She was happy to just sit here. Never in a million years had Amy thought that she’d have the most athletic, good looking and popular guy over for dinner.

                He shifted his weight, mumbling that she was too small to have eaten it all by herself when Amy chimed in, interrupting his thoughts, “Well excuse me but I am not that small,” she said in a challenging voice.

                Chris looked her over, laughing. “My ten year old brother is bigger than you.”

                “Ha ha,” she said sarcastically. Amy looked over Chris bemusedly and chuckled again. It was hard not to laugh when such a goofy grin spread across his face so easily. Amy suddenly felt strange. Sort of like this kind of friendship wasn’t supposed to happen between two people of their social standings.

                But just as the feeling had come, she stuffed it back down again.

                “Are you going to make me dinner?” she asked with a smile, not expecting him to say yes as she nodded down to the chicken nuggets.

                Chris looked dazed and laughed, “Yeah, sure,” he said smartly and Amy propped her head to the side in amusement. She had to see this. Amy couldn’t really imagine someone she’d only ever seen eat, cook.

                “Um, Amy,” he started uncertainly, looking around the kitchen as if it were a blur, “What do I put these in?”

                Amy pointed towards the oven but Chris still looked confused. She shook her head again, “Have you ever cooked anything?” she said a slightly too unsurprised tone.

                Chris shook his head. Of course he hasn’t, Amy thought to herself with an inner laugh to try and spare his feelings just this once. “It’s fine. Go watch TV or something,” she said in a light voice. She didn’t really mind cooking. It was just weird that she had to cook for herself and someone else. On rare occasions, her mom would come home for lunch – but even then, Amy wouldn’t cook, her mother would.

                Chris handed her the food and went to open a cupboard for forks and napkins, “I’ll set the table,” he said, not liking the idea of being thrust to the side and left without any of the responsibilities.

                Amy sighed with a bemused shrug. Chris was definitely growing on her.

                It was half an hour before Amy had made dinner. On top of the chicken nuggets, she’d made salad and spaghetti, figuring that a football player probably ate a lot more than she did.

                Sure enough, Chris ate all of the food – without exception. She couldn’t even spot a measly crumb on his plate. Not one. Amy smiled with each time and caught herself blushing as she watched him inhale the meal like it was oxygen. She’d never seen someone eat like that.

                After dinner, Amy brought the plates to the dishwasher and Chris helped her rinse them off before sticking them in and lining them up. All these chores felt so natural to her but so awkward when there was someone else to help. She hadn’t lived with anyone let alone done the dishes with anyone is at least three months. She hadn’t really even thought about how that had changed her lifestyle so drastically.

                Amy pushed her blonde hair behind her ear and groaned. The day’s events had finally caught up to her as she peered at the wall clock. Outside was already dark, the moon as a half and the stars shining through the clouds that loomed over the night sky like the chandelier in a ballroom.

                “Chris,” she said, reading the little hand on the ten and the big hand on the six, “It’s ten thirty already. You better get home before your mom wonders where you are.”

                Chris shook his head, letting the flecks of florescent light from the kitchen light his brown mane, “I already told her I was staying over at a friend’s. She trusts me.”

                Amy looked at him wryly, “Excuse me?” she asked, placing her hands on her hips. Her parents had never told her she couldn’t have a boy over but it didn’t stop Amy from thinking that it was more than a little irresponsible and immature, not to mention weird.

                Chris’s face dawned with recognition, “Oh, shit, sorry. Amy, can I stay over?” he asked, shaking his head for forgetting to ask his hostess before assuming that he was staying over. Amy could still see that he’d assumed that he was still going to stay over anyways.

                She shook her head with a frown, “No.”

                Chris’s lips dropped with a groan, “What? Why can’t I stay?”

                Amy licked her lips as a yawn escaped, “Because, you are a boy and I can’t have boys over,” she stated, adding to her point because she knew it would take more than that to discourage Chris, “Plus, what will everyone think if we show up together at school tomorrow?”

                He smiled smartly at her, “I don’t care about my reputation that much.”

                Amy sighed reluctantly, “But I do. And I don’t want to go from geek and invisible to accepted to one of your little girlfriends.”

Chris clutched his chest as if that had actually hurt, making a big scene that one could only really see at the end of one of Shakespeare’s plays. Yet even though he pretended that he didn’t care in the slightest, Amy could see beneath that act, “I don’t think people care that much to label you one of my ‘little girlfriends’,” he quoted reassuringly.

“Are you kidding?” Amy asked with a laugh. Chris didn’t know much about the rumour mill, did he? She remarked to herself. It was funny that someone so talked about didn’t know that he was being talked about in the first place, “You are all anyone talks about.”

Chris blushed and rolled his eyes, “No one talks about me. You are just exaggerating,” he said with a smile and a glance towards the window to see the darkness that lay just outside Amy’s home.

Amy shook her head awkwardly, “Trust me, I am truly not,” she concluded with a yawn and another glance at the wall clock, “And that means, that you have to go home.”

“But I can’t get home because I left my car there,” he pointed out to Amy’s dismay. She didn’t really have anything to say to that; their houses were quite far apart and she didn’t trust him to walk alone even with his bulky muscles and speed.

Amy’s eyes wavered as she tried to find another point in her defence but it was clear that Chris was winning. Before she could retreat and push him out the door with a strong look that screamed “No way!”, he contorted his features into a puppy dog face that pouted lazily at Amy.

His brown eyes teased her as she thought she saw a tear brimming at the side. Amy paused momentarily before she gave in with a loud and losing sigh, “Fine. You can stay, but only for one night,” she said firmly, waving her finger in front of his face as she went to lock the front door and lead his upstairs.

Amy showed him the guest room which had always seemed a bit silly to her considering her family was never even home so that it could be used because there was always theirs as a spare. But now Amy smiled at it. It finally came to good use.

“You can borrow one of my dad’s shirts to sleep in if you want,” she said, slumping over to her parents’ room and grabbing a large white shirt. She tossed it at Chris, leaving before she could see if he’d caught it.

*okay guys... I know this is a bit unorthodox but I’m going to go into their P.O.Vs to show their thoughts better*

Amy’s P.O.V

That stupid puppy dog face. It was my stupid little nerve. And with his big brown and adorable eyes, how could I refuse? Chris was growing on me and I wasn’t sure if I was comfortable with this new development. We’d only made that bet about a week ago... and now he was staying over at my house, in the room next to mine, in his underwear probably, and waiting for the morning to see me again.

It sounded too weird but I actually think that me and the star quarter back were actually friends.

Okay, so maybe I was a little too blown away with the idea. It just had never occurred to me that in a million years, this would happen. The situation was just so rare and bizarre.

Amy pulled the brush through her tangled blonde hair in thought. All these thoughts that revolved in my head made me sound like a wanna-be when I obviously couldn’t care in the least who my friends were and how we were regarded by the rest of the school. But I’m not. I swear.

“Hey, Amy?” Chris called before knocking on the door and breaking me free of my thoughts. I rolled my eyes. Wasn’t it enough that he was already staying at my house? What else could he possible want from me?

I clenched my jaw tightly and opened the door to peek through. I gasped lightly when I saw what he was wearing – er... not wearing. “Yes?” I tried to say although all that came out was a muster, and keep my eyes on his instead of falling down.

“Night,” he said quickly, giving me a small smile and then walking back into his room for the night.

I smiled, “Night, Chris,” watching him shut the door behind himself and go to sleep.

Okay, that was oddly cute.

I shut the mirror cabinet after brushing my teeth and filling a glass of water to bring with me back to my room. I flicked off my light and cuddled myself as far deep down into the covers that I could. Soft, warm, and ready to accept me in a sleepy peace that was already starting to pull me in.

*Chris’s P.O.V

Amy was pretty when she slept. Not that she wasn’t when she was awake, but it was nice to see her like this too. She looked like a child as opposed to the mature exterior she’d thrown over herself every time that I’d seen her. Somehow this felt more like her than the girl I’d first met.

But her appearance wasn’t everything. Somehow, I think she brought out the more real side of me too. She was just so open-minded about things, so realistic. Around my friends I was this obnoxious guy that got any girl he wanted. Sure, the any girl thing was still awesome, but it felt good to be able to be someone different around her too.

I stepped cautiously, hoping that the floor boards didn’t groan. Yeah, it was creepy that I was in her room. But I could tell that she was falling for me – or at least responding to my flirting. That had to mean something, right?

I looked around her room. It was too dark for me to see anything like I’d planned. I had just wanted to find something, a book maybe, to be able to talk to her about. She wasn’t like my friends who were happy with just joking around. I already knew that she was way to mature for that. And sports were definitely out of the question. I’d never seen her at one of our games and I’d played thousands of times.

Amy murmured in the softest voice I’d ever heard and so I headed towards her, checking to make sure that she was still asleep.

I bit my lip, hoping that my wild groaning didn’t wake her up. Lindsay had always said that I breathed too heavily when I was nervous. But I’d just thought she’d said that because she’d liked to point out my flaws to make me look better in front of her friends.

Amy was really quite pretty. She reminded me of my ex girlfriend, but she didn’t look as bitchy or as mean.

I sat on Amy’s bed, tracing the shadow across her cheek bone before crawling over beside her and throwing an arm around her. She snuggled closer to me and I began to choke from trying not to huff and cough. I just wanted to see her, to hold her. This was not part of the plan.

I tried to pull away, carefully at first, realizing that this girl was way stronger than I’d thought. I couldn’t pull away and since I didn’t want to wake her and let her think that I’m a creep, I sat there for a minute.

“Amy?” I demanded in a whisper of a voice, “Amy?” I tried again.

“Yeasshh,” she slurred. I froze. Was she awake?! Her face was still devoid of worry so I assumed that she was just sleep talking.

“Amy, let go,” I muttered, “Please let go.”

“Do oo haft a go?” she asked, nudging her chin towards me with a pout, “No, stay...” she whined.

I stopped prying at her hands for a second. “You want me to stay?” I asked, my eyes opening to their full extent. I couldn’t exactly just leave her now that she’d said that.

“Mhmm...” she said, pulling me closer.

I wriggled in beside her. “If you say so,” I said, tugging her hips towards me and her legs to wrap around mine.

Okay, so maybe that wasn’t the best thing to do. But I wasn’t one to refuse girls, no matter what they asked of me. I let the breath leak from my lungs in quiet submission. Night, Amy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.1K 875 41
Kendall has extreme trust issues which influences her to hurt the one who loves her most, her boyfriend Michael. Together their like a natural disast...
320K 12K 41
Would you accept a challenge if it would hurt someone? That's the question that was on Alison's mind. She got dared to seduce a girl at a party. Beca...
717K 19.6K 101
I've gotten used to the dead parents face. I've gotten used to living with my gymnastics coach. I've even adjusted to sharing a bathroom with his way...
1.9K 96 24
We all want love. But finding it is easier said then done. Sometimes we need to make a little bet with a friend to push us in the right detection to...