Finding the Missing Piece: Bo...

By cogdill

Parenthood has finally found Katniss and Peeta Mellark. In this story they are going to be learning to live l... More

Prologue/Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Ninety-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Ninety-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter Ninety-Nine
Chapter One-Hundred
Chapter One Hundred-One/Sequel info.

Chapter Eight

2.1K 123 31
By cogdill

Peeta POV- (That weekend)

"Well, hello there." My grandma says as I hand her a sleeping Willow for the very first time.

My great-grandma cries as she looks over at her great-great-grandchild.

"She's so beautiful." She tells us softly, shakily.

I smile and Katniss gives my hand a squeeze and we stare at the sight.

I know that my dad and brother's would've fallen in love with Willow too.

"Besides her hair, she looks like you did when you were a baby." My grandma tells me excitedly.

I smile and Katniss kisses my shoulder and examines the sight too-looking over my shoulder.

"What color are her eyes?" My great-grandma asks.

"Blue." Katniss comments, beating me to it.

"You did a beautiful job, Katniss." My grandpa pats her on the back and she just laughs a little and smiles.

"Thank you."

"She is just precious." My grandma coos.

I laugh a little and exchange a smirk with Katniss.

"Oh, I think she's waking up." My grandma says, almost jumping out of her skin.

I can't help but to laugh a little as I see Willow squirming around in her blanket.

She doesn't like being all swaddled up but she's definitely easier to hold with how tiny she is.

"How much did she weigh?" My grandpa asks.

"8 pounds, 3 ounces." Katniss says and his eyes widen.

"She's a tiny thing for being that big." He says.

I nod, "She may be tiny but she eats like a baby pig. Right, Katniss?"

She scoffs, "That's the truth."

"Oh! There they are." My great-grandma says excitedly and points to her eyes as she opens them.

Katniss smiles widely and laughs a little at their excitement, I join her.

"Just like Peeta's."

"All but the hair, that's definitely Katniss's."

"She's a beautiful little thing."

My grandma smiles, "Finally, a granddaughter."

"Great granddaughter." I remind her.

"So, I have a great-great granddaughter then. I'm old." My great-grandma chuckles and puts her frail hand over her heart.

We all just watch her and minutes later, Willow starts babbling away.

"Oh, you're too little to make this much noise." Grandma snickers.

"Yeah, she figured that out the first day." Katniss laughs.

"She's going to be talking your heads off the by the time she's a year old!" My grandpa comments.

I can't wait for the next year, we get to see her do so many things like walk or talk and crawl and I'm so looking forward to it all.

That's why I am in no hurry to start the bakery up and why I am actually kind of stalling, because as much as I want the bakery, Willow is more important and I wanted her more.

And Katniss gave her to me.

"Hello, Willow." My grandma says sweetly, rubbing her head.

"Oh! Are you gonna cross your eyes?" She laughs as I guess Willow does that exactly.

"She definitely is good at making faces too." I inform them.

"Yeah, I just got some big, wide eyes." She chuckles.

"You'll have to come out soon. She is going to love that place when she gets a little older. Just like you did." My grandpa says.

"Yeah, I'll have to take Katniss on a date and bring Willow along too."

"I would love to babysit while you two had a date." Grandma says with a wink.

"We will have to do that once it gets warmer out." I decide.

"You're all welcome out there anytime." Grandpa says.

"Oh! You're so cute but you look just like your Dad it's a little scary!" My grandma teases.

Katniss giggles.

She loves that Willow does in fact look like me and I guess that I do too.

Every time someone mentions it, I can't help but to feel so happy and proud.

Willow gets passed around until she eventually ends up in Katniss's arms.

She stares up at us.

"Hey, baby." I smile and she blinks her blue eyes.

My grandma sighs, "I just wish my other boys could be here to see Willow."

I frown, "I do too. I think they would've fallen in love." I admit.

"She would've been wrapped around your dad's finger. I know he's looking down now at you three. And so proud to be a grandfather, I'm sure."

"I sure hope so."

My grandpa tears up, "I just know you're making him proud. You're already a perfect father."

This makes me tear up, "Thanks, Grandpa. I learned from the best and my dad learned it all from you."

"I appreciate that. Just know that I'm proud of you and so is he. And I'm sure Ryan and David are beaming with pride too."

I smile sadly as a tear rolls down my cheek.

Katniss takes my hand and gives it a squeeze.

"I'm just glad you all get to know her." I say truthfully.

My grandparents saved me when I was a kid and I'm eternally grateful for that.

If anyone deserves to know Willow, it's them.

Eventually, my grandparents go back home and Katniss, Willow and I are once again all alone.

Nearly everyone has come over this week since this is the week Katniss agreed to have visitors again.

Bristol will be coming over in a few days too, she's been busy at work and with Carter so she hasn't been able to make it.

I also know that Katniss has kind of been hoping her mother would just show up out of the blue too. But she and I both know if she were to do that, someone would've had to tell her about Willow even being here so soon. But also I know Katniss would refuse to let her see Willow and have a huge fit.

She knows it too but I don't blame her for any of it.

I don't blame her for wanting to see her mother after all this and I wouldn't blame her for throwing a HUGE fit either.

"Hey, Willow needs her bath and then we need to feed her." Katniss instructs me as she cleans up from dinner.

I down look at Willow who's just sitting in my lap watching Katniss wash dishes from across the kitchen.

"Mommy, we don't like baths." I complain for Willow.

"Sorry."

I laugh a little, "I tried." I say to Willow and she just glances up at me.

"I wish she would start smiling." Katniss says, turning around a quick second, then returning to washing dishes.

"She will soon." I assure her.

I've gotten her close a few times but she really doesn't express anything but through her facial expressions which are usually stink faces and widening of the eyes.

"I hope she has your smile too, Peeta."  Katniss says.

"Why?" I make a face.

"Because it's my favorite thing." She smiles.

I smile involuntarily.

"See." She smiles.

"But your smile is one of favorite things and so is your hair and she has one of two things so far and who knows, she may have your personality because she definitely has your facial expressions." I laugh.

She sighs, "Poor kid."

I laugh and shake my head at her.

"Bath time, Willow."

"At least she hasn't cried like the first time she had a bath." I add.

Katniss nods as she kneels down and starts stripping her down.

She's better at giving her a bath.

So, while Katniss bathes her, I grab her new clothes and a diaper and a towel to wrap her up in and it's a system that works well for the few times we've done it since she's been here.

Last time she cried but only for a few minutes. I don't blame her though, baths aren't too fun.

Katniss soon finishes and hands me our slippery baby as I wrap a warm towel around her little body and hold her tight.

"That wasn't too bad, was it?" I ask her as her hair wets down my shirt when she lays her head on my shoulder and rubs her little nose into my shirt.

I chuckle and press a kiss to her head and then to Katniss's.

"Let's go get you dressed and fed and let's go to bed. I'm sleepy." Katniss yawns, kissing the back of her head and then my lips.

We go do just that and she wakes just hours later crying.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7K 408 36
This is a story about Everlark. Here is my own interpretation of how Peeta and Katniss realistically rekindle after Mockingjay Part 2, but with a twi...
318K 13.6K 101
Katniss and Peeta, now engaged, are heading off to college to begin their Forever and Always. They have gone through a lot but they now have a fresh...
3.1K 56 32
On a hot June day a small toddler wanders into the bakery with no adult, being alone Katniss and Peeta look after her while they try and find a paren...
64.1K 1.9K 27
It's been 15 years since the revolution and Katniss finds out that she is pregnant. But when Peeta leaves on business, how will Katniss cope by herse...