Girl who Speaks to Birds

By Nerd-Bird

I never expected this to happen. But it did. Who knew that rescuing a broken winged canary would lead to me b... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Author's Note
FOR ALL OF YOU WHO ENJOYED THIS BOOK
UPDATES, NEWS, AND A NEW BOOK

Chapter 17

1.7K 164 24
By Nerd-Bird

"I'm Madelyn." I replied.

"I know. And I know what happened."

I suddenly felt quite invaded. "Don't you dare go searching through my mind."

He smirked. "But there's so much I don't know about you."

"Ashlea, how do I stop crazy here from invading my mind?"

"I heard that."

"Just imagine a wall covering your thoughts and memories."

"So you do know. May I ask how?"

"I'll tell you once that Tyler stops reading your mind."

"Alrighty then."

I focused on an image of a brick wall. I imagined it wrapping around my mind, guarding my thoughts, emotions, and feeling from any prying eyes.

"Did it it work?" I asked him. He nodded.

"Now are you going to tell me?"

"Long story short, I was a shifter spirit for a boy and this demented guy with powers was trying to find out how he could shift. I had to figure it out myself."

"Okay."

I sighed, looking out through the wire of the cage. Scientists clad in white strolled through the hallways, taking notes as they passed shifter after shifter. I glared at them, then looked away.

"Those jerks."

"Indeed."

My stomach growled hungrily, probably from all the flying that I had done. It had taken a lot out of me. I wanted to sleep, but who knew what those scientists would do while I was sleeping? Even though I knew it would tempt me to sleep, I was cold, so I wrapped my wings around me. I glanced at Trinity, who had done the same.

"I hate this." I muttered "Why do they want to do this to us?"

"Probably because they think we're freaks of nature." said a voice behind me, and I knew it was Tyler. I looked behind myself to look at him.

"Do you have a plan to get us out of this mess, Tyler? If not, then I'd keep my mouth shut if I were you. I'm not exactly pleased at our current situation."

I heard him mutter "Well, it's your fault you're in this mess. Actually, it's your fault all of the shifters are in this mess."

I resisted the urge to shift into a hummingbird, open his cage and punch the crap out of him. Wait...

I had just gotten an idea.

Sadly, I couldn't put my plan into action, as those scientists were quickly approaching my cage. They took notes quickly, and stopped at Tyler's cage. I watched as they scrawled information in those notebooks of theirs. Then they walked over to my cage.

"Madelyn Ruth," began one of the men. How did they even know my name? "Follow us, it is time for your interrogation."

My stomach did a flip. "I-interrogation?"

He nodded, opening the cage door. I stepped out, trembling in fear. He shoved me forward, and I could see a tazer in his hand. I kept looking behind myself, fearful that painful waves of electricity would overtake me. I saw faces looking desperately through their cages, and I shivered in fear. I bit at my nails; they were extremely short. Soon, we reached a white room.

"Sit down." he commanded. I nodded, sitting down.

I trembled, and waves of dominance radiated from the man. He was not one to be messed with; I could tell.

"So, Mrs. Ruth," he began in a cruel, tone "How do you have those wings of yours?"

"Should I tell him?"

"No. Pretend you don't know."

"I-I don't know sir. O-one day I just t-turned into a c-canary, a-and when I t-turned back, I-I was like this."

"Good fake stuttering."

"Thanks."

After a brief moment or two of silence, the man spoke again, his loud voice echoing through the room. "Freak, you don't fool me! Tell me how you transform!"

To be honest, I didn't know everything there was to know about shifting. All I knew was; imagine the bird, I become it. But I did know that much, and I took all my self-control not to shout at him 'I'll never tell!'

Thank goodness I didn't. Though it pained me to do it, I kept my act of playing dumb.

"S-sir, I don't know. I-I'm sorry. If I knew, I'd tell you. P-please don't h-hurt me."

He grabbed his tazer, aiming it at me. "I swear if you don't tell me, I will use this on you."

I was about to tell him when Ashlea took control.

"Never." she made me say.

"Ashlea, stop it."

"Madelyn, stop it. Do you really want your cowardice to spell death for all the shifters? Shush."

I mentally sighed, watching what was going on.

"Oh, but that implies that you know. Tell me. Now."

"Never." snarled Ashlea.

The man used the tazer. I didn't feel the pain, but chances were, Ashlea had.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

After a few moments, Ashlea replied "Yeah, I'm fine. You know what they say; pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Who said that?"

"Don't know. Don't care."

"Tell me, you freak, and punishment will not be given. You know, so tell me. Now."

"Why would I tell you, you sorry excuse for a person?" snarled Ashlea.

Another shot of the tazer was sent through my body, but I did not feel it.

The question was repeated again and again, and more shocks were sent through my body. Honestly, I was surprised he hadn't killed me yet.

"He's still hoping that he can get the answer out of you. At least, that's my guess, and the most probable answer."

"Ashlea, it's been hours. When can I have control back?"

"After interrogation is over. I can't risk the secrets being revealed. Imagine how chaotic the world would be if the humans learned that magic exists."

I mentally sighed for the millionth time that afternoon. "Alright."

Eventually, he grew tired of not getting answers.

"More interrogation tomorrow. Back to your cage."

Control was given back to me, and it felt so good to be able to move on my own again. They took me back to my cage, where many hopeless faces awaited me. Not Tyler or Trinity's, but pretty much everyone else.

"We'll get everyone out of here. Just wait."

A/N- I'm going to be updating daily, but on sunday, NO UPDATE TIME begins. That's because I'm going on vacation, and while I'll have my laptop, I'm not entirely sure they have wifi. If they do, then updates will be consistent like always. If not, then you're going to have to wait. Sorry. :3

Also, thanks for the votes and comments! I appreciate them!

I've got to go, but I'll see you all in the comments! Bye for now!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 3.4K 30
Let me tell you an old story a new and see how well you know it. Maleficent, hurt, betrayed and wingless by Stephan, who he had trusted him by paid d...
610 37 28
Dovelyn isn't your average teenage girl. Secrets were kept and lies were told. Will Dovelyn be able to defeat the darkness? Who will she loose in the...
979K 88.7K 74
Sequel to Upon Wings Of Change. The dragonets are flourishing; both those in the park and those helping the Kymari. As the first dragonets to hatch...
388K 15.8K 61
//first place Inkitt winner// DEDICATED TO THE MBR BEAGLES AND ALL ANIMALS BRED, SOLD, TORTURED AND SLAUGHTERED AT THE HANDS OF VIVISECTION!! When th...