Feeding Frenzy (Watty Award W...

Galing kay MaajaWentz

*Watty Winner* & *Featured Story* WITCHES - NECROMANCERS - INAPPROPRIATE TABLE MANNERS. The three-hundred-yea... Higit pa

Feeding Frenzy: Rise of the Necromancer
Awakening
Leaf Pendant (New Chapter!)
Priya
Team Spirit: Chapter One
Home?
Peru and Ninjas: Chapter Three
Man vs. Nature: Chapter Four
Tied up and Locked Out: Chapter Five
Fries with that? Chapter Six
Gruesome Preserves: Chapter Seven
Lunch With a Zombie: Chapter Eight
It's Toast: Chapter Nine
Food Coma: Chapter Ten
Eating Contest: Chapter Eleven
Coimetrophobia (Fear of Cemeteries): Chapter Twelve
October 31: Chapter Thirteen
Hairs and Homework: Chapter Fourteen
Plan B: Chapter Fifteen
Booties: Chapter Sixteen
Lunkhead: Chapter Seventeen
Hero Costume: Chapter Eighteen
What's Worse Than Snakes? Chapter Nineteen
Bang: Chapter Twenty
Caught: Chapter Twenty-One
Asleep at the Wheel: Chapter Twenty-Two
You Can't Go Home: Chapter Twenty-Three
Fighting for Java: Chapter Twenty-Four
What is Forever? Chapter Twenty-Five
Entity Rising: Chapter Twenty-Six
Ducky to the Rescue: Chapter Twenty-Seven
In Flames: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Ducky Hunting: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Collateral Damage: Chapter Thirty
Worst Fears: Chapter Thirty-One
Ducky, The Other White Meat: Chapter Thirty-Two
Priya Surprise: Chapter Thirty-Three
Who Are You? Chapter Thirty-Four
'To Serve and Protect,' and Serve: Chapter Thirty-Five
Smells Like Mean Spirit: Chapter Thirty-Six
Blue Cheese Sandwich: Chapter Thirty-Seven
Bacchic Lard Fest: Chapter Thirty-Eight
Breakdown Sandwich: Chapter Thirty-Nine
Poutine Not Riots: Chapter Forty-One
Putting out Fire with Gasoline: Chapter Forty-Two
Into the Volcano: Chapter Forty-Three
The Scene of her Crime: Chapter Forty-Four
Buried Alive: Chapter Forty-Five
The Entity Has Risen: Chapter Forty-Six
Showdowns Gone Wild: Chapter Forty-Seven
Best Frenemies: Chapter Forty-Eight 'A'
Emergency: Chapter Forty-Eight 'B'
Tar and Bubbles: Chapter Forty-Nine
A New Kind of Magic: Chapter Fifty
Your Access to the Published Version
Watty Award!!!
More new free fiction
Blasted Bloomers, Prequel to Feeding Frenzy
Upcoming Appearances & Publications
Season's Greetings 2017 - 2018!
Launching in March!!!
I'm Your New Ambassador!
It's alive! It's alive!
Book Launch Pics
Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine....
Double Dead Magic = Book 2!

Hard to Stomach: Chapter Forty

1.1K 120 14
Galing kay MaajaWentz

It was awkward. While Tonya and Aunt Helene sat on the hood of the car, Ducky kept shooting Tonya secret glances to make sure she was okay. Eventually it got so blatant her Aunt whispered: "I know that boy is sweet on you but are you sure he isn't wrong in the head?"

Fearing her murderous Aunt would read her mind, Tonya tried to think: 'pink elephants, pink elephants, pink elephants,' but couldn't help remembering her panicked text from the sandwich shop. Confused and desperate to say something innocent, she blurted: "We're not going out!"

That earned her a grin from Ducky but Zain remained beside the car, staring at her.

"So, uh, how are things on campus?" Tonya asked.

The guys described how their high-speed chase with Officer Hungry landed them both in the pond, and Ducky in a jail cell with cannibals.

"Are you hurt? Let me help." Tonya reached for Ducky's arm.

"The bites are clean and bandaged," said Ducky.

"You must be traumatized," she said.

"Not after watching three hundred zombie movies." Zain struck a heroic pose. "We're prepared for anything!"

Ducky laughed.

"I feel like everybody in uniform is against us," said Tonya.

"Now you know why I want you to leave," said Aunt Helene.

"How do we know things won't be worse in Toronto?" Tonya laced and unlaced her fingers.

"The Entity is localized for now, but I sense It reaching critical mass."

"What's that mean?" Zain crossed his arms.

"Local history." Aunt Helene sighed. "It's a long story."

"We're in no hurry." Ducky propped his foot on the bumper of her car.

Aunt Helene looked at her fingernails. "It's not pretty."

"Tell them," said Tonya.

"We want to help," said Ducky.

"I hope you feel the same when you know everything."

Like Tonya, Helene had grown up ignorant of her powers. It was a community-wide tradition. "Back in those days there were rules. You would never see cursed civilians wandering the streets like this, and kids were absolutely off limits."

Helene's parents put off explaining magic the way some parents delay the 'sex' talk until -- too late -- their kids have researched the mechanics and started on technique.

As for sex, the same for the supernatural. Helene was drawn to mystical energy thrumming through the Three Century Ash. Without instruction, she had all the local dogs, and even some of the cats, doing her bidding.

Her abilities grew until, one day, she could make her parents do almost anything she wanted. 'Could she stay out late Saturday night?' Yes. 'Would they write her a sick note so she could skip school and go swimming in the creek?' Yes. 'Would they buy her that dress for the dance they really couldn't afford?' Yes. Yes. Yes.

She had to live with the consequences of course. Three months of baloney sandwiches and beans for supper while her folks paid for the dress. Failing, and having to attend summer school after too many skipped classes. Having the car on Saturday nights, however, made it all worthwhile.

Still, it was wrong, manipulating her parents like that. No sooner had Helene promised herself to leave them alone when she started to influence others who restricted her teen existence. She subconsciously charmed teachers into giving her A's, even the Phys. ed. teacher who intended to fail her for refusing to wear uniform shorts.

"We girls had to wear the ugliest 'bloomers' in those days, until I talked the school secretary into ordering cheerleader uniforms for gym classes. It caused a scandal!" Aunt Helene smiled and shook her head, her white teeth flashing in the headlights.

"Why cheerleader outfits?" Ducky wanted to know.

Helene shrugged. "It was before track suits. Girls' Phys. Ed. outfits were so ugly, just wearing them was demeaning. Like I told the reporter, if short skirts were okay for cheerleaders, they should be okay for everybody."

Despite stirring things up, Helene didn't get expelled until she ran into Bartholomew Waldock, a locally-born principal with powers of coercion that soon made him mayor. A month later, when Helene was bored of doing nothing at home, Waldock's son, Jack, appeared out of nowhere.

"He was strong and handsome, and had all sorts of interesting ideas for spending my time." She sighed.

"Did you date?" Tonya asked.

Her Aunt laughed. "Not a chance, and if I saw him tomorrow, I'd bury him."

Zain asked: "Why?"

"The first time didn't take."

"Enough jokes," said Tonya. "Tell me everything or I can't help."

"Jack was always good with necromancy and fungi. He found a way to bring himself back from the dead. The 'Entity' I'm fighting is part Waldock, part telepathic fungus."

"That's impossible," said Ducky.

Zain cocked his head. "How do you bring someone back?"

"He had help. Tonya, you've met his crony, Len? When they were young, Jack's powers grew with every corpse Len snatched for him, until they became too dangerous to criticize. Waldock specialized in mind control, and Len conjured fire. I tried to help with fire charms but Waldock could get into people's heads and make them forget to use them. By the time I fought him, the Town was living in terror."

"What does he want?" Tonya asked.

"He wants to run Loon Lake like his father never did, and get back at me for killing him. How was I supposed to know he wouldn't stay dead?" She put her hand on Tonya's arm. "Watch yourself.

The tow truck arrived and Aunt Helene went to speak to the driver.

"We should leave," said Zain.

Tonya hesitated. Her Aunt's story had been a mystery all her life. She needed to know more, but what she was hearing scared her. Aunt Helene talked about murder casually, as if burying a man was mundane, like tying her shoes.

Tonya accosted her Aunt, who was chatting up the driver. In her ear she whispered: "Can you promise me no more violence?"

"I'm not strong enough to hurt him anymore."

Ducky had come with her. "You seem pretty strong to me," he said.

Aunt Helene turned to face them. "I really have been in and out of the hospital, and I must go back."

"What's wrong?" Tonya asked.

"Stomach cancer. I've had chemo and I need an operation, but I've been putting it off."

"Why?" said Tonya.

The tow truck headlights revealed dark circles under her eyes accentuating her wrinkles. "I thought nobody could stand up to him, but since you refuse to run... Fight in my place Tonya."

"What?"

"The fight against Len drained me. I can feel the cancer taking hold again."

"Heal yourself," said Tonya.

"I've tried. It's a bad one."

Tonya stepped forward and gave her Aunt a hug. "You have to get better."

"It won't matter if you don't save Loon Lake. Don't be afraid." She stepped back to look at Tonya at arms length. "Use your talents."

"I don't know magic."

"Get your friends to help. Whatever it takes."

"But..."

"The doctor says if I put off the operation again, it will be too late."

 ********

This is the draft version of Feeding Frenzy. Want to read the entire finished version right now? Read it for free on Ream. https://reamstories.com/maaja

Or visit https://www.maajawentz.com/ for more novels and stories.

Thanks for reading!

Maaja

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

482 81 37
A renowned captain plagued by a mysterious curse. A Mage with a long-held secret. A royal with something to prove. A celebrity who leads a double lif...
1.8K 64 31
Born into a world where talking wolves, water powers, a villainous dictator, and medieval castles are the social norm, Aqua Reynolds is ripped from h...
44.8K 1.1K 8
مافيا - حب - قسوه - غيره renad231_5 مرت سنه والقلب ذابحهه الهجر ومرت سنه والهجر عيا يستحي الروايه موجوده في انستا : renad2315
95.2K 3.1K 38
Y/N was a teenage introvert who enjoyed having her own space and being alone. She loved listening to music in her room, which was a great escape for...