Is There Somewhere? |Daryl Di...

By shookifer

『 I'm sorry but I fell in love tonight I didn't mean to fall in love tonight 』 Sabrina Rhodes has known hards... More

epigraph
ACT ONE
001| two thousand five hundred and fifty five
002| a wish upon a dandelion
003| head in the clouds
005| empty folgers can, empty formula tin
006| big and strong
007| i before e
ACT TWO
008| napalm
009| just fine officer
010| the morning after
011| on golden pond
012| it's a free country
013| just as easily
014| risky business
015| packin' heat
016| when you get back
017| test subject nineteen
018| ain't no baby
019| never stand behind a buckin' animal
020| one missing, one dying
021| lifeline
022| in. out.
023| no cuttin' corners
024| just like this
025| pretty much dead already
026| olive oyl

004| boys like you

394 22 16
By shookifer

"I just don't get it." Daryl said, shoveling a handful of fries into his mouth. He was sitting at the counter of Rosebud Diner, Sabrina was behind the counter ringing an older lady named Sue up for her meal. "Guy's a prick." 

"Thank you, have a nice day Sue." Sabrina said, handing the woman her change and smiling appreciatively when she placed it in the tip jar. She looked towards her best friend once the lady left. "Chew with your mouth closed honey, it's unbecoming for a young man such as yourself." 

"Pfft." Daryl spoke then smacked his lips together for extra emphasis. "Why agree to a date with that guy? He's got a prick name too. You really want your last name to be DuPont or whatever?" 

"Dare, he asked for one date. Not my hand in marriage." Sabrina chided, turning to help another customer that appeared at the register. "7.12 hon." 

"Nah, your friends right, guy sounds like a prick. See you later Brina." The man handed her his own money, ten dollars and waved goodbye. He'd be back tomorrow, the next day, and the day after that. Every morning he got a cup of black coffee and plate of toast, over easy eggs, two strips of bacon and a side of hash-browns before heading back to work. If Sabrina couldn't rely on anyone she could rely on old Cash Bennett. 

"See! Even Cash agrees." Daryl said, taking a sip of his Coke. The sound of an empty cup rang out shortly after. "Can I get another?" 

"No, you're switching to water. I ain't having you bouncin' off the walls on a sugar rush." Sabrina said sliding a glass of water over to the Dixon boy. He glared at her playfully through dark blond locks of hair. "You need a haircut."

"I ain't need shit." Daryl scowled grumpily, sipping water through his straw. 

"Mhmm." Sabrina said, gingerly reaching out to brush away a particular strand of hair that was in his eyes. The eighteen year old melted at the touch. "I'll do it tonight." 

"Fine." Daryl grumbled, despite the way he was looking forward to any excuse for Sabrina to touch him. Then the reminder of what tonight was dawned on him. "Before or after your date with DuPorn?" 

"DuPont, Daryl. His last name is DuPont." Sabrina said in an exasperated tone. "But after. I'll need to tell you all about it. My parent's ain't home so you can crash on the couch if ya want." 

Daryl's stomach twisted at the thought of that. Sabrina discussing the date with him, it didn't feel right. Not when he'd been hopelessly in love with her for so long. He loved listening to her voice, even when she was angry with him. Yet listening to her go on and on about a date at a movie, then to a fancy restaurant with a man whose bedroom cost five times his cabin. He didn't think he could stomach that. Not when he'd never be able to give her those things. Not when she deserved so much more than what the Dixon name offered. 

"Let me guess, I gotta drive ya too?" Daryl asked and Sabrina smiled sheepishly as a blush creeped up to her cheeks. She tucked a strand of red hair behind her ear and Daryl was done for. 

"It'd be nice of ya." Sabrina said and Daryl groaned. 

"You better refill my Coke then," Daryl said, sliding the red soda cup over to her side of the counter. "If I'm gonna listen to you yap away all night, I'm gonna need that caffeine. And you'll need to bring me a doggy bag from whatever restaurant DuPorn takes ya to." 

+

Sabrina pulled a black turtleneck over the top of her head, careful not to smudge her makeup. She peeked at herself in the mirror. Long red hair cascaded over her shoulder, freshly shampooed and lay in curls that cascaded down her back. Her make up was more dramatic than usual, a bright red lipstick making the whole outfit pop. She anxiously wiped the sweat from her palms onto her worn jeans. 

Did she really want to go on this date? No not really. Not anymore. The idea of going to a fancy restaurant had been appealing at first, but now she realized that just wasn't her scene. Especially as she realized the only dress she owned was from her grandmothers funeral. 

A knock at the door sounded, breaking her from her thoughts. Before she had the chance to go see who it was, the door opened and Daryl strolled through a cigarette behind his ear and a button up layered over a gray tank top. The outer layer wasn't buttoned instead it hung open showcasing his torso. Her eyes lingered on his chest, and the way the tank top fit snuggly. Why was she going on this stupid date when she knew exactly what she wanted? Why was she going on this date when she knew exactly who she wanted and he was right here in her living room? 

"Wow you look..." Daryl spoke, trailing off as his eyes lingered over ever inch of skin. 

"Like a sore thumb?" Sabrina offered and Daryl shook his head before meeting her eyes. 

"Was gonna say beautiful." Daryl said instead and Sabrina tried to ignore the way heat flooded her cheeks.  Sabrina tried to ignore the way Daryl made her feel. That's why she was going on this stupid date anyway. To get him off of her mind. They'd been friends for years, if he wanted to make a move he could've done it at any second up to this exact moment. "Ready?" 

"Yeah, lets go." Sabrina said, grabbing her tattered purse she found at a thrift store and slinging it over her shoulder. There wasn't much in it, just a wad of cash and tube of old lipstick. She felt like an imposter. Like a sheep going into the wolves den. 

Daryl guided Sabrina out of the house, where the truck was still running. He made his way over to the passenger side, opening the door and making sure she was settled in before closing the door and rounding the front to get in the drivers seat. 

The drive was silent, and Daryl noticed the way Sabrina was picking at the red nail polish on her fingernails. She was nervous, or had something else on her mind. He watched out of the corner of his eye as she picked at her cuticle.

He made a right turn into the movie theater parking lot, where he could see DuPorn; a nickname he'd never let die, standing with one of his buddies and another girl wearing decade old pearls and some high-end dress that cost more than his truck. Sabrina clutched the door handle so tightly her knuckles whitened.  She didn't make any move to get out of the truck though. 

"Hey," Daryl said, snapping her attention towards him. She looked at him with wide eyes, like a deer in headlights. "You good?" 

Sabrina swallowed, looking over her shoulder to where James DuPont and Weston Rothschild were standing. She didn't recognize the girl, but could tell she came from old money too. 

"Yeah, I'm uh..." Sabrina trailed off searching for the words. "Just didn't realize it was going to be a double date." 

  "You want me to stay? Sit in the truck?" Daryl offered. If she needed him, he'd stay. Hell he'd do anything for the redhead he called his best friend. 

"No, it's okay." Sabrina said, finally opening the door and allowing her feet to hit the pavement. The night air sent a shiver up her spine and Daryl saw the way DuPorn and his buddy were staring at Sabrina. He hated it. "I'll see you later, wash your hair!" 

"No." Daryl said, sending her a reassuring smile. "I'll see you later." 

Sabrina nodded, pulling her turtleneck to smooth out the wrinkles that had formed in the car. She shut the door and made her way to the group of people waiting for her. Daryl watched as she quickly scurried over, he waited for a moment before putting the truck in drive. He didn't release his foot off the break, instead, he watched as James DuPont looked down his nose at her. 

"Who was that?" He asked, looking behind her to where Daryl was still sitting in the idle beat up truck. 

"Oh, my neighbor, Daryl." Sabrina said, waving back at Daryl. "We're close so he gave me a ride." 

"In that old thing? I'm surprised it even runs." Weston Rothschild chimed in, elbowing James in the arm. The two erupted into a nice hearty chuckle that had Sabrina frowning. 

"It gets from point A to point B, what else could ya need?" Sabrina questioned, quickly realizing she was out of her element. 

"Come on Sabrina, I'm sure he meant nothing by that." James said, taking her appearance in for a moment, frowning when he spotted the jeans she was wearing. "Jeans at the cinema?" 

"It's just the movies..." Sabrina said looking down at her outfit. Cinema? What kind of fancy chatter was that? "What if it gets cold? 'Sides, it's gonna be dark and no ones gonna see." 

"You're right," James spoke, taking her hand in his own. "Let's go, that documentary I was telling you about is still showing."

"Documentary?" Sabrina said quietly, wondering what she got herself into. She was hoping for something like an action movie, or she'd even settle for romance. But a documentary? 

The two pairs approached the doorway, James entered first nearly letting the door slam shut on their intertwined hands. She noticed how his hands were baby soft, much unlike Daryl's who had rough callouses from years of hunting. She pushed Daryl out of her thoughts trying to live in the moment. 

Sabrina noticed how they went straight towards the theater, not even bothering for an icee or popcorn. Those were her favorite parts of the movies, her and Daryl shared one every time without fail. They'd mix blue raspberry and cherry and abuse the free refills to the point where employees began to put "out of order" signs when they came through. Once again, she tried to push Daryl out of her thoughts. 

None of this felt right. That seemed apparent once they made their way to their seats, the theater was crowded and their entire row was full. James, sat on the end of the aisle forcing her to sit next to the stranger. She didn't mind that, it wasn't something that bothered her. What did bother her was that James didn't even have the decency to let her in first, instead she'd be forced to practically climb over the boy. 

She stood there staring at him in disbelief, her mouth agape. 

"What's wrong?" James asked, neglecting to even look at her. Sabrina rolled her eyes, placing her hands on her hips. 

"You know, honestly?" Sabrina said, an angry laugh bubbling up in her throat. "I don't think" She paused to gesture with her hands, "this is going to work out. So lets not waste our time pretending you're not a pretentious dick and I find it charming!" 

"Just sit down Sab, you're causing a scene. It's quite foolish of you." James said, still neglecting to look at her, instead his gaze was focused on the previews ahead of him. Rage began to bubble in her stomach. 

"Don't call me that," She said. "That ain't reserved for boys like you DuPorn." 

"It's DuPont!" James said and Sabrina rolled her eyes as he finally looked in her direction. 

"Yeah whatever pisswad." Sabrina scoffed. 

With that, she turned on her heel and began to rush down the stairs and out into the brisk nighttime air. She sat down on one of the benches pressing her palms into her eyes in frustration. What the hell was she thinking? 

A sharp whistle echoed in her ears. She looked towards the source of it, finding Daryl leaning against the passenger side door a lit cigarette resting in his lips. Sabrina let out a soft chuckle, warmth spreading through her body as she noticed him standing there. He hadn't left. 

The redheaded girl trekked forward, taking long steps to get there faster. Daryl flicked his cigarette to the ground, stomping it out and blowing the smoke to the side as she crossed the parking lot. 

"You stayed?" Sabrina said in disbelief, taking note of the way Daryl never broke eye contact with her. He gave her the time of day, always hanging on intently to every word she spoke. 

" 'Course I stayed." Daryl said, opening the passenger side door for her to climb into. "You really think I'd leave ya here 'lone with DuPorn in there?" 

Sabrina laughed, kicking her old dirty converse onto the dash as Daryl climbed into the drivers seat, cranking down her window to enjoy the feeling of the wind in her hair. She threw her head back and Daryl took in the sight of her, a drastic change from the girl he had dropped off. 

"The guy's a prick, don't even know basic manners." Sabrina said, failing to mention how every action DuPont did had her comparing him to Daryl. Her best friend was so much better than him in every way shape and form. 

"Told ya so." Daryl muttered, rolling his own window down. 

"Yeah yeah, keep on talking and I'll cut all that hair off tonight." Sabrina threatened and Daryl tossed her a dirty look. 

"Keep on talking and I'll take you back to DuPorn." Daryl's threat is fake, he's not taking her back there ever. Even if it means facing Sabrina with a pair of shears. 

+

Daryl sat in the middle of Sabrina's dining room, an old towel around his shoulders and his hair dripping wet. He'd practically been waterboarded in the sink as Sabrina hosed him down. Sabrina said he was being overdramatic and maybe he was. 

He relaxes as Sabrina takes a comb through his hair, stopping at the base of his neck. She feels like home, that's something Daryl has always known. Even as she's hacking away at his hair and giving him a haircut he doesn't think he even needs. 

"Then! We didn't even stop at the concession stands!" Sabrina says, circling his body and stopping at the front of his head. "It's criminal to go to the movies without getting any kind of sweets." 

"Mhmm." Daryl said, holding his mouth shut so that hair wouldn't fall in. He'd made that mistake before, and he wouldn't make it ever again. 

Sabrina took the scissors and snipped at the strand directly in her face. Her body was bent over, and her gaze burned into his forehead with concentration. Her green eyes glimmered and her tongue stuck out the side of her mouth. She looked so beautiful, so, at peace, that Daryl wanted to reach out and wrap his arms around her waist to pull her close. 

"Okay," Sabrina whispered softly taking the scissors one last final time against his bangs. She gently brushed them to the side, tugging on another longer strand by his ear. The fingers that grazed his skin felt like he'd been graced by an angel. "Perfect."

She stood to her whole height, grabbing her handheld mirror and standing behind Daryl to hold it in front of his face. Daryl noticed she smelled like vanilla and tried to ignore the warmth it brought him. 

"You like?" She asked, and Daryl nodded despite the fact that he wasn't looking at himself. Instead, he was looking behind him where Sabrina was staring at her hard work with a small smile. 

"Yeah," Daryl said nodding. His gaze never left her reflected figure. "I like." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124 19 5
After being on the run from the police for months before the world even fell apart, Charlie soon learns that the rest of her life will now be just th...
61.2K 3.3K 22
In a world taken over by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a girl who happens to be hard...
472K 15.1K 126
Estella Brandy, a strong, brave six year old girl that was left alone to die in the apocalypse by her mother. Thinking that she wouldn't be able to s...
350K 9.3K 99
Semi-mature. Completed. Nate's a teenage Aussie tomboy. Who grew up in a country town with 4 big brothers and parents who adore her as much as she do...