The Art of Love & Hate

By Havingfunwithfanfic

Lucerys Velaryon is born a girl and things become a bit more complicated, especially when Aemond starts takin... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36: Epilogue

Chapter 6

3.3K 144 8
By Havingfunwithfanfic

The petition for the Driftmark succession is heard. Most things will happen like they did on the show, other things will be different. I hope you guys like it 🥰

Her mother had insisted on choosing her gown and her jewels. While Darya preferred to pick her own clothes she was aware her mother wanted to make a statement. Her mother had dressed her like a Velaryon, not leaving anything to chance. She had picked an off-the-shoulder sea blue gown with lace and tulle details. Her neck was adorned by a white gold necklace with a large aquamarine stone, which had belonged to her grandmother at one point in time. Her white gold tiara was adorned with diamonds, it had belonged to her mother when she was younger, a gift from Daemon. Half her brown hair had been braided back to get it out of her face, the rest fell down her back in curls. Her mother was lucky that Darya loved the color blue and had several blue gowns.

She made it to the throne room and was surprised to see her grandsire there. While he looked sicker than the last time she had seen him, he did not look as confused as the last time she had seen him. The queen kept feeding him milk of the poppy so he would not intervene with her plans. She had talked to her grandsire the night before during supper and told him about the hand's inclinations. She had not told him the whole truth, knowing that he would not believe her. Her grandsire had never believed anything bad about Otto and she was not going to lose her breath trying to convince him.

She walked up to the king and dropped into a curtsy, the smile never leaving her face. "Your grace, I am pleased to see you."

"Ah, my sweet girl," He gave her the same smile he gave her mother, pleased to see her. "Walk with me."

"It would be my honor."

She lifted the front of her skirt a bit, not wanting to trip, and turned to face the doors as her grandsire nodded to the two kingsguards who immediately opened them. Apparently, her mother had been in the middle of a discussion with the hand, but everyone stopped and turned to look at the king, their eyes widening when they saw her standing next to him.

"King Viserys of House Targaryen, the first of his name. King of the Andals and the Rhoynar, and the First Men. Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm." The Kingsguard's voice was loud and clear. "And his granddaughter, Princess Darya of House Velaryon and Targaryen."

Otto Hightower's face paled and he stood up, she did not miss the glare he sent her way, but she kept a pleasant smile on her face. She walked a step behind her grandsire, slow and steady, watching him carefully and making sure he would not fall. Vaemond Velaryon did not look so sure any longer, he knew things were not going to go his way.

Her grandsire looked at Otto for a few moments. "I will sit on the throne today."

Otto had no choice but to nod and step aside, his eyes were hateful when he turned to look at her. Darya just smiled before winking at the man, whose face became so red it looked like it would explode.

Her grandsire climbed the steps to the throne slowly, but steadily. Darya waited until he was sitting down before dropping into another curtsy and moving to stand beside her mother.

"I must admit my confusion." Her grandsire took several deep breaths before he continued to talk. "I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession. The only one present who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys's wishes is the Princess Rhaenys."

She had to hand it to her grandmother, she hid her surprise well.

"Indeed, your grace." The woman moved to stand in the center of the room and looked directly at the king. "It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his true born son Joffrey Velaryon. His mind never changed, nor did my support for him." Darya made sure not to let the confusion she was feeling show on her face. Her grandmother had never liked her or her brothers. Why would she support her mother now? The next words out of her mouth cleared things for Darya. "As a matter of fact, Princess Rhaenyra had just informed me of her desire to marry her sons Jace and Joffrey to Lord Corlys's granddaughters, Baela and Rhaena. A proposal to which I heartily agree."

Vaemond, the queen, and the hand looked like someone had just died. Darya should have known her mother would speak to Rhaenys and offer an alliance to get true Velaryon blood on the throne.

"Well, the matter is settled, again." The king said happily, ignoring the angry faces around him. "I hearty reaffirm Prince Joffrey of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lord of the Tides."

As much as everyone wanted that to be the end of it, Darya knew that it would not be. Vaemon's face was a dark cloud as he glared at Rhaenys before glaring at the king. Vaemond did not let her down, his words leaving his mouth in an angry tone.

"You break the law and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir." The man moved to where Princess Rhaenys had been before and glared at the king. "Yet you dare tell me who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon. No. I will not allow it."

"Allow it?" Her grandsire did not look too concerned. "Do not forget yourself, Vaemond."

Her grandsire's words truly angered the man, who turned to them and pointed at Joffrey, who pressed closer to her.

"THAT IS NO TRUE VELARYON!" He turned back to the king with a hateful look on his face. "And certainly no nephew of mine."

"Go to your chambers." Her mother looked at all three of them, before turning to Vaemond. "You have said enough."

Darya's hand went to the aquamarine stone hanging from her neck, playing with it and watching the show. She knew things would be getting bloody soon enough.

"Joffrey is my true-born grandson." Her grandsire was not backing down, when he committed to something there was no going back. "And you are no more than the second son of Driftmark."

Vaemond did not seem to appreciate how close he was to losing his head.

"You may run your house as you see fit, but you will not decide the future of mine." The man's hateful words echoed around the room. "My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations besides. And Gods be damned, I will not see it ended on the account of this..."

Vaemond seemed to lose his nerve and his mouth tightened, the word was left unsaid, but it could still be heard. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Daemon give the man a look that promised chaos.

Daemon's voice was so soft, that she could barely hear it. "Say it."

The man was more stupid than she first thought because with looked at Daemon with a smile and spoke directly to him.

"Her children are bastards!" Everyone jumped at his shout and Jace tensed. Darya took her brother's hand to stop him from moving, her other hand continued playing with her necklace. She knew Vaemond was not done yet. "And she is a whore."

Her grandsire's face was a mask of fury as the crowd gasped and Darya saw Aemond's smile. Her grandsire stood up and unsheathed his Valyrian steel dagger. "I will have your tongue for that."

She had noticed Daemon moving and knew exactly what he was planning. Her stepfather was many things, but he loved her mother and was very protective of her. He would not let the offense pass without punishment. She watched as he swung Dark Sister, the sword taking off the top of Vaemond's head, leaving only the bottom half of his jaw attached to his body. People gasped horrified and Helaena covered her ears before turning away.

Darya smiled, not caring to hide her amusement as Daemon stood without a care in the world over the man's dead body. "He can keep his tongue."

Everyone was shocked when Otto yelled. "Disarm him."

"No need." Daemon cleaned his sword before moving to stand beside her mother once more.

Darya saw the horrified look on Aegon's face and the impressed, almost eager look in Aemond's eye. Her grandsire groaned and he looked exhausted, the queen immediately went to him and so did the kingsguard. Her brothers were still looking horrified and both looked a bit pale.

Darya gave them both a bright smile and clapped her hands to get their attention. "Let us go eat, I am starving."

Her brothers looked at her like she had lost her head and she heard Aemond choke back a laugh. She should have eaten before leaving her chambers.

                                                                     Darya Velaryon (15 years old.)

                                                                   Rhaenyra Targaryen (34 years old.)

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Aemond had always been fascinated by his uncle Daemon, the man was a legend and one of the greatest warriors from his house. It was a shame that his uncle was on his sister's side. He had been shocked when his uncle had cut off a man's head in the middle of the throne room. What surprised him the most was Darya's attitude about the whole thing. Everyone had been surprised when she entered the room with the king, and Aemond had lost his breath. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen and he could not help but want her. He had been thinking a lot since she arrived and finally had admitted to himself that he wanted her with the same passion he hated her.

"I cannot believe you laughed." He resisted the urge to roll his eyes at the tone in his mother's voice. She had been on a warpath since what happened in the throne room, his father had ruined her plans. "After the bloodbath, we had to witness you dared to laugh."

He had not been able to help himself, finding it extremely hilarious that while everyone was horrified and not knowing what to do, his niece had looked at her brothers with an amused smile and expressed how hungry she was. He had never imagined his quiet and shy niece would be so bloodthirsty.

"AEMOND!" His mother's voice snapped him out of his thoughts. "Do not ignore me."

"I am not ignoring you, mother." He had been trying to, but she would not shut up. "Do not get so upset about something that had no importance. The man was already dead, is not like he knew I was laughing."

She just glared at him before shaking her head and walking out of the chambers. Helaena was sitting near him while the children played on the floor nearby. He was glad she was feeling better and the bruise had almost disappeared. After the beating he gave Aegon, his brother did not dare touch his sister again.

"Are you well?" Aemond asked Helaena; he had seen how affected she had been by what happened in the throne room. "I know what happened was shocking."

"Rivers of blood will flow." Helaena's hand tightened around his, her fingers digging into his wrist. "Beware of the storm."

He was not sure what she was talking about, but by the way she was talking and looking at him, he could see she was truly afraid. After dealing with his sister for all his life, he knew that the best thing would be to allow whatever she was going through to pass. He had seen how bad things could go if anyone tried to snap his sister out of the trance. His mother had tried it plenty of times and his sister had been inconsolable for days afterwards.

It took a few minutes until his sister took a deep breath and let go of his hand. She looked around the room, before frowning at him. "Why are you looking at me that way?"

"Do you remember what you just said to me?"

Helaena looked confused. "About what?"

"About rivers of blood and a storm?" She had said the thing about rivers of blood before, but every time she repeated the same thing it just sounded more ominous.

"I am not sure." She seemed to think for a moment before frowning. "Things are not very clear, everything can change so quickly."

Aemond did not say anything, he was used to his sister's odd behavior. "Do not worry about it, I am sure it will become clearer with time."

"Yes, you are right." She smiled at him. "We are supposed to have supper with our father, sister, niece, and nephews tonight."

Aemond groaned. "Yes, I am aware."

"I am looking forward to it," Helaena said happily. "I always enjoy spending time with Darya."

"Why?" Aemond did not understand his sister's liking of the girl. "Why are you so fond of her? You know what she is."

"She is our niece." His sister's voice was firm, which surprised him a bit. "Darya is sweet and she enjoys spending time with me. She worries about how I am feeling and wishes me to be happy. She was upset about what Aegon did and wanted to defend me."

"How did she know about what happened between you and Aegon?"

"She saw my lip and drew her own conclusions." Helaena gave him a sad look. "I do not have any friends, you know our mother does not want me to spend time with people who are beneath me. Darya likes me and does not care that my mother can be a bit insane."

Aemond did not say anything, he knew his sister was right. Their mother had never allowed them to have friends and his sister was lonely. Aemond could not deny his sister a friend and someone she could confide in. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

526K 14.5K 71
What happens when Rhaenyra and Daemon's night in the brothel turned out to be more than what the princess admitted to? What happens when a child is c...
80.5K 2K 7
𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝗀𝗋𝖾𝖾𝗇𝗌 𝗐𝗂𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖽𝖺𝗇𝖼𝖾, 𝗒𝖾𝗍 𝗌𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗋𝖺𝗅 𝖽𝗂𝖾𝗌. 𝖠𝖾𝗀𝗈𝗇 𝗇𝖾𝖾𝖽𝗌 𝖺 𝗐𝗂𝖿𝖾. 𝖠𝗇𝖽 𝗐𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗁𝖺�...
1K 42 4
Being the first child and only daughter of Rhaenyra Targaryen, Aemma Velaryon has to navigate being her mother's heir while also protecting her brot...
18.2K 390 24
𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝓸𝓯 𝓭𝓻𝓪𝓰𝓸𝓷𝓼 This story happened a long time ago. It is already over. Nothing can be done to change it. It is a story of return and l...