Book Two: The Larkspur's Long...

By TatteredFindings

(Sequel to The Marigold's Larkspur) Crown Prince Callidus finds himself on the cusp of achieving his dreams... More

Chapter One: Cressida
Chapter Two: Thorns
Chapter Three: Family
Chapter Four: A Child
Chapter Five: Dead men
Chapter Six: Understanding
Chapter Seven: Larkspur
Chapter Eight: The Game
Chapter Nine: Expectations
Chapter Ten: Fragile relations
Chapter Eleven: Storm cloud eyes
Chapter Twelve: Friendship
Chapter Thirteen: Suffocation
Chapter Fourteen: Cocoon
Chapter Fifteen: Liar's dice
Chapter Sixteen: Revelation
Chapter Seventeen: Distraction
Chapter Eighteen: Breakfast
Chapter Nineteen: Risk
Chapter Twenty: Sacrifice
Chapter Twenty-one: Winds of Change
Chapter Twenty-two: Boundaries
Chapter Twenty-three: Fool's gold
Chapter Twenty-four: Longing
Chapter Twenty-Five: Window
Chapter Twenty-six: First Impressions
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Surprise
Chapter Twenty-eight: Queens
Chapter Twenty-nine: Betrayal
Chapter Thirty: Nightmares
Chapter Thirty-one: Circumstance
Chapter Thirty-Two: Manipulation
Chapter Thirty-three: Monster
Chapter Thirty-four: Truth
Chapter Thirty-five: Interrogation
Chapter Thirty-six: Honesty
Chapter Thirty-seven: Abandoned
Chapter Thirty-eight: Promises
Chapter Thirty-nine: A normal morning
Chapter Forty-one: Gifts
Chapter Forty-two: Game of Control
Chapter Forty-three: Unraveling
Chapter forty-four: Memory

Chapter Forty: Lions, Lords and Poison

28 3 7
By TatteredFindings

"Alright! Does everyone understand the rules?"

Jasper stood at the center of the room, the flower crown around his bandaged head giving him an almost comical appearance.

The Sapphire Suite had undergone a transformation, with dining chairs stacked on top of the table and the loveseat, settees, and coffee table pushed against the wall to create a makeshift arena.

As Callidus surveyed the room, he could see the varying degrees of emotions among the participants. Mint and Illian appeared equally anxious, while Arden seemingly concentrated intently on the rules. Fenella's hand had been permanently smothering nervous giggles since Jasper and Cressida started explaining how to play.

Meanwhile, Roslindis sat stiffly on the loveseat, clutching Varyan to her chest; the toddler idly chewing on his flower crown. (Which Cressida predicted while picking out the flowers.) The flower crown Callidus had made for his aunt sat untouched next to her in stark contrast to the colorful crowns adorning the heads of the other occupants.

Physician Sakira sat on one of the settees, having unsuccessfully tried to dissuade Jasper from participating. She had resigned herself to observing, with the condition that she would intervene if Jasper's head injury worsened.

But, as always, it was Cressida who caught Callidus's eye.

She practically bounced in place as she asked the room, "So, who wants to be the lion, and who wants to be the lord for the first round?"

No one seemed eager to volunteer for either role.

Fenella, unable to contain her giggles, clarified amidst her laughter, "...and the lion truly has to crawl?"

"Sounds like you'd like to be first, Fen the Hen!" Jasper said with a grin. Fenella's giggles intensified as she shook her head. "Alright, well, I might as well be the first Lord since I already have a blindfold on." Jasper jokingly pulled down his bandage to cover his eyes, but Physician Sakira immediately intervened.

"Your Highness, please keep your bandage in place."

Jasper pouted but complied, grumbling under his breath.

Cressida, sensing the impending impasse, volunteered, "I'll be the lord!"

Immediately Callidus found himself saying, "I'll be the lion."

A shocked hush fell over the room.

Until Jasper let out a cheer, "Alright! Our songbird is our first Lord, and our falcon is our first lion! That means the rest of us animals are lunch! Come on over, Lunch!"

Jasper and the rest of the players moved off to the side, their voices hushed as they secretly drew lots to see who would play the Poison. Meanwhile, Callidus took the opportunity to sidle up to Cressida, drawn to her vibrant energy like a moth to a flame.

Cressida turned to him with a bright bewildered grin. "You're really going through with this?"

"I promised you a life of laughter and sunshine, didn't I?"

Cressida scooted closer, leaning up to whisper. "Laughter, sunshine, and kisses."

Callidus felt a rush of warmth at her words. "I am more than willing to provide all three," he murmured, his voice low with affection. A roar of thunder echoed throughout the suite. "...although sunshine might be difficult to attain today."

Cressida nudged him with a laugh. "Then I'll expect extra of the other two. Now did you catch all the rules? I know it sounds complicated, but it'll make sense when the game starts."

"I win if I devour the lunch."

"Yes! And you have to keep roaring so that I have a chance at finding you."

"And you win if you devour me...?" Callidus pretended to clarify, as if that weren't the sole reason he volunteered to be the lion.

"Yes, the lord hunts the lion while trying not to be poisoned, and the lion evades the lord while going after the lunch. The lunch..." Cressida patiently reiterated the rules, and though Callidus already knew them, he attentively listened, captivated by the sparkle in her eyes.

"So, Callidus, are you prepared to be devoured?" she teased, sending an eager shiver down his spine.

"Alright! Is everyone ready?" Jasper interjected, thankfully interrupting Callidus before he could reveal just how appealing he found that notion.

Soon, Cressida, as the Lord, stood poised at one side of the room, deftly tying the makeshift blindfold, (a thick bandage from Sakira's medical bag), around her eyes. Callidus, taking on the role of the lion, impatiently waited at the opposite side.

The rest of the players, Arden, Fenella, Illian, Mint, and Jasper, huddled in the middle of the room. The Lunch players were confined to the 'dining table,' (the large lilac rug), but the lion and the lord were free to move across the room.

"Ahem, Your Majesty?" Jasper coughed, prompting Callidus to slink down to the ground.

At Jasper's signal, the first round began. Cressida stepped forward; arms outstretched as she began to navigate the suite blindly. Following suit, Callidus forced himself to crawl, his muscles protesting the unusual movement. It had been ages since he'd crawled, and the memory wasn't a pleasant one.

As he advanced, he noticed the hesitant movements of the other players, who seemed unsure of how to react to their King Regent being on his hands and knees. Their expressions ranged from discomfort to horror, except for Jasper, who found the situation entirely amusing, and Fenella, whose nervous giggles continued unabated.

"I don't hear any roaring, Lion!" Cressida called out. "Are you trying to hide from me?"

In response, Callidus let out an awkward roar, the sound reverberating off the walls as he attempted to impress her. Cressida's delighted giggle eased some of his embarrassment, though he couldn't ignore Mint's openly gawking gaze.

He soon realized that, aside from Jasper, the other players weren't moving aside as they should, seemingly hesitant to actively defy their King Regent, even in a game. However, Callidus had no interest in hunting them.

As always, his focus was solely on Cressida.

Each time she took a step, the air nervously swirled around her, fearing she might collide with something, yet she confidently moved through the space, her assuredness surprising.

When he finally reached her, he watched in amusement as she searched for him, feeling her arms swim through the air. He moved directly in front of her and sat back on his knees, his heart pounding with expectancy.

"Roar," he softly announced.

There was a moment of silence before Cressida let out a delighted squeal, her hands reaching out eagerly. "Got you!" she exclaimed, her fingers latching onto his shoulders.

With exaggerated theatricality, Cressida 'gobbled' Callidus up as she counted down to three, her actions reminiscent of how he'd witnessed her playing with Varyan. She made ridiculous chewing noises, and despite the absurdity of the situation (or perhaps because of it), Callidus thoroughly enjoyed the attention.

But when Cressida finally pushed back her blindfold, her expression shifted to one of realization as she noticed that none of the 'lunches' had been eaten.

"Callidus, that's not how you play the game."

Despite the reprimand, Callidus couldn't wipe the smile off his face.

"Looks like you were more of a Lion Tamer than a Lord, Cress," Jasper chimed in, his laughter filling the room.

Cressida sighed in mock exasperation before reaching down to 'help' Callidus up from the floor while suggesting another round. "This time, Callidus, we'll both be Lunch," she sternly told him, and Callidus blissfully obeyed, enjoying the fact that she didn't let go of his hand. "Yapper, why don't you show everyone how to be a lion?"

Jasper struck a playful pose, growling dramatically before glancing at Physician Sakira, who gave him a reproachful look. "...I'll be a careful lion," he claimed with a grin.

Suddenly, Varyan wriggled out of his mother's lap and plopped on the floor. Without hesitation, he began mimicking the game he had just witnessed, crawling on all fours and attempting his best roar, much to everyone's amusement except Roslindis, who appeared increasingly distressed. Despite her efforts to retrieve him and return him to her lap, Varyan adamantly refused.

Illian rushed to his brother's side. "...Varyan," he scolded. "Behave. Come back to Mother." He attempted to pick up the wriggling toddler, but Varyan vocally expressed his displeasure, bordering on a full-blown tantrum.

"Well, look at this roaring little lion!" Jasper exclaimed. "Ready to go hunting? You can be my cub!" With exaggerated roaring sounds, Jasper lowered himself to his hands and knees, playfully swiping at Varyan's flower crown. This spectacle prompted Illian to stifle a giggle.

At the sound, Jasper glanced up, turning his attention to the eleven-year-old. "Your Highness! If we have two lions, we're going to need an especially strong lord to try to capture them."

Illian hesitated, his gaze instinctively darting towards Callidus, as if silently pointing out who he thought the strongest person in the room was. Jasper pretended to inspect each participant before dramatically declaring, "I don't see a more perfect Lord than you, Your Highness!"

Illian's expression shifted from uncertainty to cautious excitement. He glanced at his mother, seeking her support, but Roslindis remained silent, her disapproval evident in her tense posture.

Fenella warmly chimed in, "Prince Illian would make an excellent lord, don't you think, Sir Capybara?"

"Absolutely," Arden replied. "Right, Miss Mouse?"

"O-of course," Mint squeaked.

This seemed to bolster Illian's confidence, and a shy smile quirked his mouth. "Alright," he agreed, avoiding eye contact with his mother.

Jasper grinned. "Perfect! Prince Illian is our Lord for the next round, then. And me and my little buddy will be lions. But, uh. I think I'll do all the hunting for now, okay?"

The two-year-old let out a fierce "rah!" in agreement.

As Illian put on the blindfold, his demeanor underwent a drastic change. The reserved and anxious boy disappeared, replaced by a determined and excited lord ready to hunt down the lions. Lion Jasper, with Cub Varyan in tow, scampered across the room, letting out rumbling roars and playfully evading Illian's outstretched hands, occasionally swiping at the 'lunches' with exaggerated movements.

As the game progressed, Jasper managed to 'eat' Mint, Arden, and Cressida, the latter of whom let out a delighted squeal as she was dragged down to the ground by Jasper's playful antics. Callidus instinctively caught her, and she pushed him back into the game because he "hadn't been eaten yet." Callidus then chased after Jasper in an attempt to be 'eaten,' but Jasper gleefully avoided him, sensing his intentions. Varyan began to crawl after Callidus, but Jasper declared it didn't count when Callidus stopped to let the toddler 'eat' him.

The real highlight of the round came when Illian managed to find Varyan. With a triumphant cry, he 'ate' his brother, the toddler releasing ear-piercing screams of laughter. Jasper, feigning sorrow from the "loss of his cub", dramatically declared that he couldn't possibly go on. And in a moment of pure adrenaline, Illian, finally acting his age, 'attacked' Jasper with all the exuberance of a child at play. Varyan joined in, earning an accusation of being a "traitor Lion" from Jasper.

Despite his laughter - and actively egging the children on - Jasper suddenly winced, and subtly motioned for Cressida to take over as the lion for the next round. He playfully exaggerated his defeat at the hands of Prince Illian, claiming that the Lord's prowess was too much for him to handle, making his way to a settee, where Physician Sakira checked him over.

Callidus swiftly volunteered to be the Lord, although the blindfold did nothing to stop him from finding Cressida. He honed in on her familiar breathing, and the round ended before she even had a chance to roar twice. This prompted her to demand another turn as the Lion with a new Lord. (Callidus ensured she emerged victorious in the subsequent round.)

Arden, despite his physical limitations, surprised everyone with his agility as the lion, his single arm propelling him forward with deceptive speed, although he did run into trouble when trying to hold on while 'eating' people. He would have won the round, except he seemed hesitant to eat Lunch Callidus, which allowed Lord Mint to secure victory.

Lunch Fenella emitted a series of high-pitched squeaks as she did her best to avoid being eaten. In a moment of astonishing nimbleness, she startled Roslindis by leaping onto the coffee table, using it as a makeshift refuge to avoid Lion Illian's advances. (Or Il-lion as Jasper dubbed him.) Arden, ever vigilant, caught Fenella as she started to lose her balance, and their subsequent prolonged eye contact resulted in Arden immediately being eaten.

Despite it being entirely random, Mint found herself playing the Poison Lunch several times. Each time she would poison the Lord and secure victory; no one ever suspecting the innocent-looking girl of any wrongdoing. By the fourth time she won as the Poison, the group collectively decided she wasn't allowed to be Poison anymore.

Fenella, with her knees bothering her, reluctantly had to sit down after her short turn as the lion. Arden joined her under the guise of getting her a glass of water. Lacking several players, Jasper eagerly jumped back into the game, although he was told by Sakira he could only be a slow-moving Lunch from now on.

Undeterred, Jasper embraced his new role with gusto. He purposefully got in the way of other players, causing them to falter in their attempts to evade the lion. At one point, his antics directly caused Cressida to be eaten, and the game had to be put on hold as she strongly scolded him for not playing by the rules.

Illian had a knack for being the Lord and with each game, his confidence grew. Meanwhile, Varyan proved to be a constant source of amusement and distraction. Despite their best efforts to evade him, the toddler prince seemed to pop up at the most inconvenient moments, adding an extra layer of challenge to the already chaotic game.

Despite the light-hearted nature of the game, Callidus couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over him whenever he glanced at Roslindis. Her anxiety seemed to escalate with each passing round, particularly when Illian and Varyan were actively participating.

During one round, with Illian once again taking on the role of the Lord, Callidus found himself designated as the Poison Lunch. As Illian moved across the lilac rug, Callidus extended his hand, fingers poised to gently touch Illian's arm.

"Poison. One. Two. Three..." Callidus began, his lips curled into a triumphant smile.

Illian immediately began to act out being poisoned, sticking out his tongue and making exaggerated dying sounds. Laughter erupted from the other players as they watched Illian's antics, but Roslindis's reaction was different.

As Illian slumped to the floor, Roslindis leapt from her seat.

"Stop!"

Jasper immediately dropped his playful façade. "Your Majesty, what's wrong?"

But Roslindis ignored him, her attention fixed solely on Illian as she fell to her knees beside him, wrapping her arms around him.

Cressida, who had only seconds ago been a giggling lion, sprang to her feet. "Your Majesty, Prince Illian is fine. Callidus wouldn't-" she made eye contact with Callidus; her expression contorted in pain. "We...we were just playing."

But Roslindis was inconsolable, her breaths coming in ragged gasps as she clutched Illian to her chest, her dark eyes darting between her son and Callidus in fear and accusation.

Callidus felt like he had been slapped in the face.

The game came to an abrupt halt, the silence broken only by the sound of Roslindis's labored breathing. Illian, clearly familiar with this side of his mother, started to console her. "...Mother," he said softly. "Mama, I am alright. I am fine." Illian's attempts to reassure his mother only seemed to escalate her distress, her grip on him tightening.

Physician Sakira approached. "Your Majesty, please, let me check on Prince Illian to ease your worries."

Roslindis weakly nodded, reluctantly releasing her hold. Sakira knelt beside Illian, quickly confirming that he was unharmed. As she reassured Roslindis, the queen's breathing began to gradually slow. Countess Fenella and Arden moved to assist Illian in helping Roslindis to her feet. Meanwhile, Mint hurried to fix the displaced cushions on the loveseat, and Cressida poured Roslindis a glass of water.

Varyan, who had been playing underneath the dining table, toddled out to see the commotion. He approached Callidus, quietly staring up at him with innocent curiosity.

Callidus returned his stare.

As the others' backs were turned, Callidus crouched down to be eye level with Varyan. In a hushed tone, nearly inaudible amidst the flurry of activity around them, Callidus confessed, "I killed our brother."

Varyan's brows furrowed in understanding, "Bad. Killer," he mumbled softly.

Callidus nodded, agreeing with the toddler's assessment.

Varyan solemnly returned Callidus's nod, and then, without hesitation, crawled into his lap. For the first time, Callidus found himself hugging one of his brothers, cradling Varyan close as they sat together watching the chaotic scene.

"...our father, too," Callidus admitted.

Varyan simply snuggled against him, his small damp hands clinging to Callidus's arm. Oblivious to the gravity of the conversation, he began to babble about his toys, his father, and Ferox.

Listening attentively, Callidus affirmed, "Yes, they are both dead."

"Dead."
"And Ferox will stay that way."
"Dead."

"...but I can be your family," he murmured. "I...I am your family."

Cressida was the first to turn around, her gaze sweeping the room, clearly searching for Callidus.

Upon locking eyes with him, she froze.

And then immediately rushed to retrieve the toddler. Varyan protested, his small hands reaching back towards Callidus, but Cressida softly shushed him, anxiously bouncing the boy on her hip. Callidus rose from the floor, overwhelmed with self-loathing when he noticed Cressida instinctively flinch, shielding Varyan with her body.

"Cressida, I won't harm Varyan," he murmured. "I promise."

A flicker of guilt flashed in Cressida's eyes. "...I believe you, Callidus," she whispered, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "But perhaps it's best if we return him to his mother for now, hm?"

With a heavy heart, Callidus watched as Cressida turned and approached Roslindis. As she neared, the queen shifted her attention towards her youngest son.

"Varyan," she rasped.

"He was calling for you," Cressida fabricated with a sweet smile. "He wanted to make sure you were alright."

As if on cue, Varyan called out, "Mama!" and reached out to Roslindis. Cressida passed him into his mother's waiting arms, her hand instinctively cradling the back of his head.

"I think it's time for a break," Jasper proposed, though Cressida shot him a glance that suggested they were likely finished with games for the day.

Roslindis, however, surprised everyone with a question.

"Illian, do you wish to keep playing?"

Illian hesitated, clearly torn between his desire and his concern for his mother's well-being. He glanced around the room, gauging the reactions of the others, even briefly making eye contact with Callidus, (something he hadn't done since he was very young), before finally admitting, "I do want to keep playing. But maybe... maybe a quieter game."

Roslindis visibly struggled with conflicting emotions.

"Enough," Callidus declared, his voice cutting through the murmurs of the group.

Everyone turned to stare at him.

"Our gathering is over."

The room fell into an awkward silence.

Until Jasper spoke up, "Your Maj, perhaps we could-"

"I said enough," Callidus interrupted. "This... game has gone on for too long. It's time for us to disperse."

Cressida murmured his name, her tone laced with concern and disappointment, but Callidus avoided her gaze. As the tension in the room reached its peak, a loud knock sounded on the door of the Sapphire Suite.

"...Enter," he called out.

The door swung open, revealing Queen Conitine.

Callidus stiffened.

With a single unreadable glance, Conitine took in the scene before her - the scattered cushions, the disheveled players gathered around Roslindis on the loveseat, and the palpable tension hanging in the air.

"Ah, here you are, Nephew."

"Your Majesty," he greeted, his tone barely neutral. "I was unaware you were looking for me."

"Had your courier been at his post, you would have been made aware," she retorted, her eyes flicking towards Arden, who tensed as if unsure whether to apologize or bow.

"My courier is where I have instructed him to be," Callidus swiftly defended.

"Ah, so, you are his post. I suppose I mistook him for a courier, when in actuality, he is your carrier pigeon."

A snicker came from the loveseat, likely from Jasper.

"Regardless," Conitine continued, "I have come across something that may interest you, however, now I am far more interested in learning why I was not included in this family get-together."

As Conitine stepped into the room and over Varyan's fallen stuffed fox, (a casualty from the game), four Ashlarian guards trailed behind her, lingering in the doorway. Conitine glanced back with disdain. "Dismiss your hounds," she commanded Callidus. "Unless you wish for even more uninvited guests."

Callidus motioned for his guards to wait outside, and they bowed before exiting, closing the door behind them. Conitine brushed off her shoulder as if physically distancing herself from them. "I trust you can think of a good reason for excluding me?" she sniffed. "Given that all my living family is currently collected in this room."

"Forgive the oversight, Your Majesty," Callidus replied, evenly. "The gathering was intended to be a simple affair. And, as we both know, you are anything but simple."

"Complex minds often seek solace in simplicity." Her eyes swept over the remnants of their playful chaos. "Though this mess hardly qualifies as such."

"Then you are more than welcome to spare yourself the sight," Callidus immediately replied, feeling a rush of protectiveness for what had, up until a few minutes ago, been the happiest day of his life.

"Oh, I'm quite accustomed to messes, Nephew. I just find it interesting I keep stumbling across yours."

Callidus's hands twitched. "Your Majesty-"

"So formal to use my title in such an informal place, Nephew."

Callidus inwardly seethed. "How else should I address you?"

"Am I not your aunt?"

"Your Majesty, my continued formality towards you simply signifies the deep respect I hold for Meross."

"And to show respect towards me, then you shall call me what I wish. Nephew."

Callidus discretely glanced at Roslindis, who was cradling Varyan to her chest as she stared at her sister. With a tense nod, he acquiesced. "As you wish, Aunt Conitine. I suppose it's fitting, since you'll be the only one calling me Nephew."

Conitine tilted her head, her own eyes following his gaze before letting out a pleased breath. "Then I shall prize that distinction," she remarked, her tone carrying a note of finality.

As Queen Conitine's gaze then shifted to Cressida, Callidus felt a surge of apprehension. However, to his surprise, Conitine's demeanor shifted to one of pleasant familiarity. "And here is the lovely Eflian Princess," she fondly remarked, "That crown is exquisite on you, dear. You look like a bed of flowers."

Cressida dipped into a flawless curtsy, seemingly by instinct. "Thank you, Your Majesty. If I'm a flowerbed, you must be the sun."

Conitine's smile widened, her gaze appraising. "I see. That must be why you averted your eyes when I entered the room."

Cressida rose, her posture a bit too tense to be perfect. "Like my fiancé, my averting my eyes was simply a sign of respect."

"Back to being betrothed, are you? My Nephew must be disorientated from your rapid shifts in mood. Last we spoke you were quite insistent on having your Engagement ceremony before you would commit to the title."

Callidus felt Cressida's gaze on him, and when he met her eyes, her expression was thoughtful, as if she were trying to decipher a complex puzzle.

After a brief pause, Cressida responded, "Callidus and I actually had a private engagement ceremony this morning. This gathering is a celebration of that."

Callidus stared at Cressida.

His mind raced, trying to make sense of what she had just said.

"A private engagement ceremony?" Queen Conitine echoed. "How...unexpectedly romantic."

Cressida's gaze remained steady, her lips curving into a soft smile. "Yes, Your Majesty, it was," she affirmed. "Callidus and I decided that a private ceremony in the garden would be more intimate and meaningful to us. We know it's not what is ordinarily expected, but given what an extraordinary person Callidus is, I thought it would be perfect."

Callidus felt a rush of disbelief.

(A private engagement ceremony?)

(Extraordinary?)

His mind flashed back to a few hours prior, the warmth of the sunlight filtering through the clouds, the chill of the rain on the ground, the magical weaving of rings and promises.

Conitine adopted a mock pout. "It seems I am always the last to hear of such momentous occasions. Be it dear Gallus's funeral, or the...execution yesterday."

Cressida's eyes darkened, but she replied calmly, "Some matters are best kept private, Your Majesty."

"Secrecy seems to be a recurring theme in your relationship," Conitine commented dryly. "I must say, your new ring is quite the downgrade."

"Indeed, Your Majesty, one might perceive it as a downgrade if they prioritize outward appearances over sincerity."

Conitine's smile remained in place, though all warmth had evaporated from her gaze. "Ah, sincerity. One must be cautious not to mistake it for quality, dear."

As they bantered around him, Callidus remained in a euphoric daze, his thoughts consumed by the significance of the morning's events. He found himself drinking in every detail of Cressida's regal features as she verbally sparred with his aunt in a way that both impressed and enamored him.

(A private engagement ceremony.)

((Is that how Cressida viewed it?))

He fidgeted with the butterfly needle ring on his finger, winding and rewinding it with the wind as he rode the giddy wave of emotions. He longed to pull Cressida to the side; either to beg for clarification or smother her in kisses. He held the air tightly against him to prevent it from carrying his fiancée to him. (She didn't like it when he did that.)

Suddenly Jasper cleared his throat, cutting off Cressida's next retort. "Cress! You had your engagement ceremony this morning and didn't think to invite your brother?"

Cressida glanced at Jasper, a hint of guilty realization coloring her expression. "I'm sorry, Yapper. We...just wanted it to be the two of us outside."

"Wow. I can't believe the bugs and birds made it on the guest list when I didn't," Jasper teased, feigning offense.

Cressida responded with a smile, her tone light. "I'll make sure peacocks are invited to the wedding."

As Jasper nudged his sister, Conitine's gaze shifted to stare at the Eflian prince, her expression unreadable as she took in his disheveled appearance, the bandage wrapped around his head, and the colorful flower crown perched atop it.

"You are Prince Jasper; Crown Prince of Eflia?" Conitine asked, as she seemed to reassess her initial impression of him. "I heard you have been Ashlar's guest, but did my Nephew not think to provide you with clean attire after you, I assume, were trampled by an elephant?"

Jasper chuckled, mischief glinting in his eyes as he glanced at the queen. "An elephant, huh? Last I checked we didn't have an elephant in the group, unless you're volunteering."

Conitine blinked.

And then Callidus felt an abrupt wave of heat emanating from her direction.

"Excuse me?"

"...Yapper!" Cressida hissed.

"What?" Jasper asked innocently. "If she's come to join the gathering, she should join in the game."

Jasper's remark seemed to break the ice, eliciting a nervous giggle from Fenella and a choked-back squeak from Mint. Tension dissolved into suppressed laughter, as if they were all in on the same joke, except for Roslindis, who remained somber, cradling Varyan in her arms.

Conitine did not appear amused.

"What game?"

Jasper's grin widened and he opened his mouth, but Cressida interjected, "Unfortunately, Your Majesty, I believe our gathering was just ending."

Callidus stepped forward, drawing the attention of everyone in the room. "My apologies for the confusion. I misspoke earlier."

A ripple of surprise swept through the room.

"After all," Callidus continued, his eyes fixed on Cressida, "I had forgotten this was a celebration of our extraordinary engagement. It would be a shame to end it so soon."

Cressida's initial surprise softened into something more tender.

"So, Aunt Conitine, whatever business you came to discuss will have to wait," Callidus declared, "You are, of course, welcome to stay and join in the celebration. After all, family is important during occasions such as these."

Conitine's expression remained composed, though a glimmer of interest flickered in her eyes. She studied Callidus for a moment before surprising him by inclining her head. "I think I shall. Thank you for the – albeit late – invitation."

Approaching the loveseat with regal grace, Conitine's gaze swept over the occupants before settling on Illian with a warm smile. "Illian, I have various gifts waiting in my room for you. Do you still play with the marbles I got you, or are you too old for that now?"

Illian straightened at his aunt's address, excitement evident in his eyes at the mention of gifts. "I still play with them, Aunt Connie. They're my favorite," he replied, his tone reserved but sincere. "I look forward to seeing what you've brought me."

As Queen Conitine settled herself beside Roslindis on the loveseat, the tension in the room seemed to ease, though an undercurrent of discomfort lingered. Despite her close proximity, Conitine still hadn't greeted her sister, and Roslindis remained silent, as if patiently waiting to be addressed.

But instead, Conitine shifted her attention to Fenella. "Countess, you appear as if you have had an eventful morning."

Fenella let out a titter of a laugh, "Yes, Your Majesty. Eventful but enjoyable."

"And were you a witness to my nephew's engagement ceremony?"

Fenella's gaze darted to Callidus as if seeking his approval to respond, but his attention was solely focused on inching closer to Cressida, still delighting in her revelation. (Private engagement ceremony.)

"No, Your Majesty," Fenella answered after a brief pause. "But the concept of a private engagement ceremony is delightful." She giggled. "Perhaps that's how I'll choose to become engaged next."

"If you'd like suggestions for a match, do let me know, dear. You deserve a handsome young man after all those years with Count What-was-his-name."

Conitine then glanced at Roslindis, but instead of talking to her sister, her eyes dipped down to stare at Varyan. "And how is the little one?" she inquired, her tone lacking the warmth she had shown Illian.

Roslindis looked up at her sister, her eyes wary but hopeful, as if seeking some form of acknowledgment. "He's... well," she replied for her son, but Conitine ignored her.

"Varyan," Conitine repeated, "I am addressing you."

Upon hearing his name, Varyan glanced up from the flower crown he had been chewing on. He stared at Conitine for a moment before letting out a string of babble, mimicking a conversation more than actual words.

Conitine arched an eyebrow. "I suppose he appears lively enough." Only then did she turn her full attention to Roslindis. "And how have you been, Sister?" she inquired, polite but lacking genuine curiosity.

Roslindis's lips parted slightly, her expression betraying her relief at finally being addressed directly by her sister. "I...I have been managing, Conitine," she replied, "Thank you for asking. How is everything at home? How...how is your husband? Is he well?"

"Well, he's certainly better than yours," Conitine remarked with a bright laugh.

Roslindis's entire body tensed, but her lips quivered into a smile as if in an attempt to laugh along. "I'm...glad," she replied. "He always reminded me a bit of Father."

Conitine merely hummed in response before turning her attention back to the others, her gaze scanning the room. "Now, what was that game you mentioned before?"

Jasper immediately opened his mouth, but Cressida swiftly replied, "I would love to hear what sort of games you like, Your Majesty. You mentioned marbles. Do you play?"

Conitine's gaze returned to Cressida. "You think I indulge in children's games?"

Cressida's expression shifted into something softer, as she glanced at Jasper. "Sometimes playing games from our childhood can be a reminder of happier times."

"I suppose if you enjoyed your childhood," she said, idly. "The games I prefer require too much preparation for an impromptu gathering such as this. Regardless, this is your celebration, dear. Play what you will. You will find that I am quite adaptable."

Callidus, still basking in the euphoria of their engagement, was determined to maintain a lighthearted atmosphere for everyone. He felt the need to diffuse the tension but wasn't sure how - other than evicting both his aunts from the room. (Though he suspected that might only escalate the tension at this point.)

At a loss, he glanced at Cressida and then at Jasper.

Jasper caught on quickly. "Does anyone have a game in mind?" he asked, nudging Cressida, "Any other childhood favorites, Sis?"

After a brief pause, Illian cautiously spoke up. "There's a Merossian game Mother taught me. It's called Whispers."

At the mention of the title, Queen Conitine let out a surprised laugh. "Whispers? Truly?"

Roslindis's expression softened. "Connie... do you recall when Mother used to gather us for the Morning Greeting?"

Conitine merely sniffed in response, remarking, "I wouldn't have thought 'Whispers' would be a game you'd teach your sons. You only had the three children." Roslindis's smile wavered as Conitine continued, "For those unfamiliar, it's mind-numbingly simple. We form a line, and the person at the front tries to send a 'secret message' to the person at the back. The message is whispered down the line until it reaches the intended person, who announces what they heard. Usually, the message is drastically distorted." She glanced at Illian, "Is that the version you are used to?"

Illian gave a reserved nod. "...Except Mother encouraged us to mumble to make the messages more difficult to understand."

Conitine shot Roslindis a disapproving glance, "You encouraged your children to mumble? No wonder Varyan, nearly three, still cannot speak properly." Her eyes dipped down to examine Varyan with a critical eye. "He's far too small, as well. This is what happens when you coddle them."

Roslindis's smile faded completely.

After a moment, Jasper sprang up from his seat. "Alright, well, I'm always down for new games. Illian, since it was your suggestion, you should take command!"

Illian's eyes widened, nervously glancing towards Callidus, as if afraid of offending him. Sensing his distress, Cressida interjected, "Illian, where do you want Callidus and me to stand?"

Cressida took Callidus's hand, deciding for both of them to play the game. Callidus happily followed along, intertwining their fingers, and shuffling closer until their sides touched. He wondered if she would dance with him later. (Perhaps they could teach everyone the Eflian Springtide dance as a wonderful way to close their celebration.)

"Over here!" Illian said, his tone remarkably more confident. "Let's all line up this way," he gestured towards the open space. As everyone moved into position, Illian began arranging them according to his plan. "...so, you need to be a few steps away from each other," he explained carefully, "that way no one else can hear you whisper."

He glanced towards Roslindis on the loveseat. "...Mother, do...do you want to play?"

"I need to watch your brother," she quietly deflected, causing Illian to deflate.

However, all attention was soon drawn to Conitine as she rose from the loveseat. "Where would you like me to stand, Illian?"

Illian's eyes widened at the unexpected offer, and for a moment, he seemed unsure of how to respond. After a second of hesitation, Illian replied, "Um, you can stand behind me. I'll be the start of the line."

"I thought you didn't like childish games, Your Majesty?" Jasper chimed in with a grin.

Conitine raised her brow at the challenge in Jasper's tone. "Since I invented Whispers, it cannot be classified as childish."

Roslindis blinked at the revelation. "I never knew you invented Whispers, Connie."

Conitine chuckled, a nostalgic glint in her eyes. "What else was there to do whilst standing in line with all the other brats? Waiting for Mother to nod her head at us each morning."

"How many siblings did you have, Your Majesty?" Cressida asked politely, her fingers still intertwined with Callidus's, while he traced silly circles on her skin with his thumb, delighting in the way her hand always fit so perfectly in his.

"Twenty-two," Conitine replied, glancing at Illian, who stared at her in awe. "I am nearly two decades older than your mother, Illian, so it's understandable that she might not have been aware I created your favorite game."

Jasper's eyes widened with fascination. "Twenty-two siblings?" He let out a laugh. "...Cress, can you even imagine?"

"In Meross, as long as you share one parent, you are considered full siblings," Conitine explained, her tone matter of fact. "There's no nonsense about half-siblings or stepsiblings. We were all raised together, and we all competed with each other. Now come, Illian. Take charge of the game properly. Otherwise, I shall be forced to."

Illian jumped, and hastily began to find a place for Arden. While waiting for Illian to arrange everyone, Callidus leaned his head against Cressida, no longer able to refrain from publicly expressing his affection.

He felt Cressida's breath hitch, "Callidus, you're going to knock me over."

"...I'll catch you."

"You might be the one who needs to be caught," she laughed quietly. "And as I learned last night, I'm not strong enough to lift you."

"You're strong, Cressida," Callidus murmured into her hair. "You're stronger than I am."

"What are you two whispering about? The game hasn't started yet," Jasper teased from the back of the line.

As the lineup was finalized, Conitine glanced around, her eyes lingering on the flower crowns adorning everyone's heads. "I admit, I feel underdressed," she remarked. "There's nothing quite like the embarrassment of not adhering to proper dress code."

Without missing a beat, Conitine walked a few paces to the loveseat; Roslindis glancing up in apprehension. Conitine casually plucked the flower crown from the seat and settled it atop her own head, adjusting it with a smug smile.

"Much better," Conitine declared.

Callidus frowned, the sight cutting through his enamored haze.

It was odd seeing Conitine wear the crown he had specially crafted for Roslindis. However, despite the disappointment, he felt a twinge of satisfaction at seeing his creation appreciated, even if it weren't by the intended recipient.

"Alright, Il-lion!" Jasper chimed in once Conitine was back in line. "Since you placed me at the end, I assume you have a special secret message for me."

A shy smile quirked Illian's lips. "Mmhm," he hummed. "Is...is everyone ready?"

Callidus observed with keen interest as his half-brother, (Brother by Merossian standards), initiated the first round of whispers; his expression betraying his excitement at being the one to kick off the game. He walked a few steps to whisper to Conitine, who nodded in understanding before turning.

She approached Callidus and leaned in just as close as strictly necessary to whisper to him. Callidus tensed from the uncomfortable feeling of his aunt being so close to him, but he nodded, and turned to approach Cressida who stood just a few paces behind him.

As Callidus leaned in to repeat the message to Cressida, he couldn't help but linger. He whispered directly into the shell of her ear, before pressing a secret kiss to it, enjoying the way her skin flooded with goosebumps. She batted him off, her rosy expression amused but exasperated, as she turned to walk to Mint.

The message continued to ripple down the line.

"...Sir Arden," Fenella tittered nervously. "Could you repeat that?"

As Arden leaned in to repeat himself, Conitine barked, "Repeating is against the rules. Listen better next time, hm?"

When the message finally reached Jasper, he snorted in amusement. "Alright, so do I reveal it now?" When Illian nodded, Jasper announced, "Your mare is dreaming alone."

The room burst into laughter, more so when Illian revealed the original message, "Your hair is extremely long."

As the game continued, Illian moved to the back of the line and Conitine took his place. She whispered, "I bought you three toy horses," and the words remained nearly unchanged by the time it got to Illian, who visibly brightened at the message. As Callidus took Conitine's place, he decided to diplomatically whisper, "I am glad you are playing," which transformed into: "I am sad at the rain," when it reached Conitine.

Cressida took his place in the lineup, and Callidus reluctantly left her side to go to the end of the line. She met his gaze with a thoughtful smile, before whispering to Mint, setting off the chain.

With bated breath, Callidus watched as the message traveled down the line. His anticipation grew with each passing moment, until finally, it was Conitine's turn to deliver the message to him.

He caught her smug expression, a hint of malice dancing in her dark eyes as she leaned in closer than she had before. But before he could back up, she whispered her message.

"I caught Walerian's blonde accomplice. You should keep a better hold over your prisoners, Nephew."

Callidus froze.

When Conitine pulled back to meet his gaze, her smug expression morphed into something more predatory.

It was clear that she was no longer playing the game.

"Well, Callidus?" Cressida interjected with a warm smile. "What message did I send you?"

Callidus struggled to compose himself, his mind racing with questions and concerns. He glanced around at the expectant faces of the others in the room, their playful anticipation contrasting sharply with the weight of the information Conitine had just shared.

Summoning all his willpower to maintain a facade of normalcy, Callidus forced a strained smile, "I don't know, darling. I think the message became too...distorted."

"That's the whole point of it," Jasper laughed. "Come on, what did you hear?"

"I...I heard 'I love you very much,'" Callidus shakily replied, his mind completely detached from his mouth. His heart sank as he realized the unintended impact of his response – even though he hadn't revealed Conitine's message, he had immediately tainted Cressida's mood.

Jasper's smile turned into a mischievous grin, "Aww, you said that, Cress?"

"No, I..." Cressida protested, her own smile fading. "I actually said, 'You have the most captivating eyes.'"

"Well, same message, different words," he teased. "You two are too cute."

As the others joined in with their own interpretations of the whispered messages, Callidus locked eyes with Cressida in a silent acknowledgment of the tangled truth that still surrounded them, the dream of normalcy poisoned by the reality of their complicated relationship.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.2K 2.8K 14
( YANDERE! EMPEROR X MALE! READER ) โŽฏโŽฏ เญจ เญง โŽฏโŽฏ โ๐“๐‘๐€๐๐๐„๐ƒ ๐ˆ๐ ๐€ ๐“๐–๐ˆ๐’๐“๐„๐ƒ ๐–๐„๐ ๐Ž๐… ๐‹๐Ž๐•๐„. โž ใ€ŒAfter Y/n reincarnates into the popu...
286K 7.6K 55
in what could y/n do to escape from these horrific situations? from those crazy, overly obsessive bastards? (one shots) started: 6/16/22 ended: when...
86.7K 5.3K 38
โ†ณ โ [ ็งใฎๅฌไฝฟใ„ ] โž โ” yandere prince x fem! reader โ”• ๐ˆ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก, a girl raised to be a boy by her mother enters the castle as ...
2.5K 250 33
(Slow burn Yandere adventure) To prevent a war, Princess Cressida is thrust into a perilous union with the crown prince of Ashlar. But her life takes...