parallel lines

By balticonvor

[18/11/23: Rewrote this fic on another site 2 years ago and is still ongoing. Def the better of the two.] Th... More

important
prologue
chapter i
chapter ii
chapter iii
chapter iv
chapter v
chapter vi
chapter vii
chapter viii
chapter ix
chapter x
chapter xi
chapter xii
chapter xiii
chapter xiv
extra.
chapter xv
chapter xvi
chapter xvii
chapter xviii
chapter xix
chapter xx
chapter xxi
chapter xxiii
chapter xxiv
extra.
chapter xxv
chapter xxvi
chapter xxvii
chapter xxviii
chapter xxix
chapter xxx
chapter xxxi
chapter xxxii
chapter xxxiii
chapter xxxiv
epilogue:
epilogue.
extra.
extra.
extra.
extra.
extra.

chapter xxii

3.9K 109 10
By balticonvor

Word Count: 3,857 words

CHAPTER XXII: 鳥なき里の蝙蝠

---

After Natsuko's outburst, the Dai Li hadn't returned to her trail and they didn't ask her about that day or days after where she would just fly away and come back very late. They suspected; well, Sokka did; that she was building her own army to fight against the Dai Li and the King and then let them fight for the Fire Nation during the Day of the Black Sun. Everyone knows Sokka and how he is, he dreamt about it, just with the dream he had about people-eating vegetable and others. But not everyone knew what Natsuko has been keeping secret of all this time, meeting up with Zuko and was better now that Dai Li wasn't there to get her.

Maybe it was a good thing that she did what she had to do, maybe not. But it would be better if they'd find Appa first.

That's it!

She told them that instead of waiting for King Kuei, they'd find Appa. So they looked for printing shops and someone who would be able to draw Appa, entrusting the unrewarding deed to Sokka who has been diligently working his hands and brains off to fully capture the essence of Appa in his masterpieces, only to find out that they already had a picture of Appa and has printed the posters.

"Come on! Let's get busy!" Aang took out the papers and everyone one, with him and Natsuko taking off to the sky, taking the Lower Ring while Aang takes the Middle Ring and the rest being patient in whatever game they were playing. She was happier using her usual clothes, keeping some tops from the King. It felt better flying without the fear of falling or something else weighing her down, who knew that clothes were designed to be that heavy?

She dropped the last of her leaflets, unknowingly tracing the lines to the place Zuko and Uncle were passing by the tea shop they worked in. Before she even tried to come down to have some tea, Aang glided by her and told her that he was finished as well, the two of them flying back to the house. After a few seconds of waiting, a knock come to the door. When Aang opened the door, excited as to whom has seen Appa, he was greeted by Joo Dee who went inside the house without any hesitation, greeting them by the door. The rest of them walked towards her, with a hint of concern, after she left them and was replaced by another person named Joo Dee as well.

No one was really content with Joo Dee had to say, Aang especially after his outburst to the woman and Toph who earthbended the left side of their home as a first step to breaking the rules of the city. They pressed on with putting up posters by the Lower Ring. They all head different directions, Natsuko taking the East side in attempt to be done with putting up the posters, knowing that doing this wouldn't let them find Appa because of the order Long Feng has kept within the walls.

"I should've known that the Avatar was also here in Ba Sing Se." she turned around and saw Zuko with a very familiar expression on his face.

"You didn't ask." she deadpanned and sighed, "I know what you're thinking about."

"Why do you keep on helping him?" his patience wore thin after days itching to ask about the Avatar.

"Why do you keep on looking for him?" his patience wore thin after every question was another one.

"Stop doing and just tell me why!" his patience wore thin after being fooled again and again.

"You don't know who I truly am." she cut him off, hearing Katara grunting in the distance and waterbending somewhere near, "I'll leave you with your thoughts, Zuko, please think all of this through."

She ran towards them before she could hear what he had to say. Her concern right now is finding Appa and helping the Avatar, what happens afterward was just a surprised how close to each other they were and saw them all cornering a man, his body pinned against the wall by ice daggers and his hand was holding something at his back. Sokka was the first to ask, "Katara, what happened?"

"Jet's back." she sounded pissed at the name of the man. Toph didn't know who he was, so did Natsuko, but if he did something to Katara; which was a long list of choices; it wasn't good, "I'm here to help you find Appa!"

A few more banter occurred between the siblings about what Jet's intentions are and showed to them the leaflet he had on his hand the whole time. He explained about how he had changed ever since they met, the three just looking at him with judging eyes while Toph and Natsuko couldn't actually make sense about the whole ordeal of what he could've done to them.

After a few more convincing, mainly for Katara, Jet led them to a warehouse where he said he heard about. It was spacious and empty, no sign of Appa until Toph found a piece of his fur. There was someone else in the building who said something about some royals from Whaletail Island who bought him off for whatever reason. Sokka opened his scroll to look for Whaletail Island if Appa was really there and pointed out that it was somewhere near the Southern Water Tribe, a huge risk to take when they have to take a few weeks just to get to the tip of the Earth Kingdom with no guarantee of safe passage towards there, "I don't care, we have a chance to find Appa, we have to try."

"I'll come with you."

"We don't need your help." Katara stopped from walking to the exit, letting Natsuko and Toph stranded inside as well, just to see what other grudge the waterbender had for the boy.

"Why won't you trust me?" he leaves before he could hear what Katara has to say, "Gee, I wonder."

Natsuko snickered, "Was this guy your boyfriend or something?"

"What? No!" Katara's unsettledness was evident even without Toph feeling the change of breathing or heartbeat.

This time, Toph also snickered, "I can tell you're lying."

Toph didn't speak after that, nothing that even Toph didn't like staying within the walls for so long. Admittedly, Natsuko didn't want to stay behind it either but something wasn't sitting right with her this whole time, maybe the Dai Li, maybe Appa, maybe Zuko. Who knows?

A voice from behind called to the boy who was with them and they saw two people, "I thought you said you didn't have your gang anymore."

"I don't." the voice ran to him and hugged him before asking him, "How did you get away from the Dai Li?"

They all went around the two people, Jet and probably one of his friends from whatever thing they had going on and another person who had a bow and arrow. The person who just called Jet said that he was arrested by the Dai Li a couple of weeks ago whilst Jet was living peacefully in the city, both claims were the truth when Toph tried to pinpoint the liar, "That's impossible."

"No, it's not." Sokka interjected, "Toph can't tell who's lying because they both think they're telling the truth. Jet's been brainwashed."

"Sokka, that's also impossible." Katara said but Natsuko told them all otherwise, "No, Sokka might be onto something."

"How do you know that brainwashing is real?" Aang asked.

"How do you know that brainwashing isn't real?" Natsuko smirked, "It must be same thing the Dai Li did to Joo Dee and the Earth King."

The Avatar and his friends tensed up, realizing her point and looked at Jet who looked back at them as they were gaining up on him, "That's crazy, it can't be! Stay away from me!"

They were led to where the two friends of Jet has been residing in, letting Jet sit in front of them to confront him about his encounter with the Dai Li and what the Dai Li was planning. They must've sent Jet to mislead them to get away from the city, "I bet they have Appa here in the city."

"They must have." Natsuko spoke up, "And knowing Long Feng, after finding out that it was all just a rouse, we won't be able to enter Ba Sing Se without any trouble."

Aang suggested, "Maybe Appa's in the same place they took Jet. We need to find a way to jog his real memories."

"Maybe Katara could kiss him." Natsuko held inside a laugh before Aang could be pissed at her, "Maybe you should kiss him, Sokka."

They tried more of Sokka's much unsuspecting details like grabbing a piece of plant from the mattress and puts in to Jet's mouth. They all waited with the smallest glint of hope, Sokka at least, before Jet told him, "I don't think its working."

"It's an inside wound, Katara." Natsuko tried to suggest, "Maybe a little healing would help him."

Katara nodded and waterbended the water out of her canteen, placing her hands on both sides of Jet's head.

"Try to think of something from your past that triggers your emotions." Toph suggested and the other person with Jet told him about, "The Fire Nation, remember what they did to your family?"

Jet closed his eyes and tried to remember that day before he stopped and knocked off Katara's hands when he leaned forward, "It's too painful."

"I think you should give it a try, Natsuko." Katara said but Natsuko persisted her to keep on doing it, "You should do it, Katara. If he knows who it is, the better he is in ease."

Katara nodded and took the water soaked in the wood, making her at peace as well and in a few seconds he started talking, "They took me to a headquarters under the water, like a lake."

"Lake Laogai."

With confirmation from Jet, they made their way to Lake Laogai which wasn't that far from the city, reaching the place after the sun was already starting to rise. They went there on foot, not stopping until they reached the lake but along the way, Natsuko decided to talk to the two people with them.

"I'm Smellerbee and this is Longshot." Natsuko nodded before introducing herself and asked, "Are your names just code names or?"

"Our names are buried with the memories and people we share it with." Smellerbee started, "The new names are for being a Freedom Fighter, our new family."

"Must be nice having someone to depend to." she smiled at Smellerbee who smiled back at her.

"We're here."

They all gathered by the end of the lake with no visible headquarters of sorts. Toph pointed and led them to a secret passage, down to the Dai Li's secret headquarters where Appa must have been and where they brainwashed Jet and the many Joo Dee's they just passed by. Jet eventually led them to a spacious place where there was no one in, noticing just then when the doors were shut down with everyone inside and showed to them when the lights had gone up. The Dai Li agents were scattered everywhere, on the top hanging by the many chains and in front of them in a V line with Long Feng in the center. Like a bat in a village without birds.

"Take them into custody."

The agents from above came down from the ceiling and was ready to take them out with their gloves made of earth before Toph took them out, Jet came in second by sliding away from the circle to take one agent out of balance. The rest began fighting others while Natsuko had her eyes on the old man, her airbending stance was used for agility and light feet before grounding them to the ground, twisting them to send the toll to his side of the earth. Another agent's glove grabbed her by the back and pulled her towards them, only to airbend their directions and push her away from them all.

"Long Feng is escaping!" usually, it was Aang to follow the person escaping but seeing that he was being apprehended by the agents, Natsuko opt to grab her staff and run towards the escaping criminal with Jet following suit.

"He locked himself-" Jet didn't finish his sentence as Natsuko earthbended the door to tinier pieces and they both saw a glimpse of Long Feng to their right, following him through the dark room. She pounded her foot to the ground, the seismic sense only covering until the entrance and heard water rushing from pipes, "How can you even catch me if you can't even see?"

Natsuko couldn't see where he was, probably somewhere by the walls. The crystal rocks wasn't something she knew how to turn on and off on will so she relied on what her palms could do as of the moment. She made it go brighter and saw Long Feng jumping from his place by the walls to closing the place for anyone else who'll try to come in.

"You're a dual bender?" Long Feng was amused and disappointed at the same time, brightening up the place with the crystals. Natsuko puts out the flame from her hand and looked around, checking if her suspicions were indeed true. She didn't need to bother about the head of the Dai Li's question before seeing him hide his hands within the long robes of his, "You've caused me enough problems, even going so far to brainwashing the King to take your hand in marriage. This is your last chance."

"You accuse me for doing something you did?" she scoffed at him and his claims of brainwashing when they were the ones capable of doing so.

He proposed, "If you want the bison back agree to exit the city now and I'll waive all charges against you and allow all of you to leave with your lost pet."

Jet talked before she could even argue, "You're in no position to bargain."

"Am I not?" the smirk on Long Feng's face looked more sinister with the lighting of the place, "Jet, the Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai."

Jet's face turned blank, willing to accept the invitation, and swung his tigerheads on her direction. She dodged and kept on asking him to stop from fighting her but he didn't listen. Now, the man was making fun of his past with the Fire Nation, letting him know that the spirit in front of him was a firebender as well. His pupils were dilated, just like the two Joo Dee's they've encountered. He must've been in a trance, maybe something about what Long Feng said caused to trigger the brainwashing.

Her first thought was a sort of herb that caused people to go on a frenzy upon intake through digesting orally or inhaling since the black of their eyes are abnormally larger, breathing has hitched, but their body is much stronger than it is. But seeing Jet was already taking a toll on his health, she needed to snap him out of it before anything permanent.

All this thought had Natsuko distracted and Jet was able to slash the girl in the cheek, another gash to deal with later, "Jet, I know we're not acquainted well enough but hear me out."

She waterbended the water's coming out and was unable to freeze it due to the heat deep down and her mediocre skills. So she used earth instead to keep him from attacking, "You don't have to do this, Jet."

"I'm afraid he has no choice." Long Feng took down the earth pillars holding Jet to let him strike again, only to see that Jet was only standing still, "Do your duty, Jet."

Jet's breathing was more evident as he heaved to catch for it his clock has started to tick in his mind, making him more rabid for breath, "You need to calm down. Smellerbee and Longshot needs you and everyone who depends on you. You're Freedom Fighters, you're a Freedom Fighter."

His eyes widened and took back to its original shape, a snarl appearing as Long Feng kept on telling him to fight Natsuko. He turned around to attack the man with a shout but was eventually knocked over by the earthbending. She didn't have time to catch Long Feng and picked Jet before his head would hit the ground, waterbending the pipe water and did her best to take away the dirt mixed with it before using it to heal him.

"Did I do that to you?" Jet asked Natsuko and touched the gash on her cheek, rubbing it as if it was just dirt on her face. She shook her head frantically and continued to move her hands on his chest, "Don't strain yourself, Jet,

"I'm sorry, Jet." she puts down her hands surrounded by water and he just smiled at her, "I'm sorry too."

They were surrounded by the rest of them when she realized that they just apologized to each other, smiling at him which he returned. His two friends told them to find the bison and they'll take care of Jet. Natsuko stood up and apologized before Longshot told them, "There's no time. Go."

"Don't worry, I'll be fine."

Toph, Natsuko, and Longshot were the only people who knew the truth.

They hit the surface in a matter of seconds after seeing that they already took Appa, the first place they'll be if they're going to transport a large animal. The Dai Li surrounded them from every direction with Long Feng in front of them, before expanding the rock wall at their fronts and backs. Momo's frantic sounds made Aang aware that he was trying to tell them something, all watching as Momo flies to the sun and in came Appa. The bison helped them take down the dozens of agents and also threw Long Feng to the lake by his foot, undoubtingly leaving a mark, before he was greeted by everyone.

Natsuko kept on telling him sorry for several reasons, so it wasn't a surprise to the others when he just growled and licked her before bringing them to a nearby island to take a break from everything. After a few minutes of debating whether or not to come back to the Earth King and tell about the plan, which after a while was agreed between the majority to come back and finally go through the plan. They successfully infiltrated the palace whilst apologizing to the Dai Li and kept on coming in.

"Toph, which way to the Earth King?"

"How should I know? I'm still voting we leave Ba Sing Se."

Natsuko passed by through them and headed for the biggest door in the place, "Follow me."

The three earthbenders took down the doors which led to the King's throne room, where the King, Long Feng, and Bosco was, along with a few Dai Li agents who went to a single file and a fighting stance. They resumed to fighting stance as well before the King stands up.

"You invade my palace, lay waste to all my guards, break down my fancy door, and you expect me to trust you?" the King looked to Natsuko, "You are also part of the resistance?"

"My King, this is no resistance." Natsuko said to him and he said, "If you're on my side, then drop your weapons and stand down."

They did what he asked and the Dai Li agents locked their hands behind them, hearing Long Feng speak, "Detain the assailants. Make sure the Avatar and his friends never see daylight again."

"The Avatar?" he pointed at Sokka who then pointed towards the direction of Aang, raising his hands to show who he is, "What does it matter, your Highness? They're enemies of the state."

The Earth King trusted his advisor and second his thought until Bosco went near Aang and Natsuko, letting his childish tendencies rule and lets them talk, "Well, sir, there's a war going on right now, for the past 100 years, in fact. The Dai Li's kept it secret from you, a conspiracy to control the city and control you."

Now that was something a child would be delighted to hear in a sense of imagination was the only limit. The King was having a hard to believe the Avatar's claims, even if it came from someone like the Avatar. They tried to prove that the city wasn't safe at all, first by showing the mark Appa left on Long Feng's leg which was proven true but not quite for a war. After a few minutes, they let the King experience life outside the palace walls to bring him to Lake Laogai which would just expose the many secrets the Dai Li has been keeping but the entranceway has been destroyed.

"Long Feng was right, this was a waste of time. If you'll excuse me, I'm going back to the palace."

After a long silence, Katara mentioned, "The wall! They'll never be able to cover that up in time."

Natsuko ran up to the King, "My liege, if you come with us to the outer wall, we can prove to you that the secret war is real."

"No Earth King has been to the outer wall." he looked at her directly in the eye, "You did not have even the slightest decency to tell me all those times about this even after the proposal. I don't even know your name."

She bowed to him, covering her widened eyes and the crucial points he just pointed out, "My name is Natsuko, your honor, and just like Long Feng is to you, I am the Avatar's most trusted Advisor over the past thousands of years. You were right when there were no Earth King who has been through the Outer Wall but wouldn't you like to be the first one?"

He walked by her, "I don't have any more time for this nonsense."

"If you come with us, this time you can ride on Appa." after Sokka said that, everyone knew that the King wouldn't be able to resist.

The next frame depicted was of them flying through Appa, while Aang and Natsuko were on their gliders. They finally came to which part of the wall it was and showed that the war was real, even if the King did not want it to be. Even after the two opposite sides debating on what was the truth or not, the Earth King looked between the Avatar and the person he asked to marry despite not knowing anything about her, including her name, and his most loyal attendee who has been his guide ever since he has ascended to throne at a young age.

Between the two choices, a normal person would've chosen the latter, so it was a shock to hear the King say:

"Dai Li, arrest Long Feng."

---

Yes, Jet is dead.

The resolve between Natsuko and her many royal problems ends on the next chapter, a pattern I'm beginning to see that I don't like. 

Stay safe always y'all!

- Amboo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 178 29
"You love him, don't you? I see the way you look at him. It's like he's your whole world. I can't possibly blame you for falling in love with someone...
897 37 6
The Hundred Year War is over. Peace rules the world in an unprecedented way. The world is starting to heal from the mistakes of the past. It's been...
88.4K 2.4K 23
Kya, Sokka's twin and Katara's older sister sets off on a journey through the Earth Kingdom with Zuko and Iroh in hopes of being able to spark a chan...
430K 12.4K 110
Sokka x oc Under revision (new chapters and new art on the way) I promise there's happy stuff too but happy stuff doesn't need a warning. ⚠️ Trigger...