As Potter is to Snape

By ScarlettWriter91

Severus Snape has agreed to take in Harry Potter during the summer before his Third Year. Temporarily. Just u... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Epilogue

Chapter 15

1.8K 70 12
By ScarlettWriter91

A few days after Harry's birthday, he was sitting against the headboard of his bed with his new Defense book propped up against his knees. He had been pouring over the book since Snape had given it to him and he wondered what Snape would say if he asked him to teach him one of the spells inside it.

Harry snorted. He didn't have to wonder because he could practically hear Snape now, asking him why he thought he would ever need to actually learn such spells and that Harry, the arrogant rule breaker that he was, had probably already tried at least a dozen of the spells on his own anyway. Still, he thought, it couldn't hurt to just ask.

Just then, there came a knock at Harry's door and Snape opened it before stepping inside. He stood beside Harry's desk, his face impassive as he asked, "Did you finish your chores for today, Potter?"

Harry nodded as he set his book aside before swinging his legs off the side of the bed. "Yes."

Snape's forehead crinkled. He took a step closer to the bed, folding his arms across his chest. "You did? All of them?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yes, Snape." He held up his hand and started ticking off with his fingers. "I cleaned up after breakfast, then you watched me as I cleaned those cauldrons in your lab. I dusted the parlor and cleaned up my room and bathroom. I even polished the dining room table and mopped the floors. Without magic." When Snape only raised an eyebrow at him, Harry smirked, "Honestly, Snape, you're going to have to do better than that if you're trying to make it hard."

"Watch it, young man," Snape warned but Harry just glared evenly back at him.

"So can I go flying then?" Harry asked suddenly, jumping off the bed. "I want to test out the school brooms."

"Maybe later," Snape answered. He turned to straighten up the pile of papers littering Harry's desk and said, "I have to go to a meeting with the Headmaster in a moment and I want you to stay inside."

Harry's shoulders slumped but he didn't argue. He had been working very hard on keeping his temper in check and he wasn't about to lose it over this. He had already been down this road several times since coming to live with Snape and it never worked out when he pushed the man after he had already said no. Instead, Harry decided to change the subject entirely and turned to pick up his book from where he had left it on the bed.

"Fine." He said glumly. "I'm going to study my book in the parlor then."

Snape inclined his head and followed him out of the room and down the hall to the parlor where Harry dropped down onto the couch, pulling his feet up into the cushion.

"Shoes off the couch." Snape absently said as he used his wand to spell flames into the fireplace.

Harry, who had already opened his book, merely kicked off his shoes and resumed his position on the couch. Before he lost his nerve, he asked, "Do you think you could teach me some of these spells sometime?"

To Harry's surprise, Snape actually looked as if he were considering his request. "Do you have any particular spell in mind?"

Harry gave the first spell he could think of before Snape could change his mind. "Reducto?"

Snape hummed in response as he replaced his wand inside the sleeve of his robes. "That's a fourth-year spell, Potter."

Harry nodded. "I know."

Snape seemed to be giving it a great deal of thought and Harry was sure that he was going to deny his request. Finally, though, Snape nodded. "Perhaps tomorrow." Then he added, "If you behave."

Harry grinned. "Thanks, Snape."

Snape began to walk to the door as he said, "I will be back shortly. Stay inside."

Harry was already immersed in his book by the time Snape shut the door behind himself.

***

Snape made his way to Dumbledore's study and knocked twice on the door before hearing the older man call out to him. As he stepped inside, he noticed immediately that Dumbledore didn't seem at all his usual self. There was no twinkle in his bright blue eyes and he sat quietly behind his desk, his hands steepled in front of him. He didn't even take a moment to greet Snape or offer him a lemon drop as he normally would. Instead, he sighed heavily and spoke quietly, "He has been spotted again."

Snape sat down in the chair across from him. "Where?" He asked immediately.

"Not far from the Weasley's home. Just last night."

"He must think that Potter is with them," Snape said. "Are they back from Egypt yet?"

Dumbledore shook his head. "No, I wrote to Arthur as soon as I heard the news last night and I expect that I'll hear back from him soon. I believe they were due to come back the last week of this month."

Snape sighed. "What are you thinking?"

Dumbledore took a moment to answer, but finally said, "I think it might be time for you and Harry to leave Hogwarts until school starts."

Snape didn't bother to argue. "Very well."

"I will go this afternoon and reinforce the wards around the manor. You and Harry should be able to be there by tomorrow morning."

Snape nodded and looked away.

"Something else troubles you, Severus?"

Snape took a deep breath. "Black may not be our only problem. Lucius sent word this morning."

Realization seemed to dawn on Dumbledore and he gave a soft smile. "Ah, young Mr. Malfoy's visit."

"With everything going on," Snape said, "I had forgotten all about it."

For the first time since Snape had entered his office, the twinkle was back in Dumbledore's eyes as he smiled even more broadly. "Well, it will certainly be interesting."

***

Back down in their quarters, Harry had just finished rereading the chapter on the Jelly Legs Curse when he heard a knock at the door. He set the book on the coffee table before going over and answering the door.

Professor Lupin stood on the other side. "Hello, Harry." The man held out his hand for Harry to shake. As Harry took it, he said, "We haven't officially met yet, have we."

"No, sir," said Harry, "but Snape, er, I mean, Professor Snape, told me who you are. It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise," Lupin said with a bright smile. "I don't suppose Professor Snape is here?"

Harry shook his head. "No, he's at a meeting with Professor Dumbledore, but you can come inside if you like."

Lupin nodded. "Thank you, Harry."

Harry led the way into the parlor and he and Professor Lupin both took seats on opposite sides of the couch.

"Thank you, by the way," Harry spoke up, "for saving me that day. I probably could have died if it weren't for you."

"Think nothing of it," Lupin assured him with a hand held up. "I'm just glad I happened to be in the right place at the right time."

"I was going to come and thank you in person," Harry said, "I was just, um-"

Lupin smiled easily. "I imagine you were in a bit of trouble after that from the way that Professor Snape was acting. I got the impression that you weren't supposed to be out there."

The knowing way that Lupin spoke caused Harry's cheeks to heat up and he lowered his gaze to the couch cushion. "Yeah, a bit."

Lupin chuckled but seeing that Harry was embarrassed, decided to change the subject. "So how do you like living with Professor Snape?"

Harry looked up at that. He didn't know why, but after only minutes of knowing this man, Harry already felt comfortable around him. "I thought I would hate it," he answered honestly. "But then, I dunno, it's been sort of okay, actually."

Lupin smiled warmly once more. "Severus certainly takes some getting used to."

Harry grinned. "Definitely. Do you know him well?"

Lupin puzzled over the question for a moment before finally answering with a small frown. "It's a bit complicated, but no, I didn't know him as well as I probably could have. We went to school together. We were in the same year, in fact, but we didn't get along very well. Different houses you see."

Harry nodded. "What house were you in?"

Lupin pulled his tattered, brown jacket aside to reveal a small, scarlet and gold pin attached to his lapel. "I'm quite proud to say that I was in Gryffindor."

Harry smiled, thinking for the second time in as many minutes, that he really liked the man in front of him. Harry wanted to ask Professor Lupin whether or not he had known his parents, but before he had the chance, the door opened up and Snape strode through. He stopped short when he saw Harry sitting on the couch with Lupin and he raised an eyebrow at the boy.

Both Lupin and Harry stood up but it was Lupin that spoke.

"Sorry to just barge in, Severus. I thought you had said eleven."

Snape turned to him. "I did, but I was called away for a few moments. I have what you need in my lab."

The two older men headed for the lab and Harry made to follow them, however, Snape stopped him with a hand on his shoulder. "You are to stay out here."

Harry, who had gotten used to being permitted in the lab, looked confused. "But why?"

"Because I said so," Snape replied firmly. "We won't be long, and then we will have lunch."

Harry felt disgruntled but nodded anyway. When he caught Lupin's eye, the older man gave him a wink when Snape's back was turned, making Harry grin again before he headed back to the couch to resume reading his book.

***

Nearly thirty minutes later, Snape and Lupin emerged from the lab and Harry stood up from his place on the couch.

"I really enjoyed talking to you today, Harry," Lupin said with a smile. "Maybe we can do it again one day soon."

"I'd like that."

Lupin stuck out his hand and Harry shook it before he made his way to the parlor door. Before he walked out though, he turned back to look at Snape. "Thank you, Severus."

Snape merely inclined his head towards the man and Lupin gave a small wave at Harry, then turned on his heel and left.

Harry turned around to find Snape staring at him. "What?" He asked. "Why are you looking at me like I did something wrong?"

"Did you?" Snape asked, his arms crossing over his chest as he raised his eyebrow at him.

"No!" Harry exclaimed, defensively. When Snape continued to stare at him, he said, "I haven't, Snape. You told me to stay inside when you left and I did. You told me to stay out here while you and Professor Lupin went to the lab and I did that too. I didn't do anything."

Snape smirked at him then and Harry realized that Snape was teasing him. It was a rare occurrence, but it had happened a few times in the last couple of weeks and Harry was finding that he sort of liked the back and forth that he had developed with the man.

Snape walked around to his armchair and sat down.

"Come and take a seat, Potter. We need to talk." He said seriously.

Harry immediately tensed up. His shoulders drew back as he stood up straight. Any teasing from a moment ago was gone, in its place, Harry felt the familiar pang of unease at what Snape could want to talk to him about.

"About what?"

Snape noticed the change in the boy and motioned towards the couch with his right hand before saying, "I just have some news for you, that's all. Now, come and sit down."

Harry sighed but did as he was asked. He took a seat at the end of the couch, drawing his legs up so that his knees were in front of his chest.

"Sirius Black was spotted in Ottery St. Catchpole. Very close to the Weasley's home." Snape said, getting straight to the point. Harry's eyes widened.

"Are they okay?" He demanded to know.

"They're fine," Snape answered, holding up his hand again. "They are still in Egypt and the Headmaster has written Mr. Weasley and he is awaiting a response from him as we speak."

Harry relaxed a little as he nodded.

Snape continued though he seemed to be trying to choose his words wisely.

"I know you want information, and I'm prepared to give you some, but I want your word, Potter, that you will not, under any circumstances, go looking for Black."

"Why would I-" Harry started but Snape interrupted him.

"Your word, Potter. I mean it."

"Alright," agreed Harry, "I promise I won't go looking for a deranged murderer."

Snape scowled. "It isn't funny." When Harry only nodded, Snape took a breath and said, "Sirius Black was a follower of the Dark Lord. He had been a spy for him and no one knew it."

"Like you?" Harry asked.

A few days ago, when Harry and Snape had talked about how that Snape would have to play the part of the evil potions professor while at school, Snape had told him about how when he was younger he had become a spy for Dumbledore. He wanted Harry to know why they couldn't ever be open about the guardianship and how doing so would blow his cover and would put them both in terrible danger. Harry had taken the news well but he still didn't like the idea that Snape was still planning to be mean to him in class.

"Yes," Snape answered, "except that he was a spy for the wrong side. He let everyone believe that he was working against the Dark Lord but really, he was taking information to him. The problem was that we didn't find out until it was too late. When your parents were killed and the Dark Lord was destroyed, Black blamed you. He's spent the last twelve years in Azkaban, biding his time. Now that he's out, we had assumed it was because he was after you. But now with the sightings in Hogsmeade and near the Weasley's, we are certain that getting to you is his main goal."

Snape gave Harry a moment to let that sink in before he went on. Harry, for his part, didn't seem very surprised.

"I didn't do anything that night." He finally spoke quietly as he studied the tops of his knees.

Snape shook his head. "It doesn't matter. It's clear that he does not see it that way. And that is why it is absolutely imperative that you do everything in your power to stay safe. It is my job as your guardian to keep you safe, but I can't do that if you disobey me at every turn. Do you understand?"

Harry glumly nodded. "Yes, sir," he mumbled.

"The Headmaster and I have decided that now might be the time to leave the castle until the start of term. We will be leaving for my home in the morning, so tonight, I want you to pack your trunk with everything you wish to take with you."

Harry looked up at that. "You're actually going to take me to your house?"

Snape nodded. "You'll have your own room there as well, though it's quite a bit bigger than here. It should be up to your tastes." He added with a smirk, causing Harry to roll his eyes.

"It better be," Harry said lightly.

Snape cleared his throat then before he continued. "There's just one more thing we need to go over." Harry waited expectantly, but what Snape said next caused his mouth to fall open and a lead weight dropped in his stomach.

"Draco Malfoy will be coming to visit for a week."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 60.9K 59
"Anyone you excited to finally meet?" she asked. "Harry Potter obviously! Then again, my dad does talk about this other boy a lot and from what I've...
152K 4K 20
(Y/n) (Y/l/n). A 5th year Hogwarts student. 16 years old. A Gryffindor and a muggle-born. Very kind, very nice, and very very lonely. Severus Snape...
60.7K 2.2K 7
Her entire 5th year at Hogwarts felt like a cauldron boiling perilously out of control, ready to explode at any given point. So when Hermione catches...
56.7K 2.1K 32
Emma Moore, professor in Healing at Hogwarts, has to suppress her feelings for her old best friend and now colleague Severus Snape, who she hasn't se...