PROWESS. (COMPLETED)

By MaryEden08

Prowess (ˈpraʊɪs) 1. Outstanding or superior skill or ability. 2. Bravery or fearlessness, esp in battle. Th... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
PLEASE READ - Author's Note
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Author's Note
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Author's Note
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
READERS - HELP PLEASE
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Epilogue
Author's Note - What Happens Next

Chapter 42

11K 504 15
By MaryEden08

Kellen POV;

Restlessness and agitation were kicking in again; I hadn't spoke to Ana since she'd cut our evening short. That was TWO DAYS AGO! I'd left messages with her Beta, Rick, to give her; she'd been busy every time I'd tried to contact her. Another worry hit me; she couldn't know about the letter, could she? No. I don't think so. What about that look in her eye before she'd left? I couldn't place it...like she was searching me for something. You're just being paranoid...guilty people get paranoid...taunts my conscience.

I need to see her! No good pacing my room, I'd go see her. Throwing on a shirt, some shoes and a jacket, I grab my car keys and head down to the garages. Dad caught me on the stairs, "Where are you going, Kellen?" Of course it wouldn't be that easy to leave the house. I huff impatiently.

"To see Ana." Like I'd be going anywhere else.

"Take two Royal guards with you," Is his sole reply before he disappears as quickly as he appeared. I make the journey a fast one. My stomach drops as I knock on the front door; maybe I should have given her some warning?

The door opens to reveal her pack Beta, Rick. "Is Ana here?" I ask after a moment, giving him some time to recover from his surprise at seeing me.

"Er, no. She's out at the moment. She's actually due back soon, would you like to come in and wait?"

"Sure." I step in and look around, assuming more interest in the house than I had when visiting this pack on the Royal check; I didn't realize how homely it looked, very comfortable. "Did you pass on my messages?" I question as I look at the pictures of Ana and her pack, which I could remember for certain weren't here when we last visited. Each displayed smiling/grinning faces on fun days out; they looked more like a large family than a pack.

"Yeah. Would you like a drink?"

"Water, please." I look around; my curiosity roused at noticing Rick seemed to be the only one here. "Where's the rest of the pack?"

"Working." He doesn't elaborate as he hands me the water. My wolf senses his guardedness around me, despite his posture seeming relaxed as he leans against the kitchen counter; my eyes drop to some files peeking around under his arm, I'd have thought nothing of them if he didn't then adjust his stance to hide them. "So..." Begins Rick.

"So...where's your mate?"

"Running errands," he shrugs vaguely. "Been up to much, your Majesty?"

"Call me Kellen; I'm not here in official capacity," He nods. "And not much really, royal duties mostly." I mimic his shrug. My wolf bristles under the awareness that this was some kind of test; for what, I wasn't sure, nor was I entirely comfortable with it. It made me want to assert my dominance, but this was neither the time, nor the place and I'm sure Ana wouldn't appreciate it.

Our eyes both shoot to the door as it sounds open, my mood brightens blindingly when Ana steps through the door; her arms were full, one with a box, the other her bag, but she looked as beautiful as ever in her smart attire of black pencil skirt, white blouse and blazer. "Prowess." Bowed Rick, formally. Ana freezes, assesses him momentarily before her gaze finds mine, a smile pulls at the edges of my mouth; flickering her gaze back, she addresses Rick. Did she just brush me off? Tension knots in my stomach; she must have somehow found out about the letter... I dismiss the thought, knowing that there is no way she could have found out, and even if she had her reaction is too cool and collected in any case.

That being the case, I look closer at Ana's appearance; her hair was tied back in a bun but wisp of hair had escaped and were framing her face, her expression was collectedly controlled, yet if you really studied her face, her cheeks lacked a little colour, there were well hidden bags under her eyes and tension lay within her jaw. Her overall posture stood erect and stiff; concern immediately plagued me, maybe something bad had happened and that was why none of her other pack members were here? Why Ana had been so busy she'd been unable to answer my calls?

"Kellen?" She asks softly; the files Rick had been trying to hide had now replaced the box she'd been carrying. Rick has also disappeared, "Shall we?" She gestures towards her office. I hate how formal she sounds. Once inside her office, I wait but don't sit down.

"What's wrong?" I ask immediately, stepping towards her. She instead makes her way around her desk- putting space between us, brushing me off again- I hate it, even more than the tormented look that crosses her expression as she glimpses inside one of the files Rick gave her before putting them inside a draw and sitting down tiredly.

"Pardon?" She asks, realizing I'd spoken. I clench my jaw, frustrated at her behaviour. "I don't understand what you're getting frustrated about," she continues, narrowing her eyes. "Yes, I have been getting your messages but no I haven't replied because I've been busy-" I make to say something but she holds up her hand and continues, while I'm momentarily surprised by the authority of the action- "besides, you're no doubt feeling how I felt, the last evening with your family."

It's my turn to narrow my eyes, "What do you mean?"

"Kellen, I'm not oblivious- so do me the favour and don't assume I am. It's not my business what was in that letter unless you choose to share it with me, but I got the distinct impression I wasn't welcome once it had been read and mentally shared with your family."

"You felt excluded?" I frown, feeling guilty again- Ana's right, I'd been treating her as oblivious, not expecting her to be nearly as observant as she really is. She raised her eyebrow in reply, clearly understanding my train of thought.

"Look," She begins again, standing and coming to stand in front of me- instinctively I wrap my arms around her and feel instantly more at peace for it, "I'm not trying to start an argument or deliberately make you feel guilty- just please try to understand-"

"I get it, we're both going to have things work wise we cant share with each other- we're just going to have to figure how to not let that effect out relationship." My guilt increases, could that letter be classed as royal business? I suppose it could be...I planned for it to be resolved before Ana had to know about it, so maybe I could avoid sharing it with her? "I'm sorry that you felt that way, it won't happen again. Is everything OK with you- I notice your pack is absent?"

"We're just busy. There's a lot of work to be done- we're fine." She kisses me, distracting me from a strange look I see cross her eye. I drop the thought and instead focus on being in the moment with her. "How about you spend some time here this evening? I could properly introduce the pack?"

"Sounds good, in the mean time you could give me a tour of the place?" I volunteer, hoping to spend as much time with her as I could before I had to go back and face any answers to the enquiries I'd had Brody make about the letter... I shudder at the prospect; it felt like I was standing on the tip of a double-edged sword- either side would cut deep if I slipped.

Around lunchtime, after the tour and as we were having a picnic in the grounds- my phone rings. "Sorry-" I apologize to Ana who shrugs in a 'what can you do' kind of way, "Hello?"

"Kellen," Begins Dad, authoritive, "You are to come back immediately, Alpha Roheim has been in touch with an issue about his paperwork for the policy; you and Maxim are to go and see him."

"That will mean staying over in the pack?" I make it a question, although thinking of how far away Alpha Roheim's pack was- we'd be staying the night regardless, even if we left today we wouldn't reach the pack till nightfall.

"Yes. Get back here now please. I want to go over the details for the journey." Leaving the order hanging, he hangs up and I sigh, turning to Ana whose expression is full of understanding.

"I'm gonna have to take a rein check on meeting your pack, my royal duties call." I tell her- the resignation prominent in my tone; I really don't want to leave her.

"It's OK, just make sure you stay safe. Don't worry about all this, I'll clear up," She motions to the picnic "Rick's inside the house, he'll show you out." Thanking her, our kiss is lingering since neither of us wanted to part but eventually I pull back and head back- wondering what issue Alpha Roheim could have with his paperwork that requires a visit rather than a phone-call....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND WE ARE BACK! I have missed you all! Thank you so much for waiting, my exams are all over - dooms day is in August...

Anyway, COMMENTS & VOTES please? I love hearing from you! :D

Next upload = 12th July

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

571K 13K 45
''Alpha Ross Lynch of Black Night pack!'' the man said and everybody looked up the stairs. And there stood the most amazing looking man I have ever s...
125 4 15
Ka'niya Hines was a omega that came from the The Nightshade pack. she's a special werewolf with blue fur and grey eyes. there's not many like her ove...
905 12 27
This is about a female girl Olivia, Liv for short, that is daughter of the alpha. she is the youngest of her kind to become an alpha. she hates when...
689K 21.5K 55
"Go ahead, kill me," she dared. "And why would I do that?" he stalked closer, a glint in his dark eyes. "Why not? Isn't that what you came here for?"...