Bugs, Boys and Boxes (Amphibi...

By VoltzyVoltz

The Calamity Box is an ancient relic from amphibia, capable of helping the user travel through worlds. Howeve... More

Through the portal
Beach bug or bed bug
Cane't hold us by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
Nestfriends
Pizza tower
Y/N's gone mad
Bad bugs, whatcha want, whatcha want, whatcha gonna do?
Sussus Froggus
Snail Tales
Is this a good F-Anne-fic?
Boss Sprig
The Human Way
Love Frogs
Anne-xtreme Camping
Nurse Y/N
Visiting The Family
Saving Stumpy's Super Sick Saloon
The IRS will never get my taxes
Y/N's Theme Song Takeover
Grubhog Day- 1993 starring Y/N Murray
Drop it like it's Hop, drop it like it's Pop
War-twood
Hop-Trump vs Joe Toadstool
Authors Note
Polly and Y/N
The Bazaar Bizarre ... or was it the other way around?
Mordecanne, Sprigby and Y/Nson
A Huge Thank You
Forgiveness is a dish best served sung
Pheromonial Outbursts
Ba-dee-ya, say, do you remember? Ba-dee-ya, partyin' in Wartwood-ember
Toad Tower Trouble
Start of Season 2 Authors Note
New Season, New Start
Team Y/N-Pop: Where the fun will never start
The Sorta-Sibling Special!
ART MOTHERFUCKERSSSSSSSS
EAT THE RICH
The Stranger From the Portal and A Failed Mission
M-M-M-M-Marcy Woooooooooooo
The Newtopia Scavenger Hunt

The Travelling Bug Circus

330 9 15
By VoltzyVoltz

10 years ago

Y/N, Ant and Mantis were all sitting around a giant dome, thousands of other insects around them and made great applause as a giant centipede stood in the middle, raising his many arms. Carrow loved the attention he gained and soaked himself in the applause.

Carrow: Good evening ladies and gentlebugs! We've certainly got a show for you tonight. Now, as you all know each year we hold our annual bugtertainer competition where we give one of you ordinary gits to be a super star, like me!

Y/N's ears perked up as he listened eagerly. A great applause erupted around the stadium once again as Carrow laughed in a booming voice.

Carrow: Thank you! Thank you! I know, I'm too kind. Now, lets all welcome our newest bugtertainer to the stage, Daryll!

A nervous looking cockroach who must've been Daryll walked out on stage, fidgeting his many hands. The applause tripled as Daryll entered the stage and Carrow side-eyed him with a horribly wide and toothy grin.

Carrow: Yes, yes! Now, let the show begin!

As the show played out, all Y/N was able to think was how cool it would be to perform on stage with someone that fantastic. He had to do it. He would do it.

Present Day

Y/N: So, thats why I've decided I'll be competing in the competition for bugtertainer this year.

Ant and Mantis stared at him with shocked faces. Mantis cleared his throat and began speaking.

Mantis: Are you sure you want to do this? Many other older and more ... experienced bugs will be competing against you and I don't want to see you disappointed.

Y/N: Relax, Mantis, I'll be fine. I've been practicing my comedy. For example, what do you call a sword made out of grass? A blade of grass?

Y/N laughed hysterically and Ant groaned deeply.

Ant: Even the face elongator joke is better than that.

Y/N: Guys, please. You know how much this means to me, I just want you two to be there when I'm competing. If it turns out to be a fail then I'll never speak of it again.

Ant and Mantis looked at eachother for a moment and nodded.

Mantis: Alright, you do your best now and go tell your other friends to come along, I'm sure they'll want to see you with this aswell.

Y/N made a squeak of excitement and wrapped his arms around their necks and brought them in for a hug.

Y/N: I love you guys! Alright, I'll be off then byeee!

He took off and speedily flew through the forest and crashed through the Plantar door. They were all at the table eating their breakfast.

Hop Pop: Dang it, Y/N! That's the third door we've had to replace now!

Y/N: Sorry Hop Pop! I'll pay you back when I get rich!

Anne: Rich? How you gonna do that? Win a contest or something?

Y/N: You'd be wrong, Anne! You see, there's a contest coming up-

Anne: But I just said-

Y/N: -and its for the annual bugtertainer title in Carrow's Big Bug Circus!

Sprig: Big Bug Circus? What's that?

Y/N: It's a place every bug is invited to, it travels in no distinct pattern and only stays in one spot a day and then poof, its gone and appears somewhere else across the planet. I've always wanted to compete in the Bugtertainer competition but you have to be thirteen to enter.

Anne: That seems a bit young, doesn't it?

Y/N: Bug years work different to your kinds of years. Mantis and Ant are actually only twenty nine.

Anne: Damn, they look good, well about as good as a 10 foot mantis can get. What product does he use?

Y/N chose to ignore that question and carried on.

Y/N: So do you lot wanna come see how I do? It'll be a brand new adventure?

The others didn't need to think and gladly came along.

Hop Pop: Well of course we'll come along if it means this much to you, Y/N.

Y/N: Great! Thank you guys so much. Ok, once you're all ready I'll take you guys to Ant and Mantis and they can lead the way.

It didnt take long before they had all left the Plantar farm and met up with Ant and Mantis. Y/N had Hop Pop and Sprig sit on Mantis's back and Anne and Polly on Ant's back.

Y/N: Alright, when we get there I want all non-bugs out of sight. They don't exactly take kindly to people outside the insect class.

Polly: What about you?

Y/N: Polly, please. I've been going here ever since I could walk. Besides my wings and claws can do enough to trick them. Bugs don't exactly have the largest brains.

He said that last bit quiet enough in hopes Ant and Mantis wouldn't hear, and judging by the overdramatic face of betrayal Ant had just pulled he assumed he had failed.

It didn't take long before they reached a giant parting of leaves, shaped like curtains. Each person riding Ant or Mantis hid behind their respective mount's head as they made their way through. A giant line of rushing insects leading into the main stadium was infront of them and next to it was a smaller line of maybe 6 insects with a large black beetle standing infront of what can only be assumed to be the backstage area. One of the insects he quickly recognised, being Daryll, the champion running for 10 years straight, now seeming to make it to 11.

Y/N: Ok, you guys all stick together and get to your seats, I'll queue up with the other contestants. Wish me luck!

They all gave him their praise as they joined the flow of bugs into the stadium. The other insects included a dull looking moth, a vibrant butterfly, a shiny looking ladybug, an elderly looking cricket and a hyperactive dragonfly that zipped around excitedly. She seemed so excited that she bumped into Y/N several times and profusely apologising each time.

Y/N: You seem excited about the competition it seems.

He smiled sweetly at her. If he were unable to win the competition the least he could do was make some new friends.

Grace: Oh, yeah. Hi! I'm Grace. Sorry! It's just- wow you're tall, umm, sorry! I'm just so excited about this! It's my first ever time being on stage! Of course I'll never win.

Y/N: Don't be ridiculous, Grace, of course you can win!

Grace shook her head quickly.

Grace: Nope! Everyone knows trying to compete against Daryll is pointless. He wins each competition like his life is depending on it!

He looked past Grace to Daryll and saw him flinch and shudder. He shrugged it off, Daryll did seem a little odd ever since he came on stage for the first time.

Y/N: Well I'm sure if you give it you're all then you'll be able to win.

Grace slowed down slightly and nodded.

Grace: Thanks, uhhhh?

Y/N: Oh, it's Y/N.

Grace: Y/N huh? Cute name. I mean! You're cute! Uhhh! No I mean- ahhh why do I always do this!

She turned away and hid her face in her hands as Y/N chuckled. It seemed they had been unconsciously moving forwards however as just now the large beetle was staring down at Y/N.

Ox: Name?

Y/N: Y/N.

Ox: Last name?

Y/N: Uhhhh. I dunno my last name.

Ox: Y/N Ahdenno?

Y/N could tell that Ox was all brawn and no brain. His previous statement about small insect brains didnt compare to this oaf's but
Y/N nodded. Ox didn't seem like the kind of chap you'd want to get upset. He stepped aside and allowed Y/N into the backstage area. The moth and butterfly sat at mirrors, the cricket was on a stool in the corner, Grace was buzzing around the air excitedly and the ladybug was combing over their hair with a leaf. Y/N looked around but Daryll was nowhere to be found. Before he could introduce himself to any others he heard Carrow's loud voice behind a curtain of leaves to what he could only assume lead to the main stage.

Carrow: Good evening ladies and gentlebugs! Are we ready for this year's annual bugtertainer competition?

The scream from the crowd told Y/N that they were either really excited or someone had just committed a mass murder. He hoped the first one was correct.

Carrow: Yes! That's what I like to hear! Now get ready, this is sure to be a show of a lifetime. Will Daryll, our champ of 10 years running be crowned again, or is it time for someone new to take the podium? Let the competition begin!

Carrow strode off to the side as Daryll entered on stage. Y/N wondered where he had been but completely forgot after seeing his dazzling magic performance. After the applause he quickly bowed before rushing off again. Y/N expected to see him come to the backstage area but he just ran off again.

Carrow: Wow, ladies and gentlebugs! You can see why he's been here for 10 years! And next can we welcome the spotted virtuoso, Palcamonio! Is that how you say that? Ah, who gives a shit.

The ladybug stepped through the curtains to the round of applause and bowed deeply as they began a brilliant piece of opera singing.
Y/N now realised that Grace may have been right, there really was no chance of winning this. All he had practiced with his jokes and, whilst they were good, he wasnt sure if they could beat talent like this. As Palcamonio finished they took another deep bow and swept off the stage, dramatically parting the curtains.

Palcamonio: Well, I do believe that was absolutely dreadful! My performance an outrage to opera!

Y/N: Woah! Calm it down ... uhh, Palcamine?

Palcamonio: Darling call me Palca.

Y/N: Oh ok. Palca your performance was wonderful! How could you say that about your talent!

Palca: Because, darling, it was not perfect. Did you not hear the note I played during the 37th second of my ghastly performance?

Y/N: Uhhh, not particularly, no.

Palca: Well the problem is that note I played was in C! Not in C minor! Ah, my performance is ruined!

Palca ran off as they wailed. Y/N hoped it was a joke but deep down he knew they were 100% serious. Before he knew it, the old cricket came out from the curtains looking jolly.

Jiminy: Well now! 59 years old and I still got what I had in my youth! Mind you, youngsters, I can hip hop it like grasshopper on heroin! Ol' Jiminy Cricket got this one in the sack!

He skipped off happily, clicking his heels and returned to his stool as Carrow called out the next performance.

Carrow: And next up is Grace!

She buzzed around excitedly and buzzed down to Y/N.

Grace: Wish me luck Y/N! Love ya! I mean- ugh! No! Uhh! Cya!

She zipped out the curtains and onto the stage where Y/N could hear her singing. She sung very beautifully, and surprisingly slow for how she acted before. The moth snickered and looked over at Y/N.

Mags: Uh oh, watch out! Someone's got a crush.

Y/N: Huh? Me? Oh, nah. I've reserved myself for someone else.

Mags: Not you, idiot. The girl, Grace. She seems to take a liking to you.

The butterfly looked at the moth and lightly smacked her over the head. She giggled and rubbed the back of her head.

Felicity: Knock it off, Mags. Sorry! My partner here cant keep her mouth shut. No matter how hard I try I can never get her under control.

Mags: And thats why you're a bottom.

Felicity: MAGS! We don't need to go telling random people about our *ahem* life.

Y/N: Oh please, no need to censor it for me. I once walked in on my parents doing it. I still have nightmares about it ...

They laughed and chatted some more until Grace came back from out the curtains followed by a round of applause.

Grace: Wow! You might be right, Y/N! I think might have a shot!

Grace quickly went in to hug him as Mags did a kissing face and Felicity hit her over the head again and Carrow's booming voice could be heard again.

Carrow: And our next act is brought to us by the Winged Partners, Maggie and Felicity! Only work partners I sure hope!

This got less of a reaction from the audience. Some laughed but it all sounded very forced and uncomfortable. Mags gripped her fist tightly but Felicity put her hand over hers and locked fingers.

Felicity: It'll be fine, love. Lets do our best and show him how real partners do it, ok?

Mags nodded and they went to different sides of the curtain and opened it simultaneously. There was no voices but the constant tapping of feet lead Y/N to believe it was dancing. There was a soft music coming from the stage which was muffled through the leafy curtains. Once the music stopped, Y/N heard a large round of applause and the curtains parted with Mags and Felicity hand in hand, skipping joyfully.

Felicity: Yknow babe, I think we did amazing!

Mags: Fuck yeah! Alright, now it's just your turn, Y/N. I'm sure that centi-cuck'll call you out any second.

As if she could tell the future, Carrow called out Y/N's name and he took a deep breath before sliding through the curtains. Applause erupted as he looked across the stadium and saw Ant, Mantis, Anne, Sprig, Polly and Hop Pop sitting in the middle row just to his left. He cleared his throat and was ready to let his comedic gun loose.

Y/N: What's a wasp's favourite style choice? A yellow jacket!

Y/N expected to hear laughter and applause from the crowd but there was nothing. All that could be heard was Jiminy in the back stage rubbing his old legs together.

Y/N: So a weasel walks into a bar and says "I'll have some dew water and a ............... green leaf" and the bartender says to him "why the big pause?" so the weasel says "cause i was born with them".

Y/N waited for the applause but nothing came. Not even Jiminy made a noise. Y/N sighed and laughed nervously but thats why he saved his best for last.

Y/N: A mosquito gets back to his burrow and his wife asks: "why the long face?" and then the mosquito says "the face elongator found me".

Y/N waited. No laughter. No applause. He turned away, embarrassed and ashamed. But then the laughter came. It was deafening and shook the stadium with the only thing topping the noise being the applause. Y/N turned back around with the widest grin on his face. It was everything he ever wanted.

Carrow: Well, ladies and gentlebugs, I do believe this young man was our final contestant! Now lets give these champs a rest while I decide on this year's winner!

Y/N was about to head back to the backstage but Carrow moved his tail around, blocking his path.

Carrow: Come with me, boy.

He lead Y/N off the stage and into a room. It was lit very well and a large mirror was infront of them. Carrow stood infront and pampered himself with make-up and beckoned Y/N closer.

Carrow: In all my years of running this show, that was by far the most impressive performance I've ever seen. Way better than the Fags before you.

Y/N gave a sharp and horrid look at him as Carrow looked down in confusion and a mixed disgust.

Carrow: Felicity and Mags! F-ags? Jesus, kids these days are nuts. Anyway, I think its time that we ... put Daryll away. He's had a good run and I think I already have my new star. Imagine it, Y/N! On the road, out of town! Leaving this old, disgusting place behind!

Y/N: Wait ... out of town? Would we not come back here?

Carrow: What? Of course you dumbass. Just once each year like always. Cant miss a spot, yknow. And besides. What else have you got here?

Y/N: Well-

Carrow: Exactly! Now get out while I get ready, you best look your best out there superstar.

Y/N backed up to the door quickly and rushed out. He hadn't thought this through very well. Was this why Ant and Mantis didnt want him to participate? Perhaps they thought he knew that was the price of being the star and they thought he hated them? Y/N was on the verge of crying until he heard sobbing coming from the room next door. He opened it slowly and Daryll was lying on the floor curled into a ball.

Y/N: Mr Daryll? What're you doing?

He seemed to quickly scurry up and brushed himself off.

Daryll: Me? I'm uhhh ... nothing. What do you want?

Y/N closed the door and pulled up two chairs. He sat on one and placed another one for Daryll to sit on, facing him.

Y/N: What's wrong?

Daryll looked taken aback by such a forward statement and shook his head and sniffed.

Daryll: N-nothing's wrong.

Y/N crossed his arms and looked into his eyes directly.

Y/N: What's wrong?

Daryll: Nothing's wrong I'm telling you! Just leave me alone!

Y/N tilted his hear slightly forward but maintained eye contact.

Y/N: Whats wrong?

It was then that Daryll burst out crying again, blubbering incoherent sentences and clinging onto Y/N as he patted his back.

Y/N: Daryll ... Daryll I can't understand you. Start from the beginning and tell me everything.

He sniffed and sat up, cleared his throat and wiped his eyes.

Daryll: When I first won the bugtertainer competition, I was thrilled. But I didnt realise what a huge mistake it was. Carrow is a nightmare I tell you! Cares about nobody but himself! He took me away from my family, I dont even get a break from it all and I have to perform good enough or else ... or else he'll get rid of me!

Daryll broke down crying again but soon got himself back together.

Daryll: Thats why I had to win each year. But now you're gonna win and I don't want to die!

Y/N had anger and determination mixed into his head. Anger towards the scum Carrow. He would pay for everything he had done. And determination to shut down this circus before anyone else has to suffer the same fate in it as Daryll.

Y/N: Daryll, come with me to the backstage. You'll be able to meet with the other contestants and then we'll make sure this all gets sorted out.

He slowly nodded and followed Y/N to the backstage. Palco had returned and they were now talking to Grace, seemingly forgetting their wrong note.

Y/N: Guys! We need some help here!

The others looked at him and gathered around.

Mags: What's up?

Palca: Yes, darling what is it?

Y/N: Listen, we need to shut this whole thing down. Now I've got a plan and I need you all to listen very carefully.

The group looked at eachother and nodded, huddling into a circle.

Many minutes later, Carrow was out on stage with his contestants with him as they all looked into the crowd.

Carrow: Ladies and gentlebugs! This is the moment you've all been waiting for? Who-will-be-the-next-bugtertainer? 

The crowd cheered again and clapped loudly.

Carrow: Now, the results are in and final. Please, put your hands together for your newest bugtertainer: Y/N Ahdenno!

The clapping and roaring was deafening as Y/N stepped forward and spoke out.

Y/N: Hello everyone! Thank you so much for the support! However, I wont be accepting this offer as something new has come to light. Carrow, the bug you see before you is no more than a dirty snake!

Carrow: What? What are you on about, boy? I'm giving you the opportunity of a life time and you're throwing it away you ungrateful little-!

And the final rope had been set. As Y/N distracted Carrow, he had others tie knots around his legs and tangle the ropes into the curtain pulley system. As Carrow made a lunge as Y/N, his body pulled the weight of the curtains ontop of him, knocking him out cold. Once the dust had settled, Daryll was able to share his side of the story. Everybody quickly took off after that as Carrow began to stir awake again. Y/N reunited with the others and quickly rushed away as Carrow's body rose from the rubble of his circus.

Carrow: I'll get you for this Y/N! Even if it's the last thing I do!

He shouted loudly and could be heard even by Y/N who was now miles away at this point.

Y/N: Well, that was a fun adventure. Oh, hey Ant, Mantis. Sorry if I made you feel like I wanted to run away from you guys. I promise from now on I'll try always stay with you!

Ant and Mantis smiled at each other.

Ant: Dont worry, Y/N. Someday you'll go on an adventure even we wont be there to share with you.

Mantis: But we will be there for you, no matter what.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

248K 8K 56
When he denied his own baby calling her a cheater. "This baby is not mine." But why god planned them to meet again? "I would like you to transfer in...
116K 5.8K 54
(y/n) (l/n) a girl who was born in the modern world who somewhat ends up in the taisho era of demon slayer. Her sassiness and eccentric attitude capt...
342K 16.5K 77
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...
590K 13.2K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.