Texas Tea - Post Malone

By Pepepolly

A Cowboys legacy lives forever... Book one : Wrapped around your Finger Book two : Wrapped around your Hea... More

Cheater
For My Broken Heart
This Is My Spot!
Values
Just A Little Blood
Like A Linda
It's Ok To Cry, Honey
Pink Roses
Confront Your Fear
I Will Wait
He Wants Her
Letting Go
Family Ties
Running Away
This Is Us Now
My Reason
My Hero, Lara
I Said NO
You Are Beautiful, Indy
Home
Little Dove
More Than All The Stars
Ace
Storm
Cottonwod
The Mountain Calls
The Barn
Sisters
One Hundred Children?
Strong Woman
This Is Our House
I will punch you myself
Liers
First Punch
I Am Not My Mother
Stetson
Hazel
That Jimmy Wilde
The Old Oak
Magic
Austin (Bonus)

Bullet To The Chest

37 5 2
By Pepepolly

Indy steps out of her classroom and stops, closing her eyes and turning her face to the sun. The heat is a welcome feeling after the long cold winter they have just endured. She had never been in snow and so when it had first fallen she had been excited. But, after a few weeks of constant cold and wet snow, her excitement had worn off. She had not hated it, especially when Austin had made a bed in front of the wood fire for them to camp out in front of during the coldest nights. But, now summer had returned and the sun offered the same warmth Austin's arms always do.

"Bye, Miss Gold," one of the girls calls out as she pulls herself up onto her horse and trots off with her friends to do their ranch duties, no doubt. Life in Cottonwood is very different from Pasadena. She has never been happier. She and Austin had finished the year out and then moved up to Cottonwood. She had been three months pregnant when they had finally come home. They moved into the house Jimmy had built for Evelyn while Austin was busy building a home they had drawn up together. It sits close to the mountain with the river running behind it and is something she thought she could only dream of. It has special floors, a wide passage, and extra large rooms - just to accommodate Lucky...their house cow.  She absolutely does not go on any cattle runs. Austin had worked on the house day and night. She had tried to help but he had gotten cranky with her and preferred for her to stay out of harm's way.

Jimmy had helped and so had Matty so Indy had bided her time with Evelyn who always has time for her and tells her at least twice a day that she is very much loved. The house had been completed a week before Hazel was due and when the time came around for Indy to give birth, she pushed that baby out right in the middle of their brand-new lounge. Hazel had made a stubborn entrance into this world, making Indy and Austin work all night. The entire family camped out on the front lawn and were ready and waiting when Austin informed them that Hazel was not only a spitting image of her great-grandmother but just as feisty.

Evelyn had announced soon after Hazel's birth that she was stepping down as rancher and handing the reins over to Austin, who now everyone calls Cottonwood instead of Texas. Evelyn is now his adviser and goes between riding by his side, fussing over her granddaughter, or her children. She helps Burt and Josh on their ranch too. Olivia and Josh got married just after the first winter snow, Olivia had wanted a winter wedding and Cottonwood had delivered a spectacular winter wonderland for her. Her wedding was beautiful and was a massive celebration. Lilith and Burt had cause for celebration too when they announced their pregnancy and you best believe the family had yet another massive celebration.

Indy's life is full and she is content. There is nothing she is missing and when she applied for a teaching position at the local school and got it she felt like the last piece of her life had fallen into place. She and Austin had decided to get married the summer after Hazel was born - which just so happens to be this very summer. Tomorrow to be exact so she needs to get home and start preparing. She gets into her car and heads to the grocery store to pick up a few bits and pieces. When she pulls into a parking spot and climbs out of her car she hears someone call out her name and press their horn.

"Afternoon, ma'am!"

She turns and sees Miller hanging out of his truck. Miller had followed them to Cottonwood. He wanted to be a rancher and insisted there would be no one better to teach him than Austin. Austin had put him through the ringer and Indy had, had to clean him up a few times, poor kid. But, he had been persistent and eventually surprised himself with how much grit he had. Indy had heard Evelyn whisper to a nodding Austin that the boy had rancher blood in him. Miller will be to Austin what Ace was to his grandfather. Austin had inherited not only his grandfather's looks and spirit but his sixth sense for knowing things too. He knew Miller was a rancher since the first time Indy had pointed him out.

"Where are you off to?" she asks with a laugh. "Salt Lake City. I am picking up those two idiot friends of mine from the airport. You didn't think they would miss your wedding did ya?" he asks with a grin. Both Red and Jeremy had received scholarships in Texas. Jeremy had just been signed with the Dallas Cowboys while Red had chosen to focus on his studies. They had taken their mother with them and cared for her until she eventually succumbed to her illness. Her boys had done her proud and now that they were all grown up she had let herself go. Austin, Indy, and Miller had attended her funeral - it had been the only time Austin had left Cottonwood since they had moved back.

"Drive carefully, Miller."

"Will do, see ya tomorrow," he says speeding off and Indy laughs softly to herself. Their home and the rest of the houses on the ranch will be full soon with family and friends. She had met Ayla and Birdy when they came for Olivia's wedding and she is looking forward to seeing them again. Lara, Lucy, and Julie are on their way up too. They will be here tonight. It's all very exciting and leads to a big wedding.

She takes a basket and heads into the grocery store, grabs the things she needs, and heads to the checkout. She wants to get home as soon as possible. There are only two people in front of her but, still, the line feels too long.

"Indy..."

Indy spins around, her eyes widening slightly. "Beth..." she whispers. She no longer looks as sad and hurt as Indy remembers from the last time she saw her. She has a rosy glow to her and she looks happy.

"How...how are you?" Indy asks. Part of her wants to hide her hand behind her back to not hurt Beth by seeing her ring, but that would do nobody any good. "I am doing well, thank you. Congratulations to you and Austin on the birth of your baby. My mama says she is a happy healthy girl with bright eyes and a sunshine smile," Beth says, her smile sweet. Indy smiles too at the mention of how sweet her Hazel is. "She is as stubborn as an ox too," Indy says. "Ah, yes, the family trait," Beth says and they both laugh softly.

"You are gettin' married tomorrow, congratulations...sorry...I sound like I am watching your life, I am not."

"I have learned how news travels in a small town. Besides, your mother is coming to our wedding."

Beth nods. "The whole town is," she says and then smiles at a very handsome man who walks up and stands by her side. He looks like he stepped out of a high-powered office with his crisp blue suit on and he has kind eyes. "Indy, this is Harry. My fiance," Beth introduces them, her eyes have a dreamy look to them. She is in love. "Pleased to meet you, Indy," Harry says shaking her hand. "You too," Indy says. "You are both welcome to attend the wedding," Indy offers. She had not sent out invitations. Out here everyone just attends a wedding when it is announced. She had not expected Beth to attend as she thought it may be too painful for her, but the woman has moved on and looks all the better for it. "Thank you, Indy. I appreciate the offer, but we need to head back to Texas. Harry needs to get back to his office, we are on our way out. But, next time we are in town I would love to meet up for a drink, maybe meet your sweet little girl," Beth says.

"Yes. Yes, that would be great. She would adore you. You...you look really happy, Beth."

"I am. Harry is who I was made for all along. I don't think I have ever been happier," she says with a wide smile. She gives Indy a gentle hug and then turns with Harry to walk down an aisle. Indy watches her blush and giggle when Harry draws her a little closer and kisses her cheek as they walk off. She is happy for Beth and can see Harry is just as captivated by her and their future together as she is. It's a good thing.

"Ma'am," the cashier calls her attention. "Oh! Sorry, I was daydreaming," Indy says with a laugh as she unpacks her groceries. "You are marrying Cottonwood. I would be daydreaming too," the cashier says with a grin. Indy nods and grins back. She is on top of the world and will only be higher come tomorrow.

Indy packs her car quickly as she is desperate to get home, she has been away from Austin for too long. The hairs on the back of her neck suddenly go up and she stops, looks around, but sees nothing out of the ordinary so she shrugs and places the last of her shopping in the trunk before she closes it. She feels like someone is watching her and it makes her feel slightly uneasy but she looks around again and everything seems normal. It's been a long day, lots has happened and tomorrow is huge - her brain must be tired. She shrugs and climbs into her car. With the sun in her rearview mirror and Cottonwood just in front of her, she pushes the uneasy feeling to the back of her mind.

She turns up the ranch road, laughing when she sees Lucky waiting for her at the gates like she does every afternoon, and then races her up the ranch road as she jumps around happily. She is fully grown but she is still the smallest cow on Cottonwood and Indy's best friend. She sneaks her into the house when Austin goes on his cattle runs, but for the most part, she sleeps in her specially-made pen on the back porch. Austin had left yesterday for a cattle run with Hazel strapped securely to his chest like he had done since the day she was born. She is only 8 months old now but she is tougher than Indy will ever be. She misses them when they go, but it's only ever for one night, and on the times she has missed them a little too much she just drives out to where they are camped for the night.

She frowns when she notices a car has pulled onto the ranch road behind her. Her wedding guests had started arriving since yesterday so it must be one of them although she can't see who is in the car. She drives past the ranch house and heads to her house, the car continuing to follow her. That's odd, all her guests know to stop at the ranch house, the house Jimmy built for Evelyn or Austin's great-grandparents house. Perhaps whoever it is just wants to say hi before they settle in. She parks near her back door and climbs out to greet her guests.

Her stomach drops and her chest pains when she sees her parents and Bella climb out of the car. They look around with disapproving faces and then turn their disgusted looks on her. She would have been scared in the past, but not now. She is not the same person. She looks at them now and feels no love lost. No longing for reconciliation. She does not know these people, they are not her family. They are no one to her.

"What are you doing here?" she asks walking closer and standing in front of them with her shoulders squared. She is not afraid of them. They all look a little shocked at her indifference towards them. "You didn't think we would miss your wedding did you?" her mother says with an evil-looking smirk. "Should have been my wedding, maybe I will just ruin it like you did mine," Bella says, her voice like acid. "How did you know I am getting married? How did you find me?" Indy asks. "Your friends have been sharing their adventures and excitement about the wedding on their little trip up here on social media," her mother says swatting a fly away from her face. "You are not invited to the wedding. You are not welcome here or in my life. Please leave," Indy says. "We are not leaving. Looks to me like there is a lot of money floating around out there. You know as well as I do you do not deserve this life. You stole it from me and I am going to do everything I can to steal it back," Bella says with a laugh that has a villain-like ring to it.

Suddenly Austin appears on her left and Evelyn on her right. Both have their rifles drawn and pointed at her family. "My wife asked you to leave," Austin mumbles, aiming at them. Indy's father looks scared and backs off but her mother and sister start laughing. "Not happening, we are family," her mother says. A loud shot goes off at Indy's right side and the dirt in front of Indy's mother and sister is suddenly ripped up as they dance backward with a shriek. "Ain't no family of ours. That's your first warning. My daughter told you to leave. Leave," Evelyn warns in a low growl. It sends shivers down Indy's spine. She is not playing their game. "You shot at us!" Bella screams. "We will call the police," her mother says. "No need. I am here," Jimmy says pulling his jacket aside and showing them his sheriff's badge. He had been voted in as sheriff a few years back.

"Did you not see her shoot at me?" Bella screams. "Aye, I did. You are also trespassing and the law is clear on how that is to be dealt with out here. This is country, ain't no city laws here," Jimmy says. "You have been a problem since the day you were born. After everything we have done for you, this is how you repay us?! You are pathetic!" Indy's father shouts at her. There is a loud shot from Indy's left and then her father screams. "Second warning," Austin mumbles as Indy's father jumps around on one leg. There is blood gushing from his white pants near his knee. "You shot him!" Bella screams and then climbs into the car while her mother grabs hold of her father. "Just your knee. You will always walk with a limp - a reminder of the coward you are. The next one will be straight to the chest," Austin says. Her parents look between Indy and Austin in shock.

"Indy-" her mother starts but stops herself when Austin lifts his rifle and keeps his aim on her father's chest. "Careful. My rancher shoots straight and he has never given a third warning. You are on borrowed time," Indy says. Her mother stares at her and Indy can see the second she realizes she is defeated. She helps Indy's father who is still wailing into the passenger seat then runs around to the driver's side. "If you contact my wife or set foot on this ranch again, you will leave with a bullet in your chest," Austin says. Indy's mother gasps and then jumps into the car and speeds off. "Follow them. Make sure they leave the area," Evelyn says to two of the cowboys who nod and gallop after the car.

Indy turns to Austin who drops his rifle. "You shot my father," she says. "He insulted you," Austin says smirking when she grins and wraps her arms around him. Her father does not know how lucky he is. Austin does not take kindly to anyone insulting her. She turns her head when she hears the back door open. Matty walks out with a smiling bouncing Hazel. Indy wants to eat her, she is so cute. "Hello, my Hazel. I missed you," she whispers letting go of Austin and cuddling her sweet baby. She will never understand how parents could not love their children. Hazel will never experience that. None of her children will.

"We have guests arriving in droves now. We will be having a huge family dinner at the ranch house," Evelyn says mounting Star. "We will miss dinner, mama," Austin says. "Thought so," she says with a laugh then bolts toward the arriving cars with Matty and Jimmy as Indy walks into their home with Austin and Hazel.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 116 27
Love always prevails...right?
102K 1.4K 95
@harrystyles followed you @harrystyles has liked your post @harrystyles commented on your post book two is being put together NOW
14.2K 172 17
Warnings: .Smut/ mature language/ nudity/ heavy topics/ abuse/ toxic relationships .ALL RIGHTS TO S.E HINTON This is also my first time writing on W...
8.1K 764 69
Austin is a cowboy...what more do you need to know? Book one: wrapped around your finger Book two: wrapped around your heart Book three: Texas Tea