Texas Tea - Post Malone

By Pepepolly

A Cowboys legacy lives forever... Book one : Wrapped around your Finger Book two : Wrapped around your Hea... More

Cheater
For My Broken Heart
This Is My Spot!
Values
Just A Little Blood
Like A Linda
It's Ok To Cry, Honey
Pink Roses
Confront Your Fear
I Will Wait
He Wants Her
Letting Go
Family Ties
Running Away
This Is Us Now
My Reason
My Hero, Lara
I Said NO
You Are Beautiful, Indy
Home
Little Dove
Ace
Storm
Cottonwod
The Mountain Calls
The Barn
Sisters
One Hundred Children?
Strong Woman
This Is Our House
I will punch you myself
Liers
First Punch
I Am Not My Mother
Stetson
Hazel
Bullet To The Chest
That Jimmy Wilde
The Old Oak
Magic
Austin (Bonus)

More Than All The Stars

35 7 6
By Pepepolly

Indy tries to eat, she truly does, but she is so caught up in how Austin, his father, and his brothers eat. They inhale the food and then get seconds, they inhale that too. There are no leftovers. Evelyn gives her a knowing smile and Olivia leans closer to her. "Savages, the lot of them," she whispers with a giggle before Josh pulls her back to him and grins with a mouth full of food. "So, Indy, have you ever been on a ranch before?" Matty asks. "Oh...uh...no. This is my first time," she says. "Have you ever been in the country?" Burt asks. "Well...Austin took me out to the mountain near Pasadena. It's very bushy and you can't see any houses...does that count?" she asks. "It counts," Burt says with a smile.

"Have you ever ridden a horse? Played in a barn? Swam in a river? Played in an open field?" Matty peppers a bunch of questions at her. "Um, no...to all," she says. "Not even as a child?" Josh asks. He looks sorry for her. "No...I...I spent most of my time...umm..." she starts but stops and looks at Austin, not sure if they should know what she spent most of her time doing as a kid. She is not sure she even wants to tell them. He looks at her with a sad face. He never lies and she can see he is not sure how to steer this away from the current conversation without doing just that.

"We have a ranch to run. This is not a holiday camp. Off with all of you now," Evelyn says suddenly and stands. "We have our ranch," Burt says, Josh laughs. "Yeah, mama, we are ranchers now. We are our men," he says. "Your feet are on Cottonwood, I am the rancher. And you are your women's men. Don't you go forgettin' that," Evelyn says grinning at Lilith and Oliva. Indy can see she loves them. "Could never forget that," Burt says kissing Lilith's cheek as Josh grins at Olivia. Everyone jumps up, helping to clear the table and then disappearing one by one out the kitchen door as they grab their Stetsons. "I have a list. Don't be long. I meant what I said about running a ranch," Evelyn says handing Austin a piece of paper and then smiling at Indy before she too ducks out the kitchen door. "Come on, baby," Austin says taking her hand and walking with her out the kitchen door to his truck. "Where is Miss Daisy?" Indy asks, she hasn't seen her since they arrived. "Somewhere on the ranch. Won't see her for a while - she is wild and free," Austin says laughing softly and opening her door.

"I am sorry," Indy says quickly before he can close the door. He frowns and cocks his head.

"For what?"

"For ruining breakfast."

"I liked the eggs."

"No. I mean...everyone was happy and asking me questions. I was happy to answer and have never felt the need to talk about how I spent my childhood. I normally don't slip into almost opening up like that. I wish I had not...it made everyone a little weary...sad even."

"Out here there are no secrets...not secrets like yours anyway. Secret stolen moments by lovers or hidden kisses - sweet things. But, secrets like yours are shared because they are lighter when more people carry them. My family will not judge you. They would not find blame...when you are ready, tell them."

"You can tell them. I trust you. My secrets are too heavy for me to say out loud."

"Sometimes saying it out loud helps you let go. Come with me," he says taking her hand and pulling her out of his truck gently. He walks her to the middle of the ranch house yard, stopping under a beautiful pink cherry blossom tree.  "My grandparents have a love story all of their own. My grandmother used to tell a story of a secret she once kept that killed her inside and almost killed what she had found with my grandfather. She said on the day she thought she had lost him she fell right here, in the middle of the ranch house yard. Her heart dropped out of her chest and buried itself into the ground. It's still there and once all was right she planted this tree. Over the years it has grown, anytime we have a secret that feels a little too big we come here and whisper it to the tree. My grandmother's heart will keep it safe for you...so you don't have to carry it around with you anymore," he says.

Indy stares at the cherry blossom. The trunk looks rough but the flowers are pretty and soft looking. She feels strangely at ease as the sweet cherry blossom scent swirls around her like a hug in the soft breeze. "When...when I was seven I missed my birthday because I had to spend it in the hospital while the doctors pushed thick needles into my bones to harvest bone marrow for my sister's treatment. It was painful. I was all alone and I didn't even get a gift. I don't know why I remember being so sad on that birthday. I had never been allowed to celebrate my birthday and I never got a birthday gift as a child. My first birthday gift was when I was 16. I got a big slab of chocolate from my teacher. She was nice...I think that's when I decided I wanted to be a teacher. I ate that whole chocolate as I walked home. I got a tummy ache but it was the best birthday I ever had," she whispers to the cherry blossom, wiping her eyes. She does feel a little lighter.

She feels Austin's hands on her as he pulls her into his arms and tightly to his chest. She hears him sniff softly above her head. "Those things are gone now, Indy...my grandmother has them," he whispers, his voice croaking in pain. "I can feel it," she sniffles into his chest. "You want ice cream?" he asks. "Yeah," she says with a little watery laugh. "Come on then," he says taking her hand and pulling her to his truck.

They head down the ranch road, past the barn, and then onto the main road. The town looks a little bigger in the daylight and there are lots of people and cars around now. Austin stops near a large store and then turns his truck around backing it up to the shop door. He grins at her. "More family, baby," he says and then hops out. How big is Austin's family?  She climbs out when he opens her door and walks inside with him. It's like a big warehouse full of sacks of feed and other ranch stuff Indy has no idea about. "Well, look who the mountain called home!" a woman shouts down from on top of a huge pile of sacks of feed. Indy looks up and sees the woman has messy dreadlocks, a bright yellow romper, and a smile as bright as the sun. "Ain't you too old to be climbing sacks of corn, Aunt Dixie?" Austin calls out to her. She laughs and then jumps onto a rope hanging on the side of the feed and swings down. Landing on her feet with a thud in front of Austin.

"My heart will always be young!" she says with another laugh as Austin grabs her for a hug. "Aunt Dixie, this is Indy," he says turning her to face Indy. She is a lot to take in. "Oh! Look at you. Texas! You got yourself a sweet little love," Dixie says grabbing her and hugging her tight. Her hugs are not as gentle as Evelyn's but it brings just as much warmth. "Tell me, Indy, what do you think of animal rights?" Dixie asks her with squinted eyes. It looks like she is testing her. "Umm...I think...I think...animals should have more rights than people and should be loved," she says. "You are perfect!" Dixie says throwing her hands in the air. "And now...this is important...what do you think about turkeys?" she asks. Indy remembers what Linda had said this morning. "They make the best pets. They are considered family," she says. "Welcome to the family!" Dixie shouts happily then takes the list from Austin's hand and walks off as she inspects it.

Austin looks curiously at Indy. "Linda," Indy whispers. "Clever girl," Austin mouths and takes her hand. "Let me show you something," he says and walks with her through Dixie's store and out to the back. Indy's mouth drops open when she sees a huge open field that is covered in turkeys and tiny cute cows. There must be at least five hundred of them. "Dixie lives on her husband's ranch with their son and two daughters. She raises mini cows and turkeys that she sells as pets, she makes people sign contracts to say they won't eat them. Her husband is the local vet - they are as wild as each other."

"What about the other sisters?"

"My youngest Aunt, Birdy, is a city girl. She lives in New York with her husband and daughter. She wears high-heeled boots and long red nails. The second youngest, Ayla, is a philanthropist. She is a wise woman. She has a weird way of speaking but people are drawn to her. She travels the world with her husband and son but always wears a Stetson. Aunt Harper rides the ranch she bought with her husband. She has seven sons and three daughters."

"Ten kids?"

"She says she loves the sound of a baby's laugh."

"So she had ten kids?"

Austin smiles and nods.

"And then there is your mother... " she says.

"Yes. The oldest. My grandfather's heart. She rides Cottonwood."

"Your grandfather chose her to be the rancher at Cottonwood?"

"No."

"Oh...who did?"

"The ranch does that!" Dixie shouts from inside her shop. Austin chuckles and leads her back inside. Dixie is on the back of his truck, huffing and puffing as she tries to get the feed bags on the back of the truck. "My grandfather always said she was his wild card," Austin chuckles and then goes to help her. Once they are done Dixie turns to her. "Best you get the girl a hat, her skin is delicate," she says to Austin. Indy is starting to get a complex about her skin. "I will see you both later. Indy. I like you," she says with a smile then climbs up the rope to the top of her pile of sacks of feed. Indy giggles softly and then climbs back into Austin's truck. She has liked every member of the Austin family she has met so far.

"You ready? It's a long trip to our next stop, baby," he says. "Oh? Ok," Indy says clipping in her seatbelt. Austin starts his truck drives across the road and parks in a parking bay. "That was tiring. We are here," he says lifting his Stetson and wiping his brow. Indy starts laughing and shakes her head. "You are so silly sometimes," she says unclipping her seatbelt and jumping out. Austin smiles at her, taking her hand and leading her into another store. The store is full of cowboy boots, clothing, and Stetsons. "Been away too long, Texas," an old but beautiful woman says as she appears from a back room. Austin flashes her a bright smile and wraps his arms around her, rocking her gently in their hug. More family Indy is sure. But, this one seems a little extra special. "I brought you a gift," he says stepping out of her arms and bringing Indy forward. The old woman smiles and her eyes sparkle when she looks at Indy. "You've fallen in love," she says. "I have. This is Indy. Indy, this is my grandfather's sister - Tina," he says grinning. "Hi," Indy says. Tina's smile stretches and she pulls Indy in for a hug.

"So what can I do you for?" Tina asks. "City girl," Austin says pointing to Indy. "Oh, well let's fix that. What is your favorite color?" she asks. "Um...pink," Indy says. "Follow me," Tina says leading them to a wall of Stetsons. She looks over them with a serious face and then reaches up and pulls down a tan-colored Stetson with a dusty pink headband and a gold buckle. She places it on Indy's head gently and steps back to look at it then looks at Austin. Indy looks at him too. He is grinning. "That's the one," Tina says as Austin nods. "What do you think?" Tina asks holding up a mirror. Indy looks at herself. She looks so different. From a simple hat? "Yes. I love it," she says. "Now, do you know the Stetson law?" Tina asks with a twinkle in her eye, Indy shakes her head. "I will explain it to her," Austin says quickly giving Tina a warning look. Tina chuckles and then moves on to the shelves packed with boots.

She rummages through them but then stops suddenly and turns back to look at them, her face puzzled. "City girl you said, right?" she asks. "Yes," Austin says, his face just as puzzled. "Is she...well I'll be damed..." she says then turns and rushes into the back. Indy and Austin share a confused look. Ten minutes later she comes back with a large shoe box that has an envelope on top of it and hands it to Austin. Indy watches as Austin's confused frown smooths out and his eyes widen. Indy looks over and sees, Cottonwood, scribbled on the envelope. "This is my grandfather's handwriting," Austin whispers. "Yeah. It's been in the back for years. He came in here on the day you were born. Told me there would be a city girl comin' by one day. I would know when the time was right...and I don't know...but I just know the time is right," Tina says with a shrug.

Austin places the box on the counter and stares at it for a little while then lifts his hand slowly and picks up the envelope, ripping it open.

The mountain always calls, but she
will bring you home. She will change
ya, boy and there ain't nothing you
can do about it.

Indy reads the note from next to Austin. His hands are shaking slightly. He waits till he is sure she is finished reading it then folds the note up and places it in his back pocket then opens the shoe box. Indy wants to squeal when she sees the boots. She loves them. They are black with a swipe of diamond rhinestones across them. They look like stars in the night sky. "More than all the stars in the sky..." Austin whispers and then lifts them out of the box and holds them up. "They are custom-made. He drew the design. He was a pain in the ass and sent them back three times till he felt they were perfect," Tina says. Austin turns to Indy and smiles at her. "You like them?" he asks. "I love them!" she says hopping a little and clutching her hands to her chest, her cheeks hurting from her smile. "Sit down, Darlin'," he says. Indy sits down and pulls her trainers off then Austin kneels on one knee in front of her and slips them on. "They fit perfectly," she says holding her legs out straight as she inspects them. "That man knew about things before they even happened. Even gone - nothing gets past him," Tina says softly. "When one of my grandfather's children or grandchildren told him they loved him he would ask if they loved him more than all the stars in the sky...they always said yes because it was true," Austin whispers.

Indy's chin wobbles and her eyes pool. Austin's grandfather is no longer in this world and yet he still finds a way to let her know that he was expecting her. He knew she would come one day and she will be loved here. It's more affection than her parents ever showed her in all her years. He knew she would need this. She is also never taking these boots off. She will sleep with them on.

"Baby-"

"No. These are happy tears," she says wiping her now wet cheeks and smiling up at him. He smiles back at her then leans in and kisses her. "You will be married and popping out babies in no time," Tina says while she walks, laughing, back into the back room.

They pay for the Stetson and then walk out of the shop. When Indy heads for the truck Austin tugs her hand softly and flicks his head toward the diner. "You want that ice cream?" he asks. "Yes," Indy says. The diner is packed and they all greet Austin happily, calling him Texas and smiling warmly at Indy. They are all very nice. "We will eat outside or we will die in this box of a diner," Austin says. Indy agrees. They order their ice cream, big balls of frozen happiness in cones, and then make their way to an outside table. Indy sits on a bench and Austin sits next to her, facing her with her in between his legs. She giggles as he links his ice cream - he looks like a child. He looks happy too. "You know my father makes this ice cream? He used to sell ice cream on the side of the road as a kid. He says it's what won my mother's heart," Austin says with a laugh.

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's turned into a lucrative business and now he has a small factory in Salt Lake City. The milk from my brother's ranch supplies it."

"What doesn't your family do?"

"Honestly? I don't know. There are so many of us."

Indy laughs and licks her ice cream which is melting quickly in the Utah heat. "So what is this Stetson law?" she asks as she continues to eat her ice cream, it's starting to drip onto her wrist. Austin takes her Stetson off and places it on the table then places his on her head. "A Stetson is an extension of a cowboy. A pound of flesh. Never touch it unless given permission. If you wear a Cowboys hat you are either fuckin' or fightin'," he says. Indy looks up at the rim of Austin's Stetson and then back at him. "But, we don't fight," she says. "Because we are fuckin', darlin'," he says grinning. She laughs and then picks up her Stetson and places it on his head, it's too small and makes him look silly. But, still handsome.

Her ice cream is almost all melted into a sticky mess down her arm. She can't eat it fast enough. Austin shakes his head at her then takes her Stetson off and stands. "Can't take you anywhere, woman," he laughs then trots inside. Indy throws the rest of her sticky soggy cone in a trash can nearby and looks around at the small town. It's really pretty. Her eyes land on a woman standing across the street. She is beautiful, and she is staring at Indy - she looks a little upset. "I got you a bottle of water," Austin says coming out of the diner. She looks back at him and then lets him run the water over her arm before he mops it up with a serviette. He then takes his Stetson back and puts hers on her head before they start walking back to his truck. Indy peeps over her shoulder and sees the woman still looking at them. When Austin pulls his truck out of the parking and heads back to the ranch she looks out her window to where the woman is but she has turned her back and is walking into the diner, her shoulders heavy.

That was odd...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

503K 12.4K 63
[MATURE] "I just need to feel you all the time." Olivia McNeil is a 19 year old California native going to college at USC, majoring in journalism. S...
547K 12.8K 57
[MATURE] "Who do you call when the night gets long?" ranked #2 in fanfiction 06.16.18 ** this book sucks & it was written when i was first getting ba...
72.4K 1.4K 27
Book two of the Colby Brock series! "I didn't think I would ever get the chance to look at you, touch you or even... kiss you again." • I suggest you...
1K 116 27
Love always prevails...right?