PAPER RINGS โ”โ” Jim Halpert ยน

Von brzatto

i loved you as a best friend, and i still love you. it's just more than that now. ๐™Ÿ๐™ž๐™ข ๐™๐™–๐™ก๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฉ ๐™ญ ๐™›... Mehr

INTRODUCTION
CAST + PLAYLIST
I. MIKI MATSUBARA
II. THE HIGHS AND LOWS OF AN OFFICE JOB
III. INFORMATION IS POWER
IV. WHO HAS A MOVIE NIGHT WITHOUT PIZZA?
V. GOOD GIRL
VI. THE CHRIS ROCK ROUTINE
VII. I LIKE SUPERHEROES
VIII. ITS HOAGIE TIME
IX. AM I A WOMAN?
X. GO GET 'EM, TIGER
XI. COUNT CHOCULITIS
XII. MY PAPER SALESMAN
XIII. WHAT CAN I GET YA, MATEY?
XIV. THE ALLIANCE
XV. NO BUTTERFLIES
XVI. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MEREDITH
XVII. MR. BIG SHOT
XVIII. GO SALES!
XIX. DO A JUMP!
XX. BRING IT ON
XXI. DELIVERY MAN
XXII. ENGAGED
XXIII. BE COOL
XXIV. HER LOSS
XXV. THE DUNDIES
XXVI. CHILI'S AWARD SHOW
XXVII. TINY DANCER
XXVIII. VIOLENCE LEADS TO JAIL TIME
XXIX. DWIGHT'S SECRET
XXX. THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID
XXXI. GOOD BOY
XXXII. MARKERS AND COOKIE SCENTED CANDLES
XXXIII. THE FIRST ANNUAL OFFICE OLYMPICS
XXXIV. GOING FOR GOLD
XXXV. REAL SMOKE
XXXVI. EVERYBODY HURTS
XXXVII. RYAN STARTED THE FIRE!
XXXVIII. HALLOWEEN PARTY
XXXIX. MICHAEL JIM SCOTT
XL. WHO DOESN'T LOVE SAVING MONEY?
XLI. 50 FIRST DATES
XLII. PURPLE BELTS
XLIII. CATCH-22
XLIV. MICHAEL V DWIGHT
XLV. THREAT LEVEL MIDNIGHT
XLVI. PRETTY GOOD DATE
XLVII. CASUAL?
XLVIII. THE SUGGESTION BOX
XLIX. E-VITATION
L. HAPPY TOGETHER
LI. MERRY CHRISTMAS
LII. LEADER...SHIP
LIII. TRUTH OR DARE
LIV. BUSTED
LV. FOOT FOREMAN
LVI. DISABILITY 101
LVII. MINIVAN ADVENTURES
LVIII. LIPS ARE SEALED
LIX. SUN AND MOON
LX. GOLDEN OREOS
LXI. THE L WORD
LXII. PEOPLE OF THE WORKPLACE
LXIII. WORKER'S UNION
LXIV. A MILLION THINGS
LXV. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY
LXVI. PLASTIC CANDLES
LXVII. NICO AND RILEY
LXVIII. FUNDLE BUNDLE
LXIX. MICHAEL'S BIRTHDAY
LXX. PRETZELS V TROLLIS
LXXI. ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES
LXXII. TWO COKES, ONE GIRL
LXXIII. SHE'S [REDACTED]
LXXIV. TRANS-FER, TRANS-FER
LXXV. BOY SCOUTS, NO COOKIES
LXXVI. MONTE CARLO
Q&A!
Q&A ANSWERS!

LXXVII. ALL IN

1.5K 98 40
Von brzatto

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter seventy seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

DWIGHT
I expect to do very well tonight. I have an acute ability to read people.

[ THE CAMERA CUTS FROM DWIGHT
TO JIM SITTING AT A TABLE. HE
LOOKS AT HIS CARDS BEFORE
HE COUGHS INTO HIS HAND. ]

DWIGHT
Jim for instance has a huge tell. When he gets a good hand, he coughs. When Evelyn gets a good hand, she smiles like she has something to hide.

[ THE CAMERA CUTS TO JIM
IN DWIGHT'S PLACE. ]

JIM
It's the weirdest thing. Every time I cough, Dwight folds.

[ HE LAUGHS TO HIMSELF.
OBVIOUSLY ENJOYING THE
SITUATION AT HAND. ]

━━━━━━━━━━

Evelyn glanced down at her cards and a grin fluttered across her face. Bottom lip bitten between her teeth. Jim's face lit up at the sight. Her tell so easy to clock. A chuckle rumbled through his chest. "Yeah, right," he scoffed. Her eyes flickered toward Jim. Her grin doubled in size when she took note of his tone. "Yeah, right, what?" she inquired, amused by his reaction. He mimicked her face, throwing her smile back in her face. She couldn't stop the laugh that slipped from her lips.

          "What was that?" he asked, laughing along with her. Her shoulders lifted in a slight shrug. Her cheeks a soft shade of pink. Jim felt his heart flutter. "I have good cards," she declared proudly. His face lit up. Amusement sparkling within his warm eyes. His head tilted slightly to the side. Eyes narrowed as he examined her face. Her eyes, her cheeks, her lips. "Really?" he asked, almost as if he didn't believe her. She nodded, confidently. Despite the fact Jim had helped her so many times just before. "Mhm. And... I'm gonna take you all in." She set down her cards to slide all of her chips to the middle of the table. Jim's brows raised in surprise. "Wow," he exhaled. "I think you're bluffing."

          She shrugged once more, her eyes challenging. There was a fire within them and Jim was excited to dive head first into the flames. He welcomed the sting as he followed suit. Kevin looked between the two, his glasses low against his nose. "Yeah. I think she's full of it," he stated matter-of-factly. Evelyn's nose wrinkled. There was a pause before the time to flip arrived. Evelyn flipped first. A proud smile curled at the corners of her mouth. "Straight," she said, her eyes flickering toward Jim's. His lips smacked together as he turned his own cards. "Oh. Three nines."

          Kevin began to clap, slowly. "Jim Halpert, ladies and gentlemen," he declared. Evelyn smiled warmly. Her eyes not once leaving Jim's. He had lost, fair and square, and he would do it again if it meant he could see that smile on her face again. "Thank you very much," he chuckled, jokingly waving his hand in a bow. "It was fun."

          "Taking your money is very fun," she teased playfully, drawing the chips near her. He snorted. His eyes so full of love for the woman in front of him that it was almost blinding. Kevin rolled his eyes at the two. "Congratulations, Evelyn," Kevin said and the brunette nodded appreciatively back at her co-worker. "Thank you, Kevin," she replied, her tone cheery. The win had left her with a buzz. "Wanna play?" she asked. His brows shot upward. After he had gotten destroyed by Phyllis, he had retired to being the dealer. But this challenge was tempting. "I'll play you," Roy said, standing behind Jim with a lopsided grin. "Deal us in, Malone?"

          Her eyes narrowed at Roy. Jim stood to switch places with him. His hands immediately went to his pockets. He offered his girl an apologetic look. "I'm going to grab you a drink," he said, and Evelyn nodded in acknowledgement. The act enough to make her heart beat just a little bit faster. "Thank you," she replied sweetly. He winked, playfully, before slipping away. Leaving Evelyn and Roy to battle out at the cards table. Evelyn met Roy's eyes. "Are you sure you want to do this?" she asked, her tone laden with humor. "Don't you want to save up some money for your honeymoon?"

          "Wow," Roy barked out a laugh. She smiled, pleased with his reaction. If she can get under his skin, maybe she can get this money. For her cause, and a bit for bragging rights. "So, I heard you've been helping Pam out with the wedding." Her brows lifted slightly. Curiosity flooded the forefront of her mind. His eyes softened. "Thanks." She looked taken aback by his sentiment. Her head nodded almost imperceptibly. "Sure," she replied. "Someone needs to." She hadn't meant to sound so accusatory, but maybe she could make Roy understand that what he's doing isn't fair. He nodded. Arms crossed over his chest as Kevin dealt out the cards.

Their eyes met and it's like they had a silent conversation. Roy sighed. "I know you don't like me," he informed her. His gaze unwavering. "I know you think I'm bad for Pam." Her brows furrowed. It wasn't like she kept it a secret. She had always had a problem with Roy and not just for how he treated Pam. Roy's a bully. "But I love her, and you love her. Let her be happy." She scoffed.

"Can you make her happy?" she asked, tone dripping with seriousness. "Think about it for a second. Do you really believe that you can make her happy? Are you willing to make sacrifices and compromises for her and for her benefit?" He blinked. The calm demeanor he held slowly faded away. His elbows rested against the table, a finger pointing in her direction. "This is what pisses me off about you. You always act like you're better than me."

Her brows furrowed. "No, I don't," she argued instantly. Kevin cleared his throat awkwardly. Roy sat back in his chair. "Alright. Whatever. Get ready to lose everything you got," Roy warned. Her eyes rolled skyward. She was really going to enjoy taking his money.

━━━━━━━━━━

          "Smoke?"

          A plume of white exited his lips as the cold, night air encased him in a hug. A cigarette extended to him, the tip resembling a cherry. Jim shook his head, approaching Jan silently. Hands in his pockets, head hanging low. "No, thanks," he replied politely. He stood next to her, looking up at the night sky. The moon high above their heads. "You having fun?"

          She exhaled a cloud of smoke. Her lips pressed together for a moment. "Fabulous time," she replied sarcastically. She took another drag from her cigarette. Eyes narrowed at a spot on the wall in front of her, or maybe a tuft of grass that didn't sway right. Jim couldn't tell. "I drove two and a half hours to get here," she stated. Disbelief clear in her tone. Regret heavy within her light colored eyes.

          "Yeah, we all really—"

          "Left work early, drove down here," Jan interrupted Jim with no hesitation. "And I am completely underdressed." She sounded tired. Sad. Jim sighed, glancing toward the woman next to him. His shoulders lifted in a half shrug. "I think you look great," he replied. Jim always did have a thing for a woman in a suit. Powerful women, he concluded. Jan scoffed. The cigarette sat lightly between her painted lips. Her tongue touched the filter, fingers twitching with irritability. "Ugh, why did I hook up with Michael?"

          Her question was rhetorical. Jim knew that, but his own curiosity rivaled his politeness. If his mother heard that, she'd faint. He grinned, unconsciously, and turned his attention toward the blonde. "Yeah, why did you?" he questioned. She sighed. Her arm dropped to her side. The ashes from her cigarette plummeted to the ground like fallen snow. "It was very late, Jim... very late and, uh..." She wasn't sure what she could say that would excuse her actions. That would make her actions justified. And, yet, nothing came to mind. She shook her head, dropping the conversation. "Have you, um, given any more thought to the transfer?"

          His heart dropped. A sickly feeling washed over him, his chest growing tight. He stared back at her, any semblance of teasing or amusement drained from his stance and his expression. No twitch of his lips. No confidence in his posture. "Oh, yeah," he replied, clearing his throat. Jan nodded, pleased with his response. Oblivious to the inner turmoil festering inside of him. Oblivious to the inner arguments playing out in his brain and the guilt gnawing at his insides. "Good," she sighed, lifting her cigarette to take another drag. The smoke filled her lungs slowly. The smoke spilled from her nostrils and then her lips, the cloud drifting higher into the cold air. "Have you told anyone? Besides Evelyn?"

          That feeling worsened. Maybe it was the alcohol he'd consumed that inflicted the nausea. Or maybe it was the guilt eating away at him. All of his and Evelyn's conversations played out in his head. The late nights. The moments at work. The look on her face every time she brought it up. She wanted the best for him, he knew that. And yet he felt terrified to tell her that he took her up on it. That he could be leaving in no less than a month.

He swallowed. "Um, no..." An awkward smile fluttered across his face. Nausea tearing into his guts like a serrated blade. "Not even Evelyn." Jan's face morphed into a look of surprise. Even she had heard about Jim and Evelyn, how close they are. To hear him admit that he hadn't talked to her about it was surprising. "Well, you should," she said. Her tone careful. Jim nodded his head. His smile dissolved away like water on shore.

          "I know," he sighed.

━━━━━━━━━━

          Creed won. Of all people, Creed had wiped the floor with everyone. Even after her small win streak, she couldn't catch up. She joined in on the applause, watching as Creed walked off with the mini fridge. Suddenly, a cold feeling washed over her elbow. She turned abruptly to spot Jim, eyes wide. "Jesus, your hands are freezing," she blurted out in surprise. Instinctively, she wrapped her fingers around his in hopes of easing the cold. He didn't miss the gesture. It only furthered the nausea in his belly.

          "You wanna get out of here?" he asked, softly. His fingers laced with hers. A small smile playing at the corners of his mouth. Her smile grew and she shrugged nonchalantly. The chill of his touch decorated her skin with goosebumps. "Yeah, sure. Where do you—?"

          "Follow me." It wasn't a command, but he didn't leave her much room to argue. He gave a slight tug on her hand and she was his. Silently, expertly, the two maneuvered through the crowd. Inches from one another. Her dark hair shining under the warehouse lights. Jim pushed open the door leading outside and held it open for her exit. "Are you going to tell me where we're going or is it a surprise?" she asked curiously. Her arm swung around her chest as he wrapped his arm around her waist. Her shoulder then met his chest. "Do you trust me?" he answered with a question of his own, his cheek brushing her ear. Her hair tickled against his skin.

Sparkling eyes met his. "Of course," she admitted. He led her toward the main building. The cold air colored her cheeks a soft pink and nipped at his nose. He fought the urge to bury his nose in her hair. "Good," he hummed softly. It's nice to know she would follow him anywhere. Even to the ends of the earth if he asked her to. Her heels clicked quietly against the sidewalk. He held the door open for her once more and the two slipped in with no evidence. No one knew they were there.

The elevator ride up was silent. Jim held her tight from behind, face buried in her neck as the elevator music serenaded them. His mind going a hundred miles per second. And all he wants to do is hold her, and never let go. The elevator doors pulled open and Evelyn turned in Jim's arms. Her own snaked around his neck. "Is there a reason we're coming in here?" she asked as Jim walked her backwards and out of the elevator. His eyes dazzled as he led her toward the office. Toward where they worked. "It's where I met you for the first time," he stated with a smile. Her brows furrowed, her smile soft as she examined his features. Tried to read him, but... nothing.

          He pushed open the door, spinning her in his arms once more. "I saw you for the first time right there, at that desk." He pointed toward the front desk then pressed a soft kiss behind her ear. "You were in a sweater vest and pants. And you wore your hair up." A chill ran down her spine. Their footsteps silent against the carpeted floor. Her heart fluttered inside of her chest. "I can't believe you remember that," she laughed, amazed by his recollection. He chuckled, the sound rumbling against her back. He unraveled his arms from around her and nudged her forward with his knuckles against her spine. "Of course I remember. That was the day I knew that you were the one."

          "No way," she argued, playfully glaring at the man. The same man that stole her breath the day she began at Dunder Mifflin. The same man who stole her heart not long after. "Yes, way," he argued back. "What? You don't believe me?" He slipped past her and stalked toward his desk. She found herself following him, instinctually. She fell silent as he dug around his pencil cup. Two bright pink circles came out, looped around his finger. "What are those?" she asked, her voice growing smaller.

          His chest grew tight. He looked up at her with a shy smile, color casted over his round cheeks. "Um," he laughed nervously, holding up the product, "a ring made out of a post it note." Her eyes widened ever so slightly. Her own face growing warmer under his gaze. "For me?" His smile tripled in size. He took her hand in his, unconsciously gravitating toward her left hand. "For you," he answered lovingly. "Kind of as a promise, I guess. I want to marry you, Evie. Not now, but one day."

Were her eyes watering? Her breath caught in her throat. The paper slipped onto her finger. Much too big, but perfect in her eyes. "Okay," she exhaled, cheeks a bright pink. Jim smiled, bringing her hand to his lips. He kissed her knuckles softly, promptly stopping her heart. He held her hands, thumb running over her knuckles. A silence befell the room, his eyes taking in her features. The blush on her cheeks and the adoration in her eyes. He knew that now was the moment to say something.

          "I applied for the transfer," he said. Evelyn stared back at him, her face unchanging. He took that as a sign to continue. "I'm... pretty sure that I got it." Slowly, her head began to nod. Her eyes held his. "That's... that's great," she replied. She didn't smile. She didn't react in the way an excited partner would, he had noticed. But he didn't question it. "I wanted you to know first," he told her, gently.

          "I'm really proud of you, Jim." Her palm touched his cheek. Fingers curled into his hair. He leaned into her touch, his heart thumping heavy in his chest. His opposite hand moved to her waist, pulling her in closer. "I wish... I wish you could come with me," he sighed. Their foreheads pressed together. A small, sad smile curled at the ends of her mouth. Her nails scratched gently against his scalp. "It's only two hours."

          "Two and a half," Jim corrected her.

Her smile dropped slightly. A warning glance thrown his way. "Jim," she sighed. His fingers curled into her dress. Their chests fell flush together. "Evie," he responded, matching her tone. Her eyes fluttered closed. Their noses brushed, face a breath apart. Her thumb ran along the span of his cheekbone. "This'll be good for you. For us."

He nodded his head. "I know," he said. His arm wrapped tight around her, fingers running through her curled hair. She sighed. Her breath warm against his lips. "I'll visit as much as I can." He pulled away slightly, moving both hands to fit on either side of her face. Her eyes opened instantly. A soft, almost imperceptible smile crossed his features. "How about you save your money? I'll come visit you. And when the time is right..."

"Yeah. When the time is right," she agreed softy. Jim watched her eyes and how they sparkled. After a beat, he pressed a soft kiss to her lips. "You know I love you, right?" he asked. She nodded, returning his kiss completely. She sniffed, a bit embarrassed that she's gotten so emotional. "I do. And I love you too. And this ring." She lifted her hand to show off the oversized paper ring. He snorted. "Promise ring," he corrected.

"Promise ring," she corrected herself with a laugh. "My bad." He chuckled. With a grin, he pulled her back in. Their lips meeting in a sweet kiss. This would be good for them. She just knows it.

rumi says . . .
and that's a wrap folks.

after a year of writing, we have finally
finished ! this book has been a wild ride. i
have gotten so many fun comments,
and loving comments. this is one book
that has been so well received that its
insane.

i have to admit, pretty early on, i got so
scared that i wouldn't finish. i was getting
really low and my motivation just wasnt
there, but you guys really helped. every
comment kept me so in love with this
book. and for that, i am so incredibly
thankful.

i absolutely adore you guys. and i am
so happy we all were able to go through
this together.

now,, who's excited for the second book ?
and the dwight fic ?

how are you feeling about the ending ?
what was your favorite thing about
the book ?

thank you for reading!
feedback is greatly appreciated!

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

72.2K 1.9K 13
๐˜ข ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ข ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ฃ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ ๐จ๐ญ๐ญ๐ž๐ง ๐ญ๐จ ๐ง๐จ๐ซ๐ฆ๐š๐ฅ. ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฅ๐š๐ซ๐จ๐ข๐๐ฌ ๐ก๐š๐ ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ง...
2.5K 107 48
He doesn't know that I'm in love with him. He doesn't know a thing. -------------------------------- Book Two of My Best Friend's Lover As of Septemb...
326 2 20
๐™น๐šž๐šœ๐š ๐šŠ๐šœ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š๐š’๐š๐š•๐šŽ ๐šœ๐š๐šŠ๐š๐šŽ๐šœ :) [๐šŒ๐š˜๐šŸ๐šŽ๐š› ๐šŠ๐š›๐š ๐š—๐š˜๐š ๐š–๐š’๐š—๐šŽ] ๐šœ๐š๐šŠ๐š›๐š๐šŽ๐š - 8/20/22 ๐š๐š’๐š—๐š’๐šœ๐š‘๐šŽ๐š - 10/30/22
767K 11.8K 94
i wrote this back in 2017. pls ignore any mistakes i was young.