XXIII. BE COOL

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter twenty three

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    SHE SHOULD BE USED TO HER PHONE RINGING

SHE SHOULD BE USED TO HER PHONE RINGING. That's literally her job. She answers phones for a living. But every time it rings, she jumps. With a sigh, Evelyn picked up the device. "Hello, this is Dunder Mifflin customer service. This is Evelyn speaking. How may I assist you today?"

"Dwight has a thing for the purse girl."

It was Jim. His voice was hushed. Her brows lifted. "Not surprising," she replied. "Is this supposed to interest me?" Jim snorted. She could picture him leaning back in his seat. "We need your help."

Her mouth opened. It was a prank. Her eyes began to sparkle with excitement. "Oh!" she replied, unconsciously sliding closer to her phone. "Okay, what do you need?"

There was a rustling on the line before a question was pelted her way. "How do I talk to her?" It was Dwight. He seemed genuinely nervous about it. A tiny twinge of guilt tickled her stomach, but she pushed it down. "Well, maybe compliment her. Tell her she has beautiful eyes. Or that she has a nice laugh."

"What about her breasts?" Dwight asked. Evelyn's mouth opened to respond, but Jim seemed to beat her to it. "Dwight, no."

"Okay," Dwight said. "Her eyes. What about her smile?" Evelyn grimaced. "Maybe stay away from that right now. Sometimes it can come off as a bit creepy." Another familiar sound filtered into her ears, followed by a chuckle from Jim.

"Maybe Evie could come help you practice," Jim suggested, his voice strained. Her eyes automatically narrowed in a glare. Dwight gasped, the sound soft. "That's– That's not a bad idea. Evelyn."

She sighed, "Dwight."

"Meet us in the break room." She rolled her eyes silently. She was all for a prank. Sure. But now? "Alright," she replied. "See you in a sec." She didn't give Dwight enough time to answer. She hung up her phone and leaned into her chair.

To prank or not to prank. That question hung silently in the air as Evelyn sat there. Her fingers worked at a loose thread on her trousers. It wouldn't hurt. And, who knows, maybe it might work in Dwight's favor. He's not an awful person to be around. Sometimes, at the very least.

With another sigh, Evelyn stood from her seat. She walked right out of the annex and toward the break room. Jim and Dwight were already there. The shaggy haired man smiled at her as she entered. Dwight looked nervous. "Good. You're here," he stated calmly. She nodded.