LXXVII. ALL IN

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter seventy seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

DWIGHTI expect to do very well tonight

DWIGHT
I expect to do very well tonight. I have an acute ability to read people.

[ THE CAMERA CUTS FROM DWIGHT
TO JIM SITTING AT A TABLE. HE
LOOKS AT HIS CARDS BEFORE
HE COUGHS INTO HIS HAND. ]

DWIGHT
Jim for instance has a huge tell. When he gets a good hand, he coughs. When Evelyn gets a good hand, she smiles like she has something to hide.

[ THE CAMERA CUTS TO JIM
IN DWIGHT'S PLACE. ]

JIM
It's the weirdest thing. Every time I cough, Dwight folds.

[ HE LAUGHS TO HIMSELF.
OBVIOUSLY ENJOYING THE
SITUATION AT HAND. ]

━━━━━━━━━━

Evelyn glanced down at her cards and a grin fluttered across her face. Bottom lip bitten between her teeth. Jim's face lit up at the sight. Her tell so easy to clock. A chuckle rumbled through his chest. "Yeah, right," he scoffed. Her eyes flickered toward Jim. Her grin doubled in size when she took note of his tone. "Yeah, right, what?" she inquired, amused by his reaction. He mimicked her face, throwing her smile back in her face. She couldn't stop the laugh that slipped from her lips.

          "What was that?" he asked, laughing along with her. Her shoulders lifted in a slight shrug. Her cheeks a soft shade of pink. Jim felt his heart flutter. "I have good cards," she declared proudly. His face lit up. Amusement sparkling within his warm eyes. His head tilted slightly to the side. Eyes narrowed as he examined her face. Her eyes, her cheeks, her lips. "Really?" he asked, almost as if he didn't believe her. She nodded, confidently. Despite the fact Jim had helped her so many times just before. "Mhm. And... I'm gonna take you all in." She set down her cards to slide all of her chips to the middle of the table. Jim's brows raised in surprise. "Wow," he exhaled. "I think you're bluffing."

          She shrugged once more, her eyes challenging. There was a fire within them and Jim was excited to dive head first into the flames. He welcomed the sting as he followed suit. Kevin looked between the two, his glasses low against his nose. "Yeah. I think she's full of it," he stated matter-of-factly. Evelyn's nose wrinkled. There was a pause before the time to flip arrived. Evelyn flipped first. A proud smile curled at the corners of her mouth. "Straight," she said, her eyes flickering toward Jim's. His lips smacked together as he turned his own cards. "Oh. Three nines."