XXXIX. MICHAEL JIM SCOTT

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter thirty nine

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    THE ANNEX HAD BEEN RATHER QUIET

                    THE ANNEX HAD BEEN RATHER QUIET. Solitaire was starting to grate her nerves. Her head was in her hands when she heard the door pull open, and then Toby's voice. "Hey, Jim," Toby greeted their co-worker. Immediately, Evelyn's head shot up. Her hands quickly began to rake through her hair, fixing it away from her face.

"Slow day, huh," Jim commented, stepping further and further into the room. Toby hummed in response. Unconsciously, Evelyn began to chew on her bottom lip, pushing herself to her feet slightly to peer over their makeshift wall. Her eyes almost instantly met his. A beaming smile crossed his face as he walked the short distance to round the wall.

He stepped up to her desk and set his hands onto the desktop. "Hello," he hummed, flashing her a cheeky grin. Her cheeks visibly pinkened. "Hey," she replied, awkwardly. "What brings you to the annex?" Her head tilted slightly to the left and Jim felt his mouth dry. He cleared his throat, choosing to move in and take a seat on the edge of her desk. His legs brushed the arm of her chair. "Um, I thought that I would tell you... that I filled out a resume for Dwight."

Her eyebrows shot up in interest. "Oh?" He nodded his head, tongue swiping nervously over his bottom lip. She caught herself glancing toward his pink tongue, her legs squeezing together. "I put it up on a few sites like Craigslist, and, uh, you know." A snort shot from his nose, eliciting a smile from the girl next to him. "You're so mean, Three Punch Jim," she scolded him playfully.

"What can I say? Getting three hole punched could turn anyone into a villain," he replied with a simple shrug. His eyes flickered toward Kelly who wore her earphones plugged into an iPod. Quietly, he slid closer to Evelyn until he could almost fit her between his legs. Her face darkened, doe like eyes peering up at him. "So... a Halloween party."

His fingers drummed against her desk, his eyes moving toward her hands sitting in her lap. He wanted to reach forward and take them. He wanted to twist their fingers together and kiss her knuckles, and feel the warmth of her palm against his own. His tongue prodded against his cheek, eyes flickering back toward her face. "Are you going to come?" she asked, hopeful.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "There'll be beer, and Calum rented a karaoke machine." His smile faltered at the mention of the delivery boy. That familiar tight feeling sat in his chest. "I might drop by," he said. She smiled up at him, one hand moving to his. It fell over his softly, fingers shifting between his. "It'll be fun. I'm sure people will get a kick out of your costume."