LXIX. MICHAEL'S BIRTHDAY

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter sixty nine

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    EVELYN SLIPPED INTO THE BULLPEN, A BAG HIDDEN BEHIND HER BACK

                    EVELYN SLIPPED INTO THE BULLPEN, A BAG HIDDEN BEHIND HER BACK. Instantly, her eyes met Dwight's. Dwight shot out of his seat, alerting almost everyone that he was up to something. His head nodded toward the break room. "Good morning," Evelyn hummed, smiling over at Pam before making her move toward the break room. Dwight followed close behind her, glaring at anyone who looked their way. "Did you get it?" he asked, closing the door behind them.

          She held the bag out for Dwight to take. He did, snatching it from her grasp and almost ripping it open. Inside was a hand embroidered tie. "Wow," Dwight whispered. He ran a finger over the lettering before dropping down to the coffee mug. On the navy blue tie were the words, Best Boss with a coffee mug that looked just like the mug he had gotten from Dwight years prior. "How much was it?" he asked.

          "Well, when she found out it was for Michael, she was going to charge an arm and a leg," Evelyn replied. "But she gave me a daughter discount and I paifor the tie and that was it." Dwight was careful not to scrunch the fabric. He looked proudly at Evelyn. "Thank you," he sighed. "And thank your mother for me. She did an incredible job." Her eyes rolled. As if Nicole Takahashi needed anything else to fuel her ego. "It's no problem. Just... try not to call me at three in the morning again, please."

          Dwight nodded his head, and she knew that he was storing that information away. He did his best to be respectful with her, with their newfound friendship. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my desk." She gave Dwight's shoulder a pat as she passed by him, not waiting for him to respond.

━━━━━━━━━━

EVELYN
Every year on Michael's birthday, we all have to sit through his constant energy. There's cake, there's music, there's laughter. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact its
mostly only his laughter... and sometimes Dwight's.

━━━━━━━━━━

Maybe bringing cards to the party planning committee meeting wasn't a smart thing to do. But it didn't stop Evelyn from dealing them out for a fun game of Go Fish. "Dwight made the reservation so we can head out around two or three," she filled in the committee with a small smile. Angela glanced toward the brunette for a small moment. Evelyn was almost certain Dwight had informed his lover that Evelyn knew, but she didn't know for sure. "Does anyone have a seven." Pam asked, continuing their game.