LXXIV. TRANS-FER, TRANS-FER

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter seventy four

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    IT WAS EVELYN'S TURN TO TAKE HER PICTURE

                    IT WAS EVELYN'S TURN TO TAKE HER PICTURE. She sat down in the chair, raking through her hair. "Glasses on or off?" she asked. Dwight and Jim sat next to each other, scarily quiet. The photographer looked through the lens before clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth. "Off," he answered. She took off her glasses and folded the ears. With them gone, she could barely see the camera lens. Nervously, she began toying with her hair again. "You look perfect," Jim informed her. A red tint painted her cheeks.

She replied with a soft, shy smile. The photographer cleared his throat. "Ready?" Her head nodded. She sat up straighter, shoulders squared. He began to count down and she put on her best smile. The flash of the camera blinded her only slightly. "Beautiful. Thank you." Her glasses returned to her face, her vision getting clearer. "Thank you," she replied, standing from her seat.

Dwight was going next. "It's a good picture," he told her with a curt nod. She smiled wider, pleased. Dwight would never lie to her, that much she knew for certain. The two moved past one another. Evelyn took his previous seat, reaching for the ham sandwich she and Jim were splitting. "He's right. It's a great picture," Jim hummed, smiling over at his girlfriend. "But, you know, there's no way any picture of you could be ugly." She took a bite of the food, humming in delight. It had been too long since she last ate.

"You have to say that," she teased, hand covering her lips. Her brows furrowed ever so slightly as her eyes met his. "As a boyfriend, you're supposed to think I look pretty all of the time." Jim grinned. His head cocked to the side, eyes taking in her face. The hand that covered her mouth as she chewed. He felt his heart leap a bit inside of his chest. "Yeah, well, it just comes naturally with you. Boyfriend or not, I always thought you were beautiful."

"You're being annoying," Dwight commented. Their heads turned toward their bespectacled friend as he sat in front of the photographer. Evelyn couldn't help but smile at his words. Maybe they were being a bit annoying, a bit too lovey dovey. But she wasn't going to put a lid on it. She enjoyed Jim's sweet words too much to silence him. "Michael says so much worse," she said before taking another bite out of the sandwich. Jim pointed a finger in her direction, his eyes pointed at Dwight. "She has a point," he added with a smile.

Dwight cleared his throat. He whipped out his comb and began combing through his hair. Evelyn bit back a grin, focusing on the sandwich she was eating. There was a pause between the three of them. Until Jim smiled to himself. "Hey, you know what, Dwight? Maybe we should get our photo I.D. done together," Jim suggested.