LX. GOLDEN OREOS

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter sixty

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    WHEN JIM GOT TO WORK THAT DAY, THE FIRST THING HE NOTICED WAS MICHAEL IN HIS CHAIR

WHEN JIM GOT TO WORK THAT DAY, THE FIRST THING HE NOTICED WAS MICHAEL IN HIS CHAIR. He was at his desk, using his computer, acting as if this was how things always were. And then it was the warehouse guys taking furniture out of Michael's office. Wearing bandanas over their faces. "Uh, what's going on?" he asked, approaching his desk with caution.

          It wasn't until he passed Michael's door did he catch a whiff of the vulgar scent in the room. His throat tightened in disgust, face twisting into a look of pure horror. His hand flew to his nose to protect it from the fumes. "Uh, somebody left a present in there," Pam explained with her own grimace.

          "Someone shit on the carpet," Roy had deducted. Jim's face fell slack in surprise. He knew Michael and the company had enemies, but he never expected someone to actually take a crap on the establishment. "Wow," was all he could say. Michael lifted his head, finally, to acknowledge the owner of the computer. A small, apologetic smile crawled across the man's face. "Hey, Jim. I thought that we would be desk buddies while they change my carpet."

          He was never too thrilled to share his space. Not many people knew that about him, but Jim could be territorial. He was protective over his domain. And after the e-mail fiasco, he just didn't trust Michael to be on his computer. But what could he do about it? "That might be a little difficult with the one computer," Jim stated, a hint of annoyance tittering in his tone. Michael didn't seem to pick up on it.

          Michael seemed perturbed. Or like he was faking it. Jim sighed. "But there's... definitely a desk open in the back," he replied. Though it wasn't. There wasn't an open desk anywhere, but he didn't mind slipping back into the annex to spend time with his girlfriend. "Which I'll take. So... see you later."

          He turned to see Pam smiling, holding up a thumbs up. He had crushed it, at least with Michael. He could have probably been smoother with it, though. "No, no, no, seriously. I don't mind sharing," Michael spoke up, his eyes only flickering toward the large man. Jim waved him off. "No, no, no, seriously. I'll be in the back."

          He rounded Michael and took his things that had been pushed into a pile. When he turned back to the cameras, his face beamed.

━━━━━━━━━━

JIM
Whoever did that to Michael's office...