XXVII. TINY DANCER

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter twenty seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    ONE BEER WASN'T ENOUGH IT SEEMED

ONE BEER WASN'T ENOUGH IT SEEMED. Evelyn was sitting with her second glass, leaning into Jim as they shared their appetizer. "This next award," Michael announced, "goes to somebody who really lights up the office." Music flooded from the speakers. Evelyn's head rested comfortably on Jim's shoulder.

"Somebody who, I think, a lot of us cannot keep from checkin' out."

"It's Ryan," Evelyn whispered with a breathy giggle. Jim shuddered from the warmth of her breath on his neck. "The Hottest in the Office Award goes to... Ryan the Temp!"

Evelyn straightened, turning in her seat to see Ryan's look of shock. She applauded, giddily, cheeks flushing. "You were right," Jim laughed. She turned back toward Jim with a brilliant smile. "Of course!" she exclaimed. "Michael totally has a crush on him."

Her head snapped toward a passing Ryan and she cupped her hands around her mouth to cheer for him. He shook his head at her, the corners of his mouth lifting into a smile. Michael was singing along to the song, teasing Ryan with the small trophy. Back and forth, back and forth until Ryan finally caught it in his grasp.

The dark haired man raised the award toward his co-workers with an embarrassed expression. As he turned, Michael slapped his butt with a cheer. Evelyn gasped, turning toward Jim in surprise. Michael chuckled.

Jim brushed back hair from her face, her skin hot to the touch. "You okay?" he asked, his smile soft. He tucked a strand behind her ear, fingertips lazily tracing the shell. She nodded, bottom lip bitten between her teeth. "I feel good," she replied. "Tonight is going great. I'm having lots of fun!"

Jim chuckled. She leaned into his touch, cheek pressing to her shoulder. Her glasses slipped, now sitting crookedly on her face. He bit down on his lip to stifle his laugh. "Next up!" Michael exclaimed once the music had shut off. "It appears we have a reigning champion in the house!"

Evelyn looked back toward Michael, her fingers pushing her glasses back into place. Jim's eyes stayed on the brunette. His arm rested on the back of his chair, fingers itching to touch her. His head tilted slightly, biting his pointer finger between his teeth.

"The Fountain of Youth Award goes to Miss Evelyn Takahashi!" he exclaimed. Before the alcohol, she would have grimaced. However, she felt elated. She clapped her hands together, sliding from her seat. Jim's eyes widened when she teetered to the side, only for her to regain her balance almost immediately.